Apple Is Bullshit

robblok

I want to use it mainly for business. (reading tax updates and tax books). I thought about kindle first but its a bit small plus many of my tax books have loads of colors and i get a lot of tax articles by email.

Kindle isn't great at handling PDF files. The Sony range of e-readers are better for those who have a lot of PDF stuff to read.

Cant complain about the way apple handles the pdf files. For me its an e reader plus a lot of other things. At first i was thinking kindle but the fact that it was black and white put me off plus that it was a bit too small. The ipad is bigger has color and (is good online)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A mate of mine has a top range Ipad2. I love playing with it. It's brilliant. Only 2 problems. It cost 700 quid and Steve Jobs tells him what he can and cannot do with it. Android for me.

Yea that was actually a cold shower finding out that it was really limited by the shop. Like i said before i fell for the hype.

Still its a great product and i like what it does but it does have it limitations and i never heard anything about those kind of things before in the apple forum. That is actually why i post it here. To let people see some negative aspects of an otherwise great product.

I did post this with the iPad so I do like it and it can be used for stuff like this. It is of course harder then my pc but then again can't take the pc up in my bedroom.

Too bad Internet is bad once I leave the house.

US Store has much much more content on tv shows, music, movies and apps.

Or get a Usunlocked.com Visa card.

^ that's an awesome service!

Is the world-wide, or rest-of-the-world app store that much worse than the US one? I thought most apps are simply available everywhere?

For music and tv, clearly the markets are just as separated as the real world ones, (no) thanks to the rights holders. But for apps?

I only have the US store so I don't know.

When you upload an app for sale you can choose the markets that it is available for sale in. I would guess that most apps are available everywhere. Some apps such as the BBC iPlayer (for example) only seem to be available in the UK store as that is the only country they are supposed to work in, Netflix is not available in the UK store and so on.

Don't think this has been mentioned, just open a Thai bank account with , say B1000, and they will give you a debit card, or as in the case of KBank an online trading card. Simple

Nope doesn't work on US iTunes accounts. Only Thailand app store.

I like that i know of it now but i think its appalling that there are such divisions. When Microsoft does it (and they do) everyone calls them evil, but for apple it seems to be ok.

Actually it was all down to the TV Network / Music Publisher / Movie studios. That is why there is worldwide restrictions on payment. If Apple had there way they would allow any card in any country for any download from the iTunes store.

And for those not tried the us unlocked.com visa card. You can watch Hulu Plus, Netflix, Amazon On Demand and basically anything else you want from iTunes store using it. Really is awesome.

Jessica at epointsdelivered.com is also very very reliable and codes usually emailed within hours for a couple of dollars more than the face value. Highly recommended.

Edited by negreanu

Kindle isn't great at handling PDF files. The Sony range of e-readers are better for those who have a lot of PDF stuff to read.

Goodreader app on the iPad for viewing any PDF files is the way to go these days.

The only advantage of the sony readers and indeed the kindle these days is the readability on the beach or next to the pool and battery life.

Edited by negreanu

Goodreader app on the iPad for viewing any PDF files is the way to go these days.

The only advantage of the sony readers and indeed the kindle these days is the readability on the beach or next to the pool and battery life.

Is that reader better then ibooks ? I just used the ibooks app. I am still figuring out how to really convert my tax books to pdf. (on my pc) They are an cd and when i print to pdf i get files that are quite large. I suspect they did not convert it to txt pdf but image pdf.

Is that reader better then ibooks ? I just used the ibooks app. I am still figuring out how to really convert my tax books to pdf. (on my pc) They are an cd and when i print to pdf i get files that are quite large. I suspect they did not convert it to txt pdf but image pdf.

I find it much better as there is so much more you can do with it. such as download files directly into good reader from server. Use Dropbox. Highlight etc.

I use it for all my work manuals etc. Probably my number 1 purchase app for iPad.

In Acrobat try the reduce file size option - may or may not work well depending on what your conversion consists of.

Edited by negreanu

I find it much better as there is so much more you can do with it. such as download files directly into good reader from server. Use Dropbox. Highlight etc.

I use it for all my work manuals etc. Probably my number 1 purchase app for iPad.

In Acrobat try the reduce file size option - may or may not work well depending on what your conversion consists of.

Main reason for buying the ipad was hoping i would read more of my tax books while fishing or waiting for my gf or in traffic. Stuff like that, problem is the Dutch e book is not suited for any of the ebook readers (you have to install with their software probably for security). So far the files are big and i would pay a lot of money if the internal links worked like they worked on the normal program.

You don't need a credit card.

I have app store accounts in both Thailand and USA and could have in several other countries if I wanted. No credit card required.

This isn't difficult.

I agree.. now that i know.

But it could have been much easier if apple had given the option no creditcard once you apply for an ID. Now you have to do it with a workaround.

For a company who is hyped to be so user friendly its not a great point would you not agree.

Thanks to the users here i have a fair idea how to create a workaround.

Don't think this has been mentioned, just open a Thai bank account with , say B1000, and they will give you a debit card, or as in the case of KBank an online trading card. Simple

I like that i know of it now but i think its appalling that there are such divisions. When Microsoft does it (and they do) everyone calls them evil, but for apple it seems to be ok.

Actually it was all down to the TV Network / Music Publisher / Movie studios. That is why there is worldwide restrictions on payment. If Apple had there way they would allow any card in any country for any download from the iTunes store.

And for those not tried the us unlocked.com visa card. You can watch Hulu Plus, Netflix, Amazon On Demand and basically anything else you want from iTunes store using it. Really is awesome.

Jessica at epointsdelivered.com is also very very reliable and codes usually emailed within hours for a couple of dollars more than the face value. Highly recommended.

Exactly what I was going to say. Seems to be a lot of whinging going on here about how Apple is making it difficult to buy stuff from this or that country store. Think about it for a minute: Apple are in the business to make money. They would love to be able to sell you whatever you want, whichever country you are in, and using any credit card from any country. But they can't. Why? Just like Negreanu said: it's because of the content owners' restrictions that they have put on Apple, or because app developers only allow their apps to be sold in certain countries.

So if you are not in one of the countries in which the content owners have licensed their products to be sold by Apple, you are circumventing the system that was mandated by the content owners. Yes, it might be complicated, but it's not because Apple do not want to take your money.

Exactly what I was going to say. Seems to be a lot of whinging going on here about how Apple is making it difficult to buy stuff from this or that country store. Think about it for a minute: Apple are in the business to make money. They would love to be able to sell you whatever you want, whichever country you are in, and using any credit card from any country. But they can't. Why? Just like Negreanu said: it's because of the content owners' restrictions that they have put on Apple, or because app developers only allow their apps to be sold in certain countries.

So if you are not in one of the countries in which the content owners have licensed their products to be sold by Apple, you are circumventing the system that was mandated by the content owners. Yes, it might be complicated, but it's not because Apple do not want to take your money.

Just think about it.. apple is not a small company and can make a fist too if they want. Apple makes sure you have to use their software and their shop. The least they can do is make it as good and easy as possible.

The fact that i have to use work around for not inputting a credit card standard is crazy. All i am saying apple is just a company that has been hyped a lot. They make stylish products but they are not that much better as any other company like say mircosoft or pc producers. They just have good marketing.

Good enough that i fell for it. Does not mean i don't like my ipad. But i expected more ease of use from Apple. After reading a bit more in this forum i found out there are more people with problems. So its just like any other company not perfect. Not living up to its hype.

Still waiting for their support to contact me. About my credit card.

Edited by robblok

Just think about it.. apple is not a small company and can make a fist too if they want. Apple makes sure you have to use their software and their shop. The least they can do is make it as good and easy as possible.

Apple doesn't make you use their software. You do have to use their operating system on their devices, just like you have to use Windows on a PC. Past that, you can develop, buy or use any software you like.

Sure, they want you to use their shop. Sort of like Google has you buy apps from their Android Market shop. That's only for iPad and iPhones. For computers, of course you can buy software anywhere you like. Guess I don't see the difference.

The fact that i have to use work around for not inputting a credit card standard is crazy.

I think it's crazy as well. But do you honestly think Apple made it "crazy"? You realize of course that Apple are losing untold millions in sales because of restricting certain downloads of music, films and apps to certain countries. So what is your point? That Apple is arrogant and just creating a system to piss you off, although such a system will cost them millions or billions in sales?

All i am saying apple is just a company that has been hyped a lot. They make stylish products but they are not that much better as any other company like say mircosoft or pc producers. They just have good marketing.

So Microsoft has Zune and H-P has (had) tablets. It looks like the market sort of decided who had the better product, and I seriously doubt than any amount of hype would have made Zune a success. Or Microsoft Clippy either, for that matter.

Good enough that i fell for it. Does not mean i don't like my ipad. But i expected more ease of use from Apple. After reading a bit more in this forum i found out there are more people with problems. So its just like any other company not perfect. Not living up to its hype.

Really, it's not too late! You can flog your iPad for nearly what you paid for it and go buy a Galaxy Tab. Sure, it's nearly a carbon copy clone of an iPad and Samsung are facing loads of suits because of that, but it's not Apple and surely you will be much happier. Only one thing. You'll be using the Android Market and you'll need to start over from square one about how to do workarounds for foreign credit cards. But Android Market makes it even more tricky, because they extract your SIM card information and obtain your country information, and your SIM card has to match your credit card. For example:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?tid=00b35339890a3998&hl=en

Edited by bubba

You kinda missed my point, what i am saying is i like the i pad but its not as good as the marketing boys made me believe it is. I dont believe the Samsung is any better.

Its just that whenever i talked with a mac fanboy they were always raving about how bad pc / Microsoft is and how good and easy Apple is.

Fact is that Apple has its faults too but a much better working pr system.

You wont see me selling my IPAD i will live with the workarounds just expected more after all those raving endorsements of Apple and now that i have one i see its just an other product form just an other company.

I am real thankful that people here helped me get around the credit card thing.

Plus the Kindle's free worldwide book delivery via 3G/GSM. No contract - no cost.

Plus the Kindle's free worldwide book delivery via 3G/GSM. No contract - no cost.

I already got a kindle app on my ipad. I just go into the amazon shop and done. So ipad can use kindle too.

Im not so sure how good the IPAD is for reading in the sun so far just used it once outside while i was fishing but i was sitting in the shade.

I already got a kindle app on my ipad. I just go into the amazon shop and done. So ipad can use kindle too.

You can also get Kindle for PC and for Android. It will sync your last read page across all devices. The Kindle has built-in GSM which can be used in ~100 countries and is free. You don't need a GSM contract so you can sit on the beach and order a book through your Kindle and it will be delivered within a minute or two.

You can also get Kindle for PC and for Android. It will sync your last read page across all devices. The Kindle has built-in GSM which can be used in ~100 countries and is free. You don't need a GSM contract so you can sit on the beach and order a book through your Kindle and it will be delivered within a minute or two.

That's really interesting...I didn't know that. So how does it work? Do you mean that every Kindle comes with some sort of GSM service that is always active worldwide (or in 100 or so countries) at no cost to deliver the books you order from Amazon?

You kinda missed my point, what i am saying is i like the i pad but its not as good as the marketing boys made me believe it is. I dont believe the Samsung is any better.

Its just that whenever i talked with a mac fanboy they were always raving about how bad pc / Microsoft is and how good and easy Apple is.

You wont see me selling my IPAD i will live with the workarounds just expected more after all those raving endorsements of Apple and now that i have one i see its just an other product form just an other company.

OK, so maybe Apple isn't exactly "bullshit". So is the whole problem that you have "now that you have seen one" is the difficulty in circumventing the country-based credit card requirements that content providers have required Apple (and Android) to comply with? What about the hardware, operating system, design, function, build quality...the things that Apple has some control over.

I'm not sure whether I am missing your point, but why exactly is the iPad "not as good as the marketing boys" made you believe it is?

But Android Market makes it even more tricky, because they extract your SIM card information and obtain your country information, and your SIM card has to match your credit card. For example:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?tid=00b35339890a3998&hl=en

Wow - that's a bit shocking... is that intentional? Why would you make it extra hard to buy stuff?

Like I said, I get it with music and video, that's thanks to the idiocy of the rights holders. But apps... ?!

^^ @bubba - yes the Kindle is the one and only GSM device that has world wide data that works without fuss. I wonder why Amazon can do that, and nobody else can though? Amazon made deals in many countries around the world. The SIM will connect to one of the carriers Amazon has a contract with, they charge data to Amazon, and Amazon charges books to you.

I suppose it works because books are relatively small and relatively expensive so Amazon can offer carriers a good deal for this data use.

I'm not sure whether I am missing your point, but why exactly is the iPad "not as good as the marketing boys" made you believe it is?

My guess: Entering the post-PC world is the hardest for "PC experts". Hard to change one's ways... on the other hand if you never really used a PC that much iOS is easy.

I'll admit that signing up without credit card can be confusing at times though. Apple could have solved this better.

That's really interesting...I didn't know that. So how does it work? Do you mean that every Kindle comes with some sort of GSM service that is always active worldwide (or in 100 or so countries) at no cost to deliver the books you order from Amazon?

Yes it's actually 3G/GSM/EDGE depending on what signal is available in your area - that's assuming you buy the 3G version rather than the wifi only version (£40 dearer). Thailand is one of the included countries although Ive not actually tried it there. I shall be doing so in November ;)

You have built-in access to the Kindle Store from your Kindle and there's also a (very) rudimentary web browser built in so you can go to Gutenberg.org and download freebies from there.

Coverage map here.

I'm not sure if there's any difference with the US version of the Kindle. I know that, as a UK Kindler, there are some books I can't buy if my registered address is the UK but that's for copyright reasons I think. I think there are ways to get round this though.

I also think that if you're an international buyer you have to buy from the US website so you get a US Kindle.

As I said I had a Sony reader before the Kindle. The Sony is better built and handles PDFs better but the Kindle just works. Amazon has Kindle software for multiple platforms so you can start reading on one and all the other will know what page you've reached.

The Ipad is a much more accomplished machine as it's designed to do many things but it's expensive and heavier than the Kindle. The Kindle is brilliant for what it was designed for - reading (and buying) books. I'm really pleased with mine.

Thanks, did not know that. I got an ipad now so i wont be getting a kindle. Much of my reading should be pdf tax books. So the kindle lost out there.

OK, so maybe Apple isn't exactly "bullshit". So is the whole problem that you have "now that you have seen one" is the difficulty in circumventing the country-based credit card requirements that content providers have required Apple (and Android) to comply with? What about the hardware, operating system, design, function, build quality...the things that Apple has some control over.

I like the IPAD else i would not have bought it. It does what i want it to do. Just get tired of the shop. Still no response from apple support. I think ill just make an other account and do what nikster says. DO have to check it a bit more to see how i can do it. But i get basically how he did it.

But the system design and so on are good of the IPAD.

My guess: Entering the post-PC world is the hardest for "PC experts". Hard to change one's ways... on the other hand if you never really used a PC that much iOS is easy.

I'll admit that signing up without credit card can be confusing at times though. Apple could have solved this better.

Yes they could have solved that better. I wont be leaving my pc any day soon as i use it for my work. Program wise and comparability wise i would not want to work with a mac.

My window 7 pc runs as a train never a problem. Maybe because i went legal. I think most crap comes from illegal windows versions and installing and de installing crap.

But the ipad will help me with my work as an e reader and mobile email checker. Plus some other fun of course.

Just some advice for people who like me like to read get the kindle app too there is a larger selection of books and of course there are the free ebooks you can get everywhere. The selection the apple store has is a bit limited.

Does anyone has a suggestion for a good provider. I got AIS because i thought with its 3g it might have a good edge network too... it does not.

At home its no problem got a wifi router here and it gives me good internet. But when im out fishing and i want to see some stuff on the internet it does not even have signal and its in the suburbs of Bangkok.

First about Kindle. I suppose you do know that there are apps for iPad as well as for Android tablets to access, download and read your Kindle books? And on your tablet, the books and its pictures will be in color. You can synchronize the books throughout all your Kindle devices.

Setting up an account in amazon.com is easy and not country-limited.

But accessing Internet through the phone/tablet/Kindle here in Thailand is frustrating due to very low speed. Even 3G has an average of 500kbs, not more. That's because it's not a "real" 3G. Real 3G would be on 2100MHz, whereas AIS, True are on the 850/900 MHz band and offer at best 2 Mbs (AIS) 4Mbs (True), but that never happens in real life.

My advice: synchronize your Kindle books with the tablet and download the "archived" books before you leave home (where you hopefully have WiFi)

"I also think that if you're an international buyer you have to buy from the US website so you get a US Kindle."

I live in Thailand, bought my Kindle from the USA and buy e-books from the UK Amazon store using my Thai credit card.