Apple Is Bullshit

robblok

I'm not sure whether I am missing your point, but why exactly is the iPad "not as good as the marketing boys" made you believe it is?

My guess: Entering the post-PC world is the hardest for "PC experts". Hard to change one's ways... on the other hand if you never really used a PC that much iOS is easy.

I'll admit that signing up without credit card can be confusing at times though. Apple could have solved this better.

Yes they could have solved that better. I wont be leaving my pc any day soon as i use it for my work. Program wise and comparability wise i would not want to work with a mac.

My window 7 pc runs as a train never a problem. Maybe because i went legal. I think most crap comes from illegal windows versions and installing and de installing crap.

But the ipad will help me with my work as an e reader and mobile email checker. Plus some other fun of course.

I think it's just what you're used to. You can run Windows on a Mac. I really like the Mac OS personally, but I've been using it since 1995. I was over at a friend's house the other day showing him how to play the 400 GB of music I had put on an external HD that was formatted in NTFS. I found a program that would allow Mac OS to write to a NTFS disc. But when using his less than a year old top of the line Dell, I was thinking, man this thing is slow! Plus the drives don't mount to your desktop automatically like with the Mac OS, I had to go to Windows, computer, drive I. Ugg! I don't know what software you run for your work, but at my work we have a saying. Macs are for work and PC's are for playing games!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's just what you're used to. You can run Windows on a Mac. I really like the Mac OS personally, but I've been using it since 1995. I was over at a friend's house the other day showing him how to play the 400 GB of music I had put on an external HD that was formatted in NTFS. I found a program that would allow Mac OS to write to a NTFS disc. But when using his less than a year old top of the line Dell, I was thinking, man this thing is slow! Plus the drives don't mount to your desktop automatically like with the Mac OS, I had to go to Windows, computer, drive I. Ugg! I don't know what software you run for your work, but at my work we have a saying. Macs are for work and PC's are for playing games!

I am an accountant and have to send out loads of data that has to be compatible with the rest of the business world. Truthfully Mac's aren't accepted world wide in the office environment and probably will never be.

The only place you see them a lot is in graphical companies. I got many web designer clients who use a Mac but they also run windows virtually ... why because most people use windows and their sites have to be up to windows specs.

Take a mac and a pc for the same amount of money and the pc will easily outperform the Mac. I got 2 nice ssd's in my computers and a finely tuned windows 7. It blows most computers out of the water. But you can't compare apples with pears. Your friends computers might have been cheap and yours expensive ect. But for the same price the mac wont win because they are expensive toys.

I must say i do like my ipad for what i bought it for. After 4 days apple did solve my credit card problems so i did not have to jailbreak my ipad. (i dont like that that much like to do things legally).

Now i got a nice e reader plus (its more then an e reader of course but for me that is its main purpose). Its good that it gets all my emails with tax news and i can read them anywhere. That is how i used to study in the train or busses or other places where i had to wait. When im home i always got better things to do. So now i got mobile device for when im stuck in traffic or waiting for the gf.

I am an accountant and have to send out loads of data that has to be compatible with the rest of the business world. Truthfully Mac's aren't accepted world wide in the office environment and probably will never be.

The only place you see them a lot is in graphical companies. I got many web designer clients who use a Mac but they also run windows virtually ... why because most people use windows and their sites have to be up to windows specs.

Take a mac and a pc for the same amount of money and the pc will easily outperform the Mac. I got 2 nice ssd's in my computers and a finely tuned windows 7. It blows most computers out of the water. But you can't compare apples with pears. Your friends computers might have been cheap and yours expensive ect. But for the same price the mac wont win because they are expensive toys.

I must say i do like my ipad for what i bought it for. After 4 days apple did solve my credit card problems so i did not have to jailbreak my ipad. (i dont like that that much like to do things legally).

Now i got a nice e reader plus (its more then an e reader of course but for me that is its main purpose). Its good that it gets all my emails with tax news and i can read them anywhere. That is how i used to study in the train or busses or other places where i had to wait. When im home i always got better things to do. So now i got mobile device for when im stuck in traffic or waiting for the gf.

You're a bit out of touch, lost in the PC world! When I was just at Los Angels International Airport last month, everyone in suits waiting for their plane had a MacBook Pro open. I didn't see one PC! I've been running Microsoft Office for Mac since 1995. Macs can run Windows, not virtually anymore, but I have never needed to. I will agree they do cost more, but that's about it... Also Macs will blow a Widows computer out of the water due to it's OS not being so bloated! I work in the entertainment industry. I used to set up trade show booths for Microsoft. Guess what they had running back stage for their computer graphics; Macs. Movies are all edited on Macs, so is music. You don't think those files are hugh? We use Mac Pro's that you can get with two 2.93GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon "Westmere" processors (12 cores) and 64 GB of RAM. So much for being "toys."

Edited by Jimi007

Just curious: what sort of "loads of data" formats do you send out that are not "compatible" with Mac OSX users? Of course, you can run Windows on a Mac, but I mean what file formats are you using that don't work on a Mac?

Just curious: what sort of "loads of data" formats do you send out that are not "compatible" with Mac OSX users? Of course, you can run Windows on a Mac, but I mean what file formats are you using that don't work on a Mac?

The one I can think of off the top of my head is an .exe. Funny it's what my accountant uses to send me my tax questionnaire.

The one I can think of off the top of my head is an .exe. Funny it's what my accountant uses to send me my tax questionnaire.

For one my accounting software is not made for mac. To be honest most accounting software is not. (im sure you can get some none professional software for it but no real professional Dutch accounting software) So that kinda settles it right there. There is not much serious company specific software around for mac. Why make a mac version if its only a minority using it.

Some of my tax program cd's wont function on a mac.

I think you will be hard pressed to find much software that is real company specific to work on a mac. I am not talking about general software. The market is big enough for that.

Running windows on a mac.. that is kinda stupid id say. I mean you pay a premium for a Mac only to use it as a windows machine. So yes i might be able to run my accounting software that is made for windows on a mac. But not in native mode.

You're a bit out of touch, lost in the PC world! When I was just at Los Angels International Airport last month, everyone in suits waiting for their plane had a MacBook Pro open. I didn't see one PC! I've been running Microsoft Office for Mac since 1995. Macs can run Windows, not virtually anymore, but I have never needed to. I will agree they do cost more, but that's about it... Also Macs will blow a Widows computer out of the water due to it's OS not being so bloated! I work in the entertainment industry. I used to set up trade show booths for Microsoft. Guess what they had running back stage for their computer graphics; Macs. Movies are all edited on Macs, so is music. You don't think those files are hugh? We use Mac Pro's that you can get with two 2.93GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon "Westmere" processors (12 cores) and 64 GB of RAM. So much for being "toys."

Truthfully that is the only thing macs are better at graphics and videos. That is where they were made for long before mac's were cool they were used in that area.

Lets make a bet that if i get a pc with windows 7 put the operating system and some software on it. You do the same for a mac ill win price wise. For sure and if i spend as much as you do ill be faster too.

You can say windows is bloated.. sure if you let it become bloated. Money wise macs are expensive toys because of the brand not performance.

But as i said b4 ill grant you this on graphics and movies they are far superior, always have been.

Again, if i report to a bank and it needs to be in the format of a accepted report that are exported from accounting software. I am not talking pdf here but something that contains other data and is in a format specially made for those programs.

Sure if a mac can run windows i can install it on it but then i got an expensive toy that does the same for more money :D That would not be wise at all.

Again, if i report to a bank and it needs to be in the format of a accepted report that are exported from accounting software. I am not talking pdf here but something that contains other data and is in a format specially made for those programs.

Sure if a mac can run windows i can install it on it but then i got an expensive toy that does the same for more money :D That would not be wise at all.

Is it an exe program? And yes most businesses will buy whatever is cheapest...

Its just the software and then it has a file format that can only be read by an other instance of that software.

The PC is not only cheapest but best too. Better to have a PC that is much faster as a mac for the same money.

I would agree with you if there was something extra to be had by taking a mac. But in this case there is not.

Windows 7 is great best of the operating systems ever.

But this whole apple versus pc is getting boring.

It was about an IPAD and me finding out that apple is only just a company and its products are a hype (not meaning they are not good). I like my ipad there is no PC that can do what it can for me. So there it wins.

Apple just does not always win. Seems to be hard for Mac die hards to accept.

Its just the software and then it has a file format that can only be read by an other instance of that software.

The PC is not only cheapest but best too. Better to have a PC that is much faster as a mac for the same money.

For you and what you do it's the best... Apple OS is unix based. The hardware is same pretty much, made by Intel, it just has to be up to Apple's specs.

For you and what you do it's the best... Apple OS is unix based. The hardware is same pretty much, made by Intel, it just has to be up to Apple's specs.

That is the whole point you have to do what is best for you and not what others say.

I got this ipad thinking it would be more then just a machine better as all else. But because im not a fan of apple i could see its just an other prodcut. That works good and has great marketing. But its not lightyears ahead of everything else. That is the thing im trying to tell everyone.

Now my problem with the apple store is hopefully done (it was the Thai store not US one). Other then that i like it a lot. It is for me a great addition to what i already own on IT products. I like how Gmail is integrated. I like how i can read my ebooks. So im not putting it down. But it had its problems just like everything else can have problems (just read this part of the forum)

I also had problems with edge from ais but i never blamed apple for that. I just blamed myself and ais because i thought ais is the most expensive and thus best. It was not now it seems to work.

I did experience freezes in big pdf (500mb and i have to switch the device off and reboot to get it to work again) documents while every Apple fanatic that i know always claims there are never problems with freezes and its a windows thing.

wow that's a huge PDF...wonder if you can resize it somehow? Also, the app, Goodreader, is the best out there for reading pdfs on an ipad, plus it does a great job with just about any other graph/text file....beautiful little app!

The Ipad is a much more accomplished machine as it's designed to do many things but it's expensive and heavier than the Kindle. The Kindle is brilliant for what it was designed for - reading (and buying) books. I'm really pleased with mine.

I use my Kindle for reading novels and other books, and my iPad for everything else! As well, the torrent sites will lead you to vast collections of popular fiction and non fiction......just a hint.

I did experience freezes in big pdf (500mb and i have to switch the device off and reboot to get it to work again) documents while every Apple fanatic that i know always claims there are never problems with freezes and its a windows thing.

wow that's a huge PDF...wonder if you can resize it somehow? Also, the app, Goodreader, is the best out there for reading pdfs on an ipad, plus it does a great job with just about any other graph/text file....beautiful little app!

Using the iPad to post. Yes it's a big file. It's 900 pages. It is a print from a carom tax book. I know it's possible to get it smaller. A smarter guy then me did it with a previous year it was only 3mb and not images but searchable text. He must have cracked or disabled the protection.

Using the iPad to post. Yes it's a big file. It's 900 pages. It is a print from a carom tax book. I know it's possible to get it smaller. A smarter guy then me did it with a previous year it was only 3mb and not images but searchable text. He must have cracked or disabled the protection.

It depends what program you use to "burn" it. when I make a PDF I like to use 'dopdf'. Great windows program for making PDFs.

Kindle isn't great at handling PDF files. The Sony range of e-readers are better for those who have a lot of PDF stuff to read.

Goodreader app on the iPad for viewing any PDF files is the way to go these days.

The only advantage of the sony readers and indeed the kindle these days is the readability on the beach or next to the pool and battery life.

Some other advantages of Sony reader:

-Easier on the eyes, especially if you're using it for long reading sessions

-Smaller and more portable

-PDF reflow is the best i've seen

-75% cheaper than iPad

It depends what program you use to "burn" it. when I make a PDF I like to use 'dopdf'. Great windows program for making PDFs.

Tried it, i get the same result, before that i used adobe and nitro. So it must be some sort of security measure. I looked in all settings if i could force it to make it searchable text instead of image pdfs.

Running windows on a mac.. that is kinda stupid id say. I mean you pay a premium for a Mac only to use it as a windows machine. So yes i might be able to run my accounting software that is made for windows on a mac. But not in native mode.

Actually, Windows 7 and all other Windows do run 64 bit Intel native on Macs. Windows can be installed and run native on a Mac using the included Bootcamp, and your Mac boots up into Windows just like any other PC, and at equal performance. You also have the option of running an emulator such as Parallels.

For sure, Dutch accounting software is indeed very specific software and of course does not have any Mac equivalents. But we work in a mixed PC/Mac environment and it works for us. For accounting, we use Oracle Financials on both Windows and Mac, and I would call that a rather serious business accounting package.

When comparing cost of ownership (including support and security issues) and performance issues, many companies do not consider Macs to be "expensive toys". We spec MacBook Airs for our staff who travel and require notebooks simply because there is no Windows-based equivalent with that size and performance at the US$999 price point, although recently there are a lot of carbon copies emerging. For junior staff who spend their days doing Excel spreadsheets, we use cheap Windows boxes. Although PCs are more expensive to support than a Mac machine, and a cheap PC provides much lower computing performance than say an iMac, we figure that the cost differential is worth it for those users. In general, we do find that Macs are just plain more reliable, both from OS stability issues and from hardware quality. But then, I suppose that would be sort of an obvious Yugo vs. Benz argument.

By the way, most IT professionals do agree that Macs have a lower cost of ownership than PCs. For example, from cio.com:

http://www.cio.com/article/569163/Are_Macs_Really_Cheaper_To_Manage_Than_PCs_

In the end, if you are a small, single person office, I suppose it's all a matter of what you prefer.

Actually, Windows 7 and all other Windows do run 64 bit Intel native on Macs. Windows can be installed and run native on a Mac using the included Bootcamp, and your Mac boots up into Windows just like any other PC, and at equal performance. You also have the option of running an emulator such as Parallels.

For sure, Dutch accounting software is indeed very specific software and of course does not have any Mac equivalents. But we work in a mixed PC/Mac environment and it works for us. For accounting, we use Oracle Financials on both Windows and Mac, and I would call that a rather serious business accounting package.

When comparing cost of ownership (including support and security issues) and performance issues, many companies do not consider Macs to be "expensive toys". We spec MacBook Airs for our staff who travel and require notebooks simply because there is no Windows-based equivalent with that size and performance at the US$999 price point, although recently there are a lot of carbon copies emerging. For junior staff who spend their days doing Excel spreadsheets, we use cheap Windows boxes. Although PCs are more expensive to support than a Mac machine, and a cheap PC provides much lower computing performance than say an iMac, we figure that the cost differential is worth it for those users. In general, we do find that Macs are just plain more reliable, both from OS stability issues and from hardware quality. But then, I suppose that would be sort of an obvious Yugo vs. Benz argument.

By the way, most IT professionals do agree that Macs have a lower cost of ownership than PCs. For example, from cio.com:

http://www.cio.com/article/569163/Are_Macs_Really_Cheaper_To_Manage_Than_PCs_

In the end, if you are a small, single person office, I suppose it's all a matter of what you prefer.

I still don't agree that if you have a budget of say 1000$ and you can choose to spend it on mac or on pc that you will get equal performance. Mac is more expensive period. Computing cost of support is hard but that again depends on the demand on support.

We can do an easy test get an amount and then we see who gets the fastest HD processor most memory ect. I think you will loose there.

Dutch accounting software is real specific and i believe you if you can run windows on a mac. But what is the point for the same amount of money i can have a faster and better machine. Ok it might not look as trendy but under the hood its faster and better. (see previous point)

Graphics movie editing.. buy a mac. (i don't believe pc's can win there)

Other things up to the company and i can get webpages saying the exact opposite of you. So its not a fact that your stating just an opinion (as i have one).

Its just that i did not buy into the hype, sometimes mac lovers are like a sect. You cant say anything bad about a mac or not being totally in love with it or you will be burned on a stake. I would not defend my pc like that its a tool not a member of my family or a loved one. I can also accept faults in pc's

But to make it clear again i like the ipad for what it does. But i ran into problems just like i would have with any other piece of equipment. So its not special, just look at the questions for support in this forum alone.

Other thing it was the THAI not US webshop that i was trying to use my credit card with.

On an other thread i was complaining about AIS never did i say there the IPAD was to blame. It was not, if anyone was to blame it was me for not listening to the GF who with her IPHONE uses DTAC. I saw 3g and thought.. then AIS must be better and surely will have coverage of edge in the rest of the country.

This will be an endless discussion lets agree to disagree.

I am happy with the ipad more then before when i posted this i was more frustrated with the shop and my credit card (and before that the 5002 errors when creating accounts) showing me it was just a product and things could go wrong too.

Just to show im not totally against Apple i just recommended my parents to get an Ipad. IMHO its idiot proof meaning my mom can work without without destroying it. (all she ever does is surf the web and chat with me) Play some games and that is it.

That cant be said of the home pc at my parents. I wonder if a Mac is just as idiot proof.

Just to show im not totally against Apple i just recommended my parents to get an Ipad. IMHO its idiot proof meaning my mom can work without without destroying it. (all she ever does is surf the web and chat with me) Play some games and that is it.

That cant be said of the home pc at my parents. I wonder if a Mac is just as idiot proof.

No a Mac is a computer and it can be messed up like a PC. Although they seem to be a bit easier for most novices. And there is a thing called time machine, that automatically backs up your computer every hour and you can go back to any hour in the current day or any day that it is running . So that kind of idiot proofs it. It requires an external HD. There is also Time Capsule that is an external drive connected to your wifi router for backup. An iPad is a "device" so they really mess it up. The new iOS 5 which is due out pretty soon is supposed to make devices more independent of a computer that you need now to update the OS and backup. Apple with the release is introducing a cloud service to backup your device and Mac running OS 10.7. You can read about it on their website. Just wondering, have you ever used a Mac?

Edited by Jimi007

No a Mac is a computer and it can be messed up like a PC. Although they seem to be a bit easier for most novices. And there is a thing called time machine, that automatically backs up your computer every hour and you can go back to any hour in the current day or any day that it is running . So that kind of idiot proofs it. It requires an external HD. There is also Time Capsule that is an external drive connected to your wifi router for backup. An iPad is a "device" so they really mess it up. The new iOS 5 which is due out pretty soon is supposed to make devices more independent of a computer that you need now to update the OS and backup. Apple with the release is introducing a cloud service to backup your device and Mac running OS 10.7. You can read about it on their website. Just wondering, have you ever used a Mac?

I used mac's in the time before pentium processors. I also used an commodore16/64 and an amiga that was superior to Mac and PC. Too bad they never made it because there were more pc's/

But what you are talking about is for me easy (time machine) But not for my parents so i think it will be an Ipad. The vote is still out on that one because now they want to buy one in Thailand in November when they visit. It will save them over 150 Euro. I just hope it can be used back home then. I am not so happy about all those restrictions Apple places on things and price differences in countries. So they might have something in place to make sure my parents cant buy it here and use it back home.

:rolleyes:

Let me hijack this topic just a lttle.

I have been a user of Norton anti-virus for years. Last month my three year subscription was running out.

No problem, I'll just renew as I have Norton user account.

So I went on-line here from Bangkok to the Norton update site.

Everything was going fine until I came to the address part. I now live in Bangkok, but Norton wil not accept a BILLING ADDRESS IN THAILND. Now I wanted to pay for the renewal with my ATM/DEBIT card from a U.S. bank...but no, that wasn't possible. The credit card was fine, accepted, but Norton refused to process the card because my BILLING ADDRESS was in Thailand. So no can do, must have a billing address ouside of Thailand.

So, the result was this:

I went to Fortune Tower and found a LEGITIMATE copy of the Norton software I wanted on sale for 1230 Baht. I installed it, and Norton offered me FREE upgrade to the latest 2011 version of that same software. Of course, I took the offer.

Since my U.S. bank charges me a small fee if I use my ATM/debit card for international charges (not much but still a fee) I actully cane out slightly better by NOT renewing on line with Norton and buying the software in Thailand.

Norton, that was stupid, stupid marketing and customer service on your part.

:whistling:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I have been a user of Norton anti-virus for years. Last month my three year subscription was running out.

Everything was going fine until I came to the address part. I now live in Bangkok, but Norton wil not accept a BILLING ADDRESS IN THAILND. Now I wanted to pay for the renewal with my ATM/DEBIT card from a U.S. bank...but no, that wasn't possible. The credit card was fine, accepted, but Norton refused to process the card because my BILLING ADDRESS was in Thailand. So no can do, must have a billing address ouside of Thailand.

So, the result was this:

I went to Fortune Tower and found a LEGITIMATE copy of the Norton software I wanted on sale for 1230 Baht. I installed it, and Norton offered me FREE upgrade to the latest 2011 version of that same software. Of course, I took the offer.

Since my U.S. bank charges me a small fee if I use my ATM/debit card for international charges (not much but still a fee) I actully cane out slightly better by NOT renewing on line with Norton and buying the software in Thailand.

You are proving my point, the whole point is Apple is hyped up to be superior in all things. But in the end they are just as bad as any other company but have a good marketing department.

I like the product, just don't buy into the hype anymore. Even the product has it flaws (as i read in other posts). I just went in against the sect of Apple and got attacked.

For me its a good product, but certainly not so superior in all things as people make you believe.

So, the result was this:

You are proving my point, the whole point is Apple is hyped up to be superior in all things. But in the end they are just as bad as any other company but have a good marketing department.

I like the product, just don't buy into the hype anymore. Even the product has it flaws (as i read in other posts). I just went in against the sect of Apple and got attacked.

For me its a good product, but certainly not so superior in all things as people make you believe.

Well when you come on the Apple Forum and start a topic entitled "Apple is Shit " because you couldn't set up your account, what did you expect? I don't have any issues with any of my Apple products. I still have a 1995 Apple laptop that works and a 2001laptop I use everyday for my .avi video player. My 9 year old iPod still works perfetly too. What do you think people would say to me if I went on a PC forum and started a tpoic that PC is shit? If you came on here and said I'm having a problem with something, people would be glad to help you...

Well when you come on the Apple Forum and start a topic entitled "Apple is Shit " because you couldn't set up your account, what did you expect? I don't have any issues with any of my Apple products. I still have a 1995 Apple laptop that works and a 2001laptop I use everyday for my .avi video player. My 9 year old iPod still works perfetly too. What do you think people would say to me if I went on a PC forum and started a tpoic that PC is shit? If you came on here and said I'm having a problem with something, people would be glad to help you...

I was pissed off because the hype did not live up to its name. Can you blame me for that. It started with 5002 errors while setting up an account. Then the credit card problems.

I was angry because Apple was not as it was cracked up to be. After all i heard from Apple users (and im serious here). There are never any problems with anything apple does. How wrong they were.

You said you don't have any problems though you cant post in Thai visa with safari while i can. Seems like a problem to me. Maybe you just don't want to call it a problem.

All im saying here is that apple has its problems its a product. I just go against the sect mentality of many (not all) Apple users.

I admit my first post was strong but I explained that. I still think the Ipad is a good product. But it too has its flaws.

I was pissed off because the hype did not live up to its name. Can you blame me for that. It started with 5002 errors while setting up an account. Then the credit card problems.

I was angry because Apple was not as it was cracked up to be. After all i heard from Apple users (and im serious here). There are never any problems with anything apple does. How wrong they were.

You said you don't have any problems though you cant post in Thai visa with safari while i can. Seems like a problem to me. Maybe you just don't want to call it a problem.

All im saying here is that apple has its problems its a product. I just go against the sect mentality of many (not all) Apple users.

I admit my first post was strong but I explained that. I still think the Ipad is a good product. But it too has its flaws.

For me a computer is a tool. I use PC's too. I just like Apple better for most of what I do...

Just to add if you read it from the beginning you see that my initial anger has gone. I just don't buy into the hype or join the sect of Apple.

That seems to be real bad that i accept the machine as good but with flaws just as any other product. I must according to most here abandon anything that has anything to do with PC's and become an Apple drone.

Just curious why is is so hard to accept that Apple is not perfect. Because basically that is all what i am saying.