Thai Women And The Humble Potato!

coolhandjoe

Best way to cook a potato  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You missed the only sensible option. Chipped and fried, served with battered cod, mushy peas, bread and butter, salt and vinegar and a big mug (not a cup a MUG) of strong tea. Note that we won't tolerate any of that chips and mayonnaise nonsense they indulge in in the Low Countries :ph34r:

licklips.gif

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than that, french fries is a good option.

Sorry Winnie: Belgian fries... please! cool.gif

Excuse me chaps you are talking chips.

jb1

I am suprised none of our colonial cousins have brought up the subject of Freedom Fries....:rolleyes:

Freedom Fries,,,had to google that one never heard them called that before....think i will stick to chips rolleyes.gif

Always makes sure my misses uses the crinkle cut knife also...as i like my chips crinkled melicklips.gif

Other than that, french fries is a good option.

Sorry Winnie: Belgian fries... please! cool.gif

Excuse me chaps you are talking chips.

jb1

I am suprised none of our colonial cousins have brought up the subject of Freedom Fries....:rolleyes:

Nothing goes with fried fish like Freedom Fries (shoestring style) and a big tub of tartar sauce :licklips:

And I'll be having apple pie a la mode for desert thank you, you can enjoy your spotted dick though :D

Interesting, Birdseye is an American company and the process of flash freezing was invented by the founder, Clarence Birdseye, of course an American.

Guess the Brits love American food as much as they do in the states, whether you call them chips or fries :)

I really hope you are not suggesting

1. Capt Birdeye invented chips, he didnt

2. America invented "french fries/ chips, they didnt

My understanding is that Chips/french fried..were "invented" in the Netherlands 1600's.

Frozen soggy bits of potato in a plastic bag are not chips....:angry: .......need to be freshly thick cut fellows cooked in dripping....anything else is an imposter..

Interesting, Birdseye is an American company and the process of flash freezing was invented by the founder, Clarence Birdseye, of course an American.

Guess the Brits love American food as much as they do in the states, whether you call them chips or fries :)

Eh?

blink.gif

My understanding is that Chips/french fried..were "invented" in the Netherlands 1600's.

Frozen soggy bits of potato in a plastic bag are not chips....:angry: .......need to be freshly thick cut fellows cooked in dripping....anything else is an imposter..

If you were not sure what I was suggesting then you may want to re-read my post.

It was in response to the advert posted of a company called "Birdseye", which I said was a company founded by an American and currently owned by "Pinnacle Foods" which is an American company. The European arm is the parent company "Pemira."

Not sure if old Clarence was a captain or not but he did in fact invent the process of flash freezing, common among most "TV" style dinners (another American invention)

I said nothing about the invention of fried potatoes (whether you want to call them chips or fries) but if you are eating a birdseye meal, then you must accept that you are eating a food most likely contrived by Americans, or at least the production overseen by people working for an American company.

Edited by Kilgore Trout

Eh?

blink.gif

He will be suggesting next that America invented, the jet engine, the internet and manned space flight

If you were not sure what I was suggesting then you may want to re-read my post.

It was in response to the advert posted of a company called "Birdseye", which I said was a company founded by an American and currently owned by "Pinnacle Foods" which is an American company. The European arm is the parent company "Pemira."

Not sure if old Clarence was a captain or not but he did in fact invent the process of flash freezing, common among most "TV" style dinners (another American invention)

I said nothing about the invention of fried potatoes (whether you want to call them chips or fries) but if you are eating a birdseye meal, then you must accept that you are eating a food most likely contrived by Americans, or at least the production overseen by people working for an American company.

Ok...so based on this premise then every time you eat McDonalds French fries, you are eating food contrived by Canadians, as believe McCann's supplies McDonalds which is a Canadian company....:D

You use a discussion about potatos to begin a topic about how mighty the yooessoffay is. Do you have any idea just how infantile and insecure that appears. You actually seem quite desperate to wave the flag.

Who gives a flying <deleted> where birdseye comes from, this is a discussion about POTATOES.

Edited by Moonrakers

You use a discussion about potatos to begin a topic about how mighty the yooessoffay is. Do you have any idea just how infantile and insecure that appears. You actually seem quite desperate to wave the flag.

Who gives a flying <deleted> where birdseye comes from, this is a discussion about POTATOES.

The post was tongue in cheek in nature (but I suppose you are not sharp enough to catch that) and was a response to this quote posted in the topic mixed with the Birdseye video;

I am suprised none of our colonial cousins have brought up the subject of Freedom Fries....

My comments were playful, yet yours speak volumes about your character ;)

The post was tongue in cheek in nature

No it wasn't, you said so yourself:

Anyway.

Talk to us about potatoes or go away and stop bothering us.

Edited by Moonrakers

Moonrakers this avatar is sooo much better than that other ghastly thing you had.I never quite got it......Mind you it looked like they would have been useful with a flame on one end lighting my BBQ. Cheers Rae

You may not have seen the end of Captain Blackadder yet wink.gif

I suppose our senses of sarcasm are quite different then, anyway reading your post I was reminded of another potato :)

I can definitively confirm, after living and working in America, our average colonial cousin wouldnt know sarcasm if it fell on him....:lol:

Moonrakers this avatar is sooo much better than that other ghastly thing you had.I never quite got it......Mind you it looked like they would have been useful with a flame on one end lighting my BBQ. Cheers Rae

You may not have seen the end of Captain Blackadder yet wink.gif

For your next Avatar may I suggest his humble side kick Baldrick....:D

Mashed, baked, fried or roasted

Squashed, whole, diced or shredded

Buttered, curried, spiced or salted

Homemade, store-bought, begged or borrowed

Gobbled, savored or a la mode

Truckstop diner or on the road

A spud will never disappoint

(exclamation point)

Thakkar

with apologies to Dr Seuss

Edited by Thakkar

Yeah, there's no option for "baked" in the poll.

I finally gave up trying to do baked potatoes here because it heated up the house too much and our little toaster oven was just too blazing hot to do the job properly.

Now I've joined our British cousins in producing "mash", ie. a concoction of boiled carrots, potatoes, peas and corn which I attack with a prized imported potato masher I found at our local Rim Ping grocery store. In a nod to our current location, I make this mash in a rice cooker, paying careful attention to the timing of addition of the various veggies to the boiling water. First the diced raw carrots, wait a bit (about the time it takes to drink 1/2 a big Leo), then the diced potatoes, wait a little bit (drink the other 1/2 of the big Leo) then the peas (just fiddle around with the glass and ice for the second Leo; the peas don't take long) and then the corn, which I buy already cooked from the cooked corn and fried insect vendor at a local market (only in Thailand will you find such a vendor)

Next, ask Hubby to come help me pour off the water in the rice cooker, top off his glass of Leo and send him back to the TV and then put some muscle into mashing the veggies in the rice cooker. I use chicken broth as the liquid with these mashed veggies, although the veggie water is a good alternative, too. Put the rice cooker on "low" and finsh that second big Leo.

Edited by NancyL