How Safe Is Your Condo?

toenail

There was a fire at the luxurious Le Raffine condo in Bkk the other day on the 18th floor. It took the fire department a long time to retain the fire. The sprinklers did NOT go off (they were set at 65 degrees C but some people think there was no water in the system; next, the fire department did not have long enough ladders to get to the 18th floor so depended on high powered pressured guns... This proves that just because you live in a new, expensive complex, it isn't protected from things malfunctioning or from the corruptness of safety being NOT enforced. --Remember the night club fire of Sautika Club on New Years Eve 2009 that killed over 66 people and over 220 were injured???? Nothing has been done since.

So inspect your fire escapes yourself... ask for the manager to show that the fire hydrants work... How often are the fire sprayers inspected???????????? (if it is a new condo..mine doesn't have any) Be proactive. Who cares if the Thais don't "ask"/// :blink:

We just had our heat sensors checked by the Condo staff at a request from the Management - They check the equipment in the Condo yearly.

However, there are no sprinklers in our condo - Just big fire hoses on the each of the stair wells (3 on each floor) - I'm quite happy with the set up.

One thought though - I gather its easy enough to check if the fire hoses are functioning, but how to check if Sprinklers are working? (the only way I can think of is to simply check if the water is pressured up to the sprinkler without actually engaging it).

We just had our heat sensors checked by the Condo staff at a request from the Management - They check the equipment in the Condo yearly.

However, there are no sprinklers in our condo - Just big fire hoses on the each of the stair wells (3 on each floor) - I'm quite happy with the set up.

One thought though - I gather its easy enough to check if the fire hoses are functioning, but how to check if Sprinklers are working? (the only way I can think of is to simply check if the water is pressured up to the sprinkler without actually engaging it).

But some sprinkler systems work on dry risers where there is no water in the system until a fire alarm is activated.