How Safe Is Pattaya Alone Long Term

SuperSingha

If I were to stay in Pattaya 2-3 maybe 4 months (visa run) but alone is this relatively safe.

Especially if I am partaking in the local entertainment and enjoying myself often. I read/hear horror stories girls robbing, drugging or even murdering at the extreme...I plan not to get involved financially with any 1 girl so hopefully no chance off any murder plots lol. BUt still I dont know if I would feel safe knowing many girls to know where I stay? But not just girls perhaps locals, western guy alone= $$$ to them? and easy target?

Perhaps its better I only do short time when I want a girl? Maybe I should just get 1 or 2 or 3 lol regular girls I think I trust? With the odd night off ''adult entertainment''

Perhaps I should stay in Bangkok? Its safer or not? I can stay in a more relaxed area. But still a foreign guy alone in Bangkok? Its not as seedy but just as dangerous as Bangkok?

I plan to relax for the period and perhaps bulk up a bit (bodybuilding). I will travel before and after holiday but will use either Bangkok or Pattaya as a permanent Winter base.

Im not sure if renting an apartment or using a B&B, Hotel is best?

Any advice on this are much appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by tingtonglongdong

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well why respond like this?

Why cant people make answers specific to my questions with direct advice rather than being rude. There is no point being rude I only asked a question. If you cannot answer then why reply just to be rude.

I guess this is representative of the type of people in Pattaya as projected by the press/internet?

Edited by tingtonglongdong

One post has been edited, lets try to answer the OP question without getting into the specifics of prostitution which is against forum rules.

As a reminder of the OP question it is:

How Safe Is Pattaya Alone Long Term

And a reminder of rule 18:

18) Not to discuss the specifics of prostitution.

Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgment of that fact is not forbidden. However ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

Pattaya is like anywhere else - just keep your wits about you and you will be fine. You would probably be marginally safer in a hotel or B&B, rather than an apartment as you may have some help/advice available nearby, and not completely alone. Also, many of these establishments have some form of security on duty at night.

There are plenty of well documented scams, just use the search function on the many forums available and you will know what to avoid.

Avoid getting so drunk that you do not know who and where you are - most problems occur when people get in this state.

The best advice I can give you is to make sure you put all your valuables in a room safe, so book a room that has one of these, and don't carry too much cash around with you - same as anywhere else in the World.

Relax and enjoy yourself!

I first came here 22 years ago ,and the best advice i was given was ,when a girl tells you are "a hansom man" you are and that Thai girls dont like Thai men . look in the mirror and repeat ,she is lying i am not hansom and she is not different from other girls who work bar and if Thai girls dont like Thai men ,why do so many marry them?

you wont go far wrong . got to go the wife is watching me type :D

Since you aren't gonna marry, none can benefit by throwing you off a balcony and,

considering their size, i wouldn't worry even then.

They may check your pocket if you sleep or have a shower, my 1st gf sure did,

so if you plan to do either with her still in the room, you may use your travel bag with lock

as a safe.

The biggest risk you face is sexually transmitted diseases, being overcharged for everything, and being insulted with 'cheap charlie' claims in order to extort tip

Ive just come back to London after 3 months in Pattaya,doing pretty much exactly what youre looking to do,loads of gym,loads of fun,bit of travelling round Asia for visa runs....etc....

Been to Pattaya many times but this was the longest trip ive ever done.

Rented a nice apartment,got a gym membership,trained hard,had loads of chicks,no aggro at all...ever....

Same as anywhere,if u go looking for grief you will find plenty of it in Pattaya.Ive never had a problem cos i just want to have a good time and not cause any trouble...

Never had any problems with girls coming back to my condo,usual common sense stuff applies,ie dont leave docs/cash lying around and i always find never telling people too much about your plans etc helps....

Have fun mate....:)

Pattaya for me was safer living alone than any of the women I lived with there. I got rolled once and robbed twice and it was when I was living with other people not alone. Although it is hard to get people to leave. The girl that delivered my pizza once stayed for a week.

Pattaya is like anywhere else - just keep your wits about you and you will be fine. You would probably be marginally safer in a hotel or B&B, rather than an apartment as you may have some help/advice available nearby, and not completely alone. Also, many of these establishments have some form of security on duty at night.

There are plenty of well documented scams, just use the search function on the many forums available and you will know what to avoid.

Avoid getting so drunk that you do not know who and where you are - most problems occur when people get in this state.

The best advice I can give you is to make sure you put all your valuables in a room safe, so book a room that has one of these, and don't carry too much cash around with you - same as anywhere else in the World.

I've been living in Pattaya on and off for over 5 years now. I don't agree that "Pattaya is like anywhere else" but otherwise this post seems like good balanced advice for the OP.

Oh, and watch out for uneven pavements and overhanging cables and the like, and definitely be careful when you're crossing the road!

Does this thread come with its own sound effects, and can I bitch slap UG? just in friendly way of course :D

The correct answer to this sort of question is, every day you live the probability of you dying eventually reaches 1, two factors can slow this down or speed it up, where you live and your actions while you are there.

As Pattaya is a known factor, or certain parts that the OP says he wants to partake of are, and the OP who is unknown factor, his survival rate could be anything between 30 minutes and 60 years.

(Possibly more if he is only 12 years old)

Edited by Thaddeus

Thanks for all the input guys

Ive just come back to London after 3 months in Pattaya,doing pretty much exactly what youre looking to do,loads of gym,loads of fun,bit of travelling round Asia for visa runs....etc....

Rented a nice apartment,got a gym membership,trained hard,had loads of chicks,no aggro at all...ever....

Same as anywhere,if u go looking for grief you will find plenty of it in Pattaya.Ive never had a problem cos i just want to have a good time and not cause any trouble...

Never had any problems with girls coming back to my condo,usual common sense stuff applies,ie dont leave docs/cash lying around and i always find never telling people too much about your plans etc helps....

One key point I picked up on and was a concern for me was hotels vs apartment rent.

I think apartment could be cheaper but hotels are better for a few reasons.

1. Ability to pick up and go if something happens. I get a stalker, get bad situation, wanna move town..who knows lol..but no long term rented commitments.

2. Girls wont think/know I am here long term. If I have apartment they come to they most likely know I am not here just for few days....which could be a bad thing? depends. I mean I can lie to girls about my length off stay etc....

3. Having hotel workers, receptionist, security, main desk etc,,,it should feel a bit safer than some unknown apartment? But I think some apartments also have security etc?

Another point is I have head that even hotel workers..cleaners in rooms etc, will rob your valuables? Especially at hotels under 3 star and budget places?

I also heard that even if you put valubale such as cash, passport, credit cards etc...in hotel safe you can still be robbed by hotel? This seems a bit OTT. But thats what I heard.

I reckon if I put most valuable things in zip bags with key locks then maybe they woudlnt steal. However, they could still steal and destroy bag to open it. Maybe I am being OTT paranoid here.

As for girls coming round well I think maybe sleeping alone at night is best idea unless you really trust a girl. Or think you do ??? lol

Its not just a holiday to use girls though. Its a complete break from life for 3-4 months just chilling out. I do not plan to party 24/7 everyday. Moreso opposite. Which is why I wonder if Bangkok is a better choice. However I notice its much more expensive for hotels etc. So thats why Pattaya appeals to me. However iD ratehr be based in or near big city than on secluded island etc..Id feel safer in bigger cities. More anonymous. I have considered Chaing Mai also but that seems too quiet and more ideal for one off my trips.

Thanks for all the input guys

One key point I picked up on and was a concern for me was hotels vs apartment rent.

I think apartment could be cheaper but hotels are better for a few reasons.

1. Ability to pick up and go if something happens. I get a stalker, get bad situation, wanna move town..who knows lol..but no long term rented commitments.

2. Girls wont think/know I am here long term. If I have apartment they come to they most likely know I am not here just for few days....which could be a bad thing? depends. I mean I can lie to girls about my length off stay etc....

3. Having hotel workers, receptionist, security, main desk etc,,,it should feel a bit safer than some unknown apartment? But I think some apartments also have security etc?

Another point is I have head that even hotel workers..cleaners in rooms etc, will rob your valuables? Especially at hotels under 3 star and budget places?

I also heard that even if you put valubale such as cash, passport, credit cards etc...in hotel safe you can still be robbed by hotel? This seems a bit OTT. But thats what I heard.

I reckon if I put most valuable things in zip bags with key locks then maybe they woudlnt steal. However, they could still steal and destroy bag to open it. Maybe I am being OTT paranoid here.

As for girls coming round well I think maybe sleeping alone at night is best idea unless you really trust a girl. Or think you do ??? lol

Its not just a holiday to use girls though. Its a complete break from life for 3-4 months just chilling out. I do not plan to party 24/7 everyday. Moreso opposite. Which is why I wonder if Bangkok is a better choice. However I notice its much more expensive for hotels etc. So thats why Pattaya appeals to me. However iD ratehr be based in or near big city than on secluded island etc..Id feel safer in bigger cities. More anonymous. I have considered Chaing Mai also but that seems too quiet and more ideal for one off my trips.

This is just my thought and opinion,sure some will challenge me...

Depending on your budget and quality of life expectation,id go for a condo,i rented in a new build for 3 months,20000 baht a month against 60000 a month for the hotel i usually stay at for shorter trips...nice pool,security doors at reception etc.....

Condo had the advantage of a kitchen,amazing how much u can save if u cater at home,even just for brekkie...

Condo had security guards too,when they were awake lol...

I paid each month,so i only had a month to worry about each time...

I tended to get the bus to Bkk every 10 days or so for a few days change of scenery...worked well..

As for the ladies,had a few stalkers,but thats par for the course in Thailand...

I generally prefer to sleep alone,so thats what i usually did...

Never tell anyone your plans,no need for them to know...

Re trouble,ive been to Thailand over 25 times and never had any grief apart from a couple of rip offs in Patpong the first time i went and was a bit green...

Even with the girls,wherever u may meet them,if youre honest and upfront then everyone knows the score...

Next time i do this sabbatical thing i will stay in Bkk for the duration and visit Pattaya for breaks,i like both cities..

I had a great 3 months,saw loads of Asia too...

Have fun fella,you only live once...:)

Edited by Parker1973

Really some people must reply here before drinking their first cup of coffee! Ok, no need to take your girls back to where you live since there are plenty of cheap hotels which do short term rentals . Am sure that the girl would want to go there to fix her makeup, not for any immoral purpose. Just follow some simple rules such as never leave your drink unattended on the bar, do not carry more money with you that you can afford to lose and do not wander along Beach Road drunk late at night. If you must go to Beach Road have your eyes tested so you can tell the girls from the boys.

Don't carry large sums of money around. Only take the money you need for the day with you. Keep your valuables locked up in the hotel safe. Don't bring expensive, expensive looking jewelry, or watches with you. If you have these items leave them at home. Be a little bit more aware of drunken Russians. Alcohol brings out the worst in them. Especially when they are in groups. You will see that the Russians are often drunk. Very large numbers of Russians in Pattaya these days. There are a lot of pick pokets around. Don't get too drunk. This is asking for trouble. Especially if you are alone. It is best to pick up friends in establsihed Bars and Clubs. Do not make friends of the street. Don't ever rent water recreation craft. If you do you will likely be riped off. You have been warned. Avoid dark unlit lonely streets late at night. I recommend that you stay at The Markland Hotel. This is a good place to stay for a newbie. It is safe and convenient to all the entertainment. DON'T DO DRUGS IN THAILAND and of course don't buy any. If some one bumps into you. Rapidly and protectively slap your hand over your wallet. Don't wear your phone on your belt. Never keep your wallet in your back poket. Be aware that their are many transvestites in Thailand. Many of them look like attractive women. Go on line to try and discover ways to help you identify tranvsetites. Soi 6 is almost all tranvestites. So it may be best to avoid Soi 6. If an unknown Thai male approaches you on the street. Keep walking. Don't talk to them. Some people will say thank very much and keep repeating that while walking away. But do keep walking away and say nothing else. Don't stop and engage them. Don't promise the women anything. If you do you will have a big hassle. Pay your bills. Pay what you agree to pay. Don't pay over the top for services provided. If you do you will likely be seen as a foolish sucker. You won't be respected for this behavior. Don't fall in love with any one. Remember their is a difference between love, lust, and simply trying to make a living. Enjoy but be alert and keep your eyes wide open and your brain working.

Edited by philliphn