Ed Visa 1 Year Do You Pay Money Every 90 Days?

This question is raised from discussion in another thread

I want to know who actually has an ED Visa right now and where you live and if you have to pay money every 90 days.

I've had an ED Visa through Walen for the past 2 years and every 90 days i go sign the book AND DON'T PAY ANY MONEY but every year I pay walen the 25,000 baht for the course and then go to the visa office and pay 1900 baht.

has anyone did the 90 day check in the past month and had to pay any money? because i've never paid only the once a year.

I live in Chiang Mai

I had ED visa 2 years and had to pay 1900 baht every 90 day at Jomtien immigration Pattaya, bringing all the paperwork from school and being interrogated by the woman if i spoke thai well enuff. Or i could give school more money to bribe the police in immigration if i didn't want to be interrogated, then the school would go there instead of me.

I ended the ED visa half year ago and is now on tourist visa

Have a look at the stamps in your passport, till what date are you admitted in Thailand?

You cannot stay for 2 years in Thailand without getting an extension of stay and paying 1,900 at least once a year and probably every 90 days.

When you pay tuition for a one year course, the fee includes filling out application for a student visa, plus three sets of paperwork for 90 day reporting. You are responsible for paying 1900 baht for the initial student visa, plus 1900 each 90 days when you go for reporting.

From my experience, I know that it is possible to obtain an extension of stay up to one year upon applying for the first extension after 90 days.

Whether this is official? Not sure. Usually it was used by students who didn't like the hustle at immigration every 90 days.

We all know, that every extension, 90 , 180, 7 or whatever how many days is THB 1,900.

So I know for a fact I've never paid 1900 baht every 90 days, I've already got a 1 year ED visa so why would I need an extention.

I think the language used in the forums is incorrect.

Every 90 days you go to report not to EXTEND

I opened up my passport and the white slip that reads RECEIPT OF NOTIFICATION is also says THIS IS NOT AN EXTENSION OF STAY PLEASE NOTIFY YOUR ADDRES AGAIN ON 23 AUG 2011

so every 90 days you DONT pay 1900 baht to extend anything you go and REPORT YOUR ADDRESS

The stamp in my passport reads Admitted 28 Feb 2011 APPLICATION STAY IS PERMITTED 28 FEB 2012 that's one year

So why are people trying to tell me I need to pay 1900 baht every 90 days?

What we are saying is most people have to pay for a new extension every 90 days per Walen web site and reports here from other students at private language schools. We are not saying you have to do this. Why you do not is likely because they were still providing one year when you first applied for your extension of stay (you do not have a one year visa but do have a one year extension of stay). The policy was changed to only allow 90 day extensions of stay for such study so today most only receive that time and must get a new extension every 90 days.

What you do every 90 days is report your address on a TM.47 form and once per year obtain a new extension of stay using a TM.7 and paying 1,900 baht. Will you get one year next time you submit a TM.7? I don't know; but it may be 90 days as most others receive.

Ok guys I can clear this all up now.

Contacted Walen and Immigration.

Here's the deal.

For a 1 year ED visa they changed the rules to pay 1900 baht every 90 days (I never did this because my first year there wasn't this rule)

The reason why I don't have to pay now is because i'm in my 2nd year, apparently in the 2nd and subsequent years you don't pay every 90 days only once a year.

They should probably write that on their website and update elsewhere so we don't have to argue about it here.

Things are done differently in Pattaya, here you do pay.

I began earlier than you, and finished my 2nd year almost half year ago, where i also payed each 90 day,

perhaps immigration staff is just corrupt ova here ? actually i know they are.

Well there must be a difference.

I just came back from immigration to do my 90 day check in.

I filled in form TM.47

photocopied my passport

handed it to the guy in and out in 30minutes

I didn't pay any money (because it's not an extention it's a checkin!) I didn't have to show proof of anything same old same old.

The forms and requirements hadn't changed at all and I asked the immigration officer if they are changing it and they said no.

So why people are paying elsewhere I don't know but since I just got back from Chiang Mai immigration an hour ago I can positively say that You DONT have to pay money to do the 90 day reporting and if you have a 1 YEAR visa you DONT have to pay for extentions every 90 days because your not extending anything your just doing the 90 day check in.

If you have the white piece of paper in your passport that says you must report in 90 days and it's NOT AN EXTENTION you don't have to pay.

What is written in your passport that made them make you pay 1900 every 90 days, curious.

Once again - you do not have a one year ED visa - you have an extension of stay for one year from Immigration. I know, even immigration can call it a visa, but it is not. If you had a one year ED visa (which you originally had some type) you would not be allowed to stay longer than 90 days without leaving the country. People with a one year ED visa cross the border for a new 90 day stay. But you are now on a one year extension of stay. For part time study this is not the normal issue. Others have 90 day extension of stay and must then file a new TM.7 and pay every 90 days to avoid the need to leave Thailand. 90 day address reporting is another matter.

My passport has a sticker in it.

Type of visa: Non-Immigrant, cetegory ED No. of entry S (that's single) issued in kuala lumpur 2 mar 2010 it has a stamp that says USED but they stamp it when you arrive in the country.

According to you I am living in thailand without a visa just the right to an extended stay, whatever. It's actually called a VISA EXTENTION so you extend your Visa

since mar 2010 i've never left the country, not once.

I applied for an application to stay for another year in march 2011 and was granted the right to stay until march 2012, in march 2011 I did have to pay 1900 baht to EXTEND my stay for another year.

It doesn't mean I don't have a Visa, in fact it means I'm still living here on an ED visa which was extended, just like if your on a tourist visa and you go make the application for stay for another 30 days or whatever it is, it still means you have the Tourist visa status your just granted the right to stay longer.

In march 2012 I'll go to the chiang mai immigration once again and extend my VISA for another year without leaving the country and it will still mean I have a NON immigrant category ED visa status

I'm not an immigration lawyer and i doubt you are either, these are just the facts of my immigration status and how I stay here

Please look at your stamp in your passport allowing stay until March 2012 and advise where it says "visa". It is an extension of stay and that is what it should say.

The form you used to obtain that stamp, TM.7, is an application to extend your temporary stay.

You entered originally with a visa but since you were permitted a set time to stay (not a visa) and you have been extending that time each year.

chiangmai immigration office

application of stay is permitted up to 28 feb 2012

applicant must leave the kingdom within the date

specified herein offender will be prosecuted

signed

immigration officer

28 feb 2011

คำสัง ตร ที่ 777/2551 25 R P 25 พย 51 ข้อ39

Please contact the immigration office for a

RE-ENTRY PERMIT before leaving thailand

The thai words are in reference to the article of law.

No mention of the word Visa.

I have two of these stamps the first was was given to me 3 months after I arrived from kuala lumpur on 1 june and says i can stay until 28 feb 2010 the second one (written above) was stamped on the 28 feb 2010.

I don't get what your saying, if I don't have an ED visa, what visa do I have then? You must have a visa status right?

You have an extension of stay per section 2.9 of police order 777/2551. The ED visa was only valid for entry to Thailand. Once you obtained immigration stamp you have been on a permitted stay and an extension of that stay. A visa can be considered a party invitation - you do not need after you enter.

So your saying that i'm on a permitted stay and an extention of that stay.

It might be a play on words but isn't that the same as I said that "I extended my ED VISA" since the permissions of my extended stay are limited to the permissions of original visa I entered on?

The issue is that you can not travel on an extension of stay - you must obtain a re-entry permit and use that as you would a visa. The visa is for getting to the door keeper. The door keeper puts that ink on your hand to allow you to stay. To do again you must get a new visa (or use a multi entry). If you don't want to leave at closing time you ask/apply to extend your stay. This would be a minor issue of terms and not worth noting but there are people using visa entry and never extending who have a real one year visa and how they handle stay is very different than those on extensions of stay.

The fact is that extensions of stay can be less than one year and for many that means paying for a new extension every 90 days when attending private language school.

The original question is the ED Visa that grants you permission of stay for 1 year do you have to pay money every 90 days? I don't, and I am wondering if anyone else does, if you arn't currently on an ED Visa or an immigration lawyer then I'd rather not hear your useless comments, thank you.

You do not hav an ED-visa for one year, rather an extension of stay for 1 year.

Since you only pay for a new extension, you don't have to pay 1,900 baht every 90 days. You do have to do 90 day reports, but these are free.

The confusion and questions come from the fact that normally one only gets a permission to stay for 90 days when studying at a language school and not 1 year, like you got.

So I know for a fact I've never paid 1900 baht every 90 days, I've already got a 1 year ED visa so why would I need an extention.

I think the language used in the forums is incorrect.

Every 90 days you go to report not to EXTEND

I opened up my passport and the white slip that reads RECEIPT OF NOTIFICATION is also says THIS IS NOT AN EXTENSION OF STAY PLEASE NOTIFY YOUR ADDRES AGAIN ON 23 AUG 2011

so every 90 days you DONT pay 1900 baht to extend anything you go and REPORT YOUR ADDRESS

The stamp in my passport reads Admitted 28 Feb 2011 APPLICATION STAY IS PERMITTED 28 FEB 2012 that's one year

So why are people trying to tell me I need to pay 1900 baht every 90 days?

When I was part of a TEFL and language institute offering assistance in obtaining ED-visa our students had to visit Immigration every 90 days, with documents from our institute and a letter from the Ministry of Education, stating that the student was actually studying. Those 90 day visits were extension-visits and not report-visits and as said, every extension cost THB 1,900 (not every visit).

Nobody is telling you that you HAVE to go to immigration every 90 days for an extension, as long as you don't tell that it is normal that you get an ED-visa for a one-year stay.

post-131828-0-46833800-1314084830_thumb.

This is a picture of exactly the same thing i have in my passport, it's an ED visa for 1 year you don't need to extend every 3 months only once a year.

Same as all the top language schools offer just as WALEN offers and is NORMAL for those wanting to study the language for a year.

As for the TEFL course study, they don't have a year study program for the TEFL course so it wouldn't make sense that you could obtain a 1 year visa.

Even mr lopburi says in this post that you can obtain a 1 year extention. My link

i talked to 12 different language schools before going with WALEN and they all offered me the same thing a 1 year ED visa which i could extend every year, that's the same language they all used.

If technically it's called something else so be it, that's not how people talk here, if someone asks me next what visa I have i'll say I have an ED visa because if I take you guys advice and reply i have an extention of stay i'll get blank stares and you know it.

That was a one year multi entry visa which only allows stay of 90 days per entry. If you had wanted to use that you would just have made an exit/return every 90 days rather than extending. But what you appear to have done is extend a 90 day entry from that visa for a one year period.

That one year extension is not an option currently for many people who study at private language schools as only 90 days is allowed.

It woudl be useful if there was a list of schools that if you got the 1 year ed visa and had to extend every 90 days so that we could recommend people not to go with them.

Since I study with Walen i can positively say that any student that goes with them can get it and why i would recommend anyone who want to go with this option to go with them.

Taken from Walen Website

Student Visa

1 Year ED (student) Visa

Students who enroll at our school in a one year course are eligible to apply for a one year non-immigrant ED visa. With this visa you do not have to leave Thailand every now and then but can stay here continually for one year. On arrival you will be permitted to stay for 90 days and then with a paperwork provided by our school you will be able to extend your stay every 90 days at the local immigration office for the duration of the course. At present extensions cost 1,900 Baht. You can enjoy studying Thai and at the same time not worrying about making any visa runs.

How much does it cost?

School fee 24,960 Baht (promotion price)

Extensions 1,900 Baht every 90 days (government charges)

Even mr lopburi says in this post that you can obtain a 1 year extention.

i talked to 12 different language schools before going with WALEN and they all offered me the same thing a 1 year ED visa which i could extend every year, that's the same language they all used.

If technically it's called something else so be it, that's not how people talk here, if someone asks me next what visa I have i'll say I have an ED visa because if I take you guys advice and reply i have an extention of stay i'll get blank stares and you know it.

Oh jeeeeeeeeez.