With A Lease..What If They Sell The House?

mikey88

If it's a legal/registered lease, you have nothing to worry about. The new owner/prospective buyer will know there is a lease agreement in place and will have to abide by its conditions. If not registered, all bets are off....

A question CMSteve when you mention legal/registered lease, does that mean going tru a lawyer ? How do we get it registered ? Does that applies to condominium as well ?

Sorry, I guess I was just assuming we were talking about a long term(30+yr) land/home lease. In this case, there will be an addition to the land owner book showing the lease.

If this is a simple short term lease(house, condo apt), the owner would have to abide by the terms of the lease. That being said, lessors in Thailand can break a lease almost at will. If not, you have to decide if its worth fighting in a small claims or possible a real court. Many lessors know this and are not very worried about a foreinger fighting them. Many times, that person is long gone before any hearings even begin.

If they are better people, the owner or new owner will let the lease run out, but offer no new extensions.

If you're having a real problem, forget about this forum and get to a lawyer, they will know best.

good luck

If it's a legal/registered lease, you have nothing to worry about. The new owner/prospective buyer will know there is a lease agreement in place and will have to abide by its conditions. If not registered, all bets are off....

A question CMSteve when you mention legal/registered lease, does that mean going tru a lawyer ? How do we get it registered ? Does that applies to condominium as well ?

Edited by CMSteve

A little off the topic but still related with lease's,I think.

I had leased a house,paid regularly for over 3 years,negotiated a reduction at renewal.

Then started getting court notices for the owner,seems that the morgage hadnt been paid to the bank and the bank had reclaimed the property,,but the owner was still collecting the monthly rent from me....apparently illegaly since the property was no longer theirs. Not wanting to get involved I left.

As with most of these "what can they do to me?"-type threads involving a legal agreement, it's impossible to provide a definitive answer unless the OP scans and posts a copy of the legal agreement (assuming there was a signed written agreement).

In most cases, and according to Thai law (versus Thai reality) the lease obligations transfer to the new owner and your rights are protected. But if there was a clause inserted or varied about the house being sold, inspections occurring, etc, then all bets are off.