Chiang Mai For Marriage Extension

thaibeachlovers

Never heard of that and never been visited by them... simply roll up with paperwork and pay 1,900 baht. If they want to pay me 3k for a visit, I'm open to that of course. ;)

You can pre-book an appointment for extension now at CM Imm (as opposed to waiting in line) by going here.

I had a home visit, when i applied for my original spousal visa... no extra fees charged. For the next years extension, no home visit required. Just photos of the front of the house, showing the address, and a map drawing.

Wife and I have applied in Chiangmai every year for 14 years. Now they have an online registration system for advance appointments (go to Chiangmai forum)it is easier. The key is to have 2 copies of all your paper work, pictures, and map ready. I had to apply from the US for 90-day non-O, then move here. Within the 90-days, we applied for the marriage license, and finished getting our house in her name. Then within the 90days, went in to the immigration office in Chiangmai and applied for the first extension. One the first application for extension, they came out to the home. A male and female officer walked around the house, looked in the bedroom closet for evidence we lived together, NO fee for this. Repeat, NO fee. Then they had some paperwork that someone in our housing had read and sign saying they knew us and we lived together as a married couple.

After that, every year within 30days of the expiration, we went in and repeated the extension. The only thing that changes is the requirements, so keep up with them on TV. Now the requirement is 400,000 baht in bank for 3 months (may get away with 2 months on first use of money in the bank. If you use the affidavit from your Consulate, you have to show monthly income. Be prepared to show proof of income you report on your affidavit. Ours is easy because we have both money in bank and pensions coming in, so we can use either method.

I can say this, Chiangmai Immigration has improved vastly over what it was 14 years ago. The same two female officers process or extension over the years. The officers at the front desk are friendlier and more eager to help than in the past. From what I read, Chiangmai Immigration is a good place go, with the exception that they handle a very high number of tourists and expats.

Just go expecting there will always be some little copy you forgot, just sit there handing over the documents, and let your wife yak with the officers. It takes approx 45 minutes no matter how organized I am with the docs. The one thing I know, I would NEVER want their job, even if their pay was higher than it is! Good luck and enjoy Chiangmai. You can be as active or recluse as you want to be here.

• 2 weeks later...

Next month I will be going for my first year extension of my marriage visa. I also live in Lamphun, so if your extensions before mine (19 Sept) pm me if the home visit issue is a problem. I am expecting they will require the local police to do this for them but I really don't know. Whatever happens I will update this later...

Been doing the marriage extension for 5 years now and never had the home visit but one of my friends has.... We just stroll in with all the paperwork and 5 yr old daughter in tow.... Never been much of a problem except it depends on which officer handles your application, what day of the week it is, and the phase the moon is in as to what docs are expected.... It's always changing.... Had to show past US tax returns before but not always.... Need map to the house but not always.... This last time they didn't like the nicely map of the mooban I always provided and wanted me to hand draw one.... If you know anything about Banwangtan this is not easy to do even after living there for 5 years.... Last 3 years I provided a pic we received of me, my wife, my daughter, and the car dealer saleslady standing in front of the new car we purchased. This year the Immigration officer asked if I had a copy in color...<deleted>! Always provided a copy of the house rental lease but this year they wanted a copy the landlord's house book.

Yes, Immigration seems to try but honestly it's not too well organized especially when you're trying to walk around that place at 7:30-9:00 am......and don't get me started with either the car parking or the freakin numbering system of the queue displays and counter numbers. blink.gifwhistling.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Did my 1st one year extension type O for marriage today at Chiang Mai...they said someone would call about the home visit..(maybe local police) no mention of any fee...This extension went well for me..but I had a lot of documents....after 2 trips to Laos I had plenty of time to bring anything they could want....For me it happened to be the final day of my 90 visa so I did not want any problems.I used the on-line que and it went very smoothly.I had an 11:am .appointment and I was called at 11:01 .I was through with everything by 12 noon...

I got there early but the place was a zoo...the worst I have ever seen it...

Went to CM immigration today, just to check out exactly what I need, and a very helpful lady there has convinced me that the simpler and guaranteed option is in fact to get a retirement visa. Only fill in a TM7, letter from the bank, passport photo, fee, and get it in one day.

Only problem is that I need to top up my bank a/c to 800,000 from the 400,000 and need to have it in for 2 months which it won't be next month. So it'll be one more visa run.

Fingers crossed that they don't increase the required amount in the meantime!

Good Luck to you beachlover...Even you have moved on, for the benefit of others who may have this interest :

We were called for the home visit but could not be certain that a neighbor would be around. The people close to us work two jobs and come and go...So we had to provide a witness to go to the Chiang Mai office and be questioned (in another office behind the photo/copy place and restaurant)

This should not be a relative and be someone who knows us and our living arrangements... luckily we could provide this.(we brought a witness to the interview but was not needed then)...it seems all went well, but as many have implied, this has not been an easy process and was filled with uncertainties all along the way....Still easier than the US for someone from Thailand seeking a year visa.....

Edited by 62strat

Good Luck to you beachlover...Even you have moved on, for the benefit of others who may have this interest :

We were called for the home visit but could not be certain that a neighbor would be around. The people close to us work two jobs and come and go...So we had to provide a witness to go to the Chiang Mai office and be questioned (in another office behind the photo/copy place and restaurant)

This should not be a relative and be someone who knows us and our living arrangements... luckily we could provide this.(we brought a witness to the interview but was not needed then)...it seems all went well, but as many have implied, this has not been an easy process and was filled with uncertainties all along the way....Still easier than the US for someone from Thailand seeking a year visa.....

There were many times looking at the conflicting information on TV that I almost gave the whole thing away, spent my money and went home!

I just have to wonder why they make it so hard. Is it a uniquely Thai thing? Malaysia see fit to give me 90 days at the border, Cambodia reputedly has a perpetual business visa, but the one country that I actually want to live in makes it so frakking difficult.

Perhaps it's the sort of people that want to do the job- I can't imagine rational people coming up with all the BS- same goes for western countries. Excuse me I need to find a wall to hit my head on- at least it'll feel better when I stop, unlike the visa exemption process, arrrrrgh!

I agree with the confusion ....because of the various officers and locations the experience many have had certainly vary. The type-O non-immigrant visa for reasons of visiting family (marriage visa) seems the most fraught with difficulties...This is why Visa service businesses have many customers....I did this myself...mostly relying on information here..trying to disregard the extreme examples of rosy easy experiences, and heartbreaking impossible ones..... many people have gotten this visa , I know I qualify and this suits my situation...the discretion of the interview staff and the changing directives to possibly scrutinize these visa requests more closely, make it feel like a crap shoot with the dice they provide on the day you go.....Beachlover if you change your mind on this we can meet for a beer sometime in Lamphun and you can review every document and step it took me...(beer is on you !!!) ...save beating your head against the wall for the family issues..there's no way around those !!!! jap.gif

Edited by 62strat

I agree with the confusion ....because of the various officers and locations the experience many have had certainly vary. The type-O non-immigrant visa for reasons of visiting family (marriage visa) seems the most fraught with difficulties...This is why Visa service businesses have many customers....I did this myself...mostly relying on information here..trying to disregard the extreme examples of rosy easy experiences, and heartbreaking impossible ones..... many people have gotten this visa , I know I qualify and this suits my situation...the discretion of the interview staff and the changing directives to possibly scrutinize these visa requests more closely, make it feel like a crap shoot with the dice they provide on the day you go.....Beachlover if you change your mind on this we can meet for a beer sometime in Lamphun and you can review every document and step it took me...(beer is on you !!!) ...save beating your head against the wall for the family issues..there's no way around those !!!! jap.gif

Thanks, but the 800,000 is in the bank and now just have to let it sit till I can apply for the "no hassle" retirement option.

Of course if they put up the amount needed and I can't get retirement I'll bring a beer or two for you to discuss the cheaper option ( never have been able to work out why it's cheaper for two ).

• 1 month later...

Went today for my 3rd spousal visa extension and having used the online queue, i was promptly called at my appt. time (1pm) and out of the office by 1:50 pm.

So all was smooth EXCEPT for some new income stuff:

i have to come back tomorrow with proof of my income as stated on my consular notarized document - my wife informed the officer that this was not required last year and she acknowledged that it was a new requirement.

Edited by zippydedodah