Escaping Police, Sanctions?

shadyanna

Hi,

What are the risks for that:

I was in Pattaya (grrr I hate this city) when a cop stop me.

Ok i show my thai motorcycle driving license but he starts to ask the insurance.

I just forgot it at home and I was 60 km far from there. He kept my driving license (why stupid i gave it to him) a

deliver me a nice fine of 1000 BHT. I explained (in thai), i had everything at home, was working in Thailand and

all police control never said nothing etc...

No way. He said he wouldn't allow to let go the bike until I show the papers. Well I was always smiling, acting dumb and patient.

I just waited he was busy with another "customer", turned on my bike and went away.....

He kept my driving license (card) and plate number on the fine (with passport number in).

I was too lazy to go back to F***g Pattaya. And I would never pay the fine.

What can I risk? What should I do?

I would have my driving license back as I have all papers requested and my moto is perfectly legal.

Should ever come back in a police station? May I have the risk that they notice when I m leaving the country? (I have multy entry visa)

Every comments, advices and experience are welcome. I'm conscious to not be on my rights, especially in Thailand. I respect the thai police to do effort to be strict with everyone.

It was just a little bit too much "I chase Farangs because they have money and nice moto".

Thanks for your answers.

well done mate - good call.

a new license cant be that much

Yeah, really smart.

Running away from police that have loaded weapons and the ability to make your life quite difficult. There's a reason why so many Thai police are corrupt, it's because they can. (Although in this case, it doesn't even sound like corruption)

OP. When you got your licence did you not have to get a certificate confirming your address? I may be wrong but the chances are that the OB know where you live. Have you not wondered why they didn't make more of an effort to stop you right there and then?

knock knock

Edited by Moonrakers

well done mate - good call.

a new license cant be that much

Yeah, really smart.

Running away from police that have loaded weapons and the ability to make your life quite difficult. There's a reason why so many Thai police are corrupt, it's because they can. (Although in this case, it doesn't even sound like corruption)

OP. When you got your licence did you not have to get a certificate confirming your address? I may be wrong but the chances are that the OB know where you live. Have you not wondered why they didn't make more of an effort to stop you right there and then?

knock knock

Yes you are definitly in the wrong here - if you drive you need your lisence, your insurance sticker and tax sticker - if you don't have it he can fine you. you where lucky that he let you go on the bike - as too many drive around here without insurance and if someone else gets hurt they are screwed - never see any money for hospital bills e.g..

I would pay the fine and thats it.

If he would have fined you for no reason - different story.

Well,

My nationality doesn't import. I had only 200 BHT when happened and they refused to understand.

I'm not really fearing that they will come to look for me as I am living quite far from Pattaya and they should have others things to do that loosing time for that.

I am just wondering how is the communication in Police network in thailand?

Do they keep IT records for that stupid things? (Please it's a fine for "not presentation of insurance", because insurance was at home)

In the country where I am coming from, you have 3 days to present your documents and they never keep your license.

Anyway, I have a second thai license for cars, an international license and I could declare someone stole my thai bike license in Bangkok. ;P (Or I lost it)

And thanks for the judging comments that are not giving any clues or help but surely written from a bar corner.

No one has asked the all-important question "What the H--- were you doing in Pattaya?"

This is what happens to people who think it's a good idea to go to Pattaya. They don't start with a full load of brains to start with and it only gets worse once they're exposed to the girls and beer of that town.

This is what happens to people who think it's a good idea to go to Pattaya. They don't start with a full load of brains to start with and it only gets worse once they're exposed to the girls and beer of that town.

Looking at the profile appears the OP is female. :whistling:

It's a 'she' in town for the girls then. That spices things up a bit. biggrin.gif

In the country where I am coming from, you have 3 days to present your documents and they never keep your license.

Anyway, I have a second thai license for cars, an international license and I could declare someone stole my thai bike license in Bangkok. ;P (Or I lost it)

Ah but in case you hadnt noticed you are not in the country you are coming from.....:rolleyes:

Further on you now intend to commit fraud by reporting that your bike license has been stolen....not very smart, seeing as its the BiB who have got your license...:whistling:

You may be better, getting your insurance papers and taking them to the copshop concerned, present them, kowtow a little, cos you did a runner, pay the "appropriate" fine and get your license back all over with.

Drivers licenses these days in Thailand are computerised so one would suspect the BiB counld access information anywhere in the country...

As a last little bit of advice, in future dont ,as farang do a runner from a policeman who has a loaded gun at his side in Thailand....not smart, not worth getting shot over THB 1000...pay the money smile and walks away.

Shadyanna,

Answering your question, and not morally judging you on your decision to leave the scene, it is my understanding that things are kept very local and Thailand does not have the infrastructure to track you if you should apply for another license. They hold at the local station figuring you will return to pay fine and retrieve your license. They are not going to send the police to your home. Its just not what they do here for traffic infractions.

I will offer this tidbit of advice, in the event you do get pulled over or caught in one of those BIB dragnet deals your best course of action is DO NOT speak Thai to them. Make it difficult for them to communicate with you. If you are too much work they will let you go for easier prey. I never ever speak Thai or even attempt to when pulled over(my Thai is not that good anyway). I have been herded 4 or 5 times into those BIB deals and as soon as I take my helmet off and speak nothing but English they look at me, try and talk Thai, I shrug my shoulders and speak more English and very fast and then they usually let me go. I have yet to be asked for Insurance and my Tax tag is under the seat. I keep my Thai license in one pocket with 100 bht just in case. I never have my license anywhere near my wallet or other money.

I am not saying in anyway that all BIB stops are unwarranted. I see many that are no helmets, no tax tag, riding in far right lane etc. but there are an awful lot that are just flat out extortion. Also be advised as the end of a month nears these BIB dragnets pick up. Bills are coming due.

Best of luck and do not lose sleep over it.....

OH Yeah....Sheeeeesh Stay away from Pattaya.....biggrin.gif . Nothing good ever happens in that dump.

Shadyanna,

Answering your question, and not morally judging you on your decision to leave the scene, it is my understanding that things are kept very local and Thailand does not have the infrastructure to track you if you should apply for another license. They hold at the local station figuring you will return to pay fine and retrieve your license. They are not going to send the police to your home. Its just not what they do here for traffic infractions.

I

Not having insurance papers was the traffic infraction, doing a runner from the BiB is not a traffic infraction...:rolleyes: they have the OP's address, passport number etc etc....wouldly hardly require James Bond to track the OP down if they decided to.

As someone stated already, you gave your details in to get the new license. And yes some offices are computerized and linked to others, especially within the province, out of the province might be different. More and more Government offices are starting to be linked together.

Never do a runner, they would not have shot, as you were a moving target and also maybe too many other people around you.

Just go back, apologize and get your license back. Remember any Police action could be recorded and when you go for your extension things may come back to haunt you.

pay the money smile and walks away.

I disagree… Pay 1000B smile and walk away is perhaps the very reason that so many westerners in tourist area’s are a prime target for this sort of extortion.

---------------

Firstly: Find out the law. Can you be charged for not carrying your insurance documents?

Can anyone on TV.com confirm (not assume) that it is illegal not to carry your insurance documents around?

IF it is illegal not to carry your insurance documents, what is the correct fine? 1000B seems very steep.

I know of a guy who was stopped on his bike. All his papers were present and in order, they then measured his licence plate and found that it was 1mm too small, the police tried to fine him (I’m not sure of the amount), he paid 100B tea money, but of course was stopped next time for something else. He’s now an easy target.

What can we do to avoid these fines?

• Of course carry all documents, ensure you are fully legal.

• Do your best (politely) not to actually hand over your licence.

• Don’t let the officer remove your keys (do your best to prevent this).

• Having a connection always helps, more often than not by simply picking up the phone and being prepared to dial the issue suddenly disappears.

• If fined and you disagree – its ok to discuss the issue (firmly but politely).

• If you can’t stop the fine and they take your licence, pick it up at they station a day later.

• If picking up your licence a day later is not always convenient (Police know this) so you might have to ‘negotiate’ something. The amount of the ‘on the spot’ fine is generally regional and is a direct result of how easily and to what extent foreigners have been intimidated in the past.

It’s not a perfect world and each situation is different – Some Police will be more ‘ballsy’ than others, some more intimidating and less polite, some quite relaxed.

Not loosing your temper but maintaining a firm stance is often the best way not to be taken advantage of.

My experience is of course a little different in a car – but I can’t remember paying more than 100b

1) BKK: Stopped for Tax being out of date: I thanked the officer for spotting it and gave him 100b.

2) BKK: Stopped for making an illegal turn – I didn’t realize it at the time, I argued my case, when the officer pointed out my mistake I gave him 70b (pretending that’s all I had after hiding the rest of my money).

3) BKK: Stopped entering the expressway and asked where am I going – I answered and was waved on.

4) Khon Kaen: Stopped on a highway for being in the outside lane (the right lane of two) – I pointed out ‘Of course I was, I was overtaking !’, I was waved on.

5) BKK: Stopped for turning right from the middle lane (a deliberate cheeky manoeuvre, I was in a rush) – I had difficulty understanding the officer (strong accent, not really attempting make his Thai easily understood to a foreigner) – I picked up my phone to call a friend and instead was immediately waved along (I would have been happy to pay a fine for this error).

Edited by richard_smith237

I disagree… Pay 1000B smile and walk away is perhaps the very reason that so many westerners in tourist area’s are a prime target for this sort of extortion.

---------------

Firstly: Find out the law. Can you be charged for not carrying your insurance documents?

Can anyone on TV.com confirm (not assume) that it is illegal not to carry your insurance documents around?

IF it is illegal not to carry your insurance documents, what is the correct fine? 1000B seems very steep.

I know of a guy who was stopped on his bike. All his papers were present and in order, they then measured his licence plate and found that it was 1mm too small, the police tried to fine him (I’m not sure of the amount), he paid 100B tea money, but of course was stopped next time for something else. He’s now an easy target.

• Don’t let the officer remove your keys (do your best to prevent this).

• Having a connection always helps, more often than not by simply picking up the phone and being prepared to dial the issue suddenly disappears.

• If fined and you disagree – its ok to discuss the issue (firmly but politely).

• If you can’t stop the fine and they take your licence, pick it up at they station a day later.

• If picking up your licence a day later is not always convenient (Police know this) so you might have to ‘negotiate’ something. The amount of the ‘on the spot’ fine is generally regional and is a direct result of how easily and to what extent foreigners have been intimidated in the past.

It’s not a perfect world and each situation is different – Some Police will be more ‘ballsy’ than others, some more intimidating and less polite, some quite relaxed.

Not loosing your temper but maintaining a firm stance is often the best way not to be taken advantage of.

My experience is of course a little different in a car – but I can’t remember paying more than 100b

1) BKK: Stopped for Tax being out of date: I thanked the officer for spotting it and gave him 100b.

2) BKK: Stopped for making an illegal turn – I didn’t realize it at the time, I argued my case, when the officer pointed out my mistake I gave him 70b (pretending that’s all I had after hiding the rest of my money).

3) BKK: Stopped entering the expressway and asked where am I going – I answered and was waved on.

4) Khon Kaen: Stopped on a highway for being in the outside lane (the right lane of two) – I pointed out ‘Of course I was, I was overtaking !’, I was waved on.

5) BKK: Stopped for turning right from the middle lane (a deliberate cheeky manoeuvre, I was in a rush) – I had difficulty understanding the officer (strong accent, not really attempting make his Thai easily understood to a foreigner) – I picked up my phone to call a friend and instead was immediately waved along (I would have been happy to pay a fine for this error).

This is all very nice, but OP also did a runner from the BiB, so this is possibly a little more than not carrying insurance documents (which I believe is required by law)

therefore my original remark of going to the BiB concerned, kowtowing a bit and negotiating a little, and if its still THB 1000, pay the cash, smile as walk away..stands,

The OP could be up for 1 a traffic offense (insurance) 2. "fleeing the scene" which would not be a "traffic offense"

First of all, the THB 1000 fine was totally out of order and more or less a hidden request for tea-money. Next time pay the BiB THB 100 and that's it.

Second, in one way or the other there is some kind of police computer network, but it is more based on Thai and their ways of identifications.

Getting a new driver-license for a motorbike will cost you THB 100 max, but the hustle is worse.

Getting your license back from the BiB; you need to know where the BiB is based; Soi 9 or Banglamung or maybe even Na-Jomtien.

Well done. ;)

It's a 'she' in town for the girls then. That spices things up a bit. biggrin.gif

Stupid. They are other things to do in Pattaya. This week end there was the world wide championship of karate-do. Very Nice.

Shadyanna,

I will offer this tidbit of advice, in the event you do get pulled over or caught in one of those BIB dragnet deals your best course of action is DO NOT speak Thai to them. Make it difficult for them to communicate with you. If you are too much work they will let you go for easier prey. I never ever speak Thai or even attempt to when pulled over(my Thai is not that good anyway). I have been herded 4 or 5 times into those BIB deals and as soon as I take my helmet off and speak nothing but English they look at me, try and talk Thai, I shrug my shoulders and speak more English and very fast and then they usually let me go. I have yet to be asked for Insurance and my Tax tag is under the seat. I keep my Thai license in one pocket with 100 bht just in case. I never have my license anywhere near my wallet or other money.

I am not saying in anyway that all BIB stops are unwarranted. I see many that are no helmets, no tax tag, riding in far right lane etc. but there are an awful lot that are just flat out extortion. Also be advised as the end of a month nears these BIB dragnets pick up. Bills are coming due.

OH Yeah....Sheeeeesh Stay away from Pattaya.....biggrin.gif . Nothing good ever happens in that dump.

Thank you very much. I wouldn't release the bad image of Farangs enable to adapt in the country they are living. But next time, especially in weird areas (Pattaya, Phuket) where this image is common, I will play the role ;)

In Chonburi where I am living and working, I was arrested several times, never had my papers but open mind and communicating attitude in Thai allowed me to not stay more than 3 minutes stopped. Not even need to give 100 BHT, just explained that I had my papers at home and I could come back to show them if they would. I was so sorry. :D

I disagree… Pay 1000B smile and walk away is perhaps the very reason that so many westerners in tourist area's are a prime target for this sort of extortion.

---------------

I know of a guy who was stopped on his bike. All his papers were present and in order, they then measured his licence plate and found that it was 1mm too small, the police tried to fine him (I'm not sure of the amount), he paid 100B tea money, but of course was stopped next time for something else. He's now an easy target.

• Don't let the officer remove your keys (do your best to prevent this).

• If you can't stop the fine and they take your licence, pick it up at they station a day later.

• If picking up your licence a day later is not always convenient (Police know this) so you might have to 'negotiate' something. The amount of the 'on the spot' fine is generally regional and is a direct result of how easily and to what extent foreigners have been intimidated in the past.

It's not a perfect world and each situation is different – Some Police will be more 'ballsy' than others, some more intimidating and less polite, some quite relaxed.

My experience is of course a little different in a car – but I can't remember paying more than 100b

2) BKK: Stopped for making an illegal turn – I didn't realize it at the time, I argued my case, when the officer pointed out my mistake I gave him 70b (pretending that's all I had after hiding the rest of my money).

4) Khon Kaen: Stopped on a highway for being in the outside lane (the right lane of two) – I pointed out 'Of course I was, I was overtaking !', I was waved on.

Thank you very much for your interesting advices and experiences. I will retain some things and certainly try to manage to have my license back next week or in 2 weeks. I'm quite busy with my work anyway.

I just hope they don't stop me before I solve this problem...

First of all, the THB 1000 fine was totally out of order and more or less a hidden request for tea-money. Next time pay the BiB THB 100 and that's it.

Second, in one way or the other there is some kind of police computer network, but it is more based on Thai and their ways of identifications.

Getting a new driver-license for a motorbike will cost you THB 100 max, but the hustle is worse.

Getting your license back from the BiB; you need to know where the BiB is based; Soi 9 or Banglamung or maybe even Na-Jomtien.

Says who, and dont think it was a "hidden request" for tea money, it was a request for tea money..The THB 1000 was the opening bid....if the OP had turned around and said nicely, sorry only have THB 200- 300, they would have taken that as well

In situations like this you have two options, either call the BiB's bluff and tell him to give you the written fine if you have really broken the law and lets go the police station to pay the fine, and in most cases the "real fine is usually a lot less, but costs you time and aggravation in the process, which most people dont want to be hassled with.

If there is nothing legit with the "fine" the BiB will in most cases back down and send you on your merry way.

or

you negotiate a reduced fee for your indiscretion at road side, pay the man and drive away.

The BiB is an very good example of captialism at its best...he wants a little cash for himself, you dont want to be inconvenienced with a trip to the local copshop.....therefore everyone wins....only sticking point is the fee...;)

The last thing you do though is do a runner...

ps believe it cost al little more than THB 100 to get a bike license these days....:whistling:

Well,

My nationality doesn't import. I had only 200 BHT when happened and they refused to understand.

I'm not really fearing that they will come to look for me as I am living quite far from Pattaya and they should have others things to do that loosing time for that.

I am just wondering how is the communication in Police network in thailand?

Do they keep IT records for that stupid things? (Please it's a fine for "not presentation of insurance", because insurance was at home)

And thanks for the judging comments that are not giving any clues or help but surely written from a bar corner.

Hi ‘shadtanna’

Ok mate here it is, as I see it……You’re in the wrong and nowyou’re looking at ways to make it worse for yourself. This is obviously playingon your mind…….Just man-up and deal with it. GO AND PAY THE FINE…..Job done!

I agree a ‘K’ is abit steep, but what you gonna do, Run off and join the navy?

The not having your paper work with you when stopped is justone of those things; it can happen to anyone…….Even TV’ers believe it or not.

However, now you are moving into the ‘bonehead zone’ Get agrip of yourself, get to Pattaya with the money, pay your fine, get your licenseback, have a beer……..Ride home.

Living in Thailand, I think is a challenge for many reasons,corruption is rife for one, though it seems your ‘bust’ was above board, if youwant a quiet life here you need to stay of radar mate. You never know what mayhappen if you don’t squire this away, it could come back and bite you in waysyou can’t imagine.

Picture this; The BIB typical files all the paperwork, with yourlicense in a draw, and forgets about it. A cop on nights finds it, reads it, seesan angle to extract some money from you, using your Thai license Passportnumber gets your address….One night he and some buddy’s, (in his own time)turns up at your place, kicks your door in, puts a .45 to your head and tellsyou your under arrest, slaps you in chuffs, and tells you you’re going toprison….What do you do now? Apart from the thought of ending up as someone’sbitch and having your ass turned into a clown’s pocket. You will not have aclue.

But lucky for you this cop has an idea……..Pay him an on thespot fine, say 75K, he can fix it so you walk.

Don’t make the mistake of thinking this only happens infilms.

Pay-up……Move on.

Everything depends upon whether or not the cop bothered to create a new case about you using your drivers license details when he got back to the station. I doubt it, but it is possible I reckon.

If he did, going back to the station and saying 'sorry' will not protect you from prosecution for fleeing the scene. It will be on record as an unsolved crime and they will take you to court for it unless you know how to bribe them, IMHO.

Owning up to wrongdoing simply isn't the done thing in Thailand for several reasons. Look at all the 'hit and run' cases on the roads. Look at all the politicians. The bent business people. No one owns up. Ever. I think the adage 'When in Rome....' applies here.

Ah but in case you hadnt noticed you are not in the country you are coming from.....:rolleyes:

Further on you now intend to commit fraud by reporting that your bike license has been stolen....not very smart, seeing as its the BiB who have got your license...:whistling:

You may be better, getting your insurance papers and taking them to the copshop concerned, present them, kowtow a little, cos you did a runner, pay the "appropriate" fine and get your license back all over with.

Drivers licenses these days in Thailand are computerised so one would suspect the BiB counld access information anywhere in the country...

As a last little bit of advice, in future dont ,as farang do a runner from a policeman who has a loaded gun at his side in Thailand....not smart, not worth getting shot over THB 1000...pay the money smile and walks away.

Ah a sensible reply at last.

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

Shadyanna,

Thank you very much. I wouldn't release the bad image of Farangs enable to adapt in the country they are living. But next time, especially in weird areas (Pattaya, Phuket) where this image is common, I will play the role ;)

In Chonburi where I am living and working, I was arrested several times, never had my papers but open mind and communicating attitude in Thai allowed me to not stay more than 3 minutes stopped. Not even need to give 100 BHT, just explained that I had my papers at home and I could come back to show them if they would. I was so sorry. :D

I disagree… Pay 1000B smile and walk away is perhaps the very reason that so many westerners in tourist area's are a prime target for this sort of extortion.

---------------

I know of a guy who was stopped on his bike. All his papers were present and in order, they then measured his licence plate and found that it was 1mm too small, the police tried to fine him (I'm not sure of the amount), he paid 100B tea money, but of course was stopped next time for something else. He's now an easy target.

• Don't let the officer remove your keys (do your best to prevent this).

• If you can't stop the fine and they take your licence, pick it up at they station a day later.

• If picking up your licence a day later is not always convenient (Police know this) so you might have to 'negotiate' something. The amount of the 'on the spot' fine is generally regional and is a direct result of how easily and to what extent foreigners have been intimidated in the past.

It's not a perfect world and each situation is different – Some Police will be more 'ballsy' than others, some more intimidating and less polite, some quite relaxed.

My experience is of course a little different in a car – but I can't remember paying more than 100b

2) BKK: Stopped for making an illegal turn – I didn't realize it at the time, I argued my case, when the officer pointed out my mistake I gave him 70b (pretending that's all I had after hiding the rest of my money).

4) Khon Kaen: Stopped on a highway for being in the outside lane (the right lane of two) – I pointed out 'Of course I was, I was overtaking !', I was waved on.

Thank you very much for your interesting advices and experiences. I will retain some things and certainly try to manage to have my license back next week or in 2 weeks. I'm quite busy with my work anyway.

I just hope they don't stop me before I solve this problem...

If they do you have even more problems. :lol::lol:

jb1

Extorion?

So did you miss the bit where shadyanna couldn't present her insurance details?

Edited by Moonrakers