15 Baht For A Cold Towel...

thaigerd

I would put the towel charge down to bad management and should be calculated in monthly overheads much like toilet paper and napkins.

Service charges in restaurants is starting to creep in, i understand why hotels do it but now restaurants?

I like it better when i tipped based on the actual service and not just getting 10 percent tacked onto the bill for shitty rude service.

Greed has many angles.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mc Donalds in Patong and Mc Donalds in the rest of Phuket have different prices. Just like manhattan 5th avenue is more than other areas

Plus you never see any of the promotional prices/deals offered at McD in Phuket Town.

ive seen up to 240 baht more for a value meal in some of the mining towns in australia, $6 meal in Perth costs you $14 in karratha (from memory, but i could be out a couple of bucks). And you thought you got stung in Phuket, Also $6.50 per cucumber in Port Hedland, and 80 cents in Sydney. $5 for a schooner in a nice pub on the gold coast, $9 at most West Australian Regional airports. $4 for a bottle of water just about everywhere, petrol between $1.30 and $2.30 a litre, our dollar is double what it was worth 2 years ago...im still yet to see the price of ANYTHING drop. Imported cars should have halved in price but havent, dont get me started on currency exchange at all international airports......25% extra, yes thats right, so when you go to change your money its 26 baht to the dollar instead of 30.5, plus their little 10% commission and then a 10%GST......Still worried about a few baht extra on your bill? Go to Australia, full of criminals that dont carry guns to rob you :)

Mc Donalds in Patong and Mc Donalds in the rest of Phuket have different prices. Just like manhattan 5th avenue is more than other areas

Plus you never see any of the promotional prices/deals offered at McD in Phuket Town.

ive seen up to 240 baht more for a value meal in some of the mining towns in australia, $6 meal in Perth costs you $14 in karratha (from memory, but i could be out a couple of bucks). And you thought you got stung in Phuket, Also $6.50 per cucumber in Port Hedland, and 80 cents in Sydney. $5 for a schooner in a nice pub on the gold coast, $9 at most West Australian Regional airports. $4 for a bottle of water just about everywhere, petrol between $1.30 and $2.30 a litre, our dollar is double what it was worth 2 years ago...im still yet to see the price of ANYTHING drop. Imported cars should have halved in price but havent, dont get me started on currency exchange at all international airports......25% extra, yes thats right, so when you go to change your money its 26 baht to the dollar instead of 30.5, plus their little 10% commission and then a 10%GST......Still worried about a few baht extra on your bill? Go to Australia, full of criminals that dont carry guns to rob you :)

excellent, so bored of people bashing the Thai 2 price system, while most countries have several pricing systems

excellent, so bored of people bashing the Thai 2 price system, while most countries have several pricing systems

^^ The only differance being that the different pricing teirs in Aus are based on location factors, NOT the nationality of the punter.

Still, cant compare Thailand with Aus in that regard. Australians have to bear higher taxes to keep their higher standard of living...healthcare system, police, government services, not to mention welfare payments to people of other nationalities...who ARE allowed to work and become Aussie citizens :whistling:

^^ The only differance being that the different pricing teirs in Aus are based on location factors, NOT the nationality of the punter.

So are they with Maccy D's and other food outlets here in Phuket. ;)

Nobody was talking about two tier pricing for any other reason than location, but well done for shoe horning it in. :blink:

Double pricing for Farang isn't due again until next month, and a thread titled 'Is the word Farang racist' isn't due until October. :D

No need to have a 'racist' pricing system in aus, when your fleecing 20million people at the amounts I was talking about, its the heist of the century. Btw you tried to migrate to australia recently? Not that easy. Especially if your black or asian

No need to have a 'racist' pricing system in aus, when your fleecing 20million people at the amounts I was talking about, its the heist of the century. Btw you tried to migrate to australia recently? Not that easy. Especially if your black or asian

agreed

while it is very easy for an Ozzie to be allowed to enter Thailand, it is hard for me to bring my Thai GF for a few weeks holiday to OZ

So are they with Maccy D's and other food outlets here in Phuket. ;)

Nobody was talking about two tier pricing for any other reason than location, but well done for shoe horning it in. :blink:

agreed

I was charged $10 for a Schooner in Surfers Paradise a month or so back. Reminded me how cheap Phuket is....with or without cold towel

Really the original post was asking if people thought it is reasonable to charge 15 baht for a cold towel in a restaurant where a meal for two without wine comes to 2,000 baht. For me the answer is clearly no, it is not reasonable, but then, as BTB says, one has to factor in the TIT effect. In such a pricey restaurant one would expect a cold towel to be offered for free anyway even if not asked for but one cannot assume or expect anything on these fair shores.

During my time here I have found that these little annoyances are like straws on the camel's back. When I first arrived here they didn't bother me at all but over time the straws have built up and these situations bug me more and more. I am aware that individually they are mere nothings but the weight of years of minor injustices becomes too heavy to bear and my frustration bubbles to the top. I empathize with the OP. The straws have become too heavy and this camel's back has been broken. I am preparing to leave Phuket and return to my homeland for a while with a new camel sans straws. No doubt many new straws in my homeland will eventually break this new camel's back and when it does I shall return to Thailand, but definitely not Phuket.

And moving to some where else in Thailand will of course solve your complaining. lol

1. I am sure most of the Thai population will not miss me but it would be nice to think that those I have befriended might...sometimes.

2. Moving to another part of Thailand would make a big difference. When I first came here it was still a relatively sleepy tropical island; no traffic, no big shopping malls, no exploitative business people. Over the years Phuket has changed enormously and, for me, it has become Bangkok-by-the-sea. I don't hate the place and it has served me very well, it is just that I do not like the direction it has gone in and I need a break. My plans are to move to another part of Thailand but before then I wish to spend some time in my own country to revisit old friends and regain some perspective.

3. I was not complaining, merely empathizing. It is hard for me to believe that a farang could move here and not encounter frustrations of some sort. Perhaps you are unique.

The inherent problem with these expat forums is that they are littered with posters who are either bored/drunk/inerudite/angry/bitter/mocking/quick to judge (or a combination of some or all of them) who love to post snide comments without actually reading and/or understanding what they are replying to. I really enjoy the positive posts that I read but posts such as your unkind "I am sure the Thai people will not miss you!! " are characteristic of the ones I dislike and makes you part of the litter I so wish didn't post.

Still, cant compare Thailand with Aus in that regard. Australians have to bear higher taxes to keep their higher standard of living...healthcare system, police, government services, not to mention welfare payments to people of other nationalities...who ARE allowed to work and become Aussie citizens :whistling:

I'm not Australian and am not a professional on the subject but my understanding is that the Indigenous people of Australia face a lot of challenges in OZ in regards to land ownership, racism etc. I'm sure they have their own OZy Visa forum where they complain about the dual pricing and condos that are being built on their cultural land. Bet they don't get cold towels for free either.

Now I have another one and trying to find an explanation. I ordered a birthday cake 5 days before the event with a pastry shop that has a counter in 1 of Phuket's supermarkets. I choose a Cake from the catalog of the pastry counter, I pick up the cake myself, I don't want candles and the only extra is the writing " Happy birthday....."

If I buy a the same cake at the counter, they charge 540 Baht per pound, if I order the same cake for pick up in 5 days, it is 650 baht per pound or an increase of 20%

I am sure that many of you have very valid explanations, but I am still looking for one, and I did not get an explanation from the manager of the pastry shop, but he agreed to sell at 540 baht per pound for the cake I ordered 5 days in advance.

This thread reminds me of the time I went to 'If it Swims We Have It!' (on Sukhumvit 26).

It's a very touristy seafood restaurant and while expensive there is a novelty factor that visitors always enjoy that make it worthy of a visit....

They do like their add-ons though...

I remember a time at 'If it Swims We Have It!' when we were brought 4 towels without asking and I sent them back.

The waitress came back telling me we 'had to have the towels' !!! No we didn't, and they were taken back.

When the bill came we were charged for the towels (not much but I can't remember exactly, maybe 10 or 20B each).

My request to have the charge for the towels removed from the bill was rejected, so I started to play up a little, have a little fun, stick to my principles and refused to pay the bill...

The manager offered a discount for the towels !!!!

Eventually the towels were removed from the bill.

On the whole a highly entertaining and typically Thai experience.

One of the things I have learnt while in Thailand is to always double check the bills at a restaurant, especially if eating in numbers - Nearly always there is a mistake, strange how the mistake rarely costs the customer less !

I was told by a Thai friend - It's amazing the lengths a Thai will go to to harmlessly cheat a little extra money. I would find this comment quite unfair if I'd heard if from a Westerner, pretty much word for word this comment was from a Thai chappy...

Was this restaurant in Chalong on the beach, or Rawai on the beach? I'd like to know the name of the place ( this isn't naming and shaming, just stating of facts) so I don't go there. A good Thai meal on the water with some large tiger prawns and a cold big beer shouldn't be more than 1500. If it's just some normal Thai dishes, it shouldn't be over 800 for two people.

Giving the name or exact location is 'name & shame' and will be removed under Thaivisa rules.

This issue came up in a thread several months ago. It was asked of the mods, "What is the difference between a name and shame and a restaurant/hotel/bar/cafe review?"

To date, no answer has been forthcoming.

If I go to a bar and say on TV, "Bar ABC charged 150 baht for a Tiger beer." Is that a name and shame, a review or simply stating a fact? If I go to a restaurant and say to members on TV, "Restaurant XYZ charged 2000 baht for a steak and we had to wait one hour for the meal and the steak was tough." Is that a name and shame, a review or stating the facts.? Or, in this case, 15 baht for a cold towel.

The main purpose of these internet forums is the exchange of information. Having knowledge of such information benefits the forum members. Why shouldn't we be allowed to know what's on the menu, what prices are being charged and what other members think of a place?

The main thread on the Phuket Forum is "My Favourite Restaurant" - (over 64,000 views) Many restaurants are named and there is open discussion on good and bad points. Why is this case any different?

I am not having a go at the mods - just the "rules."

Have to agree this is really poor business sense but typical for LOS. Vote with your feet by not going back.

Like you said, typical for LOS. If you vote with your feet and don't go back all over 15 baht, then you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. If the food is good, and you have no other problems with the place, is it really worth not being able to use it again over 'poor business sense'? At the end of the day here, no one was wronged, and nobody was ripped off. He asked for something, he got it, and he was charged 15 bahr for it. Crime of the century?

It's not the food, it's not the bill and it's not the service. Those are important but at the end of the day It's all about the whole experience meeting the expectations. How do you feel after getting out of the restaurant. That's were you vote with your money.

If OP felt that the restaurant was milking his wallet and got bad feeling about it, he should not go back. I would neither.

This thread reminds me of the time I went to 'If it Swims We Have It!' (on Sukhumvit 26).

It's a very touristy seafood restaurant and while expensive there is a novelty factor that visitors always enjoy that make it worthy of a visit....

They do like their add-ons though...

I remember a time at 'If it Swims We Have It!' when we were brought 4 towels without asking and I sent them back.

The waitress came back telling me we 'had to have the towels' !!! No we didn't, and they were taken back.

When the bill came we were charged for the towels (not much but I can't remember exactly, maybe 10 or 20B each).

My request to have the charge for the towels removed from the bill was rejected, so I started to play up a little, have a little fun, stick to my principles and refused to pay the bill...

The manager offered a discount for the towels !!!!

Eventually the towels were removed from the bill.

On the whole a highly entertaining and typically Thai experience.

One of the things I have learnt while in Thailand is to always double check the bills at a restaurant, especially if eating in numbers - Nearly always there is a mistake, strange how the mistake rarely costs the customer less !

I was told by a Thai friend - It's amazing the lengths a Thai will go to to harmlessly cheat a little extra money. I would find this comment quite unfair if I'd heard if from a Westerner, pretty much word for word this comment was from a Thai chappy...

Sounds like a very relaxing holiday. :) :)

Mother in law eh? Didn't you very recently post that your wife had registered 'the house you had bought to live in with your wife and her children', a 30 year lease on it with another farang whilst you were absent? Her stating at the Land Registration Office that she had declared herself a widow? And complaining that the officials were not interested? You back together then? Or did you re-marry in haste?

OMG, clearly I need to watch out for the people who check the accuracy of posts here.

I should have said my current partners mother, but I was trying to make a quick comment without going into too much irrelevant detail.

No we are not back together, nor will we ever be, and I haven't remarried, in haste or otherwise, though my current partner and have lived together for four years, without her support I would have probably gone under ages ago..

Sorry to veer off topic.

Edited by theoldgit

Come on mate you are talking about Port Headland, its in the middle of nowhere and is a

centre for iron ore export the costs are high but so are the wages and salaries

Every time i return to Perth there are more people every time from Asia and other countries :)

agreed

while it is very easy for an Ozzie to be allowed to enter Thailand, it is hard for me to bring my Thai GF for a few weeks holiday to OZ

Go into Australia on a illegal boat throw your passports away and claim to be refugees you may get in OK

Free towels in the detention centres :D

I wouldn't go back as the whole experiene of the restaurant baht pinching wouldn't go down well with me.

Just waiting for a restaurant to start charging extra to have the food delivered to the table.

That's just it. Everybody has agreed that it isn't penny pinching at all, because everybody has agreed that it would be fine and expected for the cost of the towels to be worked in to the cost of the food.

It's clumsy business practice at worst, and seeing as this is South East Asia, no biggy for me.

If the bill had turned up and it was 2015 Baht and no mention of the wet towels, the OP would have been as happy as larry. If instead of 400 baht, the fish dish on the menu had been 415, again he would have been perfectly happy. It's this logic I can't get my head around. If anything they've been more honest and given you more information as to how your bill came to be how much it was. Boycotting the place as if they were guilty of some major deceit, is way OTT for me.

Come on mate you are talking about Port Headland, its in the middle of nowhere and is a

centre for iron ore export the costs are high but so are the wages and salaries

Every time i return to Perth there are more people every time from Asia and other countries :)

Port Hedland is closer to Singapore than Sydney (just in case you didnt know we buy most of our refined oil products from there and it comes in by ships with 3rd world labor). Its twice the price to fill up, also just in case you need a lesson in geography and history, Perth is closer to most of our Asian neighbours than the rest of our capital cities, so funnily enough you will see people of asian extraction there. Asians have been in Australia since the gold rush. Yes I used Port Hedland as an example, but i also used a lot of other places in Australia as an example also.rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Go into Australia on a illegal boat throw your passports away and claim to be refugees you may get in OK

Free towels in the detention centres :D

yeah its that easy mate, obviously you havent seen that they detain children along with adults in those places, sexual assualt is rife, along with self harm and suicide, they are political hot potatoes at all times, . youve got a lot of compassion Peter...maybe wet towels are free there because they are passed from shower cubicle to shower cubicle....the backpackers that overstay get a plane ride home....if your black or arab you get locked up and deported to Kuala Lumpur. I think you better drop that one Peter because you wont get many tambourine bashing conservatives in this forum, most of the people in this forum live in Asia

Amazing!

More than 1600 views and 82 replies for my wet towel adventure :rolleyes:

Yep you touched on racism and rip offs, plus its raining rolleyes.gif

Racism and rip offs?? You're seeing things that you want to see there mate. None of either in the OP as far as I can tell.