Bangkok Immigration Office

Does the Bangkok immigration office require a signed 6 month lease to apply for a non immigrant O visa? I don't see it as a requirement in the regulations, but I was told at the Jomtien office they "Prefer" to see a signed 6 month lease.

I don't have a lease because I haven't decided yet where I want to settle in Thailand. I meet all the income requirements as well as the age requirement. I'm not sure what the medical certificate entails but I have little doubt I could get it.

For retirement above the age of 50, an annually extendable visa is available, with proof required (letter from Embassy) of a minimum of 65,000 baht (c. £1000, $1800) per month from an overseas pension or 800,000 baht ($20,000) deposited in a Thai bank account when applying for or renewing this visa. New requirements mean that this money must now be and remain in the account for 90 days before application or renewal; therefore extra money for living expenses will be needed while waiting for approval. Monthly interim visits must be made to immigration too. A medical certificate is needed from a local hospital (50–100 baht).

I don't know where you got that information but it is not correct.

The requirement for the last several years is 65k per month income as listed on an Embassy or 800k in Thai bank account two months (three months for renewals) or a combination to meet 800k. Other than that filling out TM.7 with current photo, paying 1,900 baht, being over age 50 and providing copy of passport data page, visa page and permitted to stay stamp and departure card. Suspect they will want some form of local address proof but believe that is flexible. No "monthly visits" have ever been required but you must report address every 90 days either in person/by representative or by mail. Medical has not been a requirement for many years.

I don't know where you got that information but it is not correct.

The requirement for the last several years is 65k per month income as listed on an Embassy or 800k in Thai bank account two months (three months for renewals) or a combination to meet 800k. Other than that filling out TM.7 with current photo, paying 1,900 baht, being over age 50 and providing copy of passport data page, visa page and permitted to stay stamp and departure card. Suspect they will want some form of local address proof but believe that is flexible. No "monthly visits" have ever been required but you must report address every 90 days either in person/by representative or by mail. Medical has not been a requirement for many years.

Thank you for the reply. I am over 50 and I do have all the latest financial requirements met. I was knocked back in Jomtien because I didn't have a 6 month lease for an apartment which I don't think is an official requirement. The British attaché who is at the Jomtien installation agreed it isn't an official requirement but he said there's no arguing with them. I know he's right about the arguing matter. I'm currently staying in a monthly serviced apartment which is what I prefer over a lease.

When I was knocked back, I left the place with two pages of my passport rendered worthless with voided stamps. I was simply happy after pleading I was given back the bt. 3,900 I'd paid the person before the final person who turned down my application. Three people total looked at all my paperwork. I paid the second person but the final person had the hammer to drop on me. There would have been nothing I could do if she refused to give back my money even after turning me down for an unofficial requirement.

That's why I'm asking about the Bangkok Immigration office and if the immigration agents at that installation ask for a 6 month lease. I'd like to give the process another shot.

You can be asked for proof of an address at any of the immigration offices, at my extension of stay in Bangkok I brought along a letter from my brokage account addressed to my girlfriends place as I have on lease nor water bill, of course they didn't ask for any proof of address.

You do need an address in the location where you are applying.

Edited by moe666

My local immigration office accepts a Thai driving license and/or utility bills of any kind as proof of address. I think if you're living in the Pattaya area you may not be able to reapply at Bangkok unless you can show a Bangkok address. If you are in a serviced apartment and paying rent, the apartment office should be able to write a letter confirming that you are staying there, which may help.

Edited by Guest

Part of my challenge was there is no office per se. It's just a single serviced apartment building manned by three Thai fellows at the front desk. There's really nothing official here. Only one of the three fellows speaks a little English. I did finally ask that fellow if he would be willing to copy a brief letter of introduction I had translated into Thai if I paid him bt.450 to do so. I had him write it on my last monthly receipt. I gave him bt.100 to write it and said if my application was approved I would give him another bt. 300. I thought there was a good chance immigration may call the hotel on the phone as they did when I applied in the past.

It was not fun being at the immigration office and I'm glad my application was approved. I thank all of you for the information you provided.