Ubon To Pakse

Robby nz

Taxi, tuk tuk or songtaew from train station to bus station then take the international bus straight through to pakse. This subject has been covered quite a few times here so I would suggest a quick search to get some more exact information (like bus time table etc)

I did this in January with gf although we drove to Ubon to see her friend who then took us to the bus station. I can't remember the bus times although as MeMock says they have been mentioned before including in a thread I think I started just before I went.

There are a few points I would make based on my experience.

Be prepared for a very cold bus unless it's changed since the beginning of the year. Although you can turn off the individual air vents the others you can't and the air con seems to be full on all the time creating a very cold down draft. There were people wearing coats, scarves and hats. There was even a guy from Alaska sat in front of me and he was feeling it as well.

If you can take US $ for the Lao immigration it would help as they seem to use an exchange rate that is probably very advantageous for the border guards but not for you. The fee depends on which country your from. Of course if you're Thai then no problem.

The whole procedure is very confusing particularly if you don't speak Thai or have your own translator. You seem to have to wait at a very low blacked window which you have to peer under until someone can be bothered to take you money and passport and then you have to go to another window and pay again to get you passport back. There wasn't so much delay coming back just a crowd of confused tourists. These guys seem to have US security beaten for all round lack of charm and charisma although they don't ask all the questions.

If you happen to be on a bus carrying Lao women who've been to the Thai markets you may be delayed if customs stop the bus and do a search. It's quite stressful when they find something hidden under your seat that you didn't know about.

Enjoy your trip. I certainly did.