Revised Fast-Train Plan Shakes Thailand's Transport Ministry

webfact

Of course they have to save on improving transport,

because the kiddies already wait for their Tablet PC's!

(or better to say: their parents wait for it, as they have already applied for a loan at the local pawn shop for their 'lost' Tablet) … :whistling:

Just wondering why most of these line stop short of the ultimate obvious end of the line.

e.g. the line stops at MAp TA Phut, rather than continue to Rayong which would be the logical 'end of the line'.

Just wondering whether this is to ensure that later there is another major budget for sticky fingers to get into.

I can only think that the only reason to stop at Mapthaput and not push the line into Rayong, which is only about 10km, is that there may be virtually no way to get the line through Mapthaput without buying up some extremely expensive land that has been purchased by industry. Unless the line will go North of the main highway, how to get the line through the industrial areas?

That all said, the idea of stopping in Korat is nonsense, but then TIT. I can believe the trucking and bus companies have been crying to someone about this.

Surely some enterprising politicians wife has already bought the necesary land in anticipatioon of the track. oh dear, husbands shirt is wrong colour.

High Speed train to Laos was an idiotic idea to start with. So is HST to Hua Hin but at least in future the line could became a part of the Southern connection to Phuket, Hat Yai and beyond. But do they want to connect to other countries? Obviously not. This could be used by more foreigners entering Thailand .. brrrr.

Thailand's backtracking after seeing how bad the China-Laos link has gone. Smart move.

How bad HAS the China-Laos link gone? Have they started it?

I have never understood any economic reality behind building a HIGH SPEED train through Laos. A normal freight line maybe.

The country is so rugged and underpopulated the benefits would have to be enormous for China to link with Thailand and onward via Laos.

Chinese road crews have already finished refurbishing the old Burma road from WWII; it is my understanding China wants to ship goods through Yunnan to an ocean port in Burma.

As well, I assume folks are aware of a serious fatal accident last month on the new Shanghai-Beijing high speed route. Even people in China question this headlong rush to build high-speed railways.

Sorry but I forgot this part: The push in China most likely involves massive corruption in the railway ministry, which is almost a government unto itself with its own police and court system.

The more that gets built, the more vastly wealthy some people get. Taxpayer money from Thailand to pay for more and more lines means that much more to line the pockets of the powerful.

BUSINESS

MASS TRANSIT

Expropriation cost for Green Line revised up

By The Nation

Published on August 26, 2011

Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRTA)'s board of directors revised up the land expropriation cost for the Bearing-Samut Prakan section from Bt675 million to Bt1.3 billion.

Transport Permanent Secretary Supodh Saplom, as MRTA chairman, said that the original amount did not include compensations in case of appeals and the purchase of land which could not be developed for any purpose due to the train construction.

The new budget needs to Cabinet's approval.

The expropriation cost widens even after the shrinkage of affected properties to 37 houses and 102 land plots, against 93 houses and 256 land plots.

The board also approved the bid by Ch Karnchang for the 13-km route. Ch Karnchang agreed to quote Bt14.12 billion, which is Bt41 million below the median price.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-26

I'll bet the bus firms serving the south will be happy, particularly private bus companies originating on Khao San Rd. If the hi speed train went as far as Surat, even, never mind Phuket or Malaya, they stand to lose almost all their tourist customers, and perhaps even Thais.

Not that I'm suggesting any envelopes changed hands, of course.

Why on earth would they not want to connect to neighbouring countries networks?

May be the answer to that it that the current plans have the backhanders sorted already. So new government new hands in the trough. Reduce existing plans and create new (!) plans later.

At the end of the day, what would be the benefit to Thailand of having a high-speed rail link to China?

* Do the country and its industries want to be flooded with inexpensive Chinese goods?

* What are the immigration implications? Thailand's history shows that Chinese come in illegally, manage to hang on and get a Thai name and documents, then attempt to dominate the locals.

* What are the strategic dangers? While everyone is buddies right now, that hasn't always been the case. Today the historic buffer of Laos remains.

China is so overpopulated with people living a brutal existence in many places that they are willing to stake everything on a chance at a better life -- compared to a place like Gansu province, Thailand is paradise on earth.

Look at what's happening in Xingjiang -- Han Chinese taking over everything. leaving the native Uygher as "second-class" citizens in their homeland. The same is true in Tibet. The danger from China isn't military invasion, but swarms of Han Chinese populating, then dominating, a region or even country.

Sometimes they remind of the Borg from Star Trek, simply digesting other regions. They already trashed the environment of their own country, and that has been going on for hundreds of years.

Edited by chaoyang

Why on earth would they not want to connect to neighbouring countries networks?

They don't want to connect directly into foreign countries lines as this would cut out the middle men in the transportation business. Truckers and their owners would be cut out of the revenue via the direct link between countries. Stopping lines before entry allows the government and private parties to collect extra taxes and payments. You've been in Thailand long enough to know when they do things that don't make any sense to foreigners the answer is always, "it's about money." Don't ever forget that.

Part quote: .....cut out the middle men in the transportation business. Truckers and their owners ..... .

And guess who owns one of the biggest (and massive) trucking companies in Thailand.

Some clues:

- Old guy

- Name has five letters, starts with S.... Ends with h.

- A decade ago was appointed transport minister, first day on the job he changed the regulations to double the axle load allowed on all roads in Thailand, doing massive damage to roads, let alone making many large vehicles uncontrollable by the driver.

- Still involved with politics and is now top of the picture in pt party.

- Infamous for his involvement in illegally buying temple land which is now the controversial Al.... Gold course and village.

I figured they would blow it somehow, either by cost overruns, delays etc, but to truncate the lines like this surprised me.

I still think they should have gone with a Japanese model rather than the Chinese one. Plenty of safety with the boys from Japan.

TheWalkingMan

Well yes looks like they are going to blow it. China were, i believe, interested in opening up the country with the bullet type trains for trade and many other benefits for adjoining countries like Laos. Thailand don't want this as part of thier self preseveration policy ie; they would be more open to 'invasion'. High speed to Chaing Rai, why, for trade? Bkk to Hua Hin, why, its only 3 hrs south. Again i dont just get it !! is it me ? a group of school kids would make more sense of it all.