3G: Real Move Set For Official Launch Tuesday: 30 August

lomatopo

Real Move will officially launch its third-generation wireless broadband service next Tuesday. (Aug 30).

The company is already running the service, using the 850-megahertz spectrum, under the TrueMove H brand but for post-paid service only. It is expected to launch the prepaid service late this year.

Real Move recently revealed that it had targeted 1 million subscribers this year and planned to spend Bt200 million on a marketing campaign.

CAT Telecom chief executive officer Jirayuth Rungsrithong said yesterday that CAT would make the official launch of its similar 3G-850MHz service soon after the recent soft launch. A source in the state agency said CAT was expected to launch the service officially in October.

CAT entered agreements with Real Move and Real Future - subsidiaries of True Corp - in January in a collaboration to provide 3G service.

Under the deals, Real Future has leased 3G network equipment to CAT, which in turn wholesaled network capacity to interested firms to provide the service. Real Move obtained a 14.5-year lease of 3G capacity from CAT to provide the service.

The CAT-True deals raised doubts on whether they complied with the relevant law and regulations. CAT and True Corp executives have affirmed that they do so.

Jirayuth said IEC and Samart Corp had proposed leasing CAT's wholesale 3G capacity to provide retail service, as had Loxley and AirAsia subsidiary FTTX.

News

Real Move plans official 3G launch for 30 August

Friday 26 August 2011 | 04:17 CET

Thai operator Real Move, part of the True group, will officially launch its 3G services on 30 August. The company is already soft launched the service, which operates on the 850 MHz band under the TrueMove H brand, earlier. The service is only available for postpaid subscribers, prepaid services will be launched later this year, The Nation writes. The company earlier said it aims to sign-up 1 million subscribers for the service this year and will spend THB 200 million on a marketing campaign. Real Move's service is a the result of agreements between it, Real Future and concession parent CAT Telecom to collaborate on 3G services.

Schedule! Real TrueMove H Move launch event Tuesday, August 30, 2554 at 18.00 - 21.00

The short time Move launch event TrueMove H. Due to its real-Move, Ltd. has launched TrueMove H on Tuesday, 30. August 2554 at 18:00 to 21:00 am at Park Square, Siam Paragon, the company makes real-time constraints, you would like to invite the whole team was honored at the event by Mr. Supachai Chearavanont, President /. Chief Executive Officer of True Corporation Public Company Limited (PCL), presided over this event. Agenda. 6 p.m.-7:30 p.m.: Register @ The Jewel zone. 7:30 p.m. to 7:35 p.m.: Welcome MC CEO to give speech. from 19.35 to 20.00: CEO give speech (twenty-fifth. Mins / with Presentation). - the extended network TrueMove H across the country. - What's H? - Brand Personality TrueMove H. - Opening TVC. 20.00 to 20.10: TrueMove H Opening Show. 20.10 to 20.20: Photo Session. 8:20 p.m.-9:00 p.m.: Entertainment & TrueMove H. experience. 9 p.m.: END. Dress Code: Chic & Vibrant in YELLOW / ORANGE / RED. _______________________________________________________. of Se invitation to Road Show by True Move 3G. Day 27 - August 28, 2554 at 11.00 - 19.00 of Se invitation. All Road Show of True Move 3G. an Air Card and Net sim 3G from True Move and demonstrate how to use it and answer all the questions you want to know about True Move 3G. Do not forget to meet all of Se stores. Central Nonthaburi, Big Country and The Mall Bangkapi activity starts at 3 branches close to where the True Move 3G Road Show at the field at all. Associated Press. Congratulations! following CAT-CDMA which changed its name to MY. New market launch of 3G HSPA 850, July 28 / / 50 l packed end to a customer's profile.

Google Translate(d)

Today I am allowed to answer questions about TrueMove H with friends and my sisters and I understand a lot more Truemove H I ... before we know it .... companies before Real Move Real Move, once a subsidiary of True Corporation Corporation Limited (PCL), a leader in convergence lifestyle Real Move the bite is a reseller of services (reseller) of the CAT. which. is a provider of network infrastructure and wholesale services. (Paul Sellers.) by operating under the brands True HD. which provides a wireless communication system with 3G +. HSPA +. up to 21 Mbps on the frequency. 850MHz. On Aug. 28, will serve 2,704 Site, covering Bangkok and its vicinity. Chon Buri, Nakhon Ratchasima, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani and other major cities like Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, Surat Thani, Phuket and so many other important tourist place. By the end of Year 54 is open across the country on the speed of HSDPA + 21 Mbps

From the Quarterly Bulletin - 2Q11/1H11 True Corp. PLC

"TrueMove H 3G+ reseller services, offering improved mobile Broadband with attractive data and voice tariffs, were launched in July 2011 targeting low-to-medium end feature phone users; premium smartphone/tablet users; and those using 3G as alternative to fixed-line Broadband."

"However, the margin from product sales declined mainly from a lower average selling price for smartphone handsets and special discounts (i.e., Motorola Milestone) to incentivize Hutch customers to migrate to TrueMove/TrueMove H."

I hope one of the board members signs up, sticks either his smart phone or lap top in his car/truck or sticks his smart phone to his helmet... connects to ustream or another streaming site and gives us a show. That would be a decent test as to whether or not this 3G is the real deal.

TheWalkingMan

Unfortunately, True is treating Real Move as a separate operation.

So even if you already have a True Move SIM, phone number and data service plan, you won't be able to automatically shift that over to a new Real Move plan.

According to their reps, new Real Move customers will have to go through the entire passport photocopies signing routine and be issued a new SIM card with new phone number...

But once you've established a new account with Real Move, perhaps the number portability scheme would allow someone to transfer in an existing phone number... Not sure about that.

• 2 weeks later...

So even if you already have a True Move SIM, phone number and data service plan, you won't be able to automatically shift that over to a new Real Move plan.

According to their reps, new Real Move customers will have to go through the entire passport photocopies signing routine and be issued a new SIM card with new phone number...

But once you've established a new account with Real Move, perhaps the number portability scheme would allow someone to transfer in an existing phone number... Not sure about that.

Based on the public statements, and True's recent analyst briefing, I am fairly certain this is incorrect. Existing Truemove post-paid customers will be encouraged to transition to Truemove H, keeping the same number but perhaps moving to a different plan/promotion? There have been scant details re: existing Truemove pre-paid customers but I expect the same transition will be encouraged/supported.

So anyone had chance to try out True Move H?

Is upload speed 100kbit like in True Move?

I have a pre-paid Truemove SIM with 3G, and was traveling in areas last week which do not have Truemove 3G coverage. I believe I was roaming on the Truemove H network, and was seeing 4 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. When back in Hua Hin or Bangkok, I was back on the 'legacy' Truemove 3G network, so 3 Mbps/100 Kbps.

I'm kind of hoping they will allow roaming from Truemove to Truemove H, at least for some interim time period?

I'm reluctant to jump on a Truemove H contract (Smartphone, 649 baht/mo: 250 minutes/1.5 GB) until I hear more about coverage and user experiences. It also sucks that they (still) give better packages to iPhone users. :angry:

Based on the public statements, and True's recent analyst briefing, I am fairly certain this is incorrect. Existing Truemove post-paid customers will be encouraged to transition to Truemove H, keeping the same number but perhaps moving to a different plan/promotion? There have been scant details re: existing Truemove pre-paid customers but I expect the same transition will be encouraged/supported.

Loma, as I previously posted, that info came direct from one of the True Move supervisors at their Digital Gateway shop... I went over all that with him in detail in English, and there was no misunderstanding about what he said, fully understanding that I already had a True Move postpaid plan... Now, he may have been totally wrong... but I haven't seen anything official to contradict him as yet.

To my amazement, and I had him repeat it a second time to be sure, he said I'd need to have a new paper application with copies of my passport and get a new SIM with a new number -- despite the fact that I'm a longtime existing True Move customer. As he put it, True Move H is a separate company/operation, so everything is done separately, including their billing.

I have no doubt True Move wants to transition their existing customers to True Move H... But what will be required to make that happen is the question I sought to have answered.

If anyone else has had a similar conversation/questions with True and gotten different answers, please do post the info here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I suspect the supervisor misunderstood your question, asking twice probably doubled the confusion, or is not familiar with the transition plans. Every public statement Suphachai Chearavanont has made, including at last week's launch, has mentioned that existing customers will be able to retain their existing numbers.

Further, the stated goal is to transition 100% of the existing post-paid 3G customers (~ 200,000, maybe 400,000 with pre-paid) to Truemove H. Obviously forcing these high-yield customers to change their numbers would not be a path to success. ;)

As far as the logistics? Yes, you will have to sign a new contract (obviously), and support that with whatever documentation is required for foreigners. But you will keep the SIM/number.

Pre-paid customers appear to be SoL. They need a new BSS/OSS (billing system) which may delay pre-paid customer sign-up into Q12012.

Truemove H is not a separate company but rather a brand name for products/services offered by Real Move, a subsidiary of True Corp.

Edited by lomatopo

I suspect the supervisor misunderstood your question, asking twice probably doubled the confusion, or is not familiar with the transition plans. Every public statement Suphachai Chearavanont has made, including at last week's launch, has mentioned that existing customers will be able to retain their existing numbers.

Truemove H is not a separate company but rather a brand name for products/services offered by Real Move, a subsidiary of True Corp.

No...he didn't misunderstand... he clearly understood, and was somewhat apologetic for what he was saying...in very good English, BTW... Since I was the one there having the conversation and have some substantial experience in communications issues, I feel pretty safe in saying that.

But, as I said above, he may simply have had the wrong facts... So let's find out for certain... It was too late tonight for phone contact, so I sent an email to TrueMove support asking the pertinent questions raised above... Assuming they respond to my email, I'll post the response here.... Or if I don't get any email response, I'll call them during business hours tomorrow...

It's interesting to me that throughout these threads, no one else seems to have posted any info on actual direct contact with TrueMove about changing over either prepaid or postpaid plans.... Kinda makes me wonder what's going on out there...

As to the corporate stuff...what he was saying was that Real Move will operate as a separate company from True Move, both under the umbrella of True Corp.

I have TrueVisions, TrueMove and True Online services... They're all part of the True Corp... But I get separate bills from each, call different support for each, and when I want to sign up for new services, I have to do that separately for each...

The fact that I'm an existing TrueVisions customer doesn't erase any of the process requirements when I go to sign up for True Online, etc etc.... From the customer's perspective, they pretty much operate separately under the larger umbrella of True Corp., apart from some cross-promotion activities and bundling.

It appears Real Move will be just another example of that. Hence, signed copies of your passport pages please.... even though they already have 3 sets from me.

True H seems to offer similar packages for iPhone users. If this is a Cat service, it should use Cat International gateway for international connections, unlike True IIG used in True Move 3G.

True and CAT have a complex, and maybe not so transparent, relationship. It appears that CAT is offering a total network solution including all IP routing, but who knows. Is there any way to verify which NIX - IIG is utilized? Can you figure this out with a tracert?

It seems crazy to have this confusing brand division: Truemove for this, Truemove H for that. But based on all the complexities of the concessions and other factors, and CP's power, any brand management is really just lipstick on the pig.

post-9615-0-46977000-1315270098_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

The Truemove H website has a lot more details.

http://www.truemove-h.com/default.aspx

For now they seem to be focusing on new post-paid customers and transitioning CAT-CDMA customers. They say they have 100,000 customers already (a mix of H and CDMA presumably). They say they're targeting 1 million customers by the end of this year. That seems overly optimistic, even if all existing Truemove 3G customers (post-paid and pre-paid) all flipped to H.

Presumably they'll have a transition plan for existing Truemove 3G post-paid customers soon.

Pre-paid 3G customers may have to wait until Q1 2102 as this requires a new billing system. I guess existing Truemove pre-paid 3G will continue on Truemove until they can migrate? No EOL published as of today.

They had a public launch last week. http://www2.truecorp.co.th/en/pc_press_detail.aspx?id=1452

Coverage seems impressive, 3,000 base stations in 16 provinces. http://www.truemove-h.com/3gwifi_network_coverage.aspx

True's 2G network build-out, in the northeast and elsewhere, is also impressive and should be considered an improvement. Seamless 2G roaming when outside 3G coverage is a requirement.

The Wifi hotspots are also a great addition to any plan. I've had a fair/poor experience with True WiFi and prefer the 3G.

The packages are slightly more expensive or de-featured from current Truemove packages.

Example: iPhone Free Size, price remains 599 baht/month, as do minutes (300) but with Truemove H no SMS (300 om TM), no MMS (50 on TM) and 2 GB fair use (3 GB on TM, originally no fair use cap).

http://www.truemove-h.com/3gwifi_network_coverage.aspx

http://www.truemove-h.com/freetosurf-talk.aspx

http://www.truemove-h.com/iphone.aspx#promotion-package

Sorry, this should read

Existing Truemove post-paid 3G customers will be encouraged to transition to Truemove H, keeping the same number but perhaps moving to a different plan/promotion?

I left out the 3G part, assuming it was universally understood/implied that all 3G customers would eventually be serviced by Truemove H.

Edited by lomatopo

I had a chat with them when they launched the service at Siam Paragon. (I can speak Thai, almost 100%)

Yes, everyone who wishes to migrate to the True Move H in this year will need to get a new number or port their number to the new provider (True Move H) and all this hassle is due to the revenue sharing scheme that True is having under its current system, where it has to give back certain amount of profits to the concession (CAT Telecom). True cannot just transfer everyone to the new network because doing so would be troublesome with the authority, even though they are publicly encouraging everyone to be on board.

True has a completely different deal with CAT this time, it's no longer a concession but rather a joint venture.

Hope this answers the question why you will need a new number. Those who do not have to get a new number and are automatically migrated by True to the new True Move H network is those who used Hutch prior to dissolution of the company.

True Move and True Move H are separate entities. Not the same network or the same company. They just happen to market their products together. Just think of it as Air Asia and Thai Air Asia.

Edited by infernalman7

I believe Infernalman's answer above is pretty much accurate... And... fortunately or unfortunately :blink:, I just finished a long and tortured online chat with True Care on this very subject, as a follow-up to Loma and my exchange last night...

I'll recap the essentials in my words, and then post the clips of the chat so folks can see the answers direct.

For existing True Move postpaid customers who want to sign up for True Move H postpaid service, as I said before, they will need to go to a True shop and do the entire new account opening process from scratch...That means passport face page copies and provide either a work permit or retirement visa (or something similar). The agent I spoke with specifically confirmed that a retirement visa would suffice.

The agent I spoke with said True Move H right now has no PRE PAID offering available, and the agent couldn't say when it would be available...though obviously he/she said it's coming sometime.

The one change from my prior posting and conversation at the True Move Dig Gateway shop was this. Today, the agent said that current True Move customers would need to go and apply for/create the new True Move H account, and THEN could submit the number portability request application to port their existing True Move number over to their new True Move H account.

(I should add, the number of True Move shops where one could apply for True Move H service is larger, I believe, than the smaller number of shops that will handle number portability requests... So anyone trying this should make sure they go to a shop that will handle number portability.)

Interestingly, my conversation with the True Move shop at Dig Gateway was a couple weeks ago, before the official launch, where the agent said I'd have to take a new number and SIM, period... But today, online, the agent said True Move had made available number portability for True Move H as of AUG 30, just one week ago. So perhaps that explains the different answers, before and now.

Either way, for existing True Move postpaid customers such as myself, it's hardly what I'd call a seamless transition... I do understand about the different legal/concession structures involved, so I'm not exactly surprised... But the hassle factor is enough, along with some other considerations, to make me not that interested to pursue it, at least for the time being.

post-58284-0-28880400-1315284256_thumb.j

BTW Loma, note the first words out of the agent's mouth... "True Move H is another company." That may not reflect all the corporate connections, but it certainly does appear to reflect how they're treating the new True Move H entity.

post-58284-0-04893100-1315284257_thumb.j

post-58284-0-84817600-1315284257_thumb.j

post-58284-0-55312600-1315284258_thumb.j

post-58284-0-31559400-1315284259_thumb.j

post-58284-0-01576600-1315284260_thumb.j

post-58284-0-88790300-1315284260_thumb.j

It was painfully obvious to anyone that Truemove H would not tell their best customers that they cannot keep their existing Truemove number.

- this would cause a significant portion of your best customers to defect to another provider given that we have MNP.

- we have MNP, and Truemove H allows porting in. http://www.truemove-h.com/mnp_whatis.aspx

I believe that Truemove H will be able to combine the new contract and porting request in one seamless interaction.

I suspected the supervisor was misinformed when he said you'd have to get a new number.

Edited by lomatopo

I think I already addressed the Number portability issue above... since my conversation at Dig Gateway was before the Aug. 30 date that the agent today said they began number portability for True Move H.... The agent at Dig Gateway was probably correct in what he said... at that earlier point in time.

However, if True Move really wanted to make things easy for their "best" customers re all this, they wouldn't be requiring everyone to schlep down to the True Move shops and repeat all the same paperwork/passport/work permit junk as is common for new accounts... That's a far cry from seamless....

That's a far cry from seamless....

Agreed, but maybe best to wait and see how painful/painless the transition actually is?

All I was stating was what the President of True has said over and over in public disclosures that "existing Truemove customers will be able to retain their number".

At least we've established that everyone who moves from Truemove (post-paid/3G) will not be required to get a new number. :)

Well, actually, not to pick nits... but I'm presuming when people sign up for a new True Move H account from scratch (even as existing True Move customers) they will in fact get a new SIM and new number assigned... And then.... maybe even the same day...hopefully, can submit the number portability application...which if I recall, is supposed to take a few days to process and complete. So in the end, yes, they'll hopefully end up with their original number.

Maybe some existing True Move customers here who actually try to go thru True's process on this can confirm on that detail...

But right now, it sounds like that won't be either you or me, Loma, since it seems neither of us plan to apply for True Move H at present.

Well, actually, not to pick nits... but I'm presuming when people sign up for a new True Move H account from scratch (even as existing True Move customers) they will in fact get a new SIM and new number assigned... And then.... maybe even the same day...hopefully, can submit the number portability application...which if I recall, is supposed to take a few days to process and complete. So in the end, yes, they'll hopefully end up with their original number.

Maybe some existing True Move customers here who actually try to go thru True's process on this can confirm on that detail...

But right now, it sounds like that won't be either you or me, Loma, since it seems neither of us plan to apply for True Move H at present.

I believe you are over-thinking the process and imagining how complicated it would be?

New customers, those without an existing Truemove post-paid 3G contract would sign a contract, and get a new SIM. If they have an existing number, pre-paid or post-paid, from any service provider, they could port that number. Existing Truemove post-paid 3G customers would go through the same process, including perhaps getting a new SIM, and port their existing number. All the MNP experiences I've read about, and heard first-hand, have been extremely positive. I believe the process may be easier, and closer to seamless than you are imagining. Could I be wrong? Yes, I often am.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a True post-paid 3G plan after evaluating the service on a pre-paid basis for, I'm embarrassed to say, ~ 8 months. ( I fooled around with TOT 3G-iMobile 3GX, and am now seeing DTAC 3G on the side.) I like the looks of the Truemove H, but want to wait to hear more about coverage, performance, voice/SMS, 2G. If I do go to Truemove H I might port in one of my current SIMs (AIS/One-2-Call, DTAC/Happy, Truemove). I have an 850 Mhz smartphone so am limited to True and DTAC.

DTAC is historically the better performing of the two, but it's not clear they will be allowed to build out their 3G network. So that leaves Truemove H.

Again, I'm glad we were able to dispel the rumors that you'd have to get a new number if you moved from Truemove to Truemove H. Cheers for getting to the bottom of that.

BTW, here's the English version of TrueMove's mobile number portability page (not the True Move H page)... and the list of True shops where said application can be made. The page says it takes up to 3 business days, your IDs, and no outstanding balance on your prior account. It also talks about paying a 99 baht fee for the privilege of doing so.

http://www.truemove.com/mnp/en/know_mnp.html