Visa Run Crash

I don't wish to offend anybody on here and of course everybody is entitled to their opinion, but at the end of the day I don't see why anybody has to justify themselves to anonymous users of this forum. For all those that want to know what happened and what the situation is with the insurance, why don't you just phone Julie or go and meet with her and see the documents and pictures for yourself.

In the mean time here is the latest update on Ryan from the Facebook page

Ryans surgeon has informed us that we can start to arrange repatriation, to get him home, so we need you all out there to continue all you good work supporting Ryan, donating and funding to make this happen sooner rather than later, the quicker we get that amount up the quicker he comes home to the UK.

www.supportryanmarven.piczo.com please keep donations coming.. We need your help more than ever.. the final bill could reach £150.000, we have along way to go... xxxxx

SUPPORTRYANMARVE

thanks for the link

interesting part to the page

He was using a minibus company and on the way back from the Malaysian border, the driver lost control going to fast round a bend.

so no mention of a truck hitting the van, but a simple case of a in experiance driver going to fast and losing control

i hope Ryan gets well soon

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t wish to offend anybody on here and of course everybody is entitled to

their opinion, but at the end of the day I don’t see why anybody has to justify

themselves to anonymous users of this forum. For all those that want to know

what happened and what the situation is with the insurance, why don’t you just

phone Julie or go and meet with her and see the documents and pictures for

yourself

I suppose this is precisely why people need to be informed. With all due respect all the anonymous readers on this forum as you mention , are also locals who do use these services.SecondlyIf anyone needs to know what happened with insurance you say ring Julie?

As of Julie's previous post in her own words mind you in defence of another Visa run company which had an accident. wise words at the time & the whole post might have been just a propaganda stunt for her.

Posted 2008-04-09 12:29:48

With nothing to hide I can post in my name, correct? Julie

Is there any good news? Gossip makes bad news,

didn't get that back home, think not. We need facts. As an ex special constable

I have witnessed many misfortunes back home but have to determine liability -

proof - truth - fact.

Now if she took the time & trouble to defend someone else why can''t they just tell the truth? These are her own words up there. so if you are protecting her, good on you. but who is protecting her customers?

Obviously there wasn't sufficient cover if you still have to ask for donations. I pity Ryan & I hope he gets better.

Edited by Pia

I don't wish to offend anybody on here and of course everybody is entitled to

their opinion, but at the end of the day I don't see why anybody has to justify

what happened and what the situation is with the insurance, why don't you just

yourself

I suppose this is precisely why people need to be informed. With all due respect all the anonymous readers on this forum as you mention , are also locals who do use these services.SecondlyIf anyone needs to know what happened with insurance you say ring Julie?

As of Julie's previous post in her own words mind you in defence of another Visa run company which had an accident. wise words at the time & the whole post might have been just a propaganda stunt for her.

proof - truth - fact.

Now if she took the time & trouble to defend someone else why can''t they just tell the truth? These are her own words up there. so if you are protecting her, good on you. but who is protecting her customers?

Obviously there wasn't sufficient cover if you still have to ask for donations. I pity Ryan & I hope he gets better.

All I am saying is that nobody is obliged to post on here - this is a community that we all share and i feel sorry that we have to have this debate on here, Julie is more than happy to explain to anybody that takes the trouble to call her or go and see her, I can understand that people want to know what happened, especially if they use her service, but do we need to speculate on a public website, I don't understand why weeks have gone by and this is still raging on on here, I never had to ask on here because I simply asked Julie herself. This was a tragic accident, Ryan is still in a bad way and everybody involved will have to live with this for a long time and nobody meant for it to happen. I lost my brother to an accident last year, the driver was drunk in an overloaded van going at about 140 kilometers and hour, at no point did I feel the need to spend weeks debating on here how the accident could have been avoided, or why the insurance never paid out and I lost the closest person to me in my world. Julie is not hiding, she is on the island, she is more than happy to tell everybody what happened and has documents and pictures to back it up. Julie is as devastated as everybody else that this happened and I wish we could be considerate enough of her, as a member of our community, to speak to her and not debate endlessly on here which is not helping anybody least of all Ryan. Come on guys, when things go wrong our people need support. Julie is not a bad person and she was insured. Nobody could have predicted the amount of medical insurance Ryan would need for an injury of this degree and we should all focus our energy into helping him, Julie has the facts so just talk to her in person.

Edited by monkeysu

I don't wish to offend anybody on here and of course everybody is entitled to their opinion, but at the end of the day I don't see why anybody has to justify themselves to anonymous users of this forum. For all those that want to know what happened and what the situation is with the insurance, why don't you just phone Julie or go and meet with her and see the documents and pictures for yourself.

In the mean time here is the latest update on Ryan from the Facebook page

Ryans surgeon has informed us that we can start to arrange repatriation, to get him home, so we need you all out there to continue all you good work supporting Ryan, donating and funding to make this happen sooner rather than later, the quicker we get that amount up the quicker he comes home to the UK.

www.supportryanmarven.piczo.com please keep donations coming.. We need your help more than ever.. the final bill could reach £150.000, we have along way to go... xxxxx

SUPPORTRYANMARVE

thanks for the link

interesting part to the page

He was using a minibus company and on the way back from the Malaysian border, the driver lost control going to fast round a bend.

so no mention of a truck hitting the van, but a simple case of a in experiance driver going to fast and losing control

i hope Ryan gets well soon

Ryan's family were not on the bus, Ryan clearly is unable to tell them what happened so this to just to the best of their knowledge. As I have said, Julie has photos of the bus so if you want to know exactly what happened then please go and see her and the pictures.

Lack of facts & truth are creating the debate. The fact that donations are required to help poor Ryan are raising certain issues.

Unfortunatly which ever way you look at it, Julie is providing a sevice, she harnesses the community resources ( customers ) & derives an income from the service she provides.

This could have all been settled with a simple statement , being in the right or wrong, this whole issue would have settled down.

Nothing wrong with people wanting to know the truth, and as a SERVICE provider to maintain ones integrity , reputation & obligation to your customers at large, the first thing to do is to be forthcoming with the facts.

Remember I did quote her own words in a previous post, just in case you missed them , here they are again:

proof - truth - fact.

I don't wish to offend anybody on here and of course everybody is entitled to

their opinion, but at the end of the day I don't see why anybody has to justify

what happened and what the situation is with the insurance, why don't you just

yourself

proof - truth - fact.

All I am saying is that nobody is obliged to post on here - this is a community that we all share and i feel sorry that we have to have this debate on here, Julie is more than happy to explain to anybody that takes the trouble to call her or go and see her, I can understand that people want to know what happened, especially if they use her service, but do we need to speculate on a public website, I don't understand why weeks have gone by and this is still raging on on here, I never had to ask on here because I simply asked Julie herself. This was a tragic accident, Ryan is still in a bad way and everybody involved will have to live with this for a long time and nobody meant for it to happen. I lost my brother to an accident last year, the driver was drunk in an overloaded van going at about 140 kilometers and hour, at no point did I feel the need to spend weeks debating on here how the accident could have been avoided, or why the insurance never paid out and I lost the closest person to me in my world. Julie is not hiding, she is on the island, she is more than happy to tell everybody what happened and has documents and pictures to back it up. Julie is as devastated as everybody else that this happened and I wish we could be considerate enough of her, as a member of our community, to speak to her and not debate endlessly on here which is not helping anybody least of all Ryan. Come on guys, when things go wrong our people need support. Julie is not a bad person and she was insured. Nobody could have predicted the amount of medical insurance Ryan would need for an injury of this degree and we should all focus our energy into helping him, Julie has the facts so just talk to her in person.

I couldn't agree more with you, MonkeySu...

....and to the mods, maybe it is time to consider closing this thread and someone can reopen one related to the status of the passengers and NOTHING more. Unlike this island, this thread doesn't seem to have many viewpoints anymore.

Lack of facts & truth are creating the debate. The fact that donations are required to help poor Ryan are raising certain issues.

Unfortunatly which ever way you look at it, Julie is providing a sevice, she harnesses the community resources ( customers ) & derives an income from the service she provides.

This could have all been settled with a simple statement , being in the right or wrong, this whole issue would have settled down.

Nothing wrong with people wanting to know the truth, and as a SERVICE provider to maintain ones integrity , reputation & obligation to your customers at large, the first thing to do is to be forthcoming with the facts.

Remember I did quote her own words in a previous post, just in case you missed them , here they are again:

proof - truth - fact.

But my point is, if you want to use her service and want to know the facts, ask her rather than continually speculate on here, if you dont want to use her service again then dont its simple. The facts are on the end of a simple phone call to Julie, finding her guilty by Thai Visa is not helping anybody especially when nobody has the facts other than her. To be quite honest if she did post on here, from what I have read so far, she would be shot down in flames anyway, as most of this entire thread seems to want to put her in the wrong regardless. For those who feel that the big issue is now Ryan needing funds start a thread to help make that happen for those that just want to know the truth give her a ring. Over and out from me on this one

Yet another one post wonder....blink.gif

Gold!

You could create a sense of anything you want on Samui with a few words from one person or another but facts are generally easy to ascertain as well.

As Hackett has said there was no other vehicle involved in the crash. The insurance payout for Ryan is inadequate to cover the bill, if indeed there was a payout at all. The total fund is running at just over £9000.

It can't be doing anyone any favours having uncertainty over what has happened here. For both the sake of the Visa Run company and the fund trying to repatriate Ryan those willing to "discuss on the telephone" should post something here in order that people are more aware of what has in fact happened and better informed of how they can help.

In the case of the visa company who clearly are aware of the ongoing discussion here and have chosen to remain silent I think that is a poor position for them to have taken. Everyone knows this was an accident...to have given accurate info from the start would have at least left residents with some trust in their company, which many will now be questioning.

I couldn't agree more with you, MonkeySu...

....and to the mods, maybe it is time to consider closing this thread and someone can reopen one related to the status of the passengers and NOTHING more. Unlike this island, this thread doesn't seem to have many viewpoints anymore.

Thank you for your advice. When the time comes to close a topic, it is up to the moderators / administration to make that decision. We do listen to our active members & do take their advice into consideration.

This is a free discussion forum.As long as it stays within the boundaries & guidelines, it stays open.

Thank you.

The facts are on the end of a simple phone call to Julie, finding her guilty by Thai Visa is not helping anybody

I am guessing that more than 30 people have posted on this thread.

More than 15,000 people have read this thread.

A lot of us living here are concerned about the poor guy in a coma.

A number of us living here have been asked for money (and donated) to try and help him.

Thousands of people living/staying on the island use transport companies for visa runs and have an interest in this thread.

Would it not be easier for the person who provides the service to give out some form of a statement rather than expecting all of us to make "a simple phone call"?

No one is "finding Julie guilty by Thai Visa". Many of us have concerns over these events. My concern is that it might happen again.

A simple statement might allay some of those concerns. Obviously, the old "I refuse to answer on the grounds" etc etc are OK, but some people will jump to conclusions.

This is not trial by Thai visa this is information from Thai visa put together by consirned people looking for facts.

Let me put it this way i would be happy to donate to this unfortuate person who is in a coma pending a statement from Julie herslelf stating that her insurence is not covering the persons inhuries apart form the first 18 k or something.

If Julie is in the wrong then it would be nice if she was to admitt that she was wrong and do something about it. Like help with fund raising for this chap.

Then show everyone proof that from now on people are inssured.

If they are not inssured then they should be made aware upon booking the tikct that in event of a crash Julie's visa run coveres people for 18 ,000 baht.

At least make the customer make the choice for themselves.

What is done it done. it looks like case is closed as to criminal proceedings. So i am sure being an ex copper she can word it right. along the lines that

" from now on our customers have to read and sign our inssurence policy. We are also raising money to help this man in a coma."

It would be a nice jesture if she would publicly show everyone that she is doing her best to fix the problem.

I am sure that she can word her statement to make sure that nothing comes back on herself.

Personally if i was to open a visa run business. if i was only going to inssure people for 18 k then i would let people know and sign to say that they know. then the rst is down to the customer.

i would probably give them the option to pay more for better inssurence.

then it costs the company nothing as the customer pays direct.

i suppose that would be just to easy for some people.

Where's that number come from? Sounds quite high.

Let me put it this way i would be happy to donate to this unfortuate person who is in a coma pending a statement from Julie herslelf stating that her insurence is not covering the persons inhuries apart form the first 18 k or something.

I don't think they would ask for donations if everything were covered by insurance.

Edited by koheesti

The thread has over 15,000 views. The counter clicks every time someone visits? - even to check what they have just posted? So it could be 1,000 people visiting 15 times, 100 people 150 times, etc etc. I have followed this thread closely, so I am sure I have contributed at least a hundred views.:unsure:

The thread has over 15,000 views. The counter clicks every time someone visits? - even to check what they have just posted? So it could be 1,000 people visiting 15 times, 100 people 150 times, etc etc. I have followed this thread closely, so I am sure I have contributed at least a hundred views.:unsure:

I stand corrected again - thank you.:)

I have just spoken to Julie. I am entirely happy with her explanation of events and am also aware of how desperately upset she is about injuries to people. I am sure everyone understands how lethal these roads are at any time of the day and would strongly advise anyone to call Julie to listen to the explanation i have been given. She is happy to show anyone the photos and insurance documents and i feel since she is open to speaking it would be far better to speak to her than continue posting on here,

Nothing else needs to be said other than to speak to her.

I have just spoken to Julie. I am entirely happy with her explanation of events and am also aware of how desperately upset she is about injuries to people. I am sure everyone understands how lethal these roads are at any time of the day and would strongly advise anyone to call Julie to listen to the explanation i have been given. She is happy to show anyone the photos and insurance documents and i feel since she is open to speaking it would be far better to speak to her than continue posting on here,

Photos of what??

Was there a lorry as was quoted by her in the news paper??

Is the explanation the same as the news paper??

Questions questions

I'm sure she is a busy lady so to save everyone phoning i give you the floor to reply ...................................

This topic should be closed as it serves no purpose, many of the posts border on slanderous speculation which is totally against forum rules.

Not really up to individuals to pick & choose which topics suits them. Thaivisa is very aware of the conversation taking place & from the moderation side it does comply to forum rules, which we as Mods are very well aware of.

There has been no slanderous remarks being made.Members are concerned about certain aspects, if no answer is forthcoming, well it will lend itself to more discussion.

Discussion so far has been very civil & within guidlines, lets keep it this way.

Thank you.

Rooo on behalf of the moderating team.

:blink: 'Slanderous - communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government, or nation a negative image'

One example of many:

Posted 2011-09-07 01:01:44

"no lorry hit them from behinde they skidded off the road. it isonebig cover up" :angry:

It appears that it's okay on the Thai Visa Forum for a 'free for all' on a Farang/Farang business but the same does not apply to Thais/Thai businesses

Wishing Ryan a full recovery

Edited by TheLobster

This topic should be closed as it serves no purpose, many of the posts border on slanderous speculation which is totally against forum rules.

Not really up to individuals to pick & choose which topics suits them. Thaivisa is very aware of the conversation taking place & from the moderation side it does comply to forum rules, which we as Mods are very well aware of.

There has been no slanderous remarks being made.Members are concerned about certain aspects, if no answer is forthcoming, well it will lend itself to more discussion.

Discussion so far has been very civil & within guidlines, lets keep it this way.

Thank you.

Rooo on behalf of the moderating team.

:blink: 'Slanderous - communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government, or nation a negative image'

One example of many:

Posted 2011-09-07 01:01:44

"no lorry hit them from behinde they skidded off the road. it isonebig cover up" :angry:

It appears that it's okay on the Thai Visa Forum for a 'free for all' on a Farang/Farang business but the same does not apply to Thais/Thai businesses

Wishing Ryan a full recovery

no i am confussed. I don't think i shall use her service anyway unless they have something to offer that is more specail than other companies like huge seats nice food , inssurence.

"'free for all' on a Farang/Farang business but the same does not apply to Thais/Thai businesses "

You have to rememeber why people chose a forang business in the first place over a Thai business. They think they can trust someone more from their own back ground. Out here though it is each person for themselves when truth be told

• 2 weeks later...

Huge bill to fly coma man home

THE mother of a man in a coma in Thailand is facing a £30,000 bill to fly him home.

Ryan Marven, 30, was travelling on a mini bus in Koh Samui when the driver lost control and it overturned.

more here - http://www.thurrockg..._coma_man_home/

Edited by Rooo
Quote trimmed to comply with Fair use.

i disagree with you carmine, maybe you know her personally ,i dont know.

But what i read in an earlier post ,was Do not ring julie as she is very busy, So i waited for her response, and you know what i never got one. still waiting.

I also know she was running her visa run trips a couple of days later,

Is there adaquate insurance now, or if we travel do we have to sign a waiver for insurance, an update is welcome.

I am lucky i didnt know anyone on that fateful trip, but i have traveled with her a couple of times,

it would be nice to know if she has learnt from her poor management

So i waited for her response, and you know what i never got one. still waiting.

One post here and she owes YOU a response.. A bit conceited don't you think?

Sh1t happens in Thailand. It has happened to me. As as one learned person in this thread stated "you shovel it up and carry on".

..and no i don't feel obliged to tell you what is was.

In some way I feel sorry for Julie. Running a business here as she needs an income, sh1t happens, and all she gets is a haranguing from people who weren't even involved. Even someone wondering why the FCO doesn't do something, as if it is their job to baby sit all stupid Brits. I am sure they are rendering as much assistance as they are mandated to do. I have experience of that as well.

I have some empathy for the guy in a coma but in a non religious sense it is a miracle we are here in the first place whether we want to be or not and an even bigger miracle we live an uneventful life and die in our sleep. Regardless of who is supposed to do what with or for whom.

If you are claiming something as a fact then please provide some proof. The amount of posts you have on a forum doesn't make you a reliable source of accurate information.

Who provided you with this information? Were they there? Have they made a report to the police? Has the visa run company been charged or acknowledged these "facts" to the police?

there are facts from the news paper. there are people with very serious injuries in hospital. this is not just a blow for Julie's business but a blow for all visa run companies.

many years ago there were no regulations but now things are improving slightly.

there are allot of visa run companies on the island and any form of transport containes some risk. That is what inssurence is for.

basically there any many other way to transport where people are covered.

i would hope that if i was to die ina bus or plane or any crash that my family would get something due to companies bad form.

my biggest worry is not me but if i have a broken back or i am dead then who is going to pay for my wife and kids. At least if the company is proper then there is a chance i can recover and get back to work. unless i am dead.

I think that this story is very important and people are not bad mouthing a company for no reason. this is very serious because most of us are all forangs and we all need to do visa runs.

So we should not be deleted for asking deep questions or saying what we beleive to be true bassed on the fact that have been printed in the paper and from people that have had contact with the victims.

there are a few main questions that most people keep asking ?

1st inssurence at time of crash

2nd if not have they at least learnt from their mistake and now operating with inssurence or is it a catch 22 where no one will inssure them or now the inssurence is so high that they cannot make a living.

either way. Unless people ask Julie before they book their next trip with her and get confirmation. then i would have to say that there own ignorance might cause them to be a victim.

If you have spent much time on Samui you know the reports on the local newspapers about deaths and accidents have rarely had accuracy as their selling point.

There is NO SUCH THING as a PAPER OF REFERENCE on Koh Samui. So we just can't base public accusations on their reporting. Not in good conscious.

Edited by animatic

The facts are on the end of a simple phone call to Julie, finding her guilty by Thai Visa is not helping anybody

A number of us living here have been asked for money (and donated) to try and help him.

Thousands of people living/staying on the island use transport companies for visa runs and have an interest in this thread.

Would it not be easier for the person who provides the service to give out some form of a statement rather than expecting all of us to make "a simple phone call"?

No one is "finding Julie guilty by Thai Visa". Many of us have concerns over these events. My concern is that it might happen again.

A simple statement might allay some of those concerns. Obviously, the old "I refuse to answer on the grounds" etc etc are OK, but some people will jump to conclusions.

I think considering the probability of litigation from this she has been advised by council to say nothing. Even as it may or may not be settle.

The poor guy in a coma was insured, apparently she was insured to some level, but he is needing more care than 'all of the above can provide', so litigation seems or seemed likely. So it is easy to see why she isn't responding here. She would be foolish to do so. Though I suspect she would like to.

Edited by animatic

Sh1t happens in Thailand. It has happened to me. As as one learned person in this thread stated "you shovel it up and carry on".

Sh1t happens in Thailand is right. One aspect that many people love about Thailand is that it is more free of regulations and laws that they get burdened with back home. It's part of the charm. Then when something tragic like this happens, all of a sudden there is a clamor for everything being done just like back home. You can't have it both ways. You can't pick and choose what and when you want it to be like home. If you need to do a visa run and want it to be more "like home", fly out to Singapore or Hong Kong for a weekend trip instead of taking a bus ride on wild Thai roads through South Thailand to a border crossing in the jungle. I did it once with Julie back in 2007 just to do it one time. Nothing of note really happend other than some monkeys on the road. After that, I flew someplace for my visa runs. A lot more interesting that way anyway.

Sh1t happens in Thailand is right. One aspect that many people love about Thailand is that it is more free of regulations and laws that they get burdened with back home. It's part of the charm. Then when something tragic like this happens, all of a sudden there is a clamor for everything being done just like back home. You can't have it both ways. You can't pick and choose what and when you want it to be like home. If you need to do a visa run and want it to be more "like home", fly out to Singapore or Hong Kong for a weekend trip instead of taking a bus ride on wild Thai roads through South Thailand to a border crossing in the jungle. I did it once with Julie back in 2007 just to do it one time. Nothing of note really happend other than some monkeys on the road. After that, I flew someplace for my visa runs. A lot more interesting that way anyway.

Yes, I often us it as an excuse to see the region.

Last time took the bike and went to the Andaman Club.

I think considering the probability of litigation from this she has been advised by council to say nothing. Even as it may or may not be settle.

The poor guy in a coma was insured, apparently she was insured to some level, but he is needing more care than 'all of the above can provide', so litigation seems or seemed likely. So it is easy to see why she isn't responding here. She would be foolish to do so. Though I suspect she would like to.

i am sure that someone could speak on her behalf in a way that would not compplamise her legal status. i hope she gets thrwon in jail with all the other people that he has put in their oveer the years then she shall realise that even ex police make mistakes and we all have to pay for them.