Backpackers: How Much Money (In Usd, Excluding Flight Tickets) Do You Spend For A Week'S Trip?

peppersasen

Hi, I'm a girl who's planning a trip to Bangkok and South Thailand next year. I'm going with a couple of friends. One of them has never been abroad before (although she understands that Thailand is on the cheaper side).

She wants to keep things within her budget (while the rest of us have decided to save up on same "emergency funds") but at the same time, I don't think we'll manage on her budget as she's accustomed to more comfortable living (she DOESN'T demand luxury, but let's just say she's a LITTLE high maintenance).

Suppose she's willing to spend around USD300-350 (excluding our flight tickets) for 3 days in Bangkok and it's surroundings + 4 days in South Thailand, would she be comfortable enough? And can she afford the night train to Southern Thailand?

Also, she wants to do a lot of shopping in Bangkok (clothes, bags, shoes, accessories--she's a fashionista). I'm really concerned about her being upset during the trip. I've backpacked to some European countries before (I know what budget traveling entails) while she's never been abroad. I worry about her: I mean she barely DRIVES back home: either she takes a cab, one of her friends is driving (me), or a family member is driving her. I think she's okay with a 3-4 Star hotel (but I don't know if she'll be able to handle a backpacker's hostel).

I've budgeted for an extra USD 500 (USD 800-850 total) for that week and I feel like I'm already really pushing to the minimum (and I don't intend on shopping much because I want to minimize baggage size/weight). Do you think we'll be fine? Or do you think she won't be able to survive with that amount (considering how she's accustomed to being comfortable and she wants to shop in Bangkok)?

Edited by peppersasen

Let me get this right, your "high-maintenance" friend wants to fly half-way around the world and live on 50 dollars a day, $350 for a week? :blink:

As a rough guide that is about 10,500 baht or 1,500 a day. Three meals on the street plus drinks from 7-11 would cost you about 500+ baht a day. Plus accommodation. Not much wriggle-room for any fun (which is the point of travelling, no?) Certainly no-room for shopping, massages and spas etc

Also, the train from Bkk to Surat Thani is anywhere between 400 and 1200 baht.

So doable but only just. Even your $850 is cutting it a bit fine.

I suggest you both double your budgets ;)

RAZZ

EDIT - Although it's "fun" to slum it when you are young...it's also nice to treat yourself to a few luxuries. Bkk and Thailand is one of the cheapest places in the world to stay in a luxury hotel...have a look at the Centara at Central World or Lebua at around $120 a night.

Edited by RAZZELL

Woah. Thanks, Razz. BTH 1500 on food alone is about 50 bucks a day, right? And 400-1200 is about 13-40 bucks?

I have a feeling my more high-maintenance friend will want an air-conditioned trip.

I personally want to go clubbing and lay around at the beach all day (and FLIRT!). And walk around aimlessly and see stuff. Might get an extra bikini/shorts/tank-tops if I can't manage to wash my clothes (buy my mother something small). Other than that, I think my major expenses will be accommodation and food (and I want to eat EVERYTHING because I like trying things out laugh.gif).

My other friend (who's also got USD850 a week) is also excited about Siam Square and the markets, but she doesn't shop that much. I just can NOT see how my more fashion-conscious friend (the one with a USD350 budget) can survive with all the shopping she's planning on (not to mention the extra baggage she'll be paying for).

10,500 baht for a week in Bangkok and further south including accommodation?

No way. They don't come much cheaper than Me and even I would not attempt to do that.

uuuugh. Thank you. I'll just have to find a way to talk to her about it. i don't want her to think i'm being insensitive (or WORST like i'm imposing as if I'M being high-maintenance--i'm just really worried). when i told her i was "sticking to her budget but adding an extra 500 for emergencies", she kind of panicked/freaked out (because it made it look like i was going to do things outside her budget and leave her out of things). i'll just have find out how much everything REALLY costs and present her with the cold hard figures. ph34r.gif

Edited by peppersasen

Definitely possible but not gonna do much shopping on a small budget like that. She might regret it when everyone else is buying stuff at MBK or Siam Square and she can't afford to without going over.

And 3 meals from street vendors and drinks from 7-11 does not cost +500 per day. Most meals at vendors, mall food courts, and cheap Thai places are like 30-50 baht. Backpacker places are a bit more but still cheap compared to home.

Wow. Thanks. That's some pretty insightful reading ("you'll have to live like a Thai", "Thailand's no longer cheap for backpackers"). I'll really have to figure something out for my friend if we don't want to have to take part-time jobs at Soi Cowboy. ermm.gif

Ya, the work permit might be a problem. You could try one of the Russian go go's on Walking street in Pattaya. I don't think any of the ladies there have work permits.

Definitely possible but not gonna do much shopping on a small budget like that. She might regret it when everyone else is buying stuff at MBK or Siam Square and she can't afford to without going over.

And 3 meals from street vendors and drinks from 7-11 does not cost +500 per day. Most meals at vendors, mall food courts, and cheap Thai places are like 30-50 baht. Backpacker places are a bit more but still cheap compared to home.

It is a "guesstimate" :whistling:

A couple of dishes + farang surchage = around 100 baht x 3 = 300 + half a dozen drinks/coke/water/ice-tea etc per day = approximately 500 ;)

And basically for the OP, your friend has no chance of living on $50 a day and siteseeing/shopping :wai:

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

I don't think the budget should even be part of the discussion. I've done tons of cheap travel all over the world. On many of my trips I travel with friends, some of whom are experienced travelers, some not. I've found that on the rare occasions when I take someone who I would describe as "high maintenance". Thailand on a limited budget is not the place for someone like that, especially if they've never traveled abroad before.

I don't know your friend so I could be totally wrong, but is having her along worth risking your trip?

Hotel with Buffet Breakfast (most 3 star offer this)... Lunch at Cheap Thai Restaurant 60-90baht.... Dinner at Thai Market - 50-60baht or decent restaurant for 100baht (plenty of places in Phuket will do a good, large pizza for 99baht... I no 1 restaurant that has great pasta's, pizza's, ect all for 80-120... chicken, chips, gravy for 150...

It can be done.. Easily... Would I do it? - Hell no... Id save for a little longer and go with funds to actually enjoy myself..

Hotel with Buffet Breakfast (most 3 star offer this)... Lunch at Cheap Thai Restaurant 60-90baht.... Dinner at Thai Market - 50-60baht or decent restaurant for 100baht (plenty of places in Phuket will do a good, large pizza for 99baht... I no 1 restaurant that has great pasta's, pizza's, ect all for 80-120... chicken, chips, gravy for 150...

It can be done.. Easily... Would I do it? - Hell no... Id save for a little longer and go with funds to actually enjoy myself..

Nice 3* in Bkk with breakfast and money spare??? On $50 a day!!! :lol:

This place is 350-750 baht a night!

http://www.lubd.com/

http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Lub-d-Bangkok-Silom/Bangkok/24575

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

also do not forget travel insurance...

where are you going down south.... You have heard about the insurgency?

Oh i have tried doing it cheap and maybe 5 years ago you could have done it but now... not much chance....

Your budget ok...if your careful.. your friends..not a chance.

PS: Don't forget travel insurance

also do not forget travel insurance...

where are you going down south.... You have heard about the insurgency?

Oh i have tried doing it cheap and maybe 5 years ago you could have done it but now... not much chance....

Your budget ok...if your careful.. your friends..not a chance.

PS: Don't forget travel insurance

Seconded :thumbsup:

I imagine the OP want's to go to Koh Samui or Koh Phangan.

Even less chance of living on $50 when you're out on the pi$$!

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Nice 3* in Bkk with breakfast and money spare??? On $50 a day!!! :lol:

This place is 350-750 baht a night!

http://www.lubd.com/

http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Lub-d-Bangkok-Silom/Bangkok/24575

RAZZ

That place is expensive, much better deals than that to be found. 380 for a bed in a 8 bed dorm, 1100 for a room with a shared bathroom :lol:

Maybe not 3 star but you can easily find decent cheap accommodations almost anywhere in the country

It can be done, like others said 25-35 baht per meal (thai meal on the street) plus a few drinks (8 baht for water, 15 baht for a coke) you can have meals and drinks (no alcohol) for less than 300B per day. You can get a decent 3 star hotel for as low as 400-500 Baht. So 800 baht a day for meals and place to stay can be done, however If I were you I would double or triple my budget to have a wonderful experience. But it can be done on your budget. Your friend if she really is high maintenance then its going to be real hard for her. Shopping can be cheap too, women's shoes 150-200 Baht, shorts 70-150 Baht, women's shirts 150-300Baht. Just depends on how cheap you want to be.

Good luck and hope you have a wonderful trip.

It can be done, like others said 25-35 baht per meal (thai meal on the street) plus a few drinks (8 baht for water, 15 baht for a coke) you can have meals and drinks (no alcohol) for less than 300B per day. You can get a decent 3 star hotel for as low as 400-500 Baht. So 800 baht a day for meals and place to stay can be done, however If I were you I would double or triple my budget to have a wonderful experience. But it can be done on your budget. Your friend if she really is high maintenance then its going to be real hard for her. Shopping can be cheap too, women's shoes 150-200 Baht, shorts 70-150 Baht, women's shirts 150-300Baht. Just depends on how cheap you want to be.

Good luck and hope you have a wonderful trip.

Ma ma and ya dong (25 baht) and sleep with an English teacher. But I think the OP has fled.

10,500 baht for a week in Bangkok and further south including accommodation?

No way. They don't come much cheaper than Me and even I would not attempt to do that.

impossible 10.500 Baht for 1 weeks in Bangkok whit accomodation and Thailand its not cheap now and the south more expensive

• 2 months later...

My advice, don't bring a friend who demands more expensive accommodations, to shop a bunch, but isn't willing to stay at more economical spots when SHE is the one on a tight budget and I is fine with you having to suffer the financial bump. This is really going to depend on how snooty your friend is, and if she is willing to compromise, otherwise she just might affect everyones trip in a very negative way as well! These people are obviously going to the expensive tourist trap areas of Bangkok. you can rent a modest yet still totally comfortable hotel room in the kaosin road area for 10 us dollars a night (during peak season even. you really shouldn't be focusing too much of your budget on a hotel room, think about it how much time are you gonna be spending in it? You only need it to sleep and shower. Kaosin road is an awesome/hip/young area of Bangkok with tons of fun night life and also near the gorgeous historic grand palace temple. I always start there as my launching point if you will before I head south (DO NOT go to far south if it will be just a couple american girls as you might be targets near the southern border. Americans are taken for ransom or girls for things you don't want to find out about) things will cost less down south excluding Phucket. I rented a two bedroom bungalow style house with all the creature comforts that was very clean and nice on Koh Phanga n for $100 USD a month, no that is not a typo. If you are willing to just look around online, research, and not book off the first website you see you can make $850 last a month. That is hitting the bars nightly, eating from street vendors and having a rented place to stay. Hotels are your biggest money drain after airfare. Don't eat at western style restaurants. The food is shitty, expensive, and more likely to make you sick because refrigeration of the food is not common place in thailand so it may have sat out for a while. Street food is great, cheap, and you should be eating thai food anyways since you just traveled halfway across the world to (unless you are picky and a cliché american traveler) experience another culture and new ways of life. So, you and your friend should be way more than ok on that budget if she doesn't drag you all down and be super high maintenance. Inform her that people will not respect her their if she gets upset and might even laugh at her. Smiling can get really far. Be respectful and fun loving. Try to keep the expensive taste put away since you guys are in fact on a budget and not basketball players wives on a shopping trip but to see some of the most beautiful beaches in the world and rub shoulders with some of the most beautiful people in the world with such rich culture and unmatched kindness.