Bringing A Bicycle

Hi, not sure where I should be posting this. We want to bring a bicycle with us next time we come to Samui. We can take it as one of our checked baggage to Bangkok. Not sure yet if we will fly to Samui (Bangkok Airways) or go the train bus ferry route...Does anyone have any ideas on the cheapest and easiest way to get the bike from Bangkok to Samui. I checked the Bangkok Airways site and my brain isn't processing the answers I need. Not even sure what size plane they use for that particular flight.

thanks Carol

A couple of choices.

1/ Call BKK airways re checked luggage.

2/ BKK Air cargo.

3/ Post it if you have a Samui address.

Easy way to figure out which type of plane, is look @ flight time. Jet just over an hour, ATR one & a half hours.

The Airbus aircraft have plenty of space for bikes. They are on the flights of 1 hour. The ATR's have limited space for bikes. You need to tell PG you are taking a bike. I have never paid anything but i was within my bag allowance or only a little over. I have also taken my bike to Samui by taking the train to Surathani. The bike goes as cargo for a small charge in the guards van. I cycled from the station to Donsak and took the boat over.

thanks for the help, we have one bike already stored on Samui but wanted to bring a bigger one from home. The bike frames there are a little small for us full sized western peeps :rolleyes:

Just for your information, there is a new bike shop on Samui, with full on European sizes & well known brands, even seen tandem bikes there.

Been told same prices if not cheaper then in the UK. Will try & get you a link.

Did it myself two months ago with a Trek mountain bike. Boxed it up and brought it on the train. Had to pay a whopping 60 THB surcharge on the train and there was no charge on the ferry. Got it to KPG and assembled it right off the pier. The biggest hassle of the whole experience was finding a taxi in Bangkok to fit the box. Only the pink taxis were wide enough to accommodate the box.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck.

Last time I used Bangkok Airways air freight it was quite cheap. The location at the airport can be tricky to find, but the counter staff should be able to help. This could be a viable option if you have enough time and the cost as checked luggage is high. Taxis in the taxi queue will not be happy to not get a longer fare if you then go back to departures, and don't expect them to know where air cargo is. They shouldn't mind stopping at cargo if you then go to Bangkok. I recommend going to the upstairs to catch an arriving taxi with a map in hand if you choose this route.

Thanks again for all the responses. I guess now I just wait and see if we end up flying or training it to the island...I prefer the train bus ferry route as there is always something interesting happening along the way.:lol: The rest of the posse prefer the get there quick method.