BoJangles Budget Bungalow in the Boonies

What are the alternatives for boarding the soffits?

I'd be looking at the concrete based wood substitutes, Shera or Conwood. 'Tis what we will be using unless the good lady decides to use more Teak :(

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd be looking at the concrete based wood substitutes, Shera or Conwood. 'Tis what we will be using unless the good lady decides to use more Teak sad.png

Cheers Crossy.

I'm over next week and on a mammoth shopping expedition. So I'll look out for those (not the Teak though). That's the good thing about having a thread going, getting ideas off people with more experience and knowledge. Just wish Naam would have suggested that in the first place, instead of going round the houses. biggrin.png

EDIT:- Just done a search and found several Conwood dealers in the Chaiyaphum region here:- http://www.conwood.co.th/en/dealer.asp

EDIT 2:- Information on Shera :- http://www.mahaphant.com/en/our-products/Fiber-Cement-Board-Siding.jsp?prdid=25

Mr BJ,

on holiday again, jeez how many do you get?

Are you still in the Sand Pit?

If so, take a look round in the town you are located, I brought heaps of stuff over here, hinges, locks, screws, door handles etc etc.

The good thing about Saudi was they didnt have the ridiculous import taxes on foreign goods they do here, plus Saudi Airlines werent anal on things such as overweight baggage, mrs and I would bring almost 100kg between us, go via Singapore and check the bags right through to Bkk.

Dont know what your shopping trip involves, but may be worth your while checking out your local area in Saudi, unless of course you happen to be stuck in the middle of the empty quarter.

rgs,

Yes still in Saudi and the holidays are quite good . smile.png The centre of Riyadh isn't far and I have bought some small stuff that's worth taking, especially tools but the shopping expo will be for stuff too big and bulky to bring. Boxes of tiles, bathroom suites etc so even Saudi Air would be out of the question.

We get our water from a well and I have so only installed a sediment filter since our water only contains 150ppm of Ca. With the Waterco filter the back-wash needs to be done manually and there is a sight-glass that let one knows when it is time. My filter is installed in our pump room before the storage tanks. We have two pumps, one larger for our domestic water and one smaller for the sprinklers, both are Grundfos. The sprinkler pump is hidden behind the larger pump on the picture below.

04-PumpFilterSystem.jpg

''I don't believe this was installed by Thai's or it actually only needs one pipe and stopcock, in which case, yeah.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a really worthwhile trip up to the boonies for my first close up view of progress. The last time I saw it apart from piccies was when it was just a concrete pad. I'm really happy with the wifes brothers workmanship, they are doing a much better job than I anticipated.

Bought the front door and frame. 3,900 baht for both because my style is "out of fashion" biggrin.png I wanted something simple but quite good quality and because I didn't want anything "in fashion" (the type with the horrid fancy carving) I got this cheap cos the frame had been sitting around for 3 years. Forgot to take a piccie of the door but it is simple rectangle panels to match the frame.

This is last week

post-19542-0-50352700-1326883040_thumb.j

And this is 2 days ago

post-19542-0-66998600-1326883085_thumb.j

This is probably a mistake. Sent the Mrs out to get the bathroom frame and door, so that the wall could be built. She came back with one of those "wood effect" plastic frame and door set. bah.gif I'll probably change that later but for now stuff it, let work continue.

The "lovely" frame is in and bathroom wall built.

post-19542-0-05871600-1326884013_thumb.j

Rendering/plastering also continues in the kitchen.

post-19542-0-01136900-1326884135_thumb.j

This is probably a mistake. Sent the Mrs out to get the bathroom frame and door, so that the wall could be built. She came back with one of those "wood effect" plastic frame and door set. bah.gif I'll probably change that later but for now stuff it, let work continue.

Actually a plastic door and frame on the bathroom may be a smart move, no issues with damp getting at the wood. :)

I'd be looking at the concrete based wood substitutes, Shera or Conwood. 'Tis what we will be using unless the good lady decides to use more Teak sad.png

ceiling above my pool is done with them. good to work with and durable.

ceiling above my pool is done with them. good to work with and durable.

Yep. Bought a load of that as well. Should be going up in the next couple of weeks. "Wood" effect conwood for the front and back and plain shera board for under the soffits/eaves.

BTW.

Anybody got any recommendations as to the best way to dispose of waste water. I.E. for water and waste from the toilet and for grey water from the sink, wash basin etc. jap.gif

A septic tank.

Keep the photos coming.

Make that a plastic septic tank.

Yes, keep them coming.

Oh, try and keep receipts in your name for everything you buy.

Yep. Bought a load of that as well. Should be going up in the next couple of weeks. "Wood" effect conwood for the front and back and plain shera board for under the soffits/eaves.

I am curious how much conwood and shera cost. Is it per length or per sqm?

I am curious how much conwood and shera cost. Is it per length or per sqm?

I'll look at the receipts tomorrow. The Conwood was in packs and we just bought several but you could buy it in single lengths. I think we bought the cement board in sheets of 6x3 foot.

nice house mr B,

I just wonder why you moved the window insted of just leaving the initial window there and putting in one at the front? that room will be quite dark.

We have been there again for the last few days and the light in all the rooms is fine, I'm really happy with it. However, I had the same concerns as you mention and the brothers said "no problem, if too darke we cut it out again and put window in". So I went along with what I thought was more practical and looked nicest. If it wasn't enough, no problem.

Left the house this morning and just got back to Patters for 6 days of real beer before heading back to Saudi. I won't see the house now for a few more months but have left a list for the wifes brothers to do. Theyré gonna do those and then jump on another job till we return. Hopefully, when we get back it will be ready for tiling, kitchen units and bathroom.

I'm actually using this project for a few ideas I have, to see if they work or not. Here's one for you. This is at one end of our bedroom and the brickwork is about 3 feet x 2.5. Can you guess what it is/will be?

Close up

post-19542-0-72013500-1327490567_thumb.j

Zoomed out to get a feeling of the size.

post-19542-0-04052000-1327490612_thumb.j

We got a price for the windows. 25,000 baht for the full house complete with a blueish/green glass and in White alluminium, which was a tad more expensive than the brown for some reason but I still think is megga cheap. I therefore wanted to see a sample window installed. Check the look and workmanship etc. They came a couple of days ago and fitted it. I'm really happy with the look and very happy with the workmanship. The price wasn't with Mozzie screens but they can and will be fitted later.

post-19542-0-69507500-1327491286_thumb.j

The first coat of primer is being painted on.

post-19542-0-03166300-1327491371_thumb.j

post-19542-0-56538600-1327491476_thumb.j

Left the house this morning and just got back to Patters for 6 days of real beer before heading back to Saudi. I won't see the house now for a few more months but have left a list for the wifes brothers to do. Theyré gonna do those and then jump on another job till we return. Hopefully, when we get back it will be ready for tiling, kitchen units and bathroom.

I'm actually using this project for a few ideas I have, to see if they work or not. Here's one for you. This is at one end of our bedroom and the brickwork is about 3 feet x 2.5. Can you guess what it is/will be?

Close up

post-19542-0-72013500-1327490567_thumb.j

Zoomed out to get a feeling of the size.

post-19542-0-04052000-1327490612_thumb.j

A built in toe breaker/stubber?

the foundations for a parrot cage / fire place / baby crib / wine cooler / piranha aquarium / dog house? huh.png

tell tell tell Mr BoJ! this is not fair. how can we sleep tonight without knowing???

A built in toe breaker/stubber?

the foundations for a parrot cage / fire place / baby crib / wine cooler / piranha aquarium / dog house? huh.png

tell tell tell Mr BoJ! this is not fair. how can we sleep tonight without knowing???

its either a fireplace, an indor compost or a massive cat liter

Probably the base for the bathroom suite he's bringing from Saudi, actually I'm sure I've seen something similar on one of those S&M sites, not that I ever visit these of course.

Sorry chaps. None of the above.

Don't know if you remember me pondering over what to do with the rain water that meets from the two pitched roofs at the front. Had a few ideas i.e. putting on a rain chain (whatever the real name is) and letting the water just flow into a drain on the floor, or putting another small roof underneath. In the end I opted for this

The two front pillars are also being "fattened" up.

post-19542-0-86115800-1327550705_thumb.j

post-19542-0-19052000-1327550742_thumb.j

There will be two smaller pillars also built and the pillar with the drain inside will form the entrance steps.

post-19542-0-77177100-1327550798_thumb.j.

House is coming along Mr. B congrats

As to the roof runoff....Yes a chain etc would not be sufficient for that amount I would think.

You might have a mess right in front of the porch

Here we call that type of framing a butterfly roof. It is an older design & not used these days due to inherent problems

in a large downpour. Just be sure your gutter & downspouts are large enough to evacuate a large downpour without resistance.

At least in your case the butterfly section looks to be only outside the home. So even if you have a problem it will not affect the inside

I have not been keeping up with your thread lately but as I said you have come a long way since I last looked.

It looks like metal roofing you have there & if so hopefully you have large flash pans at the valleys...14-20" wide is nice

Also that they made no screw holes near the center areas where water runs when attaching the pans or the roof on top of the pans

Chok Dee & looking forward to your completion

Edited by flying

House is coming along Mr. B congrats

As to the roof runoff....Yes a chain etc would not be sufficient for that amount I would think.

Here we call that type of framing a butterfly roof. It is an older design & not used these days due to inherent problems

in a large downpour. Just be sure your gutter & downspouts are large enough to evacuate a large downpour without resistance.

At least in your case the butterfly section looks to be only outside the home. So even if you have a problem it will not affect the inside

I have not been keeping up with your thread lately but as I said you have come a long way since I last looked.

It looks like metal roofing you have there & if so hopefully you have large flash pans at the valleys...14-20" wide is nice

Also that they made no screw holes near the center areas where water runs when attaching the pans or the roof on top of the pans

Chok Dee & looking forward to your completion

Cheers flying.

Yeah the "butterfly" design was an attempt to keep it looking a little different to what is around at the moment. Next door just has a box with a straight up and down roof and doesn't really have any character IMO. This way obviously costs more but i think it's worth it.

As to the rain. The butterfly section was always intended to be outside (for exactly the same reasons I don't like flat roofs in the UK) just in case of a leak. Fortunately last week whilst I was up there we had a huge down poor, which was the first big rain since the roof was put on. We had 2 very small leaks/drips. One in the bathroom and one in the trough under the butterfly roof. We called the roofers up and they came that day and fixed them (proven by another big downpoor).

Considering it is a metal roof, i was also impressed with the dulling of the rain noise by having the foil sheets fitted underneath. The inside ceiling isn't fitted yet but it still wasn't too noisy. If anyone else is having a metal roof fitted, I'd highly recommend putting that underneath.

I know at the start of the thread I said I would probably use it for only 4 days per year but I'm so happy with it, I could see me happily spending alot more than that but still never full time.

• Like 2