Sweet & Sour Pork

KRS1

My usual spot for cheap dining surprised me today when i ordered sweet and sour pork for lunch @ 30 baht.

Their cook is great and the food is of higher quality than your regular street vendor. If this young kid went to America to cook, he would be a rich man.

Anyway back to the pork, the sweet and sour pork was done Real Chinese style (like back in the US), slightly battered in corn starch and fried before being cooked in the sweet and sour sauce. First time ever anyone's ever cooked it this way for me in Thailand.

Portions are about twice as much as you would get from a regular street vendor and only 30 baht with a complimentary bowl of soup with your meal.

Left onto Mangkalajam Road , off of Huay Kaew before getting to the Nimanheimin intersection heading towards Doi Suthep. There is a small strip of 3 restaurants on your right, open air and always motorcycles parked in front, its the one to the far right with pictures of food in front and vegetables in the display case. The middle shop looks dark and dirty but the shop on the right is cleaner.

Best deal for food by far in this area, cheap and big portions when ordering rice dishes, if you want to save money, get full and have a good meal check this place out, been going for the past 3 months and has remained consistant everytime - unless the woman cooks which is only 5% of the time.

Sweet and sour pork = pud biew waan moo

crispy pork with basil = grapow moo grob (mai ped =not spicy)

squid with marsala curry = bamuk pad poang gari (35 baht)

Not to digress too much but: there's a stall in the Tops food hall in Kad Suan Gow (sp) that does an absolutely amazing Pad si eel gai (sp)(fried broad noodles with chicken) and I'm hugely impressed, at THB 35 it's worth twice the price - the dish is so simple yet most people manage to screw it up badly, this stalls version is simply wonderful and I could easily OD on it unless restraint is exercised, Mrs CM says it's all down to the noodles and she may be right but I sense it may be more than that - first stall to the right of the drinks stall on the corner.

Have to give that place a shot, but its not the same place that does Lard Na is it (noodles in gravy)

That place barely scratches the surface of my belly, or maybe my belly is just getting too big.

Have to give that place a shot, but its not the same place that does Lard Na is it (noodles in gravy)

That place barely scratches the surface of my belly, or maybe my belly is just getting too big.

Sorry but I don't know, the portions are not huge by any means but given that my stomach is trying to break (my) records currently, that's probably just as well. Quality over quantity is a real misnomer, if the quality is crap you stop eating and stay thin, if it's excellent then you go for repeats of small portions, get fat, explode and die - note to self: move back to UK asap. :D

The best pad see eel rad na is on kwang sing road 5pm onwards at night drive down huay kaew and get to the big set of traffic lights turn onto the superhighway what ever way you are coming from go past the 2 gas/patrol station and turn left on to the slip road turn left at the traffic lights and when you see the road on the left that goes to jed yod it's just past there on your left very tasty indeed .

I think what you are describing is commonly called 'Hong-Kong Style' Sweet and Sour Pork (Moo Priow Waan) I have had it at a couple of places locally, best remembered is the Doi Mae Salong Resort :clap2:

The best pad see eel rad na is on kwang sing road 5pm onwards at night drive down huay kaew and get to the big set of traffic lights turn onto the superhighway what ever way you are coming from go past the 2 gas/patrol station and turn left on to the slip road turn left at the traffic lights and when you see the road on the left that goes to jed yod it's just past there on your left very tasty indeed .

A medal for he who can find that restaurant,following the directions as you posted them.:D

"Anyway back to the pork, the sweet and sour pork was done Real Chinese style (like back in the US), slightly battered in corn starch and fried before being cooked in the sweet and sour sauce. First time ever anyone's ever cooked it this way for me in Thailand".

I must admit that sometimes I fancy a good old UK/USA Chinese meal.

Sweet & Sour Prawn Balls, Chicken Chop Suey, Special Fried Rice, Spring Rolls, Beef Chow Mein... all washed down with Ice cold Coke! biggrin.gif

Edited by uptheos

"Anyway back to the pork, the sweet and sour pork was done Real Chinese style (like back in the US), slightly battered in corn starch and fried before being cooked in the sweet and sour sauce. First time ever anyone's ever cooked it this way for me in Thailand".

Sweet & Sour Prawn Balls, Chicken Chop Suey, Special Fried Rice, Spring Rolls, Beef Chow Mein... all washed down with Ice cold Coke! biggrin.gif

......not forgetting the alkaseltzer...

......not forgetting the alkaseltzer...

Goes without saying biggrin.gif

"Anyway back to the pork, the sweet and sour pork was done Real Chinese style (like back in the US), slightly battered in corn starch and fried before being cooked in the sweet and sour sauce. First time ever anyone's ever cooked it this way for me in Thailand."

Oh My Buddha, Real Sweet and Sour Pork.

Never had it like this outside of UK and Hong Kong, the home of Cantonese Food.

Must try and locate and will PIG OUT.

john

ooohh i wonder if they do shrimp the same way...their fried rice is chinese style also....if you've never tried it you have got to try the krispy pork with basil ! but tell them mai ped (not spicy)

must try.

Go down huay kaew towards doi suthep and make a left at the first stoplight after passing shell gas station.

The first small strip of open air restaurants on your right side, the cook will be a young guy wearing a hat. The restaurant to the right side with pictures hanging up and wooden tables.

I dont know if they have coke so may want to bring your own, i always get the free water, self served in the corner.

There will be a small kiosk across the street selling coffee with carnation banners hung up.

A medal for he who can find that restaurant,following the directions as you posted them.:D

Yeah i'm terrible at directions better at just showing people .

It's the road that goes to mae rim as you come off the superhighway the first bridge on the suprhighway .

Almost ! Could be a little sweeter to be honest though, but still the best ive had in CNX so far.

Hard to beat for 30 baht :)

Tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, carrots, non spicy red pepper.

After reading the post we decided to head down there for some Sweet and Sour Pork.

The place is located on the corner where the Green Palace Hotel is located.

Coming from Huay Kaew Road, if you pass the Green Palace Hotel you have just pasted the resturant.

We used to eat here all the time... Sin Lek Tom Yuam Soup

But the FLIES got sooo bad it kind of messed up our meal.

Today... almost NO Flies, lol...

The Sweet and Sour Pork was tastie.... but almost TOO Sweet for me.

Worth a try if you enjoy.

I dont remember the soi, but the side sois off of Nimanheimin are pretty short and you'd find it in no time. If coming from Huay Kaew road and turn onto Nimanheimin , its one of the sois on your left. One of the places looks like a house and have a reasonable amount of cars parked during open hours (good sign!)