Internet Streaming Tv

nivram4491

I watch a lot of sport on my computer using P2P TV streaming. My ISP is TOT Wifi (6Mb/.5Mb) and I am usually getting 5Mb+ and around .8 upload.

I live in a small rural village so there is not a lot of choice as far as ISP's go. The TV quality is quite good but the stream has very annoying pauses and bits of the action get lost. Many of the streams are HD which is great quality wise but create bandwidth problems.

Is there anything I can do to improve the quality of the P2P TV? My computer is dual core. Would an i5 fix the problem.

I could get 3BB (with its own cable to my house rather than a telephone line) in addition to TOT. Is it possible to combine the signals from two different ISP's? Would two 6Mb signals combined give 10 - 12 Mb? If it is possible does anyone know a network expert in the Chiang Mai area who could do the installation?

With P2P it is not just your connection, but also the upload speed of the person that is streaming said program though the interweb. Yes a better connection will always help, but you will stil have the same problems from the hosts end... especially when there are big games on.....When using p2p try using the Flash links as they seem to be more stable most of the time

With any streaming video of prime importance is a consistent/smooth flow of data versus bursts of data. Being a recent/former TOT 6Mb plan member (and on the 4Mb & 2Mb before the 6Mb plan) when looking at the flow of data on a bandwidth monitor you can see the stop and go data flow....high for a X-milliseconds/seconds...then low for X-milliseconds/a few seconds. You can use Speedtest.net to see the stop and go action/very uneven flow of data as Speedtest.net's display also shows a little bandwidth flow chart in the middle of the display while running the test. While I was on TOT I pretty much gave up trying to view streaming video and many YouTube videos....just way too much pausing. But my general internet browsing and emailing was just fine. And I'm not implying only TOT has this problem; I've seen many other ThaiVisa posts where people experience the same issue with True, 3BB, etc.....and of course the posts of people on True, 3BB, TOT, and others which don't seem to have a problem but maybe their local circuits are working better.

Now if using Speedtest.net to look at your data flow, be sure you get a real world ping time; otherwise, you are probably getting a bogus result in ping time and download speed due to the file being download is from an in-Thailand hidden cache server versus from that farangland server you are really trying to test to....a.k.a., your simulated streaming video site somewhere in the world. Pulling down a file from a local cache server will be smooth and fast on the Speedtest.net bandwidth display.

Now that I'm on a True Cable 20Mb internet plan the data flow is much more consistent/even and streaming video (to include HD video) is no problem. While the increased speed of course helps, you can see the much more consistent/even flow of data versus the stop and go action. Your results may vary.

Edited by Pib

I am using Roku 2 XS to watch Netflix stream. It work very well under 3BB from early morning till around 6pm. After 6pm, the connection tend to throttled down to slow speed.

Maybe U can give 3BB a try or wait for True Hi-Speed internet (Cable). Last I check with the True Salewomen at Big-C beside the 108 highway. She told me should be available next 1-2 months.

Oh by the way, I am at Hangdong, CM