Is It Worth It To Fly Business Class On A Long Haul Flight

It's all down to personal circumstances afaic. We're based in the UK and fly out to Thailand for four or five weeks at a time. We simply don't get the week of 'jetlag' fatigue from flying in business (and the associated loss of quality time at each end through said 'jetlag'). so it's worth it for us.

Sorry but who has jetlag for a week ??

To me its a total myth anyway and dont experience any reaction either way but accept Im maybe lucky.

If you're experiencing jetlag for a week its nothing to do with a flight but general lifestyle ??

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite easy for someone who flies rarely to feel jet-lag for the best part of a week if you are flying 15 hours or more. when I worked those of us who flew regularly felt it for a day or two only (the wanting to fall asleep in meetings and the upset stomach syndrome) and of course we would never even admit to that!

It's all down to personal circumstances afaic. We're based in the UK and fly out to Thailand for four or five weeks at a time. We simply don't get the week of 'jetlag' fatigue from flying in business (and the associated loss of quality time at each end through said 'jetlag'). so it's worth it for us.

To me its a total myth anyway and dont experience any reaction either way but accept Im maybe lucky.

If you're experiencing jetlag for a week its nothing to do with a flight but general lifestyle ??

To be fair, flying West to East, going across 7-8 time zones can screw-up your body-clock, no matter how fit you are. Anyone who has been up at 2-3-4-5 am in an Eastern hotel will know what I mean. And it can last for a week until your body adjusts.

Never seems to affect me flying E to W though.

Totally worth it. Although this is just another thread along the lines 'how much do you need to live comfortably in.....' It'll depend on the individual. For me I more often question whether first class is worth it and will tend to stick with business class. Economy spacing and service is out of the question though.

:)

Up to 4 years ago I used economy.When I left the plane on the last economy flight I got a stroke.For me it is worthwhile to fly business class where I can stretch out.

It's your diet and lifestyle that caused the stroke, not flying in Coach!

Maybe use the extra $ spent on Business Class airfares consulting a professional dietitian and getting a yearly full medical exam?

How would you know.I do not smoke nor drink alkohol and I eat mostly fruit and vegetables and work out and I have a yearly full medical exam.The mistake was I did not move around as I had a middle seat and is was very cramped.Next time do not assume things.

Maybe you should fortify your days with at least 1 glass of red wine, brew your own coffee in the mornings and have a decent cigar after your twice-monthly prime rib dinner. Then you won't need to worry about moving around too much on your flights. Avoiding alcohol and cigarettes while eating 'mostly' rabbit food and walking up and down the stairs doesn't make a hill of beans if you don't consider your age, physiology and family history of coronary disease. Seriously.

Flying Coach almost killed you? Flying Business Class is going to save your life? I still don't buy it.

I did not claim flying coach almost killed me.I said I got a stroke probably a blood clot formed because no leg movement cramped seating.And I never claimed business class is saving my life and I do not care what you buy.

For years now, I have been flying EVA Air business/Premium Laurel class because I need the leg room.

I am 2 meters long and already had thrombosis in my leg from sitting in Economy too long.

I have to inject myself with Clexane every time I fly to Thailand.

I can afford it and, for me, it's a question of health.

Of course, the other benefits are nice as well: separate check-in, baggage allowance and priority handling, VIP lounge, etc.

For years now, I have been flying EVA Air business/Premium Laurel class because I need the leg room.

I am 2 meters long and already had thrombosis in my leg from sitting in Economy too long.

I have to inject myself with Clexane every time I fly to Thailand.

I can afford it and, for me, it's a question of health.

Of course, the other benefits are nice as well: separate check-in, baggage allowance and priority handling, VIP lounge, etc.

EVA use the AA lounge at LHR which was nice. Had only used the SAS/Air Canada lounge before, but prefer the AA one. Great being able to have a shower/meal/view of the tarmac before the flight.

In my opinion its not worth it, but I always sleep the whole way. If I were awake during the flight I might have a different opinion...

But as a Danish billionaire once said, when he was asked why he always fly economy, he answered that he had tried business class, first class and even private jets but his experience were that he arrived at the same time as the economy passengers!

If you can afford it, fly business class. From start to finish it is a much better experience than flying economy.

If you need to balance the budget, ie a business class flight against a better hotel, then it depends on how long you are on vacation for. In my opinion, around 7 days, fly business class, 7 - 10 days it's 50/50, over 10 days, then fly economy and get the better hotel.

Why? There is no doubt that business class is a far more comfortable and enjoyable experience, your vacation really does start on the aircraft. ( All the normal caveats apply, ie you select a decent carrier in the first place ). On a "shortish" vacation you don't want to spend the first couple of days recovering from the flight. I think most posters here can recall horrific travel experiences in cattle class.

I lost a good friend at 37 years of age to a Deep Vein Thrombosis, and this young man wasn't short of cash. He was easily a dollar millionaire. DVT's, strokes and heart attacks are far more common after long haul flights than you would believe. Again many posters here can probably think of people they know that have suffered such incidents. I can name several. I'm not suggesting Business Class makes you immune from these problems, but DVT's are called " Economy Class Syndrome" for a reason.

So if you can, fly Business Class, and if you fly long haul economy, get up out of your seat at every opportunity.

To be fair, flying West to East, going across 7-8 time zones can screw-up your body-clock, no matter how fit you are. Anyone who has been up at 2-3-4-5 am in an Eastern hotel will know what I mean. And it can last for a week until your body adjusts.

Never seems to affect me flying E to W though.

Yeah, I know plenty of people who have the same experiences about flying W to E as opposed to E to W. But I'm not so lucky, and I know plenty of people (including my wife and mother) who have the same problem. But it's a problem much reduced by flying in business class. My wife doesn't drink much, but I eat and drink everything available to relieve the boredom (far more in bus than I ever did in coach) when I can't sleep.

The way I look at this for/against discussion: If you don't mind long haul economy, fine, it's more money to spend on other things. If you don't like long haul economy (and I hate it with a vengeance), why subject yourself to a bad experience (and it's an excruciatingly bad one for me) if you don't have to? For me, life's not long enough to be worth knowingly putting myself through bad experiences.

If you can afford it, fly business class. From start to finish it is a much better experience than flying economy.

If you need to balance the budget, ie a business class flight against a better hotel, then it depends on how long you are on vacation for. In my opinion, around 7 days, fly business class, 7 - 10 days it's 50/50, over 10 days, then fly economy and get the better hotel.

Why? There is no doubt that business class is a far more comfortable and enjoyable experience, your vacation really does start on the aircraft. ( All the normal caveats apply, ie you select a decent carrier in the first place ). On a "shortish" vacation you don't want to spend the first couple of days recovering from the flight. I think most posters here can recall horrific travel experiences in cattle class.

I lost a good friend at 37 years of age to a Deep Vein Thrombosis, and this young man wasn't short of cash. He was easily a dollar millionaire. DVT's, strokes and heart attacks are far more common after long haul flights than you would believe. Again many posters here can probably think of people they know that have suffered such incidents. I can name several. I'm not suggesting Business Class makes you immune from these problems, but DVT's are called " Economy Class Syndrome" for a reason.

So if you can, fly Business Class, and if you fly long haul economy, get up out of your seat at every opportunity.

Read post 66.Some people have a different opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's a liitle late reply, but just a few days ago I flew to Europe with LH business class. The business class as such was the right choice, but 2500Euros for an old style business class, where the passenger of the window seat have to climb over the aisle seat passenger, is crap. I'll stay with business, but will change the airline....

fatfather

Maybe it's a liitle late reply, but just a few days ago I flew to Europe with LH business class. The business class as such was the right choice, but 2500Euros for an old style business class, where the passenger of the window seat have to climb over the aisle seat passenger, is crap. I'll stay with business, but will change the airline....

fatfather

Not many don't have seats where you don't have to step over to go to the toilet. I can't think of any flying direct to Europe off hand, but Etihad do if you don't mind the stop. Personally, I'd rather go direct, even if I have a sloping seat and have to step over someones legs a couple of times.

I never pay for business but many times i've had it due to membership card .

Is it worth it depends on how much are you willing to spend . It is without a doubt way better then economy . I try to sleep as much as possible and i can sleep a lot better in business . I put airplugs in so crying children or something like that is not much of a problem . In general everything is better but when saying like i spend double on a ticket just to sleep a bit better ... no .

Now , if you fly only 1 time a year and are willing to spend that money , go ahead . There is a chance you never head back to economy , and if i had the money for it , i would do also , but 800 euro or so more is for me a lot of money on the 12 hours i spend in the aircraft .

I remember years ago, that an airline was offering Business Class as buy one get one free to the UK, I wonder if these kind of deals will ever happen again.

That was Gulf Air if I'm not mistaken.

But it was not entirely free. The taxes on the second ticket had to be paid.

As for airlines to Europe where you don't have to step over another passenger if you have a window seat, you can add Oman Air to that list.

Business class with Oman Air is in a 1 - 2 - 1 configuration as in most airlines first class service.

Just for information.

Yermanee :jap: