2 Questions

girlx

1- i finally got ADSL at my house (yay!), but i would like to set up a wireless connection. i am a web professional so you'd think i would know this ( :o ) but i am clueless about hardware. what do i need to buy- a wireless router? is it expensive? my laptop has a wifi card in it already.

2- i also want to buy a phone with a USB adaptor that i can connect and use for Yahoo Voice (voip)... i saw a post about this recently but can't find it now, can someone tell me what is the best one to buy and where?

going to bangkok soon and have a trip to pantip planned, advice appreciated.

some nice offers here tohome.com

take care when buying a router that it supports for instance pppoe (connection protocol) without upgrading the firmware, i bought a dlink wielwss router (good equipment though) but had to flash the firmware first in order to use it with True (took quit an effort to find the firmware on the net)

goodluck

I have a SMC 7904WBRA or barricade , ADSL modem , 4 port router , 802.11b/g wireless access point , firewall and I am very happy with it. It has its own PPPoE ( point to point protocol over ethernet ) client in the firmware so you set it up as always connected and it will automaticaly reconnect if your isp drops you off every 24 hours.

when you install your new adsl modem wifi acces point make sure you read up on the threads detailing securing the wifi side of it.

edit - cost is a bout 3-4000 baht

Edited by stumonster

1- i finally got ADSL at my house (yay!), but i would like to set up a wireless connection. i am a web professional so you'd think i would know this ( :o ) but i am clueless about hardware. what do i need to buy- a wireless router? is it expensive? my laptop has a wifi card in it already.

2- i also want to buy a phone with a USB adaptor that i can connect and use for Yahoo Voice (voip)... i saw a post about this recently but can't find it now, can someone tell me what is the best one to buy and where?

What equipment do you already have? Please include as many details as possible. I can envision three components: ADSL modem, ethernet/router and WiFi Access Point. You can purchase these as separate components, or integrated (all three in one, ADSL modem+router or router+WiFi AP). Any recommendations would depend on what you have already, if anything.

Are you specifically looking to use only Yahoo Messenger for voice converations? Or are you looking at some sort of true Voip service (i.e Vonage, Packet8). What are you applications? (calls to any phone anywahere? calls to any other PC's, calls just to other Yahoo customers?) For simple voice-enabled Yahoo Messenger chat sessions all you really need are a microphone and speaker. For true VoIP calls you would typically have a standard analog telephone, connected to an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter, POTs in/Ethernet out) connected to a router port.

Edited by lomatopo

What equipment do you already have? Please include as many details as possible. I can envision three components: ADSL modem, ethernet/router and WiFi Access Point. You can purchase these as separate components, or integrated (all three in one, ADSL modem+router or router+WiFi AP). Any recommendations would depend on what you have already, if anything.

Are you specifically looking to use only Yahoo Messenger for voice converations? Or are you looking at some sort of true Voip service (i.e Vonage, Packet8). What are you applications? (calls to any phone anywahere? calls to any other PC's, calls just to other Yahoo customers?) For simple voice-enabled Yahoo Messenger chat sessions all you really need are a microphone and speaker. For true VoIP calls you would typically have a standard analog telephone, connected to an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter, POTs in/Ethernet out) connected to a router port.

I live in Phetchaburi (province) and was recently faced with the same challenge regarding ADSL. Since I had had excellent experience withy Linksys in the US, I bought a Linksys ADSL Gateway from Pantip (model number WAG54G v2). It was relatively expensive at Baht 5,200, but the setup was simplicity itself. The engineer from my local TOT VAR was simply stunned that the whole process took less than ten minutes, and it worked first time, and has never failed (six months now). And by the way, this is a wireless router/modem -- I do not use any cable connections at all. I cannot help you with the telephone issues.

thanks for the help so far. lomatopo i ONLY have an ADSL modem at this point and am wondering how to make a wireless connection. i did this in the US before but i am so stupid about these things, i can't remember how.

as for VOIP- i just want to be able to call my boss in america with yahoo voice, but via a phone. i tried to get vonage but they won't ship the equipment here and it's pretty expensive.

as for VOIP- i just want to be able to call my boss in america with yahoo voice, but via a phone. i tried to get vonage but they won't ship the equipment here and it's pretty expensive.

another option to a physical telephone is a bluetooth earpiece - I have a jabra 258 and use it with skype to make phone calls - the comfort of not having to press a phone against your ear for 30-60 minutes is indescribable - my old laptop I just used a usb bluetooth dongle but my new laptop I paid the extra 600 baht to have the bluetooth built in. I also use the jabra with my nokia and my pda.

thanks for the help so far. lomatopo i ONLY have an ADSL modem at this point and am wondering how to make a wireless connection. i did this in the US before but i am so stupid about these things, i can't remember how.

OK, we're making some progress. Do you have an ethernet ADSL modem or a USB ADSL modem? That is to say, what is the physical connection between the ADSL modem and your PC? Does it plug in to a USB port on your PC or in to the ethernet port on your PC? The later would look sort of like a telephone connector but a bit fatter, with a clip that clicks when you plug it in.

The reason for this question is that depending on the type of ADSL modem you currently have, you may or may not need a new one, capable of interfacing to a router and or WiFI AP.

If you have a ethernet ADSL modem then you'll need to buy a router and WiFi AP (these can be integrated into one box). If you have a USB ADSL modem then you really need to buy a new ADSL modem, router and WiFi AP. All three capabilities can be integrated into a single box, like the previously mentioned SMC or Linksys products. I use an all-in-one solution, the Linksys WAG54G, and am very pleased with the performance, features and functionality.

If both you and your boss are both using Yahoo then you really just need a microphone and a speaker. You can go as upscale or downscale as you want. Google "skype" and "headset". Example Plantronics

Edited by lomatopo

VOIP with skype

http://www.giant.com.hk/elite/giant/t15op....&content_id=987

i have a USB modem, so i guess i will look for that 3-in-one deal you speak of. thanks for your help again loma!

When I was looking for an integrated ADSL modem/4-port ethernet router/WiFi AP I looked at five models generally available in Bangkok:

D-Link DSL-G604T

Linksys WAG54G

Netgear DG834G

SMC 7904BRA

Zyxel Prestige 660HW-61

There may be more brands/models available, in fact I'm sure there are.

I did a fair amount of research and talked first-hand with users. All these devices had positive reviews, and they are all nearly equivalent in features, functionality and performance. I had used a lot of Linksys gear in the past, and was both satisfied with it and used to the user interface (plus I have friends who work there, still, after the Cisco buyout), so I chose the Linksys WAG54G.

Prices range from 3,500 ~ 4,500 baht (back in late August). Also consider buying a splitter (splits the phone line to allow connection back to a standard telephone handset, and to your ADSl modem; 100 baht) and an extra phone cable.

I would ask neighbors, friends what devices they are using with the same ADSL service as you, and factor that in to your decision. If it works for them, it'll work for you.

I would also look for WPA support, most WiFi AP's have this I think.

I also appreciate having a UPnP-enabled router, which along with Windows XP pro, automatically configures ports on an application-by-application basis (file sharing, gaming, etc.).

Edited by lomatopo

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting a Zyxel 660HW Modem/Router (3300 baht at Pantip).... I am very happy with it so far, but regarding security, do you think my having a WEP key and specified MAC address set up is good enough to secure it or... any other advice? Thanks!

I ended up getting a Zyxel 660HW Modem/Router (3300 baht at Pantip).... I am very happy with it so far, but regarding security, do you think my having a WEP key and specified MAC address set up is good enough to secure it or... any other advice? Thanks!

A lot of people more knowledgeable than I suggest using WPA rather than WEP, which along with MAC-specific access, changing the default username and password and both changing the deault SSID and turning off broadcasting of your SSID, provides decent security.

Google WPA for more details.

A lot of people more knowledgeable than I suggest using WPA rather than WEP, which along with MAC-specific access, changing the default username and password and both changing the deault SSID and turning off broadcasting of your SSID, provides decent security.

Google WPA for more details.

Wep? (I spit!)

Wep is la-poo-poo!

Here's my advice having tried just about everything.

Got an old computer? An old P1 or 2 laying redundant in the corner, waiting for you to bother to either throw it away or see if it can really fly from the roof of the building?

Go here. http://smoothwall.org

Turn it into a dedicated firewall (smoothwall 2 + 7 updates) for free and whack your adsl modem on the back.(Smoothwall 3 is out but let them finalise it before going over. I've used SW2 for over a year now and never been hacked. And yes, that is a dare if anyone wants to try!)

Whack your wireless setup on the green network and Bob's your uncle. (as long as you set up the security side of things properly).

Got another old com awaiting the same fate? Even an old 486?

Give it a 98se setup and install AirSnare. Set up the mac numbers of all your internal devices and if anyone else gets into your small network, you'll know thanks to the alarms. You can block them from there if needed (ever). It just fits to your green network, the internal protected network. The red network is your adsl modem. Don't bother with the orange, DMZ network unless you intend to run a webserver.

It may seem a bit long winded but if you want security, well, this is all free and that's how you'll feel regarding security, free!

Also, consider changing to Unix. It's a lot more secure. The best I've found to date is Suse Linux 9.3

Very good for internal security and loaded with extras + it is free.

Smoothwall is Linux based and easy to set up. Remember, Unix is not so widely used. Therefore, not many, if any, virus's. Get a virus under Linux? Just delete it like a .txt file. It can't run under Linux. 98% are writen under and for windows or dos. More power to your security elbow! Better still, go Mac!

Note. Don't rely on the 'firewall' built into D-Link (or any other for that matter) asdl modems. They are la-poo-poo. Switch it on, yes but don't rely on it for real security. A dedicated (old) machine (you won't need a screen or kboard for it once it is set up) is a far better step towards protection from hackers and virii.

Long winded but I hope this helps!

Why did I bother going to such lengths?

Asia is the home of the hacker. More hacks come out of Asia that any other part of the world. It's proven. Go search it!

Edited by mr-chris

what if you don't have 2 old computers laying around?  :o

i guess i'll do some reading up on WPA!

As long as you know they are working, pick them up cheap! I did. Firewall is an old P1 150 with 32 megs ram, 1.7 gig Hdrive.

Airsnare sits on al old 486 DX4 with 32 megs ram and 300 mb hdrive.

The 486 was a gift from someone who wanted to learn about security. She had 2. Hers is doing the same as mine.