Phuket Consuls Let Loose Over German Bashing

webfact

I haven't been to Phuket for about 4 or 5 years but the last time I went down there they were charging 100 Baht as the standard fee.

So at some point this minimum fee has doubled. Did it suddenly double up overnight or go up in stages I wonder ?

One thing's for sure - I won't be going there again.

Edited by ukrules

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are tourist areas the world over not vastly more expensive than rural residential areas?

Tourist areas are designed for two things. Tourists to enjoy and businesses to make money. If you try to be a resident in a place like that and expect it to be the same as living in a non tourist area then you aren't being very realistic are you.

I maintain my opinion that the vast majority of the 3.5 million tourists that came to phuket last year, that used tuk tuks did so without any problems, or any complaints including the £4 cost.

If you are a long term resident, and you have issues with it perhaps you should have considered living in a non tourist area.

How come the farang business owners are quite happy to charge twice the price for their products & services? Nobody compares those to the prices in rural thailand do they.

Your proprty rents at the same price as the Khon Kaen city equivelent does it?

If you like to be a slave of the thai-mafia, than you are on the right place in phuket. how did they break your neck?

Because the two places are completely different, and what is the point in discussing the price of taxi ride without counting the metre starting price?

Is it possible to travel 800 meters in BKK for 14 baht?

35 (start) - 45 baht depending on the route's gridlock factor. For 800 meters during commute hours it might be quicker and no-cost to just walk (or stagger).

Edited by MaxYakov

At the height of the the "red shirt" troubles in Bangkok last year, Tuk-Tuk drivers were offering to take me anywhere in Bangkok for 25 Baht. It just goes to show how prices will drop when Tuk-Tuk drivers are desperate for customers.

Don't use Tuk-Tuks until they drop their prices considerably.

The rule I use with Tuk-Tuks anywhere (when I'm desperate to even think about using one) is to establish the destination and the fare with the driver BEFORE climbing aboard. Haggling worked once in Bangkok and I paid only 30 baht for 1/2 mile. Turned down a 200 baht Tuk-Tuk in Hua Hin for an approx. 1/2 mile destination.

Tuk-Tuking while intoxicated (TWI) is probably a bad idea anywhere and dubious (IMHO) even when sober.

Edited by MaxYakov

Are tourist areas the world over not vastly more expensive than rural residential areas?

Tourist areas are designed for two things. Tourists to enjoy and businesses to make money. If you try to be a resident in a place like that and expect it to be the same as living in a non tourist area then you aren't being very realistic are you.

I maintain my opinion that the vast majority of the 3.5 million tourists that came to phuket last year, that used tuk tuks did so without any problems, or any complaints including the £4 cost.

If you are a long term resident, and you have issues with it perhaps you should have considered living in a non tourist area.

How come the farang business owners are quite happy to charge twice the price for their products & services? Nobody compares those to the prices in rural thailand do they.

Your proprty rents at the same price as the Khon Kaen city equivelent does it?

I would think that in most tourists areas throughout the world a tourist does not get, in this case, possibly killed for 100 baht. We don't even know if the 100 baht dispute is true, if there was a fight or if he was drunk either. No source is provided and the tuk-tuk driver is unknown. Who is the mystery person who provided all this info. but can't identify the driver or the mob? The problem is the rule of law.

I would think that in most tourists areas throughout the world a tourist does not get, in this case, possibly killed for 100 baht. We don't even know if the 100 baht dispute is true, if there was a fight or if he was drunk either. No source is provided and the tuk-tuk driver is unknown. Who is the mystery person who provided all this info. but can't identify the driver or the mob? The problem is the rule of law.

this problem is sooo easily solved,... force them to install meters,... simples !!{better still dont go to phuket}

Because the two places are completely different, and what is the point in discussing the price of taxi ride without counting the metre starting price?

Of course you can't travel 800m in BKK for 14 baht. It would be a minimum of 49 baht and if you were on Sukhumvit at 5pm on a Friday and there was a rainstorm it might cost 300 baht or more

Of course you can't travel 800m in BKK for 14 baht. It would be a minimum of 49 baht and if you were on Sukhumvit at 5pm on a Friday and there was a rainstorm it might cost 300 baht or more

On Sukhumvit Rd there are plenty of cheap buses or the Skytrain. The fares on them are not dependent on the weather or traffic congestion.

Wake up!! Not about cost, but the result. If it was a fair price, the beating was OK? A sorry reflection on police action or lack off. Also a wake up call to people travelling, stay aware, limit you use of alcohol and research your destination, could happen in any country. It is the lack of responce by police.

Meanwhile, back on the farm, things go on as usual. I wonder, do the tuk tuk drivers and their ilk even know about this meeting? Perhaps, were they consoled by some high-up that this situation would be taken care of, and for them not to worry?

I still say that the writing is on the wall as clear as daylight. The gauntlet has been thrown down by the Policeman - dancing his way across the floor of the meeting; avoiding any responsibility in the allegations, providing absolutely no results in the "investigation", and downplaying with digression. Foreigners be advised! You're dealing with made men.

Was that "made men" or "paid men"

Same thing, actually. Just different benefits.

Wake up!! Not about cost, but the result. If it was a fair price, the beating was OK? A sorry reflection on police action or lack off. Also a wake up call to people travelling, stay aware, limit you use of alcohol and research your destination, could happen in any country. It is the lack of responce by police.

The measure of police intervention, or not, is in direct proportion to the amount of money they have invested, or not, in said issue; one would think.

Aaaahh ... BangToaBoy you are really struggling to defend your pals in the Tuk Tuk union. Well, up to you ... :whistling:

I don't see BTB's comments as defending the actions of the Tuk Tuk mobs. He's just pointing out that comparing prices in tourist areas with prices in rural or city areas is irrelevant to the thread and pointless. I agree.

The problem is the Tuk Tuk drivers' readiness to inflict extreme mob violence on farang tourists with impunity. That's what this thread is about, not bargain transport tips!

Im all for a tuk tuks union, I could show them a few tricks....shaking down tourists is small biscuits....shake down the owners....now that would be cool

Would it be too much to ask whether the Tuk-Tuk drivers who beat the German national almost to death were arrested, or even questioned, by the police? It isn’t like the Tuk-Tuk drivers are dogs or other such animals, that is, naturally occurring phenomena, that can’t be expected to conduct themselves in a not vicious and non-violent way, is it?

Or, … maybe it is, as far as the Phuket variety is concerned.

One thing is for sure, I will never ever travel to Phuket.

One thing is for sure, I will never ever travel to Phuket.

+1

I only landed at their airport once, because the airline decided all of a sudden to change the original route for Bangkok, if i had knew that before, for sure i wouldn't have bought my ticket, and guess what? for the very short time i was there, the airport immigration managed to do a mess up with my visa!!

No chances i will ever go there untill there is a REAL change, it's much more safe to go trekking alone at night in the remotest part of the thai jungles right now, those wild animals you will encounter are much more "humans" than a large part of their population, plus they don't have double standards too.....

WHYBOTHER hit the nail on the head.

The simple solution -- meters on the commercial vehicles.

Bangkok taxi drivers sometimes get up to mischief but that is inevitable because of the numbers.

Bangkok taxis are a great service. Currently the best it has ever been.

I once calculated you could take taxis for about 10 years before it equaled the cost of owning and operating a private vehicle for that amount of time.

Tourist areas should follow the Bangkok model and put meters on every commercial vehicle -- meaning vehicles for hire with driver, such as taxi, baht bus, song taew, tuk-tuk but perhaps with the exception of motorcycle taxis.

Edited by plumeria

Maj Gen Pekad said the event was a regrettable “crime of passion” that could happen anywhere when tempers get out of control.

No it isn't, it is a crime of arrogant stupidity committed by a bunch of brainless thugs who assume they are untouchable.

Start touching them.

I dont think that it is just an assumption, their immunity is paid for

And that is the point isn't it.

For those who want to argue about about the price per km or if there are more mugs in BKK or Phucket, fine, carry on, please do so.

The simple fact of the matter in this case is that there are two sets of scammers in existence here, the BIB and the Tuk Tuks, they have a symbiotic relationship and they both have either directly or indirectly a common source of unearned income,

Break that chain first, if not, everything else is just yak yak.

On a slightly different note but still pertinant.

Where I take the car to be cleaned the price has just jumped from 250B to 800B.

Inflation or another rip off?

Phuket is beginning to tire me

Chao Fa West right side coming from the circle & just before the bend that leads to the traffic lights. There are used cars for sale next to it.

Rediculous comments compairing the price to a 'once in motion' BKK price of 14 baht won't help.

Pretty simple solution. Metered taxia in Phuket. The Tuk Tuks, Motorbike Taxis and Meter taxis run side by side in every other developed area of Thailand. Phuket is well beyond the quiet beachside community that can argue that taxis will ruin the atmosphere. Let the TukTuks compete in a free market without the support of corrupt police and thug mafias. They will not, because they can not. I used to love Phuket. I was even part owner of a business there. I sold it, and I tell everyone that will listen to avoid Phuket like the plague that it is. There are plenty of other beaches in Thailand with good honest business men who deserve my support. The savage mafia thugs of Phuket can starve to death and the world will be better off. The only place worse than Phuket now is Pattaya. Pretty soon Phuket will be populated by the same sort, Cheapskates, Russians, Africans and Pedophiles.

14 kilometer Aircon Taxi ride in Khon Kaen costs 200 baht. A little further than 800 Meters.

Go further in to the sticks and you will go the same distance for 100 baht. I don"t see the relevance. Not like for like.

Bang,

Please explain why then, Phuket has to have these exorbitant prices for simple transport..... It's over the top!

Aaaahh ... BangToaBoy you are really struggling to defend your pals in the Tuk Tuk union. Well, up to you ... :whistling:

I don't see BTB's comments as defending the actions of the Tuk Tuk mobs. He's just pointing out that comparing prices in tourist areas with prices in rural or city areas is irrelevant to the thread and pointless. I agree.

The problem is the Tuk Tuk drivers' readiness to inflict extreme mob violence on farang tourists with impunity. That's what this thread is about, not bargain transport tips!

Hi all

10 years ago I was quoted 1,000 baht from patong to phuket town, No I never used him,but it seems they have just got worse 200 baht for a minimum fare is outrageous, go anywhere in the world and you wont have to pay that money.

200 baht is a bit more than 4pounds sterling in London if the meter dropped at 4 pounds more than half the cabbies would not be working.

phupaman

The meeting became the forum for the strongest comments yet by the Phuket-based honorary consuls, who urged Phuket Provincial Police Commander Pekad Tantipong to take action and bring to justice tuk-tuk and taxi drivers who assault foreign tourists.

Good to see this problem being aired once gain. Will progress be made... unlikely.

Never, it's already forgotten.

On a slightly different note but still pertinant.

Where I take the car to be cleaned the price has just jumped from 250B to 800B.

Inflation or another rip off?

Phuket is beginning to tire me

If you are having your car cleaned for 800bath, then please look in a mirror.

An 800 metre taxi ride in Bangkok starts at 35 Baht, and would typically end at 35 Baht. A tuk tuk in Bangkok would be unlikely to start at 14 Baht. But nevertheless, 200 Baht takes us to the airport, and further. So if not fully accurate to compare distance-based charges with local price structures, what comparison would be accurate? Extortion? Racketeering? The minimum of B200 is ludicrous in the extreme, Major General Pekad, so short of admitting to that, you are defending the indefensible.

As for describing it as a crime of passion, you've watched too much TV. That is, or was, a peculiarly French defence to murder, and in no way can be used to describe what happened in Phuket, particularly when we are talking here of cowardly mob mentality. It is less appropriate still to use the term to describe a shooting over 1,82. Only a homicidal maniac reacts like that.

One possible solution to the tuk tuk problem would be to do what Pattaya has done, and introduce taxi meters to Phuket. The other, of course, is to forget Phuket as a holiday destination.

Edited by JohnAllan

14 kilometer Aircon Taxi ride in Khon Kaen costs 200 baht. A little further than 800 Meters.

Go further in to the sticks and you will go the same distance for 100 baht. I don"t see the relevance. Not like for like.

And come further away 'from the sticks', as you put it, all the way to Bangkok, and . . . No, it most certainly isn't like-for-like. So how DOES Phuket justify the prices?

Of course, the other side of the coin, so say, is the great majority of wonderful Thais, including many tuk tuk drivers and taxi drivers, who are decent, warm hearted, and a source of pride to Thailand. If not for the right reasons - that of upholding the law - the police should find the perpetrators and charge them with assault, bodily harm, and whatever else, to demonstrate to the decent majority that they will not allow this sort of behaviour to drag their names through the mud.

On Sukhumvit Rd there are plenty of cheap buses or the Skytrain. The fares on them are not dependent on the weather or traffic congestion.

Yes he didn't specify by taxi did he?

Every week I do a shopping run to Carrefour. Outbound I take a 10 Baht Songtauw then a 14 Baht bus, on the return I take a taxi, 95 Baht.

Obviously I understand the system, tourists get ripped off because they don't, I can remember we had a similar problem in London years ago with minicabs.