Phuket Consuls Let Loose Over German Bashing

webfact

Because the two places are completely different, and what is the point in discussing the price of taxi ride without counting the metre starting price?

Is it possible to travel 800 meters in BKK for 14 baht?

OK ... how about, in Bangkok, it will cost 35 baht to travel 800 metres ... including the meter starting price.

Quite so....and why even bother putting in the meter starting price for Bangkok when Phuket doesn't use meters?

The point is, why does it cost 200 baht for something in Phuket that only costs 35 baht in Bangkok?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btb says tourist areas are designed for two things,for businesses to make money,that is by any way they can,second for tourists to enjoy,does that mean getting you head kicked in.havnt you heard the saying dont kill the goose that lays the golden egg. they have already stopped layin.

14 kilometer Aircon Taxi ride in Khon Kaen costs 200 baht. A little further than 800 Meters.

Go further in to the sticks and you will go the same distance for 100 baht. I don"t see the relevance. Not like for like.

But bangkok is far more like for like.. It has a high cost of living similar to Phuket.

So the flag fall is 35b and the movement is 14b.. So in a similar cost of living place, a better quality of service (air co car), costs ballpark 50b.. And yet its 4 times that on Phuket.

Like for like.

EDIT :: And more people visit and live in bangkok.. So the amount of users is a bit moot no ??

Because the two places are completely different, and what is the point in discussing the price of taxi ride without counting the metre starting price?

Not exactly the point is it.

The bottom line is that the minimum fare in Bkk is 35Baht. Taxi meters in Bkk are not consistently callibrated but there is a good chance the meter would still be on 35Baht at a distance of 800metres (without waits at lights etc), or perhaps up to 45Baht (guessing of course).

35 / 45Baht vs 200Baht - a big difference.

why argue for 100 baht not worth it, just not worth your life. Getting that heated then just pay it and live.

My thoughts, I know the Thai's and it is just not worth anyone's life.

The meeting became the forum for the strongest comments yet by the Phuket-based honorary consuls, who urged Phuket Provincial Police Commander Pekad Tantipong to take action and bring to justice tuk-tuk and taxi drivers who assault foreign tourists.

Good to see this problem being aired once gain. Will progress be made... unlikely.

Meanwhile, back on the farm, things go on as usual. I wonder, do the tuk tuk drivers and their ilk even know about this meeting? Perhaps, were they consoled by some high-up that this situation would be taken care of, and for them not to worry?

I still say that the writing is on the wall as clear as daylight. The gauntlet has been thrown down by the Policeman - dancing his way across the floor of the meeting; avoiding any responsibility in the allegations, providing absolutely no results in the "investigation", and downplaying with digression. Foreigners be advised! You're dealing with made men.

Aaah ... good point. And where is that meter in a Patong Tuk Tuk ???

Horses for courses. Different place different set up.

Do you have a Tuk tuk in Phuket? just wondered

Meanwhile, back on the farm, things go on as usual. I wonder, do the tuk tuk drivers and their ilk even know about this meeting? Perhaps, were they consoled by some high-up that this situation would be taken care of, and for them not to worry?

I still say that the writing is on the wall as clear as daylight. The gauntlet has been thrown down by the Policeman - dancing his way across the floor of the meeting; avoiding any responsibility in the allegations, providing absolutely no results in the "investigation", and downplaying with digression. Foreigners be advised! You're dealing with made men.

Was that "made men" or "paid men"

Maj Gen Pekad said the event was a regrettable “crime of passion” that could happen anywhere when tempers get out of control.

No it isn't, it is a crime of arrogant stupidity committed by a bunch of brainless thugs who assume they are untouchable.

Start touching them.

I dont think that it is just an assumption, their immunity is paid for

Perhaps Phuket has this revolving door problem, prices are high because of cost of "tea money", "tea money" is expensive because transport costs are high and drivers can afford it? just a theory, it does however stand out like dogs balls, that all thugs in business in tourist areas are protected from the consequences of their actions.

Pathetic comments from the police who obviously have no interest in clearing up the very profitable tuk tuk scam which must line a lot of police and local government pockets, as well as making public transport unaffordable for local residents.

It is time the embassies published strongly worded advisories not to visit sewers like Patong. Nothing will ever happen until the mafia and police are hurt in the pocket.

In my mooban I can take a songteaw out to the mainroad, a distance right at 800 meters for 5 baht, granted, this is in the 'burbs of Bangkok.

That's cool. I can assure you though that if 3.5 million people visit your moo bahn next year that will soon change.

Really ... in most places more volume = lower unit prices.

Not in any of the Third World states I have visited... this is why they remain... 3rd world and 3rd rate.

The job of the consuls should be to protect their citizens, not enjoy a free vacation in Phuket at taxpayer expense. To that end, it appears that the government in Phuket is involved in these scams up to their necks, or these scams would have been knocked out a long time ago. So the next step is to have the consuls warn their citizens prior to their arrival here. I suggest a handout to all their respective citizens on the airplanes that are coming here to warn them about the various scams. When world wide news of that comes out, the scams will stop the following day....

The job of the consuls should be to protect their citizens, not enjoy a free vacation in Phuket at taxpayer expense. To that end, it appears that the government in Phuket is involved in these scams up to their necks, or these scams would have been knocked out a long time ago. So the next step is to have the consuls warn their citizens prior to their arrival here. I suggest a handout to all their respective citizens on the airplanes that are coming here to warn them about the various scams. When world wide news of that comes out, the scams will stop the following day....

Yep, and warn them of mob cowards. ;)

I just came back from a songteow ride from my place (onnut soi 30) to Paradise Park (Sri Nakarin road) that is more than 10 km for only 6 thb.

Why should it be different in Phuket?? Because it is the crime capital in south east Asia??

Au contraire, mon cher!

Chainsaw is right. Comparing prices in the rest of the country to Phuket is comparing apples and oranges. Just the rents alone are outrageous compared to anywhere else, especially in Patong. Everything is more expensive here; food, transport, housing, clothing... you name it.

But the violence is simply crazy, and it has to be stopped. It's common knowledge now that this is a standing problem. And, regarding Pattaya, they had the same problem up there years ago and eventually got it pretty much worked out. Phuket has yet to do that, but Pattaya is a different place.

Keep in mind that Phuket locals feel that they have certain rights to control certain businesses, and the government tends to agree with them and support them--remember, they are the voters. Examples--besides tuk-tuks--are beach umbrella services and longtail (or other marine) services. These concessions have always been given to 'local people' to control and many make a very nice living off their little monopolies. They may hire outsiders to run parts of the business for them, but the concession remains in their control. You can call this Co-Op, mafia, union, or a business coalition. Wrong or right, this is the way Phuket has always been, protective to the locals, allowing them to make a good living because they were born here. Locals are also given access to cheaper rents in some areas, controlled by the government, so they can set up food stalls or restaurants.

Obviously we're not having the same problems with umbrella concessionaires and longtail boats, as we have with the jet skis and tuk tuks--though they are equally 'mafia.' I am not sure why that is, but whatever the reasons are, it seems to me that the tuk tuks could take some lessons in civility from their brothers on the beach.

Otherwise, eventually, everyone will tire of it and they will go the way of the old rip-off baht busses in Pattaya. This would be good for the tourist to be sure, but the locals would lose out on a good living on a very expensive island. Don't get me wrong, I am not defending the tuk tuks, but they have a lot to fight for (pardon the pun.) They are going about protecting their businesses in the wrong way and I don't understand why they don't see it.

Curious. What do Thai people pay for the same 800m ride?

Thai people in Phuket would pay 10 to 20 baht maxi for same distance using moto-dop.

Same moto-dop would charge any tourist 100+ Baht for same ride, Tuk tuk 200 Baht...

Double pricing is becoming a science even more than a standard...

Very much agree with SiamDiver, though I can confirm that beach chairs attendant can also become aggressive to tourist, just do not become as violent as tuktuk driver.

Though many ladies have seen their bags and towels flying in some arguments.

Edited by CantSpell

No it would cost... 50B tops.

What I found outrageous is that the minutes from the prior meeting were doctored to filter out all the negative aspects that were discussed, so the powers that be in BKK don't need to be bothered by what's really happening in Phuket. Too funny that the Maj General then said he was sorry about that and will try to make sure the minutes don't get doctored again! He's not on the payroll is he :).

Yesterday morning i was listening to the news on the royal radio in english and there is a politician from bangkok who came and his concern with phuket wasnt with the scenery but said that phuket is full of greed and that people are horrible beings and things wont get better untill people are taught to go for good service and return service instead of trying to milk everyone as fast as possible. Referring to the average phuketer who is struggling money wise recently. I was surprised to see a thai person say publicly such harsh and true things.. i first thought i was listening to a western comedy show.

A-h-h-h-h-h, then you woke up and realised that you were dreaming!:lol:

I agree that the tuk tuk mafia is a problem in Phuket. But why did this guy get beat up? No one seems to want to mention the reason why, which was:

"Admitting that the German victim was drunk at the time and had a role in instigating the incident,.."

So while no one deserves to get beat to a pulp over any amount of money (dutifully mentioned for PC purposes), this guy wasn't exactly innocent. He was most likely being belligerent and asking for it. Again, no one deserves.....you know the rest.

The job of the consuls should be to protect their citizens, not enjoy a free vacation in Phuket at taxpayer expense.

Honorary Consul: usually those are working on a steady job and do that Consul work as "part-time" in addition to their job, no real diplomatic status and they don't have fun on a daily basis: ID dead citizens, rescue drunkards and such from themselves or the police station... You name it..

Edited by CantSpell

At the height of the the "red shirt" troubles in Bangkok last year, Tuk-Tuk drivers were offering to take me anywhere in Bangkok for 25 Baht. It just goes to show how prices will drop when Tuk-Tuk drivers are desperate for customers.

Don't use Tuk-Tuks until they drop their prices considerably.