American Food - Where?

KRS1

Chicken fried steak, a bad cut of meat pounded until it is thin as a dime, soaked in egg, milk and then flour thrown into a skillet with butter and some oil to fry until done. This is all done to hide the taste of a slice of meat that had been hanging on a spit from the back of a chuck wagon driving cattle to market in the 1800s after the civil war. It is smothered in gravy to hide the taste and green color of meat gone bad.

The original American dish would still be better than any beef in Thailand. :(

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chicken fried steak, a bad cut of meat pounded until it is thin as a dime, soaked in egg, milk and then flour thrown into a skillet with butter and some oil to fry until done. This is all done to hide the taste of a slice of meat that had been hanging on a spit from the back of a chuck wagon driving cattle to market in the 1800s after the civil war. It is smothered in gravy to hide the taste and green color of meat gone bad. there is always a reason for the way food is cooked this is probably the best.

I seriously doubt people are still driving around chuckwagons, with meat hanging off.:ermm:

Also, whoever said CM Saloon is either affiliated w the place somehow, or mentally handicapped. It has some of the worst food i have ever had, anywhere

Nonsense they have as high a standard there as many of the farang favorites in town. I seldom go there and am not affiliated in any way, but you have a grudge against them for some reason. Maybe a competitor?

I rate their food as just average but I rate their service as abysmal, it's the only restaurant I've ever been to where the waitress, on a fairly quiet day, has taken orders from the two people at our table and forgotten to deliver one of them to the kitchen!

I seriously doubt people are still driving around chuckwagons, with meat hanging off.:ermm:

No, here they usually just put the meat in the sun and let the flies hang from it...... whistling.gif

...and speaking of 'gravy'..... I do miss some old 'chit on the shingles' (aka.... chipped beef on biscuits smothered in gravy)...yummy stuff!

...and speaking of 'gravy'..... I do miss some old 'chit on the shingles' (aka.... chipped beef on biscuits smothered in gravy)...yummy stuff!

What kind of biscuits, McVities Chocolate Digestive, Cadbury's Chocolate Fingers, Peek Freans Custard Creams, Walkers Shortbread, Burtons Jammy Dodgers, etc. biggrin.gif

Edited by uptheos

What kind of biscuits, McVities Chocolate Digestive, Cadbury's Chocolate Fingers, Peek Freans Custard Creams, Walkers Shortbread, Burtons Jammy Dodgers, etc. biggrin.gif

Just some plain ole buttermilk biscuits.......

post-46350-0-97466400-1315205826_thumb.j

oh man, that looks good another thing i have to eat...But i think finding those kind of biscuits is a no go here in CNX. :(

oh man, that looks good another thing i have to eat...But i think finding those kind of biscuits is a no go here in CNX. :(

That's a biscuit? sick.gif

To qualify as a real biscuit, it has to have a certain dunkability in a nice cup of tea. smile.gif

Edited by uptheos

You'll forgive me for saying so but it looks like the cook combined the main course and the desert course, is that a time saving technique or something!

:lol:

Topic American Food.......three pages of replies and all I've seen or heard so far is 'stuff' drowned in some sort of gravy.........surely there's more to American food (I know there is), but probably not in Chiang Mai.

"The fattest country in the world is the United States, with 30.6% of Americans being obese. Two thirds of Americans are also considered overweight. This national crisis can even be seen in American pets, with 25% of our pooches and cats being classified as overweight. There are currently 13,000 McDonald's Restaurants and 11,000 Burger King Restaurants. These statistics could give anyone a heart attack. Americans eat larger proportions than they are supposed to and technology has wiped physical activities off of their to-do lists. What can save America from drowning in this vat of fat?" .

(Not TV is my guess)

Edited by uptheos

Topic American Food.......three pages of replies and all I've seen or heard so far is 'stuff' drowned in some sort of gravy.........surely there's more to American food (I know there is), but probably not in Chiang Mai. biggrin.gif

Of course there is more to it, but I do have to admit there is something to the stereotype that Americans enjoy foods with lots of sauce.

Topic American Food.......three pages of replies and all I've seen or heard so far is 'stuff' drowned in some sort of gravy.........surely there's more to American food (I know there is), but probably not in Chiang Mai. biggrin.gif

Of course there is more to it, but I do have to admit there is something to the stereotype that Americans enjoy foods with lots of sauce.

Like completely emptying a new bottle of ketchup over their meal. wink.gif

Health Statistics > Obesity (most recent) by country

VIEW DATA: Totals

Definition Source Printable version

Bar Graph Map Correlations

Showing latest available data. Rank Countries Amount

# 1 United States: 30.6%

Health in United States

# 2 Mexico: 24.2%

Health in Mexico

# 3 United Kingdom: 23%

Health in United Kingdom

# 4 Slovakia: 22.4%

Health in Slovakia

# 5 Greece: 21.9%

Health in Greece

# 6 Australia: 21.7%

Health in Australia

# 7 New Zealand: 20.9%

Health in New Zealand

# 8 Hungary: 18.8%

To qualify as a real biscuit, it has to have a certain dunkability in a nice cup of tea. smile.gif

We call those crackers in the states, and we would never ever dunk a biscuit into tea ! :D

Maybe a cookie.

Please don't post lists like this on here, as it makes me drool, and my keyboard isn't waterproof ! :D

Mind you, TOPS is pretty good, for British 'bikkies', especially when they're on-discount. :rolleyes:

We call those crackers in the states, and we would never ever dunk a biscuit into tea ! :D

Maybe a cookie.

It's about time someone told Microsoft that there's no such thing as American English.mad.gif

Crackers are Ritz, Jacobs Cream Crackers, etc, nothing like a biscuit.

These are crackers and they are nothing like a biscuit, so of course you wouldn't dunk them, it makes the cheese go soggy!. biggrin.gif

cheese-crackers-de-87909365.jpg

Edited by uptheos

Sansai Sam'

Showing latest available data. Rank Countries Amount

# 1 United States: 30.6%

Health in United States

Don't be so smug, we've got you licked when it comes to being in the worse shape, so there! wink.gif

They are meant to be in the prime of their lives. But middle-aged Britons have been found to be in the world's worst shape.

They are fatter, more depressed and much more likely to be puffing away on cigarettes than their peers around the globe.

What's more, even the fast-food-loving, exercise-shy Americans – who have long been regarded as the benchmark for unhealthy living – are in better shape.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1X5jvFxeK

Edited by uptheos

Maybe a cookie.

It's about time someone told Microsoft that there's no such thing as American English.mad.gif

Crackers are Ritz, Jacobs Cream Crackers, etc, nothing like a biscuit.

These are crackers and they are nothing like a biscuit, so of course you wouldn't dunk them, it makes the cheese go soggy!. biggrin.gif

cheese-crackers-de-87909365.jpg

Picture of British biscuit please.

American Food? Why, there's

McDonalds

Burger King

KFC

Pizza Hut

Dairy Queen

Every Interstate Highway exit in America has these - and more!

Only thing missing here in CM - Taco Bell

All this talk of American Food - Country Fried Steak (whatever it is), beans and weenies, etc. - has made me glad I've given it up and gone over to the Thai side.

Except, I can agree with this:

I live part time in New mexico and the only American food I miss is the green chili, roasted over a open fire, peeled then chopped up and cooked in a stew with pork, onion, garlic, and tomato. Some people will call this Mexican but it really is new mexican as we are the place that introduced green chilies. these where a staple of the Pueblo Indians who still inhabit this area. Mexican food and tex-mex relie on jalepenos and othe peppers for there kick

Sure would love a big plate of Chili Verde with refritos and tortillas! mmm - that's good eating.

Alas, Miguels is simply a shallow imitation of real Mexican - Old or New.