American Food - Where?

KRS1

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, i've been on a culinary mission the past couple of weeks, it's back to thai food now to appease my wallet.

Just to add. There's nothing at all wrong with Thai food.....no need to appease anything.

There are loads of cheap, nutritious and delicious Thai places around.

One thing Thailand is not short of is good eating places at cheap prices.

Edited by uptheos

Anyway, i've been on a culinary mission the past couple of weeks, it's back to thai food now to appease my wallet.

Just to add. There's nothing at all wrong with Thai food.....no need to appease anything.

The best

Did the OP get his chicken fried steak

LOL...ended up getting fried chicken strips (5 baht each) in front of kad suan kaew at the market between thur-sat (after 4pm), and mashed potatoes at KFC. :lol:

The best

Growing up in the US I get that hankering for fried meat and grease with gravy every once in a while, without that ever lasting burning sensation from Thai spices.

This morning i had fried catfish stirfired in curry paste, chicken with basil and a side of bittermelon soup stuffed with ground pork and vermicelli to extinguish the flame. 50 baht.

West side of the moat, turn left at the last road before the road that leads to the airport, small shop on the left about 50 meters. I often ride around looking for new places to eat. Alot of little gems out there, none of them in the tourist areas.

Think i'll have a burger for dinner. :D

There's about 8-10 big silver pots in front, just walk up and start opening the lids until you see something interesting. :)

Sorry but I am also confused by the original directions. Starting from where on the west side of the moat and what direction are you going?

There's about 8-10 big silver pots in front, just walk up and start opening the lids until you see something interesting. :)

Trying to determine which post this is in response to...???? and what kind of American Food locally would be made available in 8 - 10 silver pots.

I know curiosity killed the cat..... he's not in one of the pots is he??? :D

American Food? Why, there's

McDonalds

Burger King

KFC

Pizza Hut

Dairy Queen

Every Interstate Highway exit in America has these - and more!

Only thing missing here in CM - Taco Bell

Uhhh....no....we have that too. Top floor of Pantip Plaza in the food court area is a fast food 'Mexican' place run by a Thai woman that used to own? manage? a Taco Bell in America. The food is pretty much just like you would find in an American Taco Bell. :bah: I went there one time...

Tell me you're joking, Taco Bell used to be great comfort food in the 1970's and I admit to eating substantial numbers of their taco's, a bit like White Castle in Detroit, hugely unhealthy but a "love it or leave it" flavor/addiction - I'm off to Pantip tomorrow, tell me I wont be disappointed :)

Taco Bell comfort food? Now I've heard it all. I always thought of it as junk food that gives you heartburn and gas and gives the teenagers pimples! :lol:

This is a representation of American food? Jeez, you guys got to get out more often...

Sorry but I am also confused by the original directions. Starting from where on the west side of the moat and what direction are you going?

Travelling north on the west side of the moat (towards the airport) It's the last soi on your left, before getting to Mahidol road.

It's thai food by the way, so its all over the city, but this place is clean since the pots are covered. The stuffed bittermelon was particularly good, and quite a sizeable chunk for 20 baht.

Think i'll go there today a a matter of fact. :)

Yes, the directions did not make sense. Western should probably be 'Southern moat, going West', but that's just a guess in the absence of information. And it's probably just Thippanet Road, but again that's using my psychic skills, which suck.

You get all these newbies giving directions to other newbies and the result is something you'd get out of a fresh-off-the-plane hippie backpacker at his first Thai island.. yeah dude, past the palm tree near the big rock. :rolleyes:

Yes, the directions did not make sense. Western should probably be 'Southern moat, going West', but that's just a guess in the absence of information. And it's probably just Thippanet Road, but again that's using my psychic skills, which suck.

You get all these newbies giving directions to other newbies and the result is something you'd get out of a fresh-off-the-plane hippie backpacker at his first Thai island.. yeah dude, past the palm tree near the big rock. :rolleyes:

yeah you're right, i dont know what it is about that dam_n moat that always throws my bearings off.:(

"American Food" - hmm. 'Traditional' might mean turkey in both folklore and practice. Younger Americans will include fast food corporate names in their definitions. Geographically, we'll differ. There are differences regarding class. The U.S. of A. nowadays numbers more than 300,000,000 citizens, and fads and fashions shift.

However, OP has illustrated his notion as including Country Fried, Meatloaf, and Green Beans - a clue to his reference points.

IMAO, the meat-lover's Pun Pun will give any non-U.S.ian a marvelous sampling of this authentic type of 'American' food. If on one week, I go there on Monday and the next week on Tuesday, for example, and order the specials, I will within two months have gathered a foundation not relating to the fast-food joints, but more akin to what was once called home cookin'.

(Today, most Americans do not prepare ingredients at home nor frequently sit together at table for a slow dinner. We eat out of the freezer - or boxes, cans, and bottles - all prepared manufactured foods. Or eat out or fetch in corporate foods. or neighborhood 'ethnic food' - Americanized 'Chinese' or 'Mexican,' for examples.)

We all know that 'fast foods' - fish and chips and most popular American foods - are fried and thus fatty or made with fats; ah, gravy. So the other six days during the tests one should make one's own food from copious selections or select healthy Thai.

Then start the same regime at Duke's.

NA=North American=Canadian too, once as limited and uninspired as British.