American Food - Where?

KRS1

I have a hard time understanding why people love their fried foods soaked in gravy.

Presumably people eat fried foods for their crispiness and flavor in the batter. Wouldn't soaking in gravy reduces such? A dip in sauces is ok for me but soaked in gravy?

Three textures to equal that melt in your mouth goodness, the crunch and the creaminess combined with the pliability of beef.

Ideally you would scoop up a gob of mash potatoes, with a chunk of gravy dripping country fried steak.

Two types of gravy = even better ! ...and the green beans must absolutely have to be from a can for nostalgic reasons.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I concede, American food is country fried steak (seems best at Pun Pun), meatloaf or wiener beans.........makes me feel better about British food. biggrin.gif

But you guys eat Spotted Dicks !!!??? :bah:

oh btw, in front of KadSuan Kaew on Thurs-Sat, their is a lady who sells fried chicken strips for 5 baht a piece, absolutely delicious. She sells Shishamo also. (Japanese egg fish)

Im going to get a large mashed potato from KFC and about 10 strips right now...Maybe i'll run into tops and get a can of green beans too. :)

Edited by KRS1

OK I concede, American food is country fried steak (seems best at Pun Pun), meatloaf or wiener beans.........makes me feel better about British food. biggrin.gif

Lucky you. I haven't found anything to make me feel good about British food. Scones are OK, I guess.

Do you know the inverse correlation between proficiency in the kitchen and on the battlefield?

French: not known for military skills or bravery - but they make wonderful cuisine.

Italians: can't even find the battlefield but have the world's best food.

British: fierce, fearless, fighters. The reason? British food - the lads have no will to live.

ROFLMAO :cheesy::w00t:

The OP asks about 'American food' .......where?........and specifies a couple of items.

I'm a bit surprised the OP didn't know that he could get country fried steak at Pun Pun, its on the sponsors menu and Gonzo has recently notified us of a special monthly draw for a free chicken fried steak dinner (which I now know is also country fried steak).

Surely, longing for American food consists of more than just meatloaf and country fried steak......oh and wiener beans? unsure.gif

Never been there and thought Pun Pun was a British place. Never had any notification of any monthly draw either.

Looking at the menu you would see it's American.............Chicken Fried Steak? huh.gif

"As a small way of saying thank you to those of you who have taken the time to stop by The Pun Pun, we have decided to have a little drawing".

"From those who have come by and ID'd themselves and given their TV screen names, we have made a little drawing. Hopefully [good Lord willing and de river don't rise] we will try and do this each month, circumstances permitting. That means if we can afford to do it".......

"This month the dinner will be our popular "Chicken Fried Steak Dinner".

http://www.thaivisa....-life-are-free/

Edited by uptheos

As stated it is cheap cut of meat that is pounded, breaded and pan fried with Crisco®...

And is usually served with a side of Lipitor®

Who says it has to be fried in Crisco? I prefer deep frying to pan frying.

and its not Lipton , it's Suntea :whistling:

The Lipitor touch was a nice one thumbsup.gif

The most widely prescribed anti cholesterol medication.

Edited by uptheos

I offer this in the interest of education only: it may be called country "fried" steak, but there is nothing crispy about it, at least not in the South.

We lavish gravy on these breaded hockey pucks as an aid to swallowing.

No offense intended: I am Southern, and I do enjoy eating country fried steak every few years.

As an aside, there's a possible shortcut that occasionally shows up in the Tops prepared foods case. For reasons unclear to me, they deep fry strips of beef steak, and offer them in small packages. Add a package of dehydrated brown gravy and a can of green beans, and you're on your way. Don't forget the sliced white bread.

I offer this in the interest of education only: it may be called country "fried" steak, but there is nothing crispy about it, at least not in the South.

No offense intended: I am Southern, and I do enjoy eating country fried steak every few years.

As an aside, there's a possible shortcut that occasionally shows up in the Tops prepared foods case. For reasons unclear to me, they deep fry strips of beef steak, and offer them in small packages. Add a package of dehydrated brown gravy and a can of green beans, and you're on your way. Don't forget the sliced white bread.

That good eh? cool.gif

You gotta find a different cook.

...and the green beans must absolutely have to be from a can for nostalgic reasons.

laugh.gif So absolutely true for those of us who didn't grow up on the farm. Really miss that canned, slightly metallic flavor! Was that the lead solder on the can seam I was tasting? ohmy.gif

Also, whoever said CM Saloon is either affiliated w the place somehow, or mentally handicapped. It has some of the worst food i have ever had, anywhere

Nonsense they have as high a standard there as many of the farang favorites in town. I seldom go there and am not affiliated in any way, but you have a grudge against them for some reason. Maybe a competitor?

Pun Pun is also good and do not forget their baked beans and weenies (hotdogs) which are not easy to find here abouts.

m.jpg

Weenies (hotdogs) are easy to find at any 7-11 or Big C/Mackro...

They are sold in Thailand under the trade name "Sausage" :blink:

What exactly is Country fried steak?...

As stated it is cheap cut of meat that is pounded, breaded and pan fried with Crisco®...

And is usually served with a side of Lipitor®

Who says it has to be fried in Crisco? I prefer deep frying to pan frying.

and its not Lipton , it's Suntea :whistling:

LOL he didn't say Lipton, he said L i p i t o r.

American Food - Where?

DIY or The US.

They can't even decide if it's country fried steak or chicken fried steak, no wonder there's not too many options for US food. biggrin.gif

Probably got southern, northern, eastern, western, rockies, redneck, philly, NY. LA, SFC, Windy City and TexMex et al varieties too.

Edited by uptheos

Cuisine and Culture go hand in hand.... this is a culinary disaster, one large protein with one large starch spells a classic incompatible food combination.

This mixture simply does not fully digest ,the remains turn into 'fecal matter' swelling the colon eventually making the average middle-aged American man looking like he is 9-months pregnant. I understand the craving for "back home" food but give your head a shake after eating and realize that while being in Thailand you are living in a fresh food paradise with a very evolve food culture to explore.

Nothing like fried meat with heart clogging creamy gravy loaded with butter :D

cfsu.jpg

it keeps calling my name.

Chicken fried steak, a bad cut of meat pounded until it is thin as a dime, soaked in egg, milk and then flour thrown into a skillet with butter and some oil to fry until done. This is all done to hide the taste of a slice of meat that had been hanging on a spit from the back of a chuck wagon driving cattle to market in the 1800s after the civil war. It is smothered in gravy to hide the taste and green color of meat gone bad. there is always a reason for the way food is cooked this is probably the best.

Donot get me wrong I do like it on ocassion but would not search it out in Thailand, prefer laab, or somtum. When I arrived back in Thailand a few years ago after a 3 year absence my friend ask me if I wanted Italian or Indian. My response was I donot eat Thai in Italy or Indian and do not expect to eat Italian or Indian in Thailand, he says fair enough makes sense to me We went to Rumrost restrurant in Minburi excellent Thai food.

Why any body would eat meat loaf and make a big deal about it is beyond me, ground beef with eggs, salt, pepper, onion, and some bread crumbs then baked in a oven until done. Usually bland as a old boot sole. We where poor growing up and we ate a lot of this, no allure for me.

I live part time in New mexico and the only American food I miss is the green chili, roasted over a open fire, peeled then chopped up and cooked in a stew with pork, onion, garlic, and tomato. Some people will call this Mexican but it really is new mexican as we are the place that introduced green chilies. these where a staple of the Pueblo Indians who still inhabit this area. Mexican food and tex-mex relie on jalepenos and othe peppers for there kick

Then there is the mid-west, can of green beans anyone.