American Food - Where?

KRS1

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alas, Miguels is simply a shallow imitation of real Mexican - Old or New.

To each his own. I met a tourist from Texas a few weeks ago who loves Mexican food and he very much disagreed with you - actually, a lot of people would.

Obviously someone who has never been to Miguel's, I lived in TX for 22 years and Miguel's is as close to authentic Mexican food you will find in Thailand. The other place down the street serves designer burritos for yuppies afraid to get their hands dirty.

To each his own. I met a tourist from Texas a few weeks ago who loves Mexican food and he very much disagreed with you - actually, a lot of people would.

Obviously someone who has never been to Miguel's, I lived in TX for 22 years and Miguel's is as close to authentic Mexican food you will find in Thailand. The other place down the street serves designer burritos for yuppies afraid to get their hands dirty.

Texas is not Mexico, I have lived in Mexico for a few years and the food from Miguels's does not look or tastes like real Mexican food.

note: I am not saying it ain't good food

Texas use to be a part of Mexico before the Mexicans sold it to the US.

Mexico has many different types of cuisine depending on what part of Mexico you are in, and Miguels' is closest to authentic you will find in Thailand with the best quality other than La Monita in BKK.

Where did you eat Mexican food in Texas?

MSPain

MSPain

Houston, san antonio, dallas, harlingen, south padre, el paso, austin, laredo, lubbuck, baytown, bay city, galveston, alvin, san luis pass, south padre, chorpus christi, kemah,

Potosi is my favorite..need more?

MSPain

Houston, san antonio, dallas, harlingen, south padre, el paso, austin, laredo, lubbuck, baytown, bay city, galveston, alvin, san luis pass, south padre, chorpus christi, kemah,

Well, no. I was married to a Mexican for quite some time. I have never had Mexican food in a restaurant that was anything like what she and her family made. I was just wondering what you are guaging your opinions on.

Personally, I don't think most types of food in any restaurant are like home cooked food of the particular variety represented.

MSPain

Mexico has many different types of cuisine depending on what part of Mexico you are in, and Miguels' is closest to authentic you will find in Thailand with the best quality other than La Monita in BKK.

Uh, Mexico didn't 'sell' their land to the U.S. There were a couple 'wars' over that land - first the colonial invaders from the U.S. who wanted to own slaves fought for Texas independence (a fight over slavery rights, nothing more), then there was another war that allowed the U.S. to claim the territories now known as New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, California, Nevada, Utah etc. as 'booty' - or for "Manifiest Destiny" claims. There was the thing known as the "Gadsden Purchase" - but that was just a tiny sliver of land down along the Arizona/Mexico border lands.

Now, as to food - I've eaten at Miguels, and yes, it's as close as you can get to Mexican here in Thailand. But, the flavors aren't the same. If it was in the U.S., I'd be looking for alternative 'mexican restaurants' to eat at over Miguels. And, it's a tad expensive; on par with other 'western' food prices, but expensive considering what local Thai food costs.

Have to agree with hml on restaurant food vs home cooked. The former, in many cases, may be best described as a gut bomb. Mexican as well as most foods found in American homes vary across the country in preparation, appearance and taste. Now you take restaurants across the country servicing the same food with the ethnic makeup of cooks, owners etc, the differences encountered can go up considerably.

About the only meal I have found consistent is breakfast and some can even screw that up.

MSPain

Well, no. I was married to a Mexican for quite some time. I have never had Mexican food in a restaurant that was anything like what she and her family made. I was just wondering what you are guaging your opinions on.

Personally, I don't think most types of food in any restaurant are like home cooked food of the particular variety represented.

MSPain

If your ever in BKK check out La Monita around the chidlom/ploenchit area.

Uh, Mexico didn't 'sell' their land to the U.S. There were a couple 'wars' over that land - first the colonial invaders from the U.S. who wanted to own slaves fought for Texas independence (a fight over slavery rights, nothing more), then there was another war that allowed the U.S. to claim the territories now known as New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, California, Nevada, Utah etc. as 'booty' - or for "Manifiest Destiny" claims. There was the thing known as the "Gadsden Purchase" - but that was just a tiny sliver of land down along the Arizona/Mexico border lands.

Now, as to food - I've eaten at Miguels, and yes, it's as close as you can get to Mexican here in Thailand. But, the flavors aren't the same. If it was in the U.S., I'd be looking for alternative 'mexican restaurants' to eat at over Miguels. And, it's a tad expensive; on par with other 'western' food prices, but expensive considering what local Thai food costs.

ok, thanks for setting me straight...but nevertheless TX use to be a part of Mexico.

ok, thanks for setting me straight...but nevertheless TX use to be a part of Mexico.

Yes, and Virginia was once part of Great Britain.

Yes, and Virginia was once part of Great Britain.

You mean we gave it back? shock1.gif

No, the US stole it in one of it's typically reprehensible imperialistic campaigns.

Geez, you just can't trust those Americans to keep their hands off anything. biggrin.gif

They'll soon be after Yorkshire! wink.gif

Edited by uptheos

They'll soon be after Yorkshire!

No worries. For us, pudding is a dessert food.

That's right "what shall we have for pudding?"

"Pudding"......maybe Bread?

No use whining over it. One consistent theme for at least 225 years is that you guys have been lapdogs for anyone named George W.

Edited by OriginalPoster

They'll soon be after Yorkshire!

No worries. For us, pudding is a dessert food.

That's right "what shall we have for pudding?"

"Pudding"......maybe Bread?

No use whining over it. One consistent theme for at least 225 years is that you guys have been lapdogs for anyone named George W.

Which guys? huh.gif

No, the US stole it in one of it's typically reprehensible imperialistic campaigns.

Talk about whining! :whistling:

Miguels is okay but doesn't compare to my homemade fajitas... biggrin.gif......... and then to add..... who can believe anything a Texan would say....whistling.gif

I'm visiting Las Vegas at the moment and it took me no time at all to get my fill of so called American food. All of it seems to be tasteless and fattening.

I was on the road and stopped at a McDonalds and ordered the fish sandwich meal. The fish sandwich and the fries were worse than what they serve a McDonalds in Chiang Mai. Only the Coke was the same. Maybe removing transfats in US chains removed all the flavor from the fried foods. Some tasty food comes at a detriment to your health.

There are a lot of Mexican restaurants here in Las Vegas but it is still hit and miss. I was taken out to dinner at a locally well known place and the margaritas were great but the food was bland. I recently stopped in at a little Mexican cafe in a strip mall and had some ceviche that was so good I had to order more.

When I was eating ceviche I was wondering if there are any Thai dishes made like this. With all of the seafood, limes, and peppers in Thailand you would think so.

My friend claims that there are 96 Thai restaurants in Las Vegas. I've tried a bunch of them now and its very hard to get them to make the food spicy. Plus they use different ingredients than are used in Thailand. Every other dish is full of bell peppers. I've never seen a dish in Thailand made with bell peppers. I did find a small Thai place that served pad krapao gai with a fried egg that made me feel at home.

I'm visiting Las Vegas at the moment and it took me no time at all to get my fill of so called American food. All of it seems to be tasteless and fattening.

I was on the road and stopped at a McDonalds and ordered the fish sandwich meal.

Well, what a surprise. There are plenty of great restaurants in America and probably even in Las Vegas, but McDonalds s a cheap, fast food place and most people do not expect anything more from them. :blink:

In times past when driving the highways of the US and you want a decent meal, you stop at truck spots. With the interstate system you need to know what exit to take, etc. as interstate highways are the main route for truckers. Never noticed too many skinny truckers and never saw 18 wheelers parked at fast food joints. McDonald s, etc. On the state roads check the small towns for muddy pickups at small res truants, farmers seem to find good places to eat, again not too many at fast food joints.

Truckers have to eat where there is parking for 18 wheelers. Most fast food places don't have that.

I guess the quality of small town restaurants depends on the region. I was usually disappointed that out there where the food is grown, it gets tortured in the kitchen.

Couldn't wait to get back to bigger towns with better choices - such as a great salad.

I was on the road and stopped at a McDonalds and ordered the fish sandwich meal.

Well, what a surprise. There are plenty of great restaurants in America and probably even in Las Vegas, but McDonalds s a cheap, fast food place and most people do not expect anything more from them. :blink:

I agree. Despite my banter here regarding US cuisine, I found during my 7 years in NA so many wonderful restaurants with great service.