American Food - Where?

KRS1

Ok last food post for a while, I know about Dukes but do they have Country fried steak or meatloaf with mashed potatoes, gravy and greenbeans? Any other places serving up good American Food with large portions?

Yes i know this stuff is easy to make, and i usually make it myself, but current living environment doesn't allow it. Too many spices lately, time for some good old fashioned comfort food.

It's about that time to get my fix. Please don't make me go to KFC. :jap:

Edited by KRS1

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP was posted at almost midnight when many members are, indeed, sleeping.

Butter is Better posted this recently and it fits the bill. The portions are not huge, but the quality is very good.

Effective immediately the Meals on Wheels 4U service includes the new hours and new dinner items for the Chang Klan Branch of Butter is Better. We hope you will come in or order for delivery from our expanded menu including MEATLOAF AND MASHED POTATOES, PORK CHOP WITH APPLESAUCE AND FINGER POTATOES, SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS, HUNGARIAN GOULASH AND MORE!!

Pun Pun is also good and do not forget their baked beans and weenies (hotdogs) which are not easy to find here abouts.

m.jpg

Edited by Ulysses G.

There seem to be so many versions of American food, from so many periods in time and so many regions, that the variation is staggering.

I like the opportunity to try dishes I've never had (or heard of before), so it would be nice to know where 'real' American food is?smile.gif

KRS1- What exactly is Country fried steak?

Edited by uptheos

Country fried steak is a steak that's been pounded thin with a meat tenderizer, then battered and deep fried like fried chicken, smothered with heaps of country gravy.

Some people call it Chicken fried steak and some use chicken, but then its just a fried chicken fillet !

Country Fried Steak is when you are grilling a steak outdoors, drop it in the grass, and have to take it away from your dog. After rinsing it off, you complete the grilling. That is Country Fried Steak. Or maybe it is a dish consisting of a piece of chicken or tenderized steak, coated with seasoned flour and pan-fried. It's been a while -- I can't remember which recipe is correct.

Country fried steak is a steak that's been pounded thin with a meat tenderizer, then battered and deep fried like fried chicken, smothered with heaps of country gravy.

Some people call it Chicken fried steak and some use chicken, but then its just a fried chicken fillet !

The fried chicken fillet is otherwise known as chicken fried chicken.

Chicken Fried Steak is a piece of steak (steak is beef not pork, chicken etc.) that is cooked similar to Fried Chicken by breading and pan frying (but is pretty good deep fired too!) It's similar to Wiener Schnitzel. A fillet is a boneless piece of meat, but can also apply to any food that is cut in a strip such as a tomato fillet. "REAL" American food is food that is cooked from American products in the style of American cooking. But locally I also like Dukes, Pun Pun and Butter is Better for American Food.

Where is Pun Pun ?

When i google it there is only a vegie restaurant on the map.

Pun Pun Guesthouse

Charoenrat Rd or Faham Rd, same road changes name some where around there

on the river side

about 30 meters south of Doi Saket Rd

So that puts it between the Nakornping Bridge and the Rama IX Bridge but much closer to the Rama IX

easy to find, good food, good prices, fine service

The OP asks about 'American food' .......where?........and specifies a couple of items.

I'm a bit surprised the OP didn't know that he could get country fried steak at Pun Pun, its on the sponsors menu and Gonzo has recently notified us of a special monthly draw for a free chicken fried steak dinner (which I now know is also country fried steak).

Surely, longing for American food consists of more than just meatloaf and country fried steak......oh and wiener beans? unsure.gif

Edited by uptheos

The Dukes. ONLY The Dukes. Not sure about chicken fried steak, but they have a good chicken fried chicken. Also, whoever said CM Saloon is either affiliated w the place somehow, or mentally handicapped. It has some of the worst food i have ever had, anywhere

As already mentioned, there are 3 or 4 restaurants who serve what is called American meals. Having eaten in all of them, over the years, Pun Pun is my choice. I think he is the only one serving a real chicken fried steak (yummy).

The difference between country fried and chicken fried is most likely the latter has a more crisp coating after cooking. Never knew there was such a thing as chicken fried steak until I saw it on a menu close to 60 years ago, menus were small then so there were no pictures or descriptions of each dish. The name says it all.

I have a hard time understanding why people love their fried foods soaked in gravy.

Presumably people eat fried foods for their crispiness and flavor in the batter. Wouldn't soaking in gravy reduces such? A dip in sauces is ok for me but soaked in gravy?

Soaking in gravy could make the batter or breading soggy but if done correctly will add to the dish. It has to be really crispy and the gravy thick and not sit around before being eaten.

I have a hard time understanding why people love their fried foods soaked in gravy.

Presumably people eat fried foods for their crispiness and flavor in the batter. Wouldn't soaking in gravy reduces such? A dip in sauces is ok for me but soaked in gravy?

Pun Pun is also good and do not forget their baked beans and weenies (hotdogs) which are not easy to find here abouts.

m.jpg

Weenies (hotdogs) are easy to find at any 7-11 or Big C/Mackro...

They are sold in Thailand under the trade name "Sausage" :blink:

What exactly is Country fried steak?...

As stated it is cheap cut of meat that is pounded, breaded and pan fried with Crisco®...

And is usually served with a side of Lipitor®

Edited by sfokevin

OK I concede, American food is country fried steak (seems best at Pun Pun), meatloaf or wiener beans.........makes me feel better about British food. biggrin.gif

No you're mistaken. That's American redneck food and 1950's Middle America retro food. You were right with your first observation about the incredible regional diversity of American food.

Here are some classics -- (just scratching the surface)

New England Clam Chowder

Manhattan Clam Chowder

Maryland Crab Cakes

Southern Fried Chicken

Cajun Blackened Redfish

Italian Beef Sandwiches (Chicago Style)

New York Deli Corned Beef on Rye (also Reubens, pastrami, etc.)

San Francisco Italian Seafood stew -- Cioppino

Sourdough bread

California style burrito (this is American, not Mexican)

Chicago deep dish pizza

BBQ! (many regional styles and sauces)

Red beans and rice, Jambalaya (New Orleans)

Yes, hamburgers

Grits and shrimp (low country deep south)

Cold smoked Northwest pacific salmon

Philadelphia Cheesesteak

New Mexico Blue Corn based Mexican related dishes

Rocky Mountain Oysters (deep fried balls)

Philadelphia Hoagie sandwich

Lobster roll / Lobster Newburg

OK, you won't find most of this stuff in Chiang Mai ...

Country Fried Steak is when you are grilling a steak outdoors, drop it in the grass, and have to take it away from your dog. After rinsing it off, you complete the grilling. That is Country Fried Steak. Or maybe it is a dish consisting of a piece of chicken or tenderized steak, coated with seasoned flour and pan-fried. It's been a while -- I can't remember which recipe is correct.

Thanks for this. When I attended backyard barbecues at the homes of American friends, I always wondered what the dogs were for. :)

m.jpg

Weenies (hotdogs) are easy to find at any 7-11 or Big C/Mackro...

They are sold in Thailand under the trade name "Sausage" :blink:

What exactly is Country fried steak?...

As stated it is cheap cut of meat that is pounded, breaded and pan fried with Crisco®...

And is usually served with a side of Lipitor®

Who says it has to be fried in Crisco? I prefer deep frying to pan frying.

and its not Lipton , it's Suntea :whistling:

OK I concede, American food is country fried steak (seems best at Pun Pun), meatloaf or wiener beans.........makes me feel better about British food. biggrin.gif

Lucky you. I haven't found anything to make me feel good about British food. Scones are OK, I guess.

Do you know the inverse correlation between proficiency in the kitchen and on the battlefield?

French: not known for military skills or bravery - but they make wonderful cuisine.

Italians: can't even find the battlefield but have the world's best food.

British: fierce, fearless, fighters. The reason? British food - the lads have no will to live.

Edited by amexpat

The OP asks about 'American food' .......where?........and specifies a couple of items.

I'm a bit surprised the OP didn't know that he could get country fried steak at Pun Pun, its on the sponsors menu and Gonzo has recently notified us of a special monthly draw for a free chicken fried steak dinner (which I now know is also country fried steak).

Surely, longing for American food consists of more than just meatloaf and country fried steak......oh and wiener beans? unsure.gif

Never been there and thought Pun Pun was a British place. Never had any notification of any monthly draw either.

Edited by KRS1