American Food - Where?

KRS1

What's NA? Narcotics Anonymous??

I'm visiting Las Vegas at the moment and it took me no time at all to get my fill of so called American food. All of it seems to be tasteless and fattening.

I was on the road and stopped at a McDonalds and ordered the fish sandwich meal.

Well, what a surprise. There are plenty of great restaurants in America and probably even in Las Vegas, but McDonalds s a cheap, fast food place and most people do not expect anything more from them. :blink:

I agree. Despite my banter here regarding US cuisine, I found during my 7 years in NA so many wonderful restaurants with great service.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

American Food? Why, there's

McDonalds

Burger King

KFC

Pizza Hut

Dairy Queen

Every Interstate Highway exit in America has these - and more!

Only thing missing here in CM - Taco Bell

Uhhh....no....we have that too. Top floor of Pantip Plaza in the food court area is a fast food 'Mexican' place run by a Thai woman that used to own? manage? a Taco Bell in America. The food is pretty much just like you would find in an American Taco Bell. :bah: I went there one time...

Truckers have to eat where there is parking for 18 wheelers. Most fast food places don't have that.

I guess the quality of small town restaurants depends on the region. I was usually disappointed that out there where the food is grown, it gets tortured in the kitchen.

Couldn't wait to get back to bigger towns with better choices - such as a great salad.

Salads come in a dessert bowl, followed by the real meal in small town USA. (rabbit food/something to pick on as you wait on the gut bomb.) Granted most small towns do not have a 5 star chef working in the kitchen, but do serve a meal that will carry you to the next one. I would not walk into the local Thai village whiskey shop and ask for a fine wine, nor a prime aged steak, cooked to my order. Having eaten locally prepared as well as in 4 and 5 star establishments in several countries of the world, I stand by my earlier post, home prepared meals may be plain jane but the end result is what is normally expected.

Texas use to be a part of Mexico before the Mexicans sold it to the US.

Mexico has many different types of cuisine depending on what part of Mexico you are in, and Miguels' is closest to authentic you will find in Thailand with the best quality other than La Monita in BKK.

Uh, Mexico didn't 'sell' their land to the U.S. There were a couple 'wars' over that land - first the colonial invaders from the U.S. who wanted to own slaves fought for Texas independence (a fight over slavery rights, nothing more), then there was another war that allowed the U.S. to claim the territories now known as New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, California, Nevada, Utah etc. as 'booty' - or for "Manifiest Destiny" claims. There was the thing known as the "Gadsden Purchase" - but that was just a tiny sliver of land down along the Arizona/Mexico border lands.

Now, as to food - I've eaten at Miguels, and yes, it's as close as you can get to Mexican here in Thailand. But, the flavors aren't the same. If it was in the U.S., I'd be looking for alternative 'mexican restaurants' to eat at over Miguels. And, it's a tad expensive; on par with other 'western' food prices, but expensive considering what local Thai food costs.

You left a bit out of your history lesson,These colonial invaders you mention where actually given land by Mexicco to farm and develope this area, the recuriter for these people back in the states was Sam Houston. Texas became a Republic after defeating the Mexican army at San jacinto. They where a republic for ten years and voted to become part of the United States with the right to pull out. No purchase but a free election. This became known as the Florida scam, send in settlers and then create a problem and become part of the US.

This same senario took place in Florida when it was part of Spain

In southern New Mexico a few people celebrate Cinco De mayo as to the 4th of July they are still protesting. These are decendants of the people who lived in this are when the gadsden purchase took place

Mexico is fortunate to even be a free standing nation, as the US (army/loose term) made a sashay deep into the interior chasing the Mexican bandits turned politicians, who carried a rag tag army with them. The Texans got homesick and returned back to their promised land for the cuisine of chicken fried steak and Tex Mex food. Just a little bit of Texas history as passed down thru the years.

McDonalds

Burger King

KFC

Pizza Hut

Dairy Queen

Uhhh....no....we have that too. Top floor of Pantip Plaza in the food court area is a fast food 'Mexican' place run by a Thai woman that used to own? manage? a Taco Bell in America. The food is pretty much just like you would find in an American Taco Bell. :bah: I went there one time...

Im afraid to go in that place, looks like a stomach ache waiting to happen.

Never noticed too many skinny truckers

Yeah, that's because they sit on their fat <deleted> all day long......... BTW, I used to work at a truck stop during my teen years and I recall most truckers were 'speed freaks' blink.gif (not talking the fast traveling type) and very few without hemorrhoids. unsure.gif

McDonalds

Burger King

KFC

Pizza Hut

Dairy Queen

Tell me you're joking, Taco Bell used to be great comfort food in the 1970's and I admit to eating substantial numbers of their taco's, a bit like White Castle in Detroit, hugely unhealthy but a "love it or leave it" flavor/addiction - I'm off to Pantip tomorrow, tell me I wont be disappointed :)

McDonalds

Burger King

KFC

Pizza Hut

Dairy Queen

Tell me you're joking, Taco Bell used to be great comfort food in the 1970's and I admit to eating substantial numbers of their taco's, a bit like White Castle in Detroit, hugely unhealthy but a "love it or leave it" flavor/addiction - I'm off to Pantip tomorrow, tell me I wont be disappointed :)

Taco Bell comfort food? Now I've heard it all. I always thought of it as junk food that gives you heartburn and gas and gives the teenagers pimples! :lol:

Indeed it wasn't me that came up with this designer language for food and I do agree that TB is probably appropriately categorized as Junk Food. But the term "comfort food" is used to show that a particular dish is that one step above junk food - in the UK a dish such as Shepherds Pie is labelled as comfort food and I totally disagree that's appropriate, I think however it's meant to refer to anything that isn't meat and three veg (which is really what Shepherds Pie is), confusing.

I always thought comfort food was food that you knew and are familiar with and is the old go back when all else fails, or when you don't want to take any chances with something new or weird.

Shepherds Pie is labelled as comfort food and I totally disagree that's appropriate, I think however it's meant to refer to anything that isn't meat and three veg (which is really what Shepherds Pie is), confusing.

Agreed, but have you seen how expensive Shepherd's are becoming now?

Taco Bell is a drunken food after a long night out.

Taco Bell Nacho Supreme please, with extra hot sauce, love that fake cheese !

as another poster mentioned: White Castle - the ultimate drunk food. A box of sliders after a long night of bar crawling ... a perfect ending.

Taco Bell is a drunken food after a long night out.

Taco Bell Nacho Supreme please, with extra hot sauce, love that fake cheese !

as another poster mentioned: White Castle - the ultimate drunk food. A box of sliders after a long night of bar crawling ... a perfect ending.

OK I'll bite, what's a box of sliders?

re ... The Shepherd's Pie, house made, in Rimping airport plaza, are B85 and quite tasty.

they call it cottage pie but i agree 100 %

stir in a good portion of hp sauce and its yummy : )

dave2

There's a big difference between Shepherd's and Cottage Pies as any Brit will tell you. Shepherds is self explanatory but I'm not sure what part of the cottage is used. biggrin.gif

dave 2..... you kidding me mate......... no-one has a picture of Rimping's Shepherds pie..........you just nipped down there didn't you? cool.gif

Mini hamburgers.

xwhite-castle-slyders.jpg.pagespeed.ic.FhhBv6vT6h.jpg

We take a look at the phenomenon of Sliders – small, soft and irresistible little burgers served by the half dozen. Where did Sliders come from and what makes a Slider so good?

Believe it or not there was a time when America was put off by the idea of eating a quick sandwich filled with a warm ground beef patty. This dark era of mankind before the cheeseburger was when Walter Anderson saw an opportunity to change the American public’s perception of eating ground beef by founding a new pure chain of fast food restaurants.

Cheese Burger.net

Mini hamburgers.

We take a look at the phenomenon of Sliders – small, soft and irresistible little burgers served by the half dozen. Where did Sliders come from and what makes a Slider so good?

Believe it or not there was a time when America was put off by the idea of eating a quick sandwich filled with a warm ground beef patty. This dark era of mankind before the cheeseburger was when Walter Anderson saw an opportunity to change the American public’s perception of eating ground beef by founding a new pure chain of fast food restaurants.

Cheese Burger.net

But surely since the obese revolution, no self respecting American would be wimpish enough to order a box of mini hamburgers.........maybe a box of super duper whoppers......with cheese? biggrin.gif

But surely since the obese revolution, no self respecting American would be wimpish enough to order a box of mini hamburgers.........maybe a box of super duper whoppers......with cheese? biggrin.gif

Nah, these are more convenient and tidier. Just pop the whole thing in your mouth and no dripping all over the table and shirt. :D

Mini hamburgers.

Cheese Burger.net

You have to remember that sliders sold for one dollar, for a dozen, in 1972!

Nah, these are more convenient and tidier. Just pop the whole thing in your mouth and no dripping all over the table and shirt. :D

But that's what they do with the whoppers!

They get them in like the 'pushers' on the Japanese subways! biggrin.gif

Edited by uptheos

re ... you kidding me mate......... no-one has a picture of Rimping's Shepherds pie..........you just nipped down there didn't you?

i did ... and naahhh i didnt ... the pic was taken at 6 22 pm 26 june 11 and that info is embeded somewhere in the picture permently ... i think ?

dave2

ps ... those sliders look good : )

post-42592-0-32601900-1315664930_thumb.j