Swede With Heart Disease Thrown In Thai Prison: Overstay In Paradise

webfact

A few years ago, Immigration was still on Soi 8, I went to Immigration to ask for an extension pending my WP application.

At the immigration they found out, that I was 102 days on overstay. I wasn't aware of that (my former employer didn't inform me about the cancellation of an application for a WP which is the same as actually having a WP).

Anyway, 102 days overstay. The Immigration kindly asked me to come back the next day, with a receipt from Labor Department regarding the new WP-application and THB 20,000 overstay fine + THB 1900 for another 90 day extension, so that the WP-application could be finished properly. Everything with receipts, no tea-money, no jail, just nice and kind immigration-people.

:clap2: :clap2:finally something positive among this negativity.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something isn't adding up. Dude isn't a drug smuggler, or a human trafficker. Why is he being treated like one. Are Thai cops known for doing things like this to foreigners for money? Is this kind of thing common? Want to be on the safe side here, people.

Sounds nasty.... But for some reason, I can't help but think some pieces were left out of this story, perhaps a history of overstays, or something else...

mmmm...Possibly. His last mistake was going to the police instead of immigration. 10 years in Thailand you'd think he'd know that...

But, still a horrible ordeal, just keep him until he paid a "fair" bribe. Miracle Thailand. jap.gif

Exactly! Why would you ever go to the police if you have an over stay? Another poster had it right, get on an airplane and pay your over stay on the way out. Why was he living in Thailand on a tourist visa in the first place? He was old enough for a retirement visa...

There's such thing as a retirement visa? But anyway, dude's only 52. I don't think he's of retiring age... yet.

Something isn't adding up. Dude isn't a drug smuggler, or a human trafficker. Why is he being treated like one. Are Thai cops known for doing things like this to foreigners for money? Is this kind of thing common? Want to be on the safe side here, people.

Sounds nasty.... But for some reason, I can't help but think some pieces were left out of this story, perhaps a history of overstays, or something else...

mmmm...Possibly. His last mistake was going to the police instead of immigration. 10 years in Thailand you'd think he'd know that...

But, still a horrible ordeal, just keep him until he paid a "fair" bribe. Miracle Thailand. jap.gif

Exactly! Why would you ever go to the police if you have an over stay? Another poster had it right, get on an airplane and pay your over stay on the way out. Why was he living in Thailand on a tourist visa in the first place? He was old enough for a retirement visa...

There's such thing as a retirement visa? But anyway, dude's only 52. I don't think he's of retiring age... yet.

Yes, I have one and have had one since I turned 50. It's called an O-A visa. Look in the visa forum on Thaivisa.com for more information..

No, this kind of thing is not common, otherwise the members of this list wouldn't get all worked up about it. And definitely no, Thai cops are not know for doing things like this.

And actually, we do not know whether the guy was a drug smuggler or human trafficker. We assume he was not, but the story is incomplete. We know that the hospital he claims to have been treated at issues a letter for immigration and tells you were to take it, or they even take care of it for you. Yet, he ignored both the letter and the advice (according to the newspaper). Furthermore, the newspaper says that he was arrested a second time, but offers no explanation why. How do you know that this arrest was not for drug smuggling? Well, I don't, and all I say is: Stay on the right side of the law, and you'll be fine in Thailand. They don't arrest you here for a bad-hair day, I have never heard that once in my 20 years here.

My Goodness, you are just so wrong. And it concern's me that you seem to honestly think you are right when you really have not the slightest clue if you honestly believe that. This classic comment deserve's a prize :

" the police here do not stop random car's" Hold on a second I will just ask....

Well. apparently you are a little mistaken on this one because everyone in this room as been stopped. There are 5 people in this room and some, like me have been stopped several time's. " what were you doing wrong?"

Guess what, they were not even driving, they were in taxi's( with some expectation's)

Nobody was doing anything wrong. Most were at the asok crossing, and some by the emporioum.

When I repeated your comment there was a laugh and one comment " how can anyone who has lived here, has a brain, and does not hide in a basement honestly think that" ?

As has already been mentioned, they stop you here for random checks like in every other country, but they won't try to extract money of you didn't do anything wrong.

Please let me know which one(s) tell you they will jail a person under these circumstance',get the name of the person who told you this, and if possible any reference to any law that provides for such and I will take it up. End of story.

And I tell you quite honestly, I do not care if you are black, white, yellow,from issan or from the north of UK (and have think" random"mean's =car's which contain farnags we can get a buck out of or some other unfortunate vic who we can shake down.)

It probably depends on how you behave. I have not had that experience in Thailand, ever.

Amazing Thailand!

Or whatever crap they're saying now.

It's a wonderful country but some of the people in it, for some of the time, are disgusting. One step out of line if you are a Farang can lead to you being treated worse than they treat most animals here. However; before people start blaming Thai's for all the wrongs of the world I should add that most 'developing' countries act in very similar ways, that's why they are still 'developing' !

I'm Sorry, I can't really agree with that, I have been working in developing countries for the last 30 years, and, while I do see some similarities, I have found that Thailand can be much worse than many other nations in respect of basic human rights, In fact, there really arn't any here. manily due to the fact that the police are worse that anyone else when it comes to corruption.

The usual knee-jerk reactions without knowing the full story.

Don't you love it, any story true or not always brings out the I hate Thailand brigade. But I still live here and will not move but I hate this place and will bad mouth it every chance I get bunch.

But when it comes to the police i'll always believe the story against them, theyre utter scum the lot of them!

Be nice if one day an election was fought over disbanding them and starting again.

Edited by houseinbkk

So many holes in this guys claims it is not funny but one has to wonder how when he missed his flight back home it didn't occur to him to check his visa date.

Your reading kills are shocking.

After his hospital stay he went home then a little later presumably when he was better he went to the police about his overstay, so he clearly did check his visa date.

He was living in Thailand hence the house with his clothing he wasnt allowed to visit before the flight which presumably was booked as part of the deal to get him out of jail.

Edited by houseinbkk

So many holes in this guys claims it is not funny but one has to wonder how when he missed his flight back home it didn't occur to him to check his visa date.

Your reading kills are shocking.

After his hospital stay he went home then a little later presumably when he was better he went to the police about his overstay, so he clearly did check his visa date.

He was living in Thailand hence the house with his clothing he wasnt allowed to visit before the flight which presumably was booked as part of the deal to get him out of jail.

My reading "kills" ??? Actually, the article was written in such a way to kill a readers intelligence. Regardless if he was in the hospital or not, he should have known his visa was expiring. Logic would also dictate he was not in the hospital all that long as he didn't have any surgery or surely it would have been mentioned. He was admitted for chest pains and then was well enough to be released on his own where he chose to continue to ignore his visa issue. The point being is that he likely had a flight home that he either missed or had to reschedule ... but he chose not to deal with the visa issue. He has stayed in Thailand for over 10-years and surely if he was going to get an extension or do a visa run then he would know there was no reason to go to the police.

HE CLAIMS. In a one-sided tabloid article.

Its the journalists job to get the other sides story this is hardly his fault.

If he is lying then certainly he holds some responsibility... but I agree it is the reporters responsibility to report accurately and fairly and not simply believe the rants of some person with possible issues.

This story need to be shown overseas, and Thailand need a serious black eye over this. I do not care what the circumstances are, this is completely unjustifiable. The only way changed happen here, is if Thailand loses face worldwide. The tourism industry is dying on the vine, and the TOT continues to spin out the false figures. An informed source told me that the island wide occupancy rate in Koh Samui in June was 20%! That is the lowest rate in the past 20 years. Something is happening, in a big way, and every Thai I talk to has their head in the sand, in regard to the issues. Where is the Anna Hazare of Thailand? Do the Thai people care, at all? Does the government care, or even acknowledge these issues, in the slightest manner? Who is going to be held accountable for this latest travesty?

You're dreaming. Go grab a Chang and mellow out.jap.gif

Easy to get extension based on hospitalization.

From Police order 777/2551

2.25 In the case of medical treatment or convalescence or to look after a patient:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 90 days at a time.

(1) Confirmation and request has been made by a physician responsible for the treatment. The Physician must describe the details of treatment and advised that the illness is a barrier for travelling.

(2) In the case of looking after a patient, confirmation and request has been made by the physician responsible for the treatment or by an embassy or consulate.

(3) Patient Carer, except parents, spouse, children, adopted children or children of spouse, shall be granted no more than 1 extra person.

It should be easy and no doubt is sometimes, but not always. I know a farang who was being treated at Thailand's #1 hospital who was "thrown out" because immigration said he could get treated in his home country. This, after his surgeon (one of Thailand's best) had given him a letter specifically stating that he wanted the farang to stay in Thailand for periodic observation. This place is totally insane at times.

Easy to get extension based on hospitalization.

From Police order 777/2551

2.25 In the case of medical treatment or convalescence or to look after a patient:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 90 days at a time.

(1) Confirmation and request has been made by a physician responsible for the treatment. The Physician must describe the details of treatment and advised that the illness is a barrier for travelling.

(2) In the case of looking after a patient, confirmation and request has been made by the physician responsible for the treatment or by an embassy or consulate.

(3) Patient Carer, except parents, spouse, children, adopted children or children of spouse, shall be granted no more than 1 extra person.

It should be easy and no doubt is sometimes, but not always. I know a farang who was being treated at Thailand's #1 hospital who was "thrown out" because immigration said he could get treated in his home country. This, after his surgeon (one of Thailand's best) had given him a letter specifically stating that he wanted the farang to stay in Thailand for periodic observation. This place is totally insane at times.

I think some foreigners are totally insane at times, in Thailand. :whistling:

During my stay here, I met a nice British fellow that was on a 30 day holiday (second time here). He was enjoying himself quite a bit and decided to stay 5 extra days over this with full knowledge, but not knowing the penalties. He went to the soi 8 police because he did not know what he had to do, if anything. They simply told him to go to Jomtien soi 5, and even got a baht bus to bring him there (on his penny of course, 200 baht). He paid a small overstay file, and they issued him an extension without any problems. -- I guess it all depends on who you talk too.

I've been working here for a few years now (4), and have had to deal with immigration on many occasions (including the 90-day check-ins).

To be honest, immigration (Jomtien soi 5) can be a little hectic at times, especially on Mondays, or after a major holiday, however I have always felt that the staff there were very courteous, and understanding. Not once have we had to give 'tee money', or anything else out of the ordinary, and have always been treated quite civil. One time, one of my co-workers was a little late (ie. 3 days) on his visa renewal and had to fly out of the country on business in two days (obviously needing a visa to get back - this was a big oversight on our layers part who keeps tabs on the renewal dates). He was granted a complementary 60 day visa stamp w/ re-entry on the spot without having to pay more than what was needed to cover the overstay.

When he got back, he hit Laem Chabang's BOI office and they revoked the 60-day, and have him his new 1-year stamp (and WP the next day).

No corruption from the immigration officers, or BOI office in Bangkok and Laem Chabang during our entire employment here (including company creation, et'all).

On the first week of being here, I lost my passport on a baht bus and was panicking.. I went to the police on soi 8 to file a report. They simply told me to go to Bangkok and get a new passport issues - but not after waiting 1 week to see if the passport will show up at the police station. They had a big box of lost passports they got me to shuffle through at the time.

I came back one week later, and lo and behold, my passport showed up, brought in by the baht-bus driver (he also attached a note with his phone, taxi number, and name). I gave the guy 1k baht for his trouble, and I have to say he was quite happy. The police never asked me for anything, except for, I think 100 baht to file the report or something like that on the first day.. but nothing once I claimed my passport.

Now.. My wife's brother drives a low-rider isuzu (modified) which is illegal in Thailand, and quite frankly, very inconvenient due to the inability to go over speed bumps or steep inclines head-on. He gets stopped quite often on the Sukhumvit because of this.. he is given a choice of 100 baht now (on the down-low), or a 1000 baht fine at the police station.. Of course he chooses the former, and they let him go without issues. This happens daily as he worked in Rayong at the time.

Now with his new Toyota, he hasn't been stopped once in the past 6 months, except on a few occasions where they do random checks. None of those times he had to pay the police a thing.

I guess the moral of the story is.. There is a level of corruption, but mostly beneficial to westerners (my brother-in-law is Thai fwiw). If you step out of line, or do something deliberately stupid, or simply act like a dick then you can expect some repercussions.

Edited by rezbin