Swede With Heart Disease Thrown In Thai Prison: Overstay In Paradise

webfact

OVERSTAY IN PARADISE

Miracle Thailand?

Kent, 52 from Sweden, Got hearth problem- was thrown in jail!

kent2.jpg

Arrested- when Kent Melmblom realized that his visa expired after he had been discharged from hospital,

he went to the police station in Pattaya. But received no help - but was arrested immediately. Photo: Jonas Bilberg

Kent Melmblom, 52, got heart problems when he was in Thailand and was hospitalized. So long that his tourist visa in Thailand run out. Then began the worst 12 days of his life.

- I never thought that Thailand could be so dangerous, says Kent Melmblom.

Kent Melmblom from Stockholm rented a house in the town of Pattaya southeast of Bangkok, when he got a chest pain and was admitted to Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya.

When Kent Melmblom was discharged from the hospital, knew that his visa expired. One week after discharge, he went to the police station in Pattaya for advice.

But he did not receive any help - he was arrested on the spot.

- I was thrown into a detention cell. There was one person there. During the night it had been filled with other inmates, 67 people pressed together in five by five meters, said Kent Melmblom.

Chained with other The day after he was brought to justice. He was sentenced to pay 2000 Baht, 480 Swedish crowns, and would be released within one hour.

- It sounded reasonable.

But Kent Melmblom was not released. Outside the hall was instead a group of policemen waiting for him.

- I was handcuffed, shackled and chained with a lot of prisoners and taken to a cell. I had to live under terrible circumstances, he says. He was forced to pay another 1800 Baht, but not released. Went lost 16 kg weight.

He was arrested on July 16, but would remain in the narrow cell for several days. Every day he received a small bag of rice and a bottle of water. There was a fan of the cell to relieve the heat, but it broke after a few days.

- I lost 16 kg. I got diarrhea of the infected water and threw up every day. The sweat ran down on me. It was so crowded on the floor it just went to lie down on the page.

Began to feel increasingly ill.

One morning a man lay cold beside him. He had died, but was to remain in the cell. In two days. No one took him away. Kent Melmholm did not understand how he got there - in the cell that appeared to be the worst possible nightmare.

- There was no dignity at all. After two days he began to smell.

Kent Melmblom had no access to his heart medication and was feeling increasingly ill, both mentally and physically. He had no watch and could not see out any windows.

- I did not know if it was day or night. We only had a stone floor and opposite water bottle to rest your head on. And the toilet in privacy was not to speak of.

Bribed free by lawyer

The news reached after a few days, Kent's mother in Sweden who in turn contacted the Foreign Office. One day, opened the door in the cell. Someone searched for Kent.

With the help of a lawyer who knew the police chief could Kent Melmblom bribe himself free.

It cost a further 30 000 Baht, just over 7260 Swedish kronor.

Then the trip home went very quickly. He was not given the opportunity to either pick up their belongings in their house or change clothes.

Was flown home in the same clothes the same day, July 29, he was thrown into a car, was taken to Bangkok airport and put on a plane to Sweden. In the same clothes as he was jailed in July 16 - a pair of shorts, sandals and a tank top.

- I stank of urine, faeces and sweat, and would sit on a plane among the common people.

And totally uncovered without money or a few belongings.

Now he has had time to shower and rest, but still feel very bad for what he had.

- I do not know if I should laugh or cry. I did not know that Thailand was so dangerous. I still lived there previously for ten years and was no novice. I want to warn others. The police were just looking for my money, says Kent Melmblom.

Several similar cases of UD (Swedish Ministry of Foreign affairs)

One month after his arrival in Sweden, he finally had time to gather strength to talk to the Swedish police, his insurance company and the Foreign Ministry.

But Kent's case is not unusual.

- We have many of these matter. It is common to be taken for not having valid visas. One must follow the laws and regulations in the country, says Karin Nylund.

She would not comment on individual cases but said that UD (Swedish Foreign affairs) has many similar cases on their desk.

Translated from Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet today: http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article13567329.ab

-- Aftonbladet 2011-09-03

footer_n.gif

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing Thailand!

Or whatever crap they're saying now.

It's a wonderful country but some of the people in it, for some of the time, are disgusting. One step out of line if you are a Farang can lead to you being treated worse than they treat most animals here. However; before people start blaming Thai's for all the wrongs of the world I should add that most 'developing' countries act in very similar ways, that's why they are still 'developing' !

Easy to get extension based on hospitalization.

From Police order 777/2551

2.25 In the case of medical treatment or convalescence or to look after a patient:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 90 days at a time.

(1) Confirmation and request has been made by a physician responsible for the treatment. The Physician must describe the details of treatment and advised that the illness is a barrier for travelling.

(2) In the case of looking after a patient, confirmation and request has been made by the physician responsible for the treatment or by an embassy or consulate.

(3) Patient Carer, except parents, spouse, children, adopted children or children of spouse, shall be granted no more than 1 extra person.

Sounds nasty.... But for some reason, I can't help but think some pieces were left out of this story, perhaps a history of overstays, or something else...

mmmm...Possibly. His last mistake was going to the police instead of immigration. 10 years in Thailand you'd think he'd know that...

But, still a horrible ordeal, just keep him until he paid a "fair" bribe. Miracle Thailand. jap.gif

Sounds nasty.... But for some reason, I can't help but think some pieces were left out of this story, perhaps a history of overstays, or something else... Either way, I am sure Mr Kent is happy to be back home again!

I think I have to agree , what do we not know ? on thye other hand I read a case of a German guy sailed his boat into Thailand was jailed for a supposed infraction of the law (because he was very wealthy ) they kept him for months just asking for more money all the time. It is sad that we have to pit up with this shit but nobody cares , only money talks here.

This story need to be shown overseas, and Thailand need a serious black eye over this. I do not care what the circumstances are, this is completely unjustifiable. The only way changed happen here, is if Thailand loses face worldwide. The tourism industry is dying on the vine, and the TOT continues to spin out the false figures. An informed source told me that the island wide occupancy rate in Koh Samui in June was 20%! That is the lowest rate in the past 20 years. Something is happening, in a big way, and every Thai I talk to has their head in the sand, in regard to the issues. Where is the Anna Hazare of Thailand? Do the Thai people care, at all? Does the government care, or even acknowledge these issues, in the slightest manner? Who is going to be held accountable for this latest travesty?

This story is a bit fishy from the get go, how did his mom find out he was in jail and all of that. Why didn't someone from the Swedish Embassy visit him. Why go to the police with a overstay when you should have went to immigration for help.

This story stinks like he would have if he stayed in Jail for a few days.

This story is so incredible that we'd need the version of the police.

This story needs a follow up.

Either it's true and Kent has to sue Thai police.

Or it's wrong and Thai police has to sue him for libel.

Maybe a NotThePattayaMail joke.

Edited by geovalin

Sounds like b/s to me. Especially Bangkok Hospital will always ask patients if they need help with extending the visa. I know because I was admitted and had a group of people checking if I need help. I had a valid visa so I did not need help. So to me there are bits missing from the story.

Sounds nasty.... But for some reason, I can't help but think some pieces were left out of this story, perhaps a history of overstays, or something else...

mmmm...Possibly. His last mistake was going to the police instead of immigration. 10 years in Thailand you'd think he'd know that...

But, still a horrible ordeal, just keep him until he paid a "fair" bribe. Miracle Thailand. jap.gif

Exactly! Why would you ever go to the police if you have an over stay? Another poster had it right, get on an airplane and pay your over stay on the way out. Why was he living in Thailand on a tourist visa in the first place? He was old enough for a retirement visa...

The usual knee-jerk reactions without knowing the full story.

Don't you love it, any story true or not always brings out the I hate Thailand brigade. But I still live here and will not move but I hate this place and will bad mouth it every chance I get bunch.

not to self: if I discover I have a expired Visa, do not visa anyone officals. Get in minivan for Suvarnabhumi airport and airaisa ticket to Singapore in hand. Pay the overstay fine as I exit.

Hint to you you: Enter a meeting appointment in your mobile phone with alarm three days before your visa expiry. It might spare a lot of inconvenience for you. The road tax due date and expiry date of the insurance for my various vehicles are all in the mobile as recurring date (birthday). It is easy and it works.

I've been in Thailand less than six months and I already know a lawyer I could call if I ever get in trouble. An immigration lawyer with connections to the imm office/department. I would NEVER walk into the police station and try to fix this on my own! Call the lawyer, let her take care of it. You'd think people would be smart enough to do that.

I have lived in Pattaya for 24 years and the only scam I have had pulled on me was by the police. And heaven forbid if they get you to jail. Too many to pay off. The price goes up daily. Usually I teach my children to respect the police. But here with my Thai child I tell here to look away and go the other direction when she see's a policeman. The Police, City Council, and all government agencies only care about your money. Stay away from them and you'll be ok. Personally I am scared of the police wherever I go in Thailand. You never know what color shirt they are wearing under that brown shirt. It has gotten so bad I made a trip to Vietnam to see what it was like there. Cambodia this month. I will not be spending my paycheck here by 2012. And it is a very respectable amount of money.

OK, he was in violation of the law, but sought help, trusting that being forthright and honest would be at least rewarded with objective behavior and a financial.

Instead, he got what he got. The post that stated "lost in translation" has something there, yet one wonders what was going through the minds of the arresting officer that resulted in this decision.

Be irresponsible and under the influence and healthy: Shove a tuk tuk driver and get put into a coma by Thai citizens

Be responsible and sober and near death: Go on overstay because you are in hospital, and immediately report upon release, and go to jail.

One wonders at the sincerity of dialing the help line from your local 7-11, and receiving help instead of a beating or an arrest.

One rarely reads of a foreigner subjecting a Thai to physical or verbal abuse and walking away under their own power. The problem is the "why" to that observation.

One frequently reads of a foreigner being subjected to physical and verbal abuse by Thai citizens in government and the public sector frequently. The problem is the "why" to that observation.

I am not condoning or condemning the participants of said observations; yet the imbalance and follow up investigations and media reporting on these matters strongly points to issues of racism and discrimination towards anyone who does not fit a native profile. Objectivity seems to be non-existent.

The message I am getting here is that the focus of all of these issues revolves around the law enforcement agencies, and how they apparently have a premeditated and skewed view of foreigners and foreign behavior.

The consuls are going to have their backs to the wall in a very short time if issues like these begin creeping up. But maybe not. That is the meaning behind T.I.T.; The incredibly obvious course of action is commonly ignored in lieu of the incredibly galactic and stupid course!

Unless the reporter missed something that constituted an outright arrest, then this is wrong. It is very very wrong.