Phuket Lifeguards Step Up Lifesaving Campaign

webfact

Phuket lifeguards step up lifesaving campaign

phuket-1-10921ITKmlxtnpWarrrHmCmAYwAmFxb.jpg

More lifeguard training and more surf awareness means fewer

people drowning at Phuket's beaches.

phuket-4-10921iHACnuuFbCPisOGkVvfVGXMBua.jpg

An artist's impression of the completed open-air center.

PHUKET: -- The unveiling of plans for a new lifeguard “education center” at Phuket's Nai Harn Beach yesterday also saw the announcement of new surf warning signs for tourists and a training program to educate more locals about the dangers of swimming in the sea.

New signs will be posted on Phuket beaches this year in five languages – Thai, English, Japanese, German and Russian – said Phuket Lifeguard Center President Prathaiyuth Chuayuan.

He also explained that the training conducted at the center, to be given by trained lifeguards, will be offered to everyone.

“The center will teach lifesaving skills to anyone – children, adults and tourists – through Thai and English programs.

“Most reported rescues involve Thai swimmers, and most of them were teenagers who sneaked away from their parents to go to the beach. So we will be using the Thai program most,” he said.

Nai Harn was chosen as the location for the center as it already had trained lifeguards who can help, and the lifeguards stationed there had good support from the local community, Mr Prathaiyuth said.

In Phuket on a two-day visit, Simon Farbenbloom, Deputy Head of Mission at the Australian Embassy to Thailand, was impressed by the move to open the center.

“It is my great pleasure to visit this area, which in the not-too-distant future will be transformed into the Phuket Lifesaving Education Center – the first of its kind in Phuket.

“The Phuket Lifesaving Education Center represents a strong partnership between Australia and Thailand through the Phuket Lifeguard Club, Surf Life Saving Australia, the Phuket Provincial Administration Organization (PPAO) and the Australian–Thai Institute, which provided financial support for this project,” Mr Farbenbloom said.

Mr Prathaiyuth explained to the visiting diplomat that the project was now waiting only for authorization from OrBorJor President Paiboon Upatising before construction could begin.

“Construction will take two months,” he added.

“Six to seven surf lifesavers from Australia will arrive to train at the Karon Sea Rescue Center between September 13 and 17, the last day of which will be a skill test carnival,” Mr Prathaiyuth added.

The carnival, last year held on Patong Beach, proved popular in raising awareness of surf lifesaving skills and in developing a healthy respect for the strong rip tides that plague specific locations along Phuket beaches.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article10921.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-09-03

Funny thing is since this year's contract was awarded I have not really noticed any life guards on duty at Kata beach. Last year's contract there looked like a number of life guards floating about, this year nada.

Nah.. Actually I've noticed quite a few. Sometimes out blowing whistles warning people, moving flags, other times lounging inside the vendors salas and other times it appears as though they are actually running the jet ski/surfboard/whatever rentals.

^ how you can say waste of money?

trained lifeguards, improved awareness, water safety training for children run at various locations/times throughout the year by volunteers? I don't see the waste there.

or you could head along on the 17th and support them at the carnival, perhaps compete as well - all welcome and entries on the day will be accepted.

As well as the Australian lifeguards in Phuket for the training who will compete, I expect there will be expats competing as well.

^ how you can say waste of money?

trained lifeguards, improved awareness, water safety training for children run at various locations/times throughout the year by volunteers? I don't see the waste there.

or you could head along on the 17th and support them at the carnival, perhaps compete as well - all welcome and entries on the day will be accepted.

As well as the Australian lifeguards in Phuket for the training who will compete, I expect there will be expats competing as well.

I say it because the "center's design" looks lame, and doesn't fit in with the surrounding area. The opening ceremony was poorly attened and in a tent. Isn't there a rescue center in Patong that isn't used? Why build another? The rescue boats for Nai Harn sit at the Or Bor Jor's office in disrepair and unused. The lifeguard "clubs" in Phuket always seem to be awaiting a new contract and leave the beaches unpatrolled for months at a time. But I suppose it's better than nothing...

• 2 months later...

I was wondering if anyone has any contact information for Phuket lifeguards. Preferably English speaking. My nephew is part of the International Surf Lifesaving Assn and has gone to several countries with other USSLA/ISLA lifeguards and they do a training program. He is currently in the Dominican Republic doing a program and they are interested in trying to set one up here. Quicksilver and others help sponsor the program...

Thanks!

Edited by Jimi007

I believe anything in this direction is positive.

Tell you what, last weekend at Nai Harn the surf picked up and with a rapid tidal change, I watched 8 Thai kids and 1 foreigner get dragged out. I pulled out two of the Thai kids, the third one was panicking and climbing all over me and luckily a surf couple with their boards pulled up and took him off me.

I commend the rest of the Thai lifeguards. As soon as they saw me and the people getting swept, six of them were in the water with me, the guy with the board pulling two out at a time.

Foreigner came out last, ha, ha.

Jimbo, good call on the sponsored lifeguarding. I also have a friend in CA that does lifeguard competitions, we'll get him over here to run a few of those, hand out some trophies. That'll get people interested.

I believe anything in this direction is positive.

Tell you what, last weekend at Nai Harn the surf picked up and with a rapid tidal change, I watched 8 Thai kids and 1 foreigner get dragged out. I pulled out two of the Thai kids, the third one was panicking and climbing all over me and luckily a surf couple with their boards pulled up and took him off me.

I commend the rest of the Thai lifeguards. As soon as they saw me and the people getting swept, six of them were in the water with me, the guy with the board pulling two out at a time.

Foreigner came out last, ha, ha.

Jimbo, good call on the sponsored lifeguarding. I also have a friend in CA that does lifeguard competitions, we'll get him over here to run a few of those, hand out some trophies. That'll get people interested.

Conditions can change rapidly at Nai Harn and other beaches around here. There was surf yesterday, today it looked like a lake! Glad you were there! I see the Nai Harn guards clustered in little groups, usually chatting...

My brother is a retired LA County Lifeguard Captain and still is involved in most of the US lifeguard competitions. He's the past president of the US Surf Lifesaving Association. His eldest son is a junior guard instructor in Huntington Beach and now helps organize these training programs worldwide. He asked me if I could get him some contact information to try to bring the program here. He and some of his lifeguard friends bring a bunch of SWAG for the locals guards and help train them... He's gone to Nicaragua, Honduras, New Zealand and The Dominican Republic in the past two years.

Edited by Jimi007