Phuket Immigration Again

petercallen

I was there on Friday for my 90 day reporting. The form in the passport did not have room for anymore stamps so I was politely asked by the Thai immigration officer to get a couple of photocopies, which you can now do directly underneath instead of out the back. When I returned the officer filled out the new form, stamped & stapled the other piece in my passport. I thanked him & left, all done in about 5 minutes including getting the photocopies.

What form in the passport?

You must report to immigration every 90 days if you are here on a long term visa & do not leave the country. The form they staple in your passport is proof you have reported to immigration. That same form will be stamped every 90 days until it is full & then you get another one. Usually takes over a year or two before it is full.

How can you expect the volunteers to know which papers or copies you need on the day you come to the immigration office when the officers change their mind on almost a daily or even a hourly basis.

I’m not surprised that they have it wrong sometimes and I don’t blame them for this. It is the officers who create the chaos.

They helped me a few times and for me I’m happy that they are there to help people out.

Don’t forget they are volunteers and thus don’t get anything paid.

They told me that for the 90 day reporting you need a new filed in paper and copies when you do the reporting for the first time or the first time of each year.

As I always have copies with me I don’t really care if they ask a new paper or copies or not. :)

What letter is that.... prof of residence.. was free before now was 100 or 300.. Buy a car/motorbike, get/renew a DL etc. So what was it and yes the vols are strong.. too many idiots

Yes the proof of residence letter, thats the only letter i have ever required from immigration

Thre are other documents in letter form that Immi uses..

What letter is that.... prof of residence.. was free before now was 100 or 300.. Buy a car/motorbike, get/renew a DL etc. So what was it and yes the vols are strong.. too many idiots

This form supposed to be for free still. If you watch the officer after he takes your cash he puts it into his draw. You don't go to the officer that gives a receipt he keeps it in the tea money box! Next time ask him for a receipt.... You won't have to pay!!!!

Was free when oyu went up the stair area but there is now a cost sam roi will send you home?

This form supposed to be for free still. If you watch the officer after he takes your cash he puts it into his draw. You don't go to the officer that gives a receipt he keeps it in the tea money box! Next time ask him for a receipt.... You won't have to pay!!!!

Was free when oyu went up the stair area but there is now a cost sam roi will send you home?

Upstairs was only free if the girls liked you.

Many people ( specially Asian/African people or darker colored skin ) where requested to pay money.

Many Japanese people had to pay up to 1000 baht to get this letter.

Yes, now you have to pay 300 baht but it is equal for everybody.

I for one do not worry about it i am happy to tip anyone for good service

Why don't you ask for a receipt and see how you go :)

I always thwart their appeals for " Coffee money " by asking for receipts. It annoys them but as they are civil servants, tipping them is graft in my book, especially when it allows someone to cut in front of me.

The last time I was in there asking for info about B visa for opening companies. The volunteers handed me a sheet in Thai and in English, I read it and had questions. The Officer whom I asked for a receipt from before was open so I sat and asked a simple question.

He said, " ask your staff to explain it to you " and made a big show of ignoring me and returning to his work . I said something about this to the volunteer and he said he the Officer was always like that. Unprofessional and rude, why support that behavior?.

I just waited for the Captain to be available and she answered all my questions professionally and in a courteous manner. I also complained about the prior Officer's attitude and she got a right pissed off look toward him.

I would inform newbies that foreigners really should not play their games- when resisted, politely but firmly, graft seekers do the right thing. This works for for a lot in Thailand where conventional wisdom dictates, "cannot confront, must never call them on bad work, etc., must tip, etc. etc. etc., " It just isn't true.

The trick is, I swear is to sit down and display an open and relaxed body posture.

I also read over and over on this forum one should not yell at Thais. Just last week the electric company came out and started hacking at one of my trees. I asked them to do it a less harmful way, such as sawing at a slight angle instead of a machete. They ignored me, smirking and giggling until I started screaming in a extreme manner, ( I was on my property after all ) They stopped immediately and soon a supervisor arrived, and instructed them at my direction, on how to cut the branches in a manner that won't encourage disease or bug infestation

I have a lot of stories like this. You have to stand up for yourself.

Al lI can say about the entire petty tipping issue at immigration, or elsewhere is; until the small laws are respected, the big laws won't be, either.

Edited by TigerWan

I always thwart their appeals for " Coffee money " by asking for receipts. It annoys them but as they are civil servants, tipping them is graft in my book, especially when it allows someone to cut in front of me.

The last time I was in there asking for info about B visa for opening companies. The volunteers handed me a sheet in Thai and in English, I read it and had questions. The Officer whom I asked for a receipt from before was open so I sat and asked a simple question.

He said, " ask your staff to explain it to you " and made a big show of ignoring me and returning to his work . I said something about this to the volunteer and he said he the Officer was always like that. Unprofessional and rude, why support that behavior?.

I just waited for the Captain to be available and she answered all my questions professionally and in a courteous manner. I also complained about the prior Officer's attitude and she got a right pissed off look toward him.

I would inform newbies that foreigners really should not play their games- when resisted, politely but firmly, graft seekers do the right thing. This works for for a lot in Thailand where conventional wisdom dictates, "cannot confront, must never call them on bad work, etc., must tip, etc. etc. etc., " It just isn't true.

The trick is, I swear is to sit down and display an open and relaxed body posture.

I also read over and over on this forum one should not yell at Thais. Just last week the electric company came out and started hacking at one of my trees. I asked them to do it a less harmful way, such as sawing at a slight angle instead of a machete. They ignored me, smirking and giggling until I started screaming in a extreme manner, ( I was on my property after all ) They stopped immediately and soon a supervisor arrived, and instructed them at my direction, on how to cut the branches in a manner that won't encourage disease or bug infestation

I have a lot of stories like this. You have to stand up for yourself.

Al lI can say about the entire petty tipping issue at immigration, or elsewhere is; until the small laws are respected, the big laws won't be, either.

Kinda why I like Thailand...its not a nanny state...i dont respect a lot of laws in my home country...it reaks of control of the masses...i'll keep paying the small bribes quite happily...you can spend a larger portion of your life waiting in line with your relaxed posture :rolleyes:

^

At Immigration, I always plan to go when it's empty, so following the small rules isn't so much of a burden.

There's a great theory called " broken windows" and it has to do with enforcing small laws in order to stop the snowballing into ignoring of more important laws. Enforce the small rules and respect for the big rules comes easier .

It was the basis, allegedly of Mayor Guiliana cleaning up New York City's criminality so dramatically in the 90's.

But I have to disagree with you, I think tipping civil servants is a basis for a lot of corruption that is detrimental.

It rather OT but your statement about nanny states is to me, more about controlling thought, such as making it illegal to say something like displaying your own racism or dictating whether women can or cannot wear cloth on their heads.

Nanny states are about legislating morality, essentially. IMO

The relaxed pose I suggested is really more about chastising bad or lazy work, from an employee for instance. You can call them on it, but its the body language that intimidates, not the voice I guess is my point.

Edited by TigerWan

^

At Immigration, I always plan to go when it's empty, so following the small rules isn't so much of a burden.

There's a great theory called " broken windows" and it has to do with enforcing small laws in order to stop the snowballing into ignoring of more important laws. Enforce the small rules and respect for the big rules comes easier .

It was the basis, allegedly of Mayor Guiliana cleaning up New York City's criminality so dramatically in the 90's.

But I have to disagree with you, I think tipping civil servants is a basis for a lot of corruption that is detrimental.

It rather OT but your statement about nanny states is to me, more about controlling thought, such as making it illegal to say something like displaying your own racism or dictating whether women can or cannot wear cloth on their heads.

The relaxed pose I suggested is really more about chastising bad or lazy work, from an employee for instance. You can call them on it, but its the body language that intimidates, not the voice I guess is my point.

say what you want, this is not the USA...this is Phuket..the immigation department is ten times better than it was a few years ago. and the volunteers have been a great help ,i have no complaints..

you can please some poeple some times..but you cant please all the poeple all of the time..

Nothing else than the Tuk tuk mafia in uniform or did the officer told you in advance about the fee and asked if it was okay to bribe him for a service which after Thai laws is incorporated in a Immigration officers work.

Nothing else than the Tuk tuk mafia in uniform or did the officer told you in advance about the fee and asked if it was okay to bribe him for a service which after Thai laws is incorporated in a Immigration officers work.

The officer told me the fee and i paid it, i am not a expert on Thai immigration laws

Are you?

^

I look at it like this.... I break the law in a western country such as drink driving or getting into a fight or something stupid. I get arrested, pay bail, pay lawyers, get fined, get my punishment.

In Thailand, I break the law, pay fine to police, police then divide up the money how they see fit, punishment handed out within minutes, everyone happy

Laws in western countries make lawyers rich, when they dont actually do anything....they dont make they arrest, they dont investigate...but they get well paid for it...the red nosed drunk of a judge does about 5 minutes work and gets double the salary of the lawyer. The government cops the fine money which goes into pork barrelling so they can win the next election. It is suprising how many people in (Australian) politics are ex lawyers and they love making new laws.

So the lowly paid public servant in immigration gets $5 for a particular form that isnt scrutinised by the government yet.....believe me when the Thai government finds out about these little secret fees they will double them (but dont worry they will spend an extra half an hour making up a giant receipt for you, thus cutting down hundreds of thousands of trees in the process to make all the wasted paper). Who would i prefer to give my money to? Luitenant senior commander Somchai with his rubber stamp....who just wants a few cold ones and a hit on the kareoke machine after work.....or to the government coffers so they can make more rules and make my life hell?

Went to Immigration today for my 90 day 'stamp' and for the first time in a long time was told to get copies of my passport.

When I got back, I was given the form to complete - all by an Immigration official I hadn't seen before.

I know the routine, so don't need to bother the Western volunteers who - were all exceedingly helpful before I learned the routine.

It was my first visit following the renewal of my retirement visa, so I think a previous poster is right - there was no room on my 'form' so a new form was required along with passport copies.

The officer told me the fee and i paid it, i am not a expert on Thai immigration laws

Are you?

Not trying to “hang you high “far from, but as many others I have had my fair share of experience at that department. My point is merely that when we accept unlawful fees and bribery at Immigration we in a way accept cheating in a broad area included what everyone seems to scream about this days the Tuk Tuk/Taxi mafia. There are no separate departments for scamming, bullying, overcharging or bribery. It all belongs to the same disease.

The Tukituki mafia has had their way because they could with gullible and naive foreigners and a Government who looked the other way. If Immigration can they will and it will be very hard to change it back.

When it comes to that specific department mention above my experience was that 10 - 15 years ago there was no automatic in fees for small thing like resident certificate etc. That not mean you not could buy your way, far from, but that was for a bit more paper and money involved.

Went to Immigration today for my 90 day 'stamp' and for the first time in a long time was told to get copies of my passport.

When I got back, I was given the form to complete - all by an Immigration official I hadn't seen before.

I know the routine, so don't need to bother the Western volunteers who - were all exceedingly helpful before I learned the routine.

It was my first visit following the renewal of my retirement visa, so I think a previous poster is right - there was no room on my 'form' so a new form was required along with passport copies.

plenty of room for more stamps on my 90 days on august 30, but new form required filled out by Thai officer and no docs needed. and yes, this was a new officer far left hand front row.

happily paid 300 baht for 2 certificate of residence. In Hua Hin its 500 baht each, no pay no issue.

I am there 4 times a year, I know their salaries, and do not mind making a contribution, they recognise me and one advantage is to never be asked for copies, docs or wait in que

I was there on Friday for my 90 day reporting. The form in the passport did not have room for anymore stamps so I was politely asked by the Thai immigration officer to get a couple of photocopies, which you can now do directly underneath instead of out the back. When I returned the officer filled out the new form, stamped & stapled the other piece in my passport. I thanked him & left, all done in about 5 minutes including getting the photocopies.

What photocopies are needed for a 90 day report? I never had to photocopy anything before, except the first time and when I got a new passport. Is this something new?

No nothikng, just a form they note and give you a part

plenty of room for more stamps on my 90 days on august 30, but new form required filled out by Thai officer and no docs needed. and yes, this was a new officer far left hand front row.

happily paid 300 baht for 2 certificate of residence. In Hua Hin its 500 baht each, no pay no issue.

I am there 4 times a year, I know their salaries, and do not mind making a contribution, they recognise me and one advantage is to never be asked for copies, docs or wait in que

Thanks for the update on 90 day reporting, as there are some conflicting reports about needing photocopies. The guy that was over on the left for years, who does the 90 day reporting was going to school to improve his English the last time I talked to him. So there's someone else there sometimes. And yes it's nice to be recognized in there as well as knowing what you're doing and which person you need to talk to. It can go very smoothly and quickly...

^

say what you want, this is not the USA...this is Phuket..the immigation department is ten times better than it was a few years ago. and the volunteers have been a great help ,i have no complaints..

you can please some poeple some times..but you cant please all the poeple all of the time..

When a professional civil servant suggests I give him money for coffee, it is a small transgression, but to fulfill it leads to worse, I really can't go along.

I made no complaint against the volunteers and appreciated their affirmation that the particular officer behaved badly on a regular basis.

Are you?

Not trying to “hang you high “far from, but as many others I have had my fair share of experience at that department. My point is merely that when we accept unlawful fees and bribery at Immigration we in a way accept cheating in a broad area included what everyone seems to scream about this days the Tuk Tuk/Taxi mafia. There are no separate departments for scamming, bullying, overcharging or bribery. It all belongs to the same disease.

The Tukituki mafia has had their way because they could with gullible and naive foreigners and a Government who looked the other way. If Immigration can they will and it will be very hard to change it back.

When it comes to that specific department mention above my experience was that 10 - 15 years ago there was no automatic in fees for small thing like resident certificate etc. That not mean you not could buy your way, far from, but that was for a bit more paper and money involved.

^ it use to be a posted donation, and I paid that several times. I'm happy to pay fees, that are received into the budgeting. I agree that petty corruption is as detrimental ultimately, as any other kind.

Are you?

Not trying to "hang you high "far from, but as many others I have had my fair share of experience at that department. My point is merely that when we accept unlawful fees and bribery at Immigration we in a way accept cheating in a broad area included what everyone seems to scream about this days the Tuk Tuk/Taxi mafia. There are no separate departments for scamming, bullying, overcharging or bribery. It all belongs to the same disease.

^ it use to be a posted donation, and I paid that several times. I'm happy to pay fees, that are received into the budgeting. I agree that petty corruption is as detrimental ultimately, as any other kind.

Mai pen rai..who cares, i dont..

Yes, the guy I dealt with yesterday was on the far left, front row. edit - and I didn't recognise him even though I've been going there four times a year for about 5 years.

Interestingly (at least to me :lol:) he was even less 'interested' than most. Clearly bored and making it obvious nobody was invited to 'sit' with him - until he had finished his personal 'phone conversation...

I don't think he met my eye once - even though I was trying to be friendly. I just hope his attitude doesn't spread as for the past year I've found Phuket Immigration far more friendly and helpful.

Edited by F1fanatic

I was speaking about htis issue on another thread, how all the little cheating and such lends to having very bad rules regarding foreigners. They keep trying to squeeze the bad one out, I guess is the rationale? But I think what happens is increasingly, only a criminal element is motivated enough to endure the process and not complain.

Two or so times I've had immigration tell me to "get married " which is just plain fraud- not to mention a good way to lose my savings, my free time and my sanity.

If they let me have a Thai wife to cook and clean my house for me, then maybe I'd consider it . [ facetious smiley ]

I was speaking about htis issue on another thread, how all the little cheating and such lends to having very bad rules regarding foreigners. They keep trying to squeeze the bad one out, I guess is the rationale? But I think what happens is increasingly, only a criminal element is motivated enough to endure the process and not complain.

Two or so times I've had immigration tell me to "get married " which is just plain fraud- not to mention a good way to lose my savings, my free time and my sanity.

If they let me have a Thai wife to cook and clean my house for me, then maybe I'd consider it . [ facetious smiley ]

As a female, I haven't had this advice (:D) or generally, had bad service from Phuket Immigration.

I was charged once. It was before I realised that having a retirement visa did not exempt one from 90 day reporting.....

Once I realised the system I had a few problems (?) in the early years with forms and passport copies - but as I said before, until yesterday they had been great for the past year.