British kick-boxer to be extradited to Thailand over murder of US Marine

Lite Beer

Yes, naturally. He threatened to kill someone in a bar, went to the nearest 7-11 in a barefoot rage and stole some knives, and a few minutes later the person he threatened to kill ended up being stabbed to death by someone fitting his description. All a big, tragic coincidence for Mr. Aldhouse, really. Let's be nice to him!

The sad part is, good lawyers find ways to make the most obvious sound implausible... and vice versa.

I guess that's what they call a "fair" trial: having a highly paid lawyer to lie for you in the hopes of getting you out of whatever fox you've gotten yourself into.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, naturally. He threatened to kill someone in a bar, went to the nearest 7-11 in a barefoot rage and stole some knives, and a few minutes later the person he threatened to kill ended up being stabbed to death by someone fitting his description. All a big, tragic coincidence for Mr. Aldhouse, really. Let's be nice to him!

The sad part is, good lawyers find ways to make the most obvious sound implausible... and vice versa.

I would imagine there is less of that in Thailand as trials are decided by judges and not novice juries.

No more or less a "fact" than your repeated assertion, without evidence, that the Thai legal system is incapable of providing a fair trial, and that the Thai prison system is too barbaric to house an upstanding, civilized British murderer (assuming he's convicted of such).

Wouldn't you say?

Yes -- you're in a corner now, and the vast majority of posters here think you're a twit...perfect time to request the thread be locked.

Certainly there must be some public record or news reports in the last decade of their being a tendency for Thailand's courts to convict innocent people (especially farangs) more than the UK.

Apparently not, (which arguable,in itself raises certain questions) however there do appear to be concerns, even from some members of the Thai establishment, as to the partiality of the Thai criminal courts and the quality of justice which they dispense:

Per Jon Ungphakorn; human rights and social activist, winner of the 2005 Magsaysay Award and a former elected senator for Bangkok:

I haven't been able to find any direct figures for conviction rates by the criminal courts, but in 2007 a total of 498,576 criminal court cases were completed, from which 641,681 defendants were convicted.

Interestingly, while the numbers of people convicted by the criminal court rose only slightly from 2006 to 2007 (from 620,957 in 2006 to 641,681 in 2007), the numbers sentenced to prison rose from 65,787 (10.59%) in 2006 to 102,178 (15.92%) in 2007 <http://bit.ly/g5SLAI>.

At the same time, the number of people sentenced to death more than tripled from 302 to 963.

I think that the courts should explain these phenomena to the public.

(My emphasis added.)

Full article:

http://www.thaiworld.org/en/thailand_monitor/answer.php?question_id=1053

Edited by Rumpole

Certainly there must be some public record or news reports in the last decade of their being a tendency for Thailand's courts to convict innocent people (especially farangs) more than the UK.

Apparently not (which arguable,in itself raises certain questions) however there do appear to be concerns, even from some members of the Thai establishment, as to the partiality of the Thai criminal courts and the quality of justice which they dispense:

Per Jon Ungphakorn; human rights and social activist, winner of the 2005 Magsaysay Award and a former elected senator for Bangkok:

How about a link to what you are quoting?

What Human rights & social activists don't have concerns about justice systems & prisons around the world, including first world nations?

Does it really concern you because there isn't published reports of "there being a tendency for Thailand's courts to convict innocent people (especially farangs) more than the UK" ? Could it simply be that Thailand is not known for convicting innocent people anymore than other countries?

Are you aware of the appeals process & Supreme Courts operate in Thailand?

I haven't been able to find any direct figures for conviction rates by the criminal courts, but in 2007 a total of 498,576 criminal court cases were completed, from which 641,681 defendants were convicted.

Interestingly, while the numbers of people convicted by the criminal court rose only slightly from 2006 to 2007 (from 620,957 in 2006 to 641,681 in 2007), the numbers sentenced to prison rose from 65,787 (10.59%) in 2006 to 102,178 (15.92%) in 2007 <http://bit.ly/g5SLAI>.

At the same time, the number of people sentenced to death more than tripled from 302 to 963.

I think that the courts should explain these phenomena to the public.

This is completely irrelevant and you have not sourced your figures or shown in any way why they would make somebody in Thailand not receive a fair trial ... especially in terms of being convicted for a crime they didn't commit. And what in the world does number of crimes committed have anything to do with severity of crimes and or the sentence that is handed out which is controlled by the sentencing guidelines for each crime.

Edited by Nisa

Hmmm. I'm afraid your apparent delusions (or just trolling?) about what you say I said are getting a bit unnerving. :huh: But seeing that you've been reduced to name calling it's easy to see your emotions take control.

Unfortunately the fact still remains that after pages and pages of people letting their emotions get the better of them, nobody is able to present the release of any hard evidence of the accused being at the murder scene. :(

It's getting a little boring and tedious that after an eyewitness says she saw the murder take place ( with the accused murderer stabbing the victim), that you say it didin't. Hard evidence? Who said there is or isn't as the police keep most evidence away from the press? I find it amusing I've called you on at least 5 occasions about certain things and you never address the questions, merely deflect and carry on. NEXT! Don't even say you didn't see them as that's BS, unless you don't read anything except your own drivel.

^^ @Nisa

My post was in response to your assertion that "Certainly there must be some public record ...... of their (sic) being a tendency for Thailand's courts to convict innocent people." An excessively high conviction rate is often indicative of a justice system which is somewhat less than impartial. They are not my statistics, they are statistics gathered by the author of the quote.

So concerns by a former Thai senator as to the (seemingly unrecorded and unpublished) rates of criminal conviction by his country's courts are irrelevant? Irrelevant, of course, because they do not happen to support your rose-tinted agenda.

The link to the original source is clearly cited underneath the quotation.

fed up with the people who dont no the story slagging this fella off!! american marines in thailand believe they are above the law....seen lots trouble with pissed up marines---now the gi stay in large groups.

suppose we cannot fight back_when challanged...unfortantly a man has died....thats the miscarrage here.

thais cannot translate english_they read from american books and use american slang,.....its comical some of the words my thai lady use.

i purchased a english dictionary here in the uk_not a copy in thailand...........and her accent has improved almost 70% now she realize not everything same/same..

...an eyewitness says she saw the murder take place ( with the accused murderer stabbing the victim)...

A link to Longfellow's gf's account of the murder in the Phukette Gazette.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2010/article9088.html

Also some links to Thai news sources giving more info on the incident:

Siangtai Daily

Khomchadleuk

Phuket Post

...an eyewitness says she saw the murder take place ( with the accused murderer stabbing the victim)...

A link to Longfellow's gf's account of the murder in the Phukette Gazette.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2010/article9088.html

Also some links to Thai news sources giving more info on the incident:

Siangtai Daily

Khomchadleuk

Phuket Post

I think the problem here is the report in the PhuketWan from 15th Aug that details the time line of what happenned that night and makes several points that contradict the reports here and in the Phuket Gazette.

Bearing in mind the Swede that was reportedly attacked by 10 Thais which later turned into a couple of fellow Swedes, it might not be best to take as gospel what is reported in the papers especially very soon after an incident has happenned.

Links to PW aren't allowed but I am sure that ppl can find it for themselves if they google the report from 15th Aug about How a War Hero Died in Phuket.

• 2 weeks later...

A few things.

A) Thailand is on the Human Rights Watch List for countless violations, especially regarding prison conditions. His attorney's will probably be all over that in an effort to stop it.

B) The U.S. actually DOES have jurisdiction, and grounds to request he be sent there for trial, due to the fact that he not only killed a U.S. Citizen, but a member of the U.S. Military who was on medical leave from active duty. I think maybe they might be waiting to see what happens with the extradition to Thailand. If this scumbag is able to successfully stop being sent to Thailand, then the U.S. will probably start extradition proceedings to have him brought there for trial.

As a former Marine myself (20 yrs), I would love to see them send this guy to visit the unit Dashawn was part of. Trust me, justice would be served.

Agree!

A few things.

A) Thailand is on the Human Rights Watch List for countless violations, especially regarding prison conditions. His attorney's will probably be all over that in an effort to stop it.

B) The U.S. actually DOES have jurisdiction, and grounds to request he be sent there for trial, due to the fact that he not only killed a U.S. Citizen, but a member of the U.S. Military who was on medical leave from active duty. I think maybe they might be waiting to see what happens with the extradition to Thailand. If this scumbag is able to successfully stop being sent to Thailand, then the U.S. will probably start extradition proceedings to have him brought there for trial.

As a former Marine myself (20 yrs), I would love to see them send this guy to visit the unit Dashawn was part of. Trust me, justice would be served.

Agree!

The you are as bad as the murderer if indeed he is guilty. Please can we leave out these mythical marine codes,

Continuous nitpicking over wording in news articles is off-topic to the point it is becoming trollish in nature. If you wish to discredit the source of information, feel free to provide your own source. One post removed, any more posts of the same nature will continue to be removed.

Does the UK have the death penalty? If so, than all 3 countries have the death penalty. This cowardly murder should warrant death, regardless where it occurred. Next time you got your arrogant butt kick by a combat hardened US Marine, and as embarrassing as it may be, just go home.

No the UK doesn't, except for treason i think - The right to life is rightly sanctioned by the government irrespective of the crime. Having served alongside US Marines in my Army days I know they are professional in every way and are mainly a great bunch of lads who take pride in their work.

Unfortunatly for the family of the deceased this British lad won't be sent to a Thai prision as it goes against all basic tenements of the UK and EU rights system. My own view is that the US should seek his extradition to the US to stand trial and be placed in a US prison if found guilty . Not sure if that will fly legally but i think it is the best way for justice to be served. I think you'll fund being a foreign national, in the US prison system, convicted of killing a US Marine will not be a nice experience either.

I am a Brit and I can tell you the UK / EU rights system is the biggest load of bull**** going. The death sentence should be brought back.

My opinion is the crime was committed in Thailand therefore the punishment should be served in Thailand. If the penalty is the death sentence then so be it.

Does the UK have the death penalty? If so, than all 3 countries have the death penalty. This cowardly murder should warrant death, regardless where it occurred. Next time you got your arrogant butt kick by a combat hardened US Marine, and as embarrassing as it may be, just go home.

No the UK doesn't, except for treason i think - The right to life is rightly sanctioned by the government irrespective of the crime. Having served alongside US Marines in my Army days I know they are professional in every way and are mainly a great bunch of lads who take pride in their work.

Unfortunatly for the family of the deceased this British lad won't be sent to a Thai prision as it goes against all basic tenements of the UK and EU rights system. My own view is that the US should seek his extradition to the US to stand trial and be placed in a US prison if found guilty . Not sure if that will fly legally but i think it is the best way for justice to be served. I think you'll fund being a foreign national, in the US prison system, convicted of killing a US Marine will not be a nice experience either.

I am a Brit and I can tell you the UK / EU rights system is the biggest load of bull**** going. The death sentence should be brought back.

My opinion is the crime was committed in Thailand therefore the punishment should be served in Thailand. If the penalty is the death sentence then so be it.

The Brits got rid of the death penalty (I think) as a result of too many miscarriages of justice.

Are you one of those that believe the odd innocent person being hanged is OK?

As for this topic re. - Aldhouse, it certainly seems as if he is a 'waste of space', but anyone relying on newspaper reports of the murder is misguided at best..... Newspapers are only interested in selling papers - truth comes way down the list in their priorities.

Well I'm going out in a few minutes, if that's allowed. :rolleyes:

As for an answer, I'm afraid I didn't see a question. I'm sure there's lots of information reported on the 'witness' in this thread. Though some reports are that she was asleep and only woke up as 'a man' was leaving through the door. Take a look through the thread perhaps.

No, you take a look at the article where she states she witnessed it.

http://www.phuketgaz...rticle9088.html

More off topic posts concerning grammar etc. have been removed.

Considering that this is the fourth public warning for off topic and trollish response on this page alone, I will ask that if you cannot post on topic, do not bother posting, or your posting privilege may be arbitrarily withdrawn.

A few things.

Agree!

Before or after guilt is proven in court.

A few things.

Agree!

Before or after guilt is proven in court.

After, of course.

All anyone wants is for him to be brought back to Thailand to have his day in court.

Why on earth anyone would not want someone to be answerable to charges is beyond my comprehension. :blink:

Well are you in anyway familiar with the local justice system?

The word 'justice' doesn't really fit in to a description. :rolleyes:

But back on topic people, please.

Why are all the Brits so argumentative?

Sweeping generalisation. How many Brits have you met and what % of the British population is that? I am a Brit an in my opinion Aldhouse should be brought back to Thailand for trial because this is where the crime was committed. It is up to the courts to decide whether he is guilty or not. There are some fair point being made about British and EU courts allowing this to happen. It does not mean that all Brits agree with this.Please leave out the ' I was a marine for 20 years and we will deal with him' crap. This is not a Hollywood movie script it's reality.

Why on earth anyone would not want someone to be answerable to charges is beyond my comprehension. :blink:

Well are you in anyway familiar with the local justice system?

The word 'justice' doesn't really fit in to a description. :rolleyes:

You're fond of making statement like this, but so far have come up with no evidence whatsoever -- whether anecdotal, empirical, or other -- that there are more innocent people locked up in Thailand than in other country.

Regardless, it is the place the crime was committed and the only place where a trial can take place. There is no alternative, other than letting him go free to (potentially and allegedly) kill someone else.

For the record, is that what you want? And where are the "many" people who feel the same way?

*chirp* *chirp*