Expats -- If You Had A Million Dollars, Would You Stay In Thailand?

Jingthing

Millon Dollars! Poll is for expats living in Thailand only, thanks  

202 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If I had a million dollars it wouldn't be that much in my home country (Switzerland - Valais). Barely enough to build a home in a quiet place and pay taxes.

And, as unbelievable as it sounds, I feel much more secure in northern Thailand than In my hometown invaded by hordes of fake refugees (thank to the Shengen agreement) .

I' ll definitely prefer to live here than in the nightmare imposed by the lazy Euro - fanatics.

I'll die here rather than living in a place where locals. elderly get less help than immigrants. (most of them involved in illegal traffics).

believe me or not, UE and the swiss leftists successed in making this place a third world zone.

Edited by Nawak

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd buy a temple so i could do the culture thing every day.

By buying a "temple" is that code to mean you'd marry a bargirl?

A temple can be whatever your imaginations wants it to be....if your temple dream is a BG....then so be it....but it ain't mine.

it isn't Jingthing's either .................

I would split it 4 ways.

25% each to me,my wife, our son who is 7 but he wouldn't be able to touch the basic sum until he is perhaps 23 or so and the other 25% to our living expenses.

I would take my wife and son back to the UK to show them where my family comes from, give my son, his partner and my grandson a hand and probably find where my ex-wife lives and ....

The rest I would blow on a party for my friends.

Hmmm 25%+25%+25%+25% = 100%.

Forget the party. If my friends knew I had $1,000,000 I would suddenly gain a lot more friends.

Why not? Money has little to do with what I enjoy and the people I spend time with. I can only sit on one chair at a time, sleep in one bed at a time and eat one meal at a sitting. I'm happier sitting around a campfire with good friends than sitting in a 5 star hotel with maids and servents carrying out my wishes.

I would split it 4 ways.

25% each to me,my wife, our son who is 7 but he wouldn't be able to touch the basic sum until he is perhaps 23 or so and the other 25% to our living expenses.

I would take my wife and son back to the UK to show them where my family comes from, give my son, his partner and my grandson a hand and probably find where my ex-wife lives and ....

The rest I would blow on a party for my friends.

Hmmm 25%+25%+25%+25% = 100%.

Forget the party. If my friends knew I had $1,000,000 I would suddenly gain a lot more friends.

You might not have a million $, but you have a big heart!

It's very elitist indeed to maintain that having a liquid mil wouldn't change most people's lives. Live in your bubbles if you like, but again, that's real money. In any case, I thought I made it quite clear in the OP, a mil isn't what it used to be. Why this focus on the number? If a mil is nothing to you, think about what having a number that is something to you would mean. I am sorry if people don't get the spirit of my question. Some people are so literal! This is in the F-RANG PUB for Ra's sake; it's not a supreme court case.

i fully agree that my life would be completely changed having a million dollars because i would be forced to live like a pauper. <_<

now waiting patiently for a dozen bitchy comments :lol:

Yep, I'd stay.

It's not the money, but the lifestyle and atmosphere.

Obviously have led a sheltered life..

If you only knew me and know of what you speak.

Just didn't seem like an answer of anyone who has actually traveled and lived in much of the world and is somehow sheltered and duped by the only place they've lived much of their life in.. Meaning there's hundreds of places with equal or better lifestyle IMO.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Why not? Money has little to do with what I enjoy and the people I spend time with. I can only sit on one chair at a time, sleep in one bed at a time and eat one meal at a sitting. I'm happier sitting around a campfire with good friends than sitting in a 5 star hotel with maids and servents carrying out my wishes.

Really? Are the ladies you always make mention of all for free?? Having money doesn't mean you have to flaunt it by spending it on 5 star hotels and servants....

Really? Are the ladies you always make mention of all for free?? Having money doesn't mean you have to flaunt it by spending it on 5 star hotels and servants....

It's all about image, WS. Nothing more, nothing less....:jap: :rolleyes:

It's all about image, WS. Nothing more, nothing less....:jap: :rolleyes:

I could live a very comfortable, care free life on that xtra amount without the need for so much flash I'm just practical that way, Hot Pot buffet does me just fine...

To date, the survey is showing we have 12 millionaires......:whistling::rolleyes:

US Dollar millionaires.....ten a penny.....coffee1.gif

WRONG!

In the US, it's about TWO PERCENT on the population having a net worth over one million dollars. The poll btw was meant to mean having one million dollars LIQUID so an even smaller percentage would have that.

Edited by Jingthing

To date, the survey is showing we have 12 millionaires......:whistling::rolleyes:

Okay, okay....let's just say i only anticipated a projection of a not so distant exchange rate of the thai Bahts i have in my pocket, if the world economy keeps going the way it is.....:lol:

I have lived many place around the world including at hte oceans edge in Hawaii

I would stay in Thailand, Chiang Mia is my home And after seeing other place I have ecided this is where I want to be.

Have a list of Maybe with the money . . .

Maybe a better condo at the beach for holidays

Maybe another Motorcyle or two because 9 is just not enough

Maybe another car

I do need a new truck just sold mine

Maybe a better home with a little more land to do things on, but still close in the area I am in now.

Better opertunites for my Daughter, At my age I am not going to change much

Oh, and yes, ride more and see more of wonderful Thailand !

^At least you might get some taste in furniture....

like the one your Thai wife selected to furnish your home? :ermm:

yep...glad you agree. Certainly better than anything you seem to have....art wise also......but as they say, good taste cannot be bought.

i fully agree that my life would be completely changed having a million dollars because i would be forced to live like a pauper. <_<

You would have to fire your tri-lingual, stock broker/gardener for incompetence. :huh:

Totally off topic, but I had a tri-lingual dog, he understood German, English and Thai, all equally well. So not sure why a tri-lingual gardener would be such a big deal - some learn more easily than others, as my dog clearly shows ;)

Anyway, a million dollars isn't a huge amount in Thailand but it would be nice and if Naam would like to offer me a million from his pocket change I wouldn't say no :P

WRONG!

In the US, it's about TWO PERCENT on the population having a net worth over one million dollars. The poll btw was meant to mean having one million dollars LIQUID so an even smaller percentage would have that.

Well 2% of Americans is a lot of people to start with. Also those with money are far more likely to travel.

USD millionaires are far more likely to be savvy with their money so less likely to have it tied up in houses etc in Thailand therefore having more liquid assets. I wouldn't buy a house in Thailand given the land ownership situation. No sane and sensible person would.

I'd stay - I'd certainly get a better car, a nice new house, a top of the range computer set up and do more with our land. I'd also bring family over for extended stays - some have not been able to visit me here and I haven't been home in over 2 years. The rest (assuming there is any!) I would put in a high interest account and just leave it ---- thouigh in reality Mrs would probably invest it in more Marcossian things (i.e. shoes and handbags!). We are in the process of shipping over stuff we have had in storage back in the UK for a while - 14 boxes of the Mrs' shoes, hand bags and clothes - and they are bigish boxes (1Mx.5MX.5M) - that's after a massive sort out (actually 3 sort outs) and only what she left in storage! Million bucks? Gucci says thank you!

WRONG!

Well 2% of Americans is a lot of people to start with. Also those with money are far more likely to travel.

USD millionaires are far more likely to be savvy with their money so less likely to have it tied up in houses etc in Thailand therefore having more liquid assets. I wouldn't buy a house in Thailand given the land ownership situation. No sane and sensible person would.

I think I saw something the other day that said those 2% of Americans that are millionaires receives 64% of the nations total incomes?

Could have been that Michael Moore film?