Expats -- If You Had A Million Dollars, Would You Stay In Thailand?

Jingthing

Millon Dollars! Poll is for expats living in Thailand only, thanks  

202 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys is a million US Dollars really that much these days??, when I consider equity in home, small investments, assets, super, I'm pretty close to a US Million, but I consider myself very very average at best here in Australia. remember our $ is about 1.07 US ATM

Since my divorce, I am one of the poorest people I know, quite seriously!!!!

I could be wrong and please tell me if I'm talking shit here, but is Us 1 million enought to retire on in thailand, I seriously doubt it, if you have 30 years ahead.

Guys is a million US Dollars really that much these days??, when I consider equity in home, small investments, assets, super, I'm pretty close to a US Million, but I consider myself very very average at best here in Australia. remember our $ is about 1.07 US ATM

I could be wrong and please tell me if I'm talking shit here, but is Us 1 million enought to retire on in thailand, I seriously doubt it, if you have 30 years ahead.

I can only answer with the same reply I always give... It depends.

It depends on how much you can get back if you invest the money and take out some of the interest earned each month.

And, it depends on the life style you expect to have.

I have a pension of 70,000 baht each month. I can save money on that amount and still have a great life here in Thailand. But, I am single and have simple tastes. And, I don't have to support any children if I didn't want to. My only real expenses are my women friends. If I left women alone I could live on 15000 baht a month quite nicely. I've worked out what I spend each month many times and the figures keep coming up the same. It jumps a bit when I travel, but even that falls within the 15000 baht.

Edited by IanForbes

With $1 million invested in secure financial instruments returning either dividends or interest, the max recommended withdrawal rate 4% a year. Simple math $40K USD in today's dollars would afford you a nice middle-class lifestyle in Thailand. As long as your investments don't tank and you don't get drained dry by your new terrak you should be golden. Do some research or talk to a financial planner.