Expats -- If You Had A Million Dollars, Would You Stay In Thailand?

Jingthing

Millon Dollars! Poll is for expats living in Thailand only, thanks  

202 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are no such [invented] standards or absolutes as to what qualifies: good taste.

Yes there is...Naam's furniture is about 50 pegs below the marker....so use that as your gauge from now on......

how many "pegs" above the marker without a Thai wife, three luk kreungs and no washbasins mounted above the slab? :huh:

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no such [invented] standards or absolutes as to what qualifies: good taste.

Yes there is...Naam's furniture is about 50 pegs below the marker....so use that as your gauge from now on......

how many "pegs" above the marker without a Thai wife, three luk kreungs and no washbasins mounted above the slab? :huh:

The most important thing here is that you like your tacky crap and can live amongst it without feeling ill......some people envy you for that.

The most important thing here is that you like your tacky crap and can live amongst it without feeling ill......some people envy you for that.

envy? what about those people and their irrelevant bitching about other people's furniture (of which they have no idea) in a thread with the topic "if you had a million dollars...?" NOT "tell us what you think of other people's furniture?"

anybody with an IQ above 82.5 reading their postings will realise the underlying motives in a fraction of a second.

av-11672.gif

Poll Update: currently showing 24 millioniares.:unsure:

Lovely.....

It would be more if Naam could vote once for every million he has.

since monday i spent more than a fistful of millions. and that without buying any "tacky" furniture. my hotel bill is ~11 million per night, breakfast for two included. but then it is easy to be a millionaire in a country where a US-Dollar fetches 21,000 Dong :lol:

I bet you a MILLION DOLLARS that 29 percent (the current tally) of Thaivisa.com members are NOT millionaires! Caveat, that was a rhetorical statement only for entertainment purposes only as I don't have a million dollars. And neither do 29 percent of you guys. This poll shows very well how massively meaningless Thaivisa poll results are.

Seriously, that result is total BS. I reckon less than 5 percent of thaivisa.com members are worth that.

Edited by Jingthing

I bet you a MILLION DOLLARS that 29 percent (the current tally) of Thaivisa.com members are NOT millionaires! Caveat, that was a rhetorical statement only for entertainment purposes only as I don't have a million dollars. And neither do 29 percent of you guys. This poll shows very well how massively meaningless Thaivisa poll results are.

Seriously, that result is total BS. I reckon less than 5 percent of thaivisa.com members are worth that.

Considering that as of 1 minute ago there are 126,908 member of ThaiVisa that would put the number of millionaires at 6,354 so there's still a few left to vote.

Edit: even taking the number of members active in the last 60 minutes (11,648) then 582 are millionaires.

Edited by PattayaParent

Considering that as of 1 minute ago there are 126,908 member of ThaiVisa that would put the number of millionaires at 6,354 so there's still a few left to vote.

That isn't really my point. Polls are ALWAYS samplings. I just don't believe the results of this sampling. Keep in mind that internet polls like this are the opposite of scientific polling.

I think I would live in Thailand in a nice condo on a very very good golf course. I'd find a couple of mates that were not that well off and buy them a club membership and every couple of days just have a game.

Relaxing with some fishing, play golf, have some beers with friends. Not much else I could ask for really.

May not even take a million, but I still can't afford it.

I ticked the "already got it" box. 1MUSD really isnt very much, these days. Maybe there should be a drop-down list for "I''ve got it x times over"?

That aside, I stay here simply because most other places are worse than here, not because here is especially good any more.

If there was somewhere else that had easy retirement visas, decent climate, decent internet connections and cable TV, cheap tasty food and reasonable accommodation (with the possibility of buying my own condo), not mostly farang, and where I probably wont get knifed whilst buying noodle soup at midnight, I suspect I would go there instead.

"De gustibus non est disputandum, de gustibus autem malis, immo."

= contradiction

My first thought was "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen, [pseudo]-philosophers and divines.” But actually, I think that “Consistency [and the requirement therefor] is the last refuge of the unimaginative.” is more relevant. Latin translation in progress.....

I ticked the "already got it" box. 1MUSD really isnt very much, these days. Maybe there should be a drop-down list for "I''ve got it x times over"?

That aside, I stay here simply because most other places are worse than here, not because here is especially good any more.

If there was somewhere else that had easy retirement visas, decent climate, decent internet connections and cable TV, cheap tasty food and reasonable accommodation (with the possibility of buying my own condo), not mostly farang, and where I probably wont get knifed whilst buying noodle soup at midnight, I suspect I would go there instead.

If it's not so much, why do less than 2 percent of Americans have that much? Sorry, I am not buying this everyone is a millionaire bill of goods.

If it's not so much, why do less than 2 percent of Americans have that much?

That intrigued me also.

Possibly because anyone still living in the US (or the UK or Europe) would probably still own an expensive house that isn't counted as part of the million? I would have perhaps 40% less cash if I still owned the last European house I lived in.

Or maybe Americans spend a lot and dont save? One third of all Britons have no savings, I think.

Or maybe the statistic is just plain wrong?

since monday i spent more than a fistful of millions. and that without buying any "tacky" furniture. my hotel bill is ~11 million per night, breakfast for two included. but then it is easy to be a millionaire in a country where a US-Dollar fetches 21,000 Dong :lol:

You do make me laugh Naam. Do I wish I was rich? Of course I do! biggrin.gif

I recently did a tour of Vietnam with a pal of mine and we stayed in 10-20$ rooms right down the coast. My favourite was the 10$(cheapest!) in Hue. I liked Hue an interesting place.

After bussing it right down the coast over a 10 day period (total cost 48$ if I remember right) we were sick of parking our <deleted> on long bus trips. Kindly lend me the Merc will ya for our next trip!!

I admit to splashing out 50$ a night on the Saigon room...which turned out to be the smallest and crappiest of the whole trip. What a disappointment.

If I'd been on my own I'd have sacked that one and moved round the corner into the Park Hyatt.....laugh.gif

Edited by smokie36

If it's not so much, why do less than 2 percent of Americans have that much?

That intrigued me also.

Possibly because anyone still living in the US (or the UK or Europe) would probably still own an expensive house that isn't counted as part of the million? I would have perhaps 40% less cash if I still owned the last European house I lived in.

Or maybe Americans spend a lot and dont save? One third of all Britons have no savings, I think.

Or maybe the statistic is just plain wrong?

The stat is based on NET WORTH so yes real estate equity would count.

I recently did a tour of Vietnam with a pal of mine and we stayed in 10-20$ rooms right down the coast. My favourite was the 10$(cheapest!) in Hue.

Smokie,

there is a big difference in cost between going with a pal to Viet Nam or going with your wife to celebrate for the 12th time her 49th birthday B)

it also seems obvious that your hotel in Hue did not provide the services as specified hereafter:

Rate includes

==========

� Accommodation in Presidential Suite

� In room check in & check out

� Choice of Buffet Breakfast for two in Le Soie Restaurant or A La Carte breakfast

in room

� Choice of Exclusive dinner with a bottle of champagne in Bellisimo Restaurant or in room service

� Complimentary Packing/Unpacking service

� Personal butler available 24HRS a day for the duration of your stay

� Complimentary laundry & pressing of garments

� Amazing bouquet of Flowers and Hotel Gift

� VIP ticket to enjoy the show of water puppet including transportation for two

� Complimentary House Cocktails upon arrival

� Relax the body, sooth the soul, and lift the spirit at the best day spa in Hanoi with:

30 minutes Rose Bathing for two

60 minutes personalised massage for two (Choice of Aromatherapy

or Traditional Vietnamese Body massage or Foot massage)

60 minutes natural facial massage for two

Spa manicure or pedicure for two

� Round trip airport transportation

� Check In/Out at the time of your leisure

� Free internet access in room and wifi throughout the hotel

� Complimentary use of GYM, Jacuzzi & Steam, Sauna

� Complimentary usage of Business Center service including computer, incoming fax.

� In-room tea / coffee making facilities

you forgot to mention one of Thailand's big advantages Darrel, namely the fact that the local taxman does not stick his claws into your pocket over and over and over again and demands his share from the proceeds of your hard-earned savings.

unfortunately there is no "somewhere else" which meets all our demands. every location has some flaws. personally i think Thailand has only one big flaw and that is its shitty² climate. having said so, i admit that i do mutter about other things too. but none is (presently) serious enough to make me think of moving.

WiFi was free...cool.gif

Edit: It seems in your case it was added in to the price.

not really. fact is that we got a discount of more than 50% of the regular price.

needless to mention that we said "no, thank you!" to most of the offered amenities.

Edited by Naam

WiFi was free...cool.gif

Edit: It seems in your case it was added in to the price.

not really. fact is that we got a discount of more than 50% of the regular price.

needless to mention that we said "no, thank you!" to most of the offered amenities.

Sounds like good value for money. I like that whatever the price range. thumbsup.gif

Sounds like good value for money. I like that whatever the price range. thumbsup.gif

we have stayed in hotels with top service but this time it was too much fuss for our liking. three people taking ages to lay the table arranging flowers between crockery and cutlery when ordering room service. and when they were done the scrambled breakfast eggs or the dinner dishes were room temperature <_< walking through the lobby and fending off people who wanted to kiss our feet :ermm:

but some of the services were very much appreciated, e.g. when stepping out of the aircraft being met by the "personal butler" who handled immigration without the need to queue up, took care of the luggage and guided us to a limousine :)

we have stayed in hotels with top service but this time it was too much fuss for our liking. three people taking ages to lay the table arranging flowers between crockery and cutlery when ordering room service. and when they were done the scrambled breakfast eggs or the dinner dishes were room temperature <_< walking through the lobby and fending off people who wanted to kiss our feet :ermm:

but some of the services were very much appreciated, e.g. when stepping out of the aircraft being met by the "personal butler" who handled immigration without the need to queue up, took care of the luggage and guided us to a limousine :)

A pauper like me will just have to be content with the fawning in the Emirates first class lounge at Dubai ....for now at least! biggrin.gif

I recently did a tour of Vietnam with a pal of mine and we stayed in 10-20$ rooms right down the coast. My favourite was the 10$(cheapest!) in Hue.

Smokie,

there is a big difference in cost between going with a pal to Viet Nam or going with your wife to celebrate for the 12th time her 49th birthday B)

it also seems obvious that your hotel in Hue did not provide the services as specified hereafter:

Rate includes

==========

� Accommodation in Presidential Suite

� In room check in & check out

� Choice of Buffet Breakfast for two in Le Soie Restaurant or A La Carte breakfast

in room

� Choice of Exclusive dinner with a bottle of champagne in Bellisimo Restaurant or in room service

� Complimentary Packing/Unpacking service

� Personal butler available 24HRS a day for the duration of your stay

� Complimentary laundry & pressing of garments

� Amazing bouquet of Flowers and Hotel Gift

� VIP ticket to enjoy the show of water puppet including transportation for two

� Complimentary House Cocktails upon arrival

� Relax the body, sooth the soul, and lift the spirit at the best day spa in Hanoi with:

30 minutes Rose Bathing for two

60 minutes personalised massage for two (Choice of Aromatherapy

or Traditional Vietnamese Body massage or Foot massage)

60 minutes natural facial massage for two

Spa manicure or pedicure for two

� Round trip airport transportation

� Check In/Out at the time of your leisure

� Free internet access in room and wifi throughout the hotel

� Complimentary use of GYM, Jacuzzi & Steam, Sauna

� Complimentary usage of Business Center service including computer, incoming fax.

� In-room tea / coffee making facilities

Good for you Naam.

I hope that both you and your wife thoroughly enjoyed your stay.

you forgot to mention one of Thailand's big advantages Darrel, namely the fact that the local taxman does not stick his claws into your pocket over and over and over again and demands his share from the proceeds of your hard-earned savings.

That's very true also.

...... personally i think Thailand has only one big flaw and that is its shitty² climate. .......

Doesn't seem too bad to me, in Pattaya. A bit over-hot perhaps (I would certainly vote for an average 4 or 5 degrees less all year, but I dont expect to get it!), but it seems to rain a lot less often here than it does in some other parts of the country.

A pauper like me will just have to be content with the fawning in the Emirates first class lounge at Dubai ....for now at least! biggrin.gif

which was, whenever i used it, crowded like Walking Street in Pattaya during high season in the evenings. talking about lounges... Mrs Naam nearly got a fit yesterday when we entered the lounge dirty dump :bah: shared by a dozen airlines at Hanoi airport. i refrain to describe some details because nobody will believe me.

which was, whenever i used it, crowded like Walking Street in Pattaya during high season in the evenings. talking about lounges... Mrs Naam nearly got a fit yesterday when we entered the lounge dirty dump :bah: shared by a dozen airlines at Hanoi airport. i refrain to describe some details because nobody will believe me.

I'm assuming its some time since you travelled through Dubai Mr Naam as the new first class lounge is enormous. Indeed it was a full five minutes walk through all the different eating and spa areas before I arrived at the champagne bar.

Furtunately a glass was quickly delivered to my table as I got comfy on the leather sofa....oh and the waiter had the good sense to bring an ashtray and lighter without being asked. smile.gif

I think I spotted two other customers in the couple of hours I spent there.

I'm assuming its some time since you travelled through Dubai Mr Naam as the new first class lounge is enormous. Indeed it was a full five minutes walk through all the different eating and spa areas before I arrived at the champagne bar.

Furtunately a glass was quickly delivered to my table as I got comfy on the leather sofa....oh and the waiter had the good sense to bring an ashtray and lighter without being asked. smile.gif

I think I spotted two other customers in the couple of hours I spent there.

indeed! it must be at least five years since we don't use Emirates. not only because of inconvenient connection times in Dubai but mainly due to some special circumstances as we fly first with Qatar but paying business fare. nothing wrong with the Dubai lounges (both first and business), food and drinks are excellent (much better than Qatar in Doha).