Expats -- If You Had A Million Dollars, Would You Stay In Thailand?

Jingthing

Millon Dollars! Poll is for expats living in Thailand only, thanks  

202 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange ain't it ..the need for some humans to leave their comfortable homes and go sit in the bush someplace and sleep in a box.

....when I used to sail in BC we would be out in the rain wet, uncomfortable etc sleeping down in a fiberglass cave at night and I used to wonder <deleted> am I doing this for...all good fun though..

re the million..probably buy an old wooden ketch for a few thousand and spend my time piddling about with it...the rest I would just have to throw at the marine supply store...lol

There is a reason, David. That cramped camping spot is located walking distance from a lovely stream estuary and beach where we catch salmon for a few months in the summer. It is quite a lovely spot and the fishing is fantastic.

Ian_with_Pink_salmon.jpg

Eve_River_meadow_2.jpg

People pay thousands of dollars for a cruise liner trip just to see the same thing we see for free, and I doubt if they have as much fun.

Cruise_liner_1.jpg

• Like 1

now looking forward to read more essays with topics "i'm simple man. if suddenly i had a million dollars i would..."

-donate the money to the successor of Mother Theresa,

-have no idea how much that is,

-still not sit at more than one campfire at the same time,

-convert that in Chang and Leo, sell the empty cans and be a rich man,

-close the outhouse and build an indoor bathroom,

-replace the pink, blue, green, red tiles in my living room with granite or marble,

-buy a new lawnmower,

-never tell anybody that i acquired taste by reading the book "how to acquire taste",

-run the ceiling fans day and night not worried about the electricity bill,

-buy a fridge because i'm p*ssed off by drinking a cold Chang sitting on the steps of a 7/11,

-sell the Honda Wave and buy a luxury 4-door limousine. perhaps... a Honda Jazz,

-go to a pub in Darwin and buy a few Foster's for my former mates,

-stop bitching about people who also have a million dollars or more.

:lol:

Addendum to the above post,

'-sell the Honda Wave and buy a luxury 4-door limousine. perhaps... a Honda Jazz,'

Change the Honda to a Fortuna, the ultimate I have arrived (but dont have a pot to piss in) car.

Edited by rgs2001uk

Sorry but for you to claim some sort of special "kismet from the Gods" is really low class which just proves having lots of money doesn't buy one any if one doesn't have it to begin with....

Warp,

would you please be kind enough and translate that in a language i understand? i've tried hard but have no idea what you are trying to say. even Mrs Naam, who is a native english speaker, has no clue whatsoever.

:huh:

Yes, exactly...

a comprehensive explanation. thanks for going through that much trouble :ph34r:

I tried once it didn't work so why walk down the same path again? I think that's the definition of insanity :wacko: ... The premise behind the post escapes you not being able to relate, so no point in beating a dead horse..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Strange ain't it ..the need for some humans to leave their comfortable homes and go sit in the bush someplace and sleep in a box.

....when I used to sail in BC we would be out in the rain wet, uncomfortable etc sleeping down in a fiberglass cave at night and I used to wonder <deleted> am I doing this for...all good fun though..

re the million..probably buy an old wooden ketch for a few thousand and spend my time piddling about with it...the rest I would just have to throw at the marine supply store...lol

There is a reason, David. That cramped camping spot is located walking distance from a lovely stream estuary and beach where we catch salmon for a few months in the summer. It is quite a lovely spot and the fishing is fantastic.

Ian_with_Pink_salmon.jpg

Eve_River_meadow_2.jpg

People pay thousands of dollars for a cruise liner trip just to see the same thing we see for free, and I doubt if they have as much fun.

Cruise_liner_1.jpg

Thats looks nice.....I would love to take my kids there fishing one day....a place like that is on the to do list.......list is so long and only so many school holidays.

• Like 1

Some people are so literal!

Excellent! I like that a lot.

If I had a million pounds (GBP), I'd stay.

If I had significantly more, I'd be off to the French Riviera or the Bahamas.

Thailand is okay. But if we're 100% honest with ourselves, it's basically a dump.

Hear! Hear! Couldn't agree more...........

Some people are so literal!

Excellent! I like that a lot.

If I had a million pounds (GBP), I'd stay.

If I had significantly more, I'd be off to the French Riviera or the Bahamas.

Thailand is okay. But if we're 100% honest with ourselves, it's basically a dump.

Hear! Hear! Couldn't agree more...........

even dumps have advantages. the French Riviera has the French taxman who is very greedy. a house which is 5 million Baht in Thailand is 60 million Baht in the Bahamas (plus the annual premium for hurricane insurance).

Lets see 1 Mil and I could buy a small flat in Sydney and get a job stacking shelves in the supermarket. No don't think so. Now if it were 10 or 20 mil, a beach front villa in the Med, with a 40 foot yacht moored out front might be on the cards. Jim

Or you could buy a large villa with land in Cuenca Ecuador for 200K (or a large modern highrise condo for 80K), get residency in a few years, and never work again if you didn't want to. Nobody's making you live in Sydney.

Never mind the $1M, which I have.

A few years ago I read a glowing report about life as an expat in Ecuador. I think it was in the UK Daily Mail (which I read online everyday).

I remember that the very affordable housing there (for us, expats) was a main attraction point.

Did a quick Google research that confirmed me to think that it'd be a good thing for me to pull stakes from LOS (I have a place in BKK and one in Pattaya).

I even speak fairly good Spanish.

But I didn't make the move. Too deep in my LOS routine life.

Too late now. I'm getting on years.

Still, I think that retiring in Ecuador would have been very good for me.

It is kind of sad when you see these wealthy Thais with their outrageously tacky furniture and designs in their homes....thinking they are stylish.....even sadder when you see foreigners do it when they should know better...but don't.

What brings you to the conclusion that foreigners should know better?

Exposure to good taste.....was not that long ago thais wore the equivalent of the safari suit to work..

There are no such [invented] standards or absolutes as to what qualifies: good taste.

There are no such [invented] standards or absolutes as to what qualifies: good taste.

Whenever the doubt arise if it's good taste, just give it a bite, if it tastes bad then it was not a good taste...:jap: ....hope people don't mind having some dented furnitures :lol:

thread question:

If You Had A Million Dollars, Would You Stay In Thailand? If not, what would you do, and why?

thread result:

going fishing in Canada and burn furniture in Darwin (school holidays permitting)

Its amusing isn't it. You give people a million dollars which they would queue for many eons to receive and they don't know what to do with it.

In Bangkok I could spend it within a few months I think but on Samui it would last me roughly fourteen years.

So long as I didn't buy a property in a fit of madness....

thread question:

If You Had A Million Dollars, Would You Stay In Thailand? If not, what would you do, and why?

thread result:

going fishing in Canada and burn furniture in Darwin (school holidays permitting)

:lol: :lol:

Yah, but I also go camping and fishing in Thailand, and wouldn't have it any other way. Sharing good times with fine friends is what is what the "high life" is all about.

Thai_mahseer_1.sized.jpg

The_group_3.jpg

Bier_Jed_10.jpg

And barbequed pork ribs over a small cooker are just as tasty as the ones from the best of the restaurants.

New_Years_2010_11_051.sized.jpg

• Like 1

Exposure to good taste.....was not that long ago thais wore the equivalent of the safari suit to work..

age old wisdom: "de gustibus non est disputandum!"

age old wisdom: "de gustibus non est disputandum!"

"De gustibus non est disputandum, de gustibus autem malis, immo."

1 million or 100 million, the issue is more about where in the world is there a large pool of relatively slimmer younger females wiling to cozy up to us old, smelly, fat guys.

If you had 100 Mill, then the answer to your question would be: Just about anywhere.

1 million or 100 million, the issue is more about where in the world is there a large pool of relatively slimmer younger females wiling to cozy up to us old, smelly, fat guys.

If you had 100 Mill, then the answer to your question would be: Just about anywhere.

True!

Lets see 1 Mil and I could buy a small flat in Sydney and get a job stacking shelves in the supermarket. No don't think so. Now if it were 10 or 20 mil, a beach front villa in the Med, with a 40 foot yacht moored out front might be on the cards. Jim

Or you could buy 3 houses in Sydney's West, rent them out and live on about $1100 a week... More then enough to be comfortable in most parts of the world and be very comfortable in the cheaper parts...