Expats -- If You Had A Million Dollars, Would You Stay In Thailand?

Jingthing

Millon Dollars! Poll is for expats living in Thailand only, thanks  

202 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There wan't an option for me so I lied and ticked the 'I already have a million dollars'.

For me the answer is that I don't like staying in Thailand all the time. I also love my home country and love travelling. So I would keep an apartment here, but that would be it. Staying in Thailand all the time is just too limiting. There is a great and wonderful world out there.

Having lived and worked in 38 countries in the last 50 years I would most certainly live in Thailand all year around but I would also take my wife and son overseas for a holiday every year.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 mill at 6% interest is 60k a years. not that much is it? and certainly wouldnt substain a flash lifestyle in Syd, NY or london

Would have to stay here no choice really

1. You can do better than 6 percent.

2. You want to die with the million dollars or enjoy it?

"I can only sit on one chair at a time, sleep in one bed at a time and eat one meal at a sitting.." Post from Khun IanForbes.

Same for me.

If I had the choice would I stay with the IndoChine gook or go with the New York heiress?

I'd stay.

Interesting what a poll amongst farangs with bamboo might throw up.

"I can only sit on one chair at a time, sleep in one bed at a time and eat one meal at a sitting.." Post from Khun IanForbes."

That is what poor people say to justify . The quality of the chair , bed and meal is pretty important otherwise we would all be sleeping in the barn with buffalos and mamas noodles would be a treat

When I was looking for an apartment, I could have got a much bigger apartment for very little more. But I didn't. Because I could drink the extra money, and I did not have a cat to swing, in any case.

I don't think Khun Ian ever said that he could only afford a milk crate to sit on, nor that a milk crate was as comfortable as a chair. What he said was that he had certain requirements, and if those were met, enough was enough, and more than enough was unnecessary.

Unfortunately, for some of us, too much is not enough

SC

Age and life span expectations are a factor. You know your age. It isn't all that hard to come up with rational life span estimates by knowing your health, taking online surveys, and knowing the life span of your parents, close relatives. In my view, dying with a big pot of unspent gold is for suckers. Any good financial planner will tell you the same thing -- there is a time to spend the money and yes even spend down principle.

Edited by Jingthing

Street cowboy

Ian may or may not be rich/poor but you rarely hear very wealthy people in general say stuff like that, its all about the attainment of wealth mental approach to life. The poor however love to use saying such as money doesn’t grow on trees you know!

Disclosure: I am neither rich nor poor but did come close to achieving both biggrin.png

Thailand is my home, I wouldn't leave. But I probably would pay off my sister's mortgage and maybe fix up our old house a bit. But I don't need for much, so, no it wouldn't change a thing.

I'd eat Swensens ice cream every day smile.png

Foot massage every day.

Buy a nicer car

Buy a nicer bike.

And relax. jap.gif

I'll drink to that! Ice-cream, massage and a nice ride - the big three!

• Like 1

Street cowboy

Ian may or may not be rich/poor but you rarely hear very wealthy people in general say stuff like that, its all about the attainment of wealth mental approach to life. The poor however love to use saying such as money doesn’t grow on trees you know!

Disclosure: I am neither rich nor poor but did come close to achieving both biggrin.png

Yeah.

And I've been both places too.

Red Shirt/Yellow Shirt?

Get involved with a Thai woman and it's easy to lose the plot. Maybe they just like white and pink?

A post started on the subject of money will always end in angst.

Street cowboy

Yeah.

And I've been both places too.

Red Shirt/Yellow Shirt?

Get involved with a Thai woman and it's easy to lose the plot. Maybe they just like white and pink?

A post started on the subject of money will always end in angst.

PS. Jingthing is an intellectual tosser.

wub.pngcoffee1.gifwub.png

Who is your wife Jingthing? Ever done a tour of Vietnam? Ever stood in front of an IndoChine gook when the helicopter gunships are firing?

PS. Market research, accountancy and academic debate about red shirt yellow shirt democrat republican irritate the shit out of me. Try a dose of napalm.

Personally I like the sound of a tractor in the morning.

wub.pngcoffee1.gifwub.png

Who is your wife Jingthing? Ever done a tour of Vietnam? Ever stood in front of an IndoChine gook when the helicopter gunships are firing?

PS. Market research, accountancy and academic debate about red shirt yellow shirt democrat republican irritate the shit out of me. Try a dose of napalm.

Personally I like the sound of a tractor in the morning.

Yeah

And I don't like these stupid internet graphics.

1 mill at 6% interest is 60k a years. not that much is it? and certainly wouldnt substain a flash lifestyle in Syd, NY or london

"I can only sit on one chair at a time, sleep in one bed at a time and eat one meal at a sitting.." Post from Khun IanForbes.

Same for me.

If I had the choice would I stay with the IndoChine gook or go with the New York heiress?

I'd stay.

"I can only sit on one chair at a time, sleep in one bed at a time and eat one meal at a sitting.." Post from Khun IanForbes."

That is what poor people say to justify . The quality of the chair , bed and meal is pretty important otherwise we would all be sleeping in the barn with buffalos and mamas noodles would be a treat

To justify what?

Nothing wrong with barns, buffalos and mama's noodles. I spend my day making money with people who have no idea about the attraction of these things.

Same for me.

I'd stay.

Yeah.

And girlfriend's brother says "I make omelettes out of ant's nest. I don't want farang money."

Lets see 1 Mil and I could buy a small flat in Sydney and get a job stacking shelves in the supermarket. No don't think so. Now if it were 10 or 20 mil, a beach front villa in the Med, with a 40 foot yacht moored out front might be on the cards. Jim

Or you could buy a large villa with land in Cuenca Ecuador for 200K (or a large modern highrise condo for 80K), get residency in a few years, and never work again if you didn't want to. Nobody's making you live in Sydney.

Ecuador never really thought about that part of the world, but if it was nice would it not be it be full of those North American types. Horrible thought. Jim

No, it's full of those South American types. rolleyes.gif

And Spanish is much easier to learn than Thai for an anglo.

KD, you need to run off back to your Facebook page.

Might be easier to promote your archetype character over there...

I don't have a Facebook page and I'm not on TV forum to improve my internet profile. OK?

I can't believe that you;'re letting your internet profile languish,. You, of all people. DO you never use google?

SC

KD, you need to run off back to your Facebook page.

Might be easier to promote your archetype character over there...

I don't have a Facebook page and I'm not on TV forum to improve my internet profile. OK?

I can't believe that you;'re letting your internet profile languish,. You, of all people. DO you never use google?

SC

Internet profile is my day job. Home made from wood in Thailand is my sanity. I work in advertising. Cheers.

I prefer to live in Thailand. Where else would I want to live on this planet? I live here because I love it. Money would not change that.

I've visited many countries and you know what? I kept coming back here because I enjoyed it so much. It's got all the right ingredients that I've never been able to find in any other country.

Naam I am so pleased I do not live next door to you ! Actually the house next door to me you couldn't afford ! Care to guess how much Naam ?

why would i be interested to guess the price of a house next to you? and what makes you think you can guess what i can afford or not?

huh.png

p.s. i'm glad that nobody who asks silly questions lives next door to me laugh.png