Helmet Stank

KRS1

I've tried washing my helmet by taking out the removable lining, wiping off the inside, drying it out in the sun, putting it behind my home air conditioning compressor fan, soaking the lining overnight in water and laundry detergent. But after about 10 days the same old stank comes back.

<deleted>, how do you deal with it ? Im going to soak the whole dam_n thing underwater tonight, maybe its in the actual protective foam now?

Helmets only 2 months old and smells like its 20 years old. :bah:

Have you tried washing your hair as well? laugh.gif

Only joking, no offence intended.

I was in the same situation only a week back, I managed to get rid of the smell thankfully 2nd time around cleaning it all.

I now wear a bandana type of thing under the helmet to help stop any sweat being absorbed into the lining.

Hope you get sorted.

Try hair shampoo if you haven't already. I use it for my helmets and my cool boxes. I can have gutted fish in the cool box and Thai fermented fish (which had leaked) and a wash with shampoo and water, all smells nice again.

Thanks for the tips fellas. I just dunked and scrubbed the whole helmet in water and dish washing liquid before reading your post.

It looks like a liquid soap (like shampoo) works better than laundry detergent, dissolves and rinses out a lot better. It's hanging up behind my air conditioner right now. I think the laundry detergent was creating some type of thick putrid sludge since its hard to get it too wash out completely.

Dish washing liquid came right out :)

I'll look into the balaclava and bandana also to absorb the funk. :ph34r:

Thanks

oh, i dont have any shampoo because my head is shaved.;)

Thanks for the tips fellas. I just dunked and scrubbed the whole helmet in water and dish washing liquid before reading your post.

It looks like a liquid soap (like shampoo) works better than laundry detergent, dissolves and rinses out a lot better. It's hanging up behind my air conditioner right now. I think the laundry detergent was creating some type of thick putrid sludge since its hard to get it too wash out completely.

Dish washing liquid came right out :)

I'll look into the balaclava and bandana also to absorb the funk. :ph34r:

Thanks

oh, i dont have any shampoo because my head is shaved.;)

Glad it works for you, but shampoo really does work well. :D

Mine does the same thing. Usually when it's raining and doesn't dry out properly... I was going to try some of those Odor Eaters or Sneaker Ball thingies you put in your shoes :rolleyes:

But the Shampoo tip sounds like a logical one.

use two helmets so I can rotate if one needs to dry out properly.

The balaclava or skull caps are great on long rides... I couldn't believe how much more comfortable it was... I thought all those motorcycle taxi riders were bonkers wearing those black things in the heat of summer... then I discovered who the crazy one was!

Shampoo will be next for sure. Pretty obvious ehh? Shampoo to wash your head and the helmet goes around your head....doh !:unsure:

Yes something like that, egg head :DB)

Tip: Just buy a cheap shampoo, no need to buy a fancy one, like; smooth as Thai silk, since you don't got any.:rolleyes:

Been using the shampoo method for about twenty odd years. Started with cool boxes and migrated to helmets. Even my intuitive Thai wife was impressed how well the shampoo removed the stank from our cool boxes. As for shampoo used, anything will do but good ol' Pert does the job for me.

The smell is produced by bacteria.

You need to use chemicals that get rid of the bacteria, if I was you I would try chlorine/bleach, 2.5% concentration.

Thats what I would do! I've been using dish detergent every week on my shorty helmet and it's not the perfect solution. When I come back I will have my full face and open face so I can rotate between them.

You need to use chemicals that get rid of the bacteria, if I was you I would try chlorine/bleach, 2.5% concentration.

Be careful using chlorine as it can break down a lot of the elastics that are used in helmet cushions. Agreed though that it effectively kills bacteria!

Be careful using chlorine as it can break down a lot of the elastics that are used in helmet cushions. Agreed though that it effectively kills bacteria!

DETTOL?

Helmet manufacturers warn against using chemicals with a high Ph factor, as it can defeat / weaken the structure impact foam and shell of the helmet. Hopefully you are not doing this to your helmets or are you just floating the idea?

Well said, hence something mild but functional like shampoo, which I have proven works time and time again over the years

DETTOL?

Never used dettol but I reckon it would work, though I don't know it's Ph factor in concentration. A friend does use a low concentration of dettol to clean (by dunking in a large drum) his dive equipment : regs, masks, wet suite etc. He has no issues with smell or anything and it stops any active bacteria.

Edited by Garry

I've also noticed my helmet was getting worse when I lock it in the top box when I go to work... if it's even slightly damp, then sitting in the locked box in the sun all day is obviously not a good formula for good helmet hygiene!

I will have to go back to taking it in to the office with me.

Helmet manufacturers warn against using chemicals with a high Ph factor, as it can defeat / weaken the structure impact foam and shell of the helmet. Hopefully you are not doing this to your helmets or are you just floating the idea?

Sorry I forgot to add to rinse the helmet with water after the bacteria have been dealt with.

This should preserve the foam and shell.

Wouldn't chlorine bleach affect the color of the fabric?

I think its not just bacteria that makes it stink, i think its all that old dried sweat that gets emulsified when the newest wave of hot sweat liquifies it again and causes it to stank.

I wonder if one of those fabric softener sheets would work. It could absorb the funk as well as release april fresh scents.

Doesnt ultraviolet or infrared light kill bacteria? Some how i don't think that would kill the smell.

Edited by KRS1

ughhh...didn't work, starting to smell again. Shampoo tomorrow fo sho.

Cool boxes are easy to clean, no hidden nooks or crannies. With helmet padding, creases in foam etc, it will take longer for it to work. Don't use it neat either. Mix it with water like regular washing. I use a bucket to clean mine when needed, using the drench method. That way you can flush, purge and rinse multiple times, which you will probably need to do. The hydraulic action of the water coursing under gravity through the liner and foam will help purge out / dislodge and crap. Do you have a helmet type stand, so that it can drain upright?

I use bungie cords to suspend the helmet in an upright position facing my outside air conditioning unit, with the hot air from it blowing at the helmet.

Its the non removable bottom padding thats attached to the helmet that stinks, its where all the sweat eventually ends up. The actual upper and side inner lining is removable and thats under control. But this one part isn't removable. It's the REAL brand btw. (REAL-ly smelly)

I can install cams, change pistons, rebuild the crank, do the valves...but i can't get my helmet to stop stinking ! :lol:

Shampoo tomorrow, should i use something with anti-dandruff ???

Wouldn't chlorine bleach affect the color of the fabric?

I think its not just bacteria that makes it stink, i think its all that old dried sweat that gets emulsified when the newest wave of hot sweat liquifies it again and causes it to stank.

I wonder if one of those fabric softener sheets would work. It could absorb the funk as well as release april fresh scents.

Doesnt ultraviolet or infrared light kill bacteria? Some how i don't think that would kill the smell.

Stink comes from bacteria, believe me.

Oxygen and ultraviolets kill bacteria - but neither can penetrate into fabric.

Find an antiseptic/disinfectant and you will become happy eventually

As a helmet stank sufferer, I to use shampoo to wash and try to always keep as dry as possible.

But once that bacteria grasp hold, and gets a really strong foot hold in the foam, it will come back to haunt you. All my life I've battled this with helmets, waterproof boots, and hockey gear. It only takes that one time of not drying completely after a good sweat to get a good bacteria explosion.

I would recommend against bleach, as knowing players that place there full gear in to hot bleach bath only to have the equipment deteriorate at seasons end - but it was either that or their marriage. I use borax, soak the liner and give the wet helmet a quick swish with a weak solution a couple times a year. Consider this more preventive then stank fix.

Since finding chances of finding a sports ozone disinfecting company here are slim, consider a neutral PH cleaning product that disinfects, stuff like hospitals use. Give the helmet a good soak in that, which who knows what effects if any happen to the liner, but it will disinfect. I offer no guarantees that it's helmet safe, but what is sold as hospital equipment disinfectant has saved a few marriages - and in even more cases the hockey gear is still going strong though the marriage ain't.