Pattaya Water Problem

vediovis

Hi Guys

Everything is in the title.

We are located in Nongprue and there's poor water for 2 weeks now. It's going worst since yesterday as there's no water at all anymore.

My wife regularly calls the water company to have news but she rarely has the same story. And we never saw a technician.

It seems they have 2 problems:

- one with the global pump near the water reserve, they said this low pressure problem concerns everyone in Pattaya and they try to fill a water tower to use natural pressure.

- They said this morning the North Nongrpue water pipe was broken too so that's why there's no water at all in our house.

As I cannot do anything about it, I want to know if anybody else has the same problem and if it is really global in Pattaya and around. It will help me to prepare my tactic to try to find a solution.

I rent the house so I cannot decide on my own to put a water tank and 2 pumps, and my landlord doesn't seem very concerned. It's quite bad we don't have one, because at least you can order water to somebody and have showers and toilets. It's a problem for the baby as well, our daughter is 7 months, I let you imagine the conditions for her showers and food preparation/washing. Nothing to do, impossible to know how long it's going to be....

Anybody else in this situation, or is it only for us ?.......

@++

Stef

Our house is near BKK/Patts hospital, no problems our 2000 lit. tank is always full from the public water supply.

Its very unusual not to have a water tank because the pressure from the public system is quite low most of the time, thats why you have the 2000l tank (or whatever size). Can't you tell the landlord that he either install a tank + pump (1 pump is enough) or you will be moving out asp.

It is expensive to install this system, so when renting as you do it will be wasted money, well okay you can take the pump with you when moving (app. 5000 bath) but still a pain in the arse.

Hi guzzi

So it's OK near Bangkok Hospital.

We are very close to the water company here, I think that's why the owner didn't install the tank/pump system. The pressure is usually good.

The point is, with the big engineering problem they have, a lot of people are supposed to have low pressure as well...

By the way my wife told me she saw the water technician doing things in the soi 3 times this afternoon, and the water company told her at 17pm water will be back at 22pm. She didn't told me before so I didn't know when I wrote the first post.

It's incredible how we are slave to modern comfort: 2 weeks with small water, and 24 hours without water at all and suddenly everything looks like the end of the world... Good lesson... I hope they will fix soon :)

Hi vediovis,

Yes water is life in all regards, but I guess you found out the hard way, huh. I also have an infant son so I know what you are talking about, he-he, washing machine running min 2 times a day, wash baby's bum and so on :D. Life without water sucks.

Well actually our tank ran almost dry one time in the last 2 month, I noticed that the pump was running all the time because of lack of water in the tank, but only this one time.

A water tank is gold, it will keep you going for 3- 7 days depending of washing machine use and so on. You also have to consider that Pattaya is struggling with ever changing infrastructure and expanding all the time, thats properly why the water company are doing upgrades.

Hope you get your water back later tonight.

ok, the water is back this morning. It's a rush on the washing machine, shower and bathrooms for everyone here :)

I'm surprised we seem to be the only one in the area as the water company told us it was global, butin the same time I'm happy it was not as I don't wish it to anybody.

Guzzy is right, we will insist to the owner for a tank.pump installation.

ok, the water is back this morning. It's a rush on the washing machine, shower and bathrooms for everyone here :)

I'm surprised we seem to be the only one in the area as the water company told us it was global, butin the same time I'm happy it was not as I don't wish it to anybody.

Well aren't you lucky? In Cosy Beach we've been without mains supply for a week now. I have a small tank, but even with thrifty use I need a refill nearly every day. I'm about to order my fourth.

as a matter of interest, how clean is pattaya public water supply ?

do you use it for things like cooking - boiling spuds vegies etc ?

I remember reading somewhere that people thought it was almost at a safe drinking level straight from the tap

Yes.

Having said that, it's very difficult to determine the real safety of any water. Levels of toxins and microbes can't be determined by looking at it and tasting it.

No problems on Nern Plub Wan for years now...don't know about daily supply or pressure fluctuations as have a tank/pump at my house and it's always full.

Keep your fingers crossed. I could have said the same until last weekend.

tropo: ok, I hope water will come back soon..

smedly: water just comes from an open lake and can be terribly dirt sometimes. I recommend totally avoid it for anything linked to food and cooking. Don't use it for the rice or you will finish at the hospital. We buy big bottles of drinking water for cooking, they deliver home and they are quite cheap. Anyway it's better than the water from the pump, which only take water at 6 or 7 meter underground to give it to you for your shower. I let you imagine what you can find inside this water pumped under Pattaya. Some have skin problems because of the pumped water.

Well aren't you lucky? In Cosy Beach we've been without mains supply for a week now. I have a small tank, but even with thrifty use I need a refill nearly every day. I'm about to order my fourth.

I'm also in Cosy Beach area and today is day number 8 WITHOUT ANY WATER !! And what is worse: we don't have any tank on the roof of our 3-floor shophouse.... :realangry:

Actually this is a BIG scandal! Every day we call water department, we get the same answer: "Tonight it will be fixed..." -- This answer we got from the 3rd day on already.

In many ways Thailand still is a BANANA Kingdom! Grrrrr... And than they are surprised that less and less tourists are coming to LOS, well i'm not.................... Amen

@ vediovis: i wouldn't rely too much on asking a tank to the landlord, TiT you know.... 7 years ago i asked for the same in my previous place, but the answer was very simple: "you want a tank and a pump ? Well buy it yourself...." :blink:

'm also in Cosy Beach area and today is day number 8 WITHOUT ANY WATER !! And what is worse: we don't have any tank on the roof of our 3-floor shophouse.... :realangry:

Yes, 8 days. It went off last Saturday. We were lucky one night when the water flowed slowly long enough to fill my tank.

SSCC/Nongprue road - no water problems - but you absolutely need a min. 2,000 ltr tank as the water system here doesn't work very well. While waiting for your landlord to install one or finding a place with one (nobody here lives without one) you can buy 70 gallon buckets in most of the little brick-a-brack shops everywhere or any of the supermarkets. They're not that expensive, a few hundred bath, and could provide you with emergency water supply for a day or two.

tropo, happy to read that....

Robin, our landlord never called us back. We told them twice we were dying without water, they didn't move a finger or even asked if we were OK. I think there's nothing to wait from this, especially now as the water is back.

By the way, I was in Pattaya tonight, and I parked my car in the temple near the walking street : there were too much water, for sure!!! I've never seen Pattaya like that : I was lucky I could put my car on the second floor of the parking at the back when the water started to come, but I couldn't leave before 6am (and it was still very risky and I was close to drown the car). Crazy night. Water inside shops and dead cars in the middle of Pattaya Tai.

Edited by vediovis

I dont know if this is directly related to your water problem : But it sure does not "seem " to have been very much of a rainy season in Pattaya so far this year.

Well, as of today, Sunday, it "seems" we're making up for any short-fall. Scuba gear is needed for a stroll down Pattaya Tai as I write this.

Edited by Rimmer
font size see posting Netiqutte guidlines

It was back on this evening at Cosy Beach. What a luxury.... having water!!!

With all the rain, I assume your water problems are now a thing of the past :lol:

Talk about poetic justice for people complaining about having no water. Unfortunately I don't have any way to utilize rain water right now but the plants are happy.

I'm also in Cosy Beach area and today is day number 8 WITHOUT ANY WATER !! And what is worse: we don't have any tank on the roof of our 3-floor shophouse.... :realangry:

How are you finding the water pressure now? Mine is way down on how it was before the stoppage.

• 10 months later...

I remember reading somewhere that people thought it was almost at a safe drinking level straight from the tap

We have 7-stage filter setup on the water line in the kitchen. Use that water for all cooking and drinking. I have been here many many years and would never consider drinking the tap water in Pattaya unless I was in a dire situation. Many times the water has bad color and smell. No idea what it tastes like and glad I don't have to.

We are between nernplubwan and kownoi and our pressure has been fine the past few weeks. We have 2000 liter tank and pump but normally just run from the city unless the pressure drops. A few years back there was serious drought and having the tanks and pumps was a must to keep the water flowing. 2000 liter is the perfect size as the water trucks that will fill your tanks are just about 2kl and they charge the same whether they use the whole truck or not. Might as well get your money's worth.

Edited by Jayman

OP: Now would be a good time to move to another house where the landlord actually gives a #$%^. As everyone has mentioned, these 2000 ltr tanks are as necessary as air here in Thailand especially if you have children.

I have been drinking water from the taps and using it for cooking for ages in Bkk or Pattaya. It doesn't come strait from the lake to your taps as someone mentioned here. there are filter systems.

OP: Now would be a good time to move to another house where the landlord actually gives a #$%^. As everyone has mentioned, these 2000 ltr tanks are as necessary as air here in Thailand especially if you have children.

I have been drinking water from the taps and using it for cooking for ages in Bkk or Pattaya. It doesn't come strait from the lake to your taps as someone mentioned here. there are filter systems.

Hopefully the OP has it sorted already seeing as this is a 1 year old thread?

Is that why when I am on the roof of my hotel I see all those water tanks on all the roofs? I never was sure they were "pump storage" use. But listening to the chronic Pattaya water problems, I can see how they probably are a good idea. I just assumed the water came in from the pressurized lines. I do wonder if people ever really monitor them and check on them for stagnation, contamination etc.

Is that why when I am on the roof of my hotel I see all those water tanks on all the roofs?

Yes, and you'd see the same in Bangkok. As I understand it, Thai municipal water systems are not the "positive pressure" systems that we are used to in the west. Water systems here are low pressure. If a water main breaks in New York City, a geyser erupts and flings water up several feet. If a water main breaks in Thailand, you might see some gurgling at street level. Pollution can seep into a low pressure system much easier. A high pressure system would spurt water out of any crack/hole, where a low pressure system permits stuff to enter the pipe.

The Thai low pressure water mains is usually not able to get water to the second floor with enough force to, say, take a comfortable shower. That's why most Thai homes will have a water pump to force the water through the system. It's also why almost every Thai home will have a water tank. The water supply replenishes the tank at a much slower rate than the water is actually used. I recall reading about places in Pattaya in the past (still?) where they had no water supply during the daytime, only at night, so water usage during the day would gradually drain the tank, but it would slowly refill overnight.