Money Tt From Uk - Thailand Ayahuthya Bank

my wife wants to send money (£9000) from uk to ayauthya bank in pattaya next week. ok she knows how to send it, i will accomany her to bank and make sure the swift transfer form is filled in correctly ( sending it in uk sterling - not baht )

how can she check if the money reaches her bank in thailand? we had a problem before where we sent a TT from uk ( santander bank to kasikorn ) the money went to lloyds the holding bank then onot kasikorn in udon thani, but there was a mix up apparently the guy at santander who filled the swift form in failed to put the name of the kasikorn account holder ( ME ) on the form and kasikorn sent it back. this caused us a lot of heartache and money , we dont want it happening again.

what is the best way to send £9000 and then check that it has arrived in the said account ?

THANKS

I transferred a larger amount from Metrobank to Bank of Ayudyha in June, as it was taking longer than I thought Metrobank put a trace on the transfer and found that it had arrived at Ayudhya,s Head Office fromn where it would be transferred to my own account. I was given a Thai number and an English speaker to speak to, she confirmed she had the money, the rate was good at 49.5 that day and she would put it in my account. She was from the compliance dept of the bank. All seemed work ok,but, Thailand is not as dilligent as the UK and that is where the holdups come, if it would help, send me a PM and I will look and see if I still have the bank number and conract.

Bank of Ayudhya will not credit the transfer to the account until the account holder has accepted the exchange rate. If the exchange rate isn't accepted the bank will hold the money for up to a year until the account holder accepts the rate. After a year without acceptance it will send the money back. It's therefore important that the bank has an up to date contact 'phone number for the account holder.

When I was banking with Ayudhya (not sure if this is the same bank you are referring to) I would telephone my bank in New Zealand at 7:00am requesting a telegraphic transfer and by 9:30am I would receive a call from head office in Bangkok asking if I would accept the exchange rate. It is probably the best service we have received in Thailand. The rest of their banking procedures left a lot to be desired though and eventually we changed banks.

Two good choices - I would just add 'checking via the ATM' as a third option.

From his original message it looks like the OP and his wife are both in the UK. ATMs outside Thailand wont give the balance of a Thai account, as far as I know.

I transferred a larger amount from Metrobank to Bank of Ayudyha in June, as it was taking longer than I thought Metrobank put a trace on the transfer and found that it had arrived at Ayudhya,s Head Office fromn where it would be transferred to my own account. I was given a Thai number and an English speaker to speak to, she confirmed she had the money, the rate was good at 49.5 that day and she would put it in my account. She was from the compliance dept of the bank. All seemed work ok,but, Thailand is not as dilligent as the UK and that is where the holdups come, if it would help, send me a PM and I will look and see if I still have the bank number and conract.

Yes, I would confirm that this is the usual approach with the bank calling me. If you still don't get the number send me a PM as I have the tel number of the contact in Bkk head office who calls me.

I have 2 accounts with the Bank of Ayudyha.

An ordinary Deposit account and I also opened a Foreign Currency account in Sterling

My real money is in a UK bank. I just phone there 24 hour banking number and ask to make a transfer to the relevant Thai account. Giving SWIFT code and bank address. In fact I just give them the reference number of a previous transfer and they have all the details on their PC.

They read a statement about money laundering laws and ask me if I want to go ahead. I say YES and less than 5 working days later the money is in the Ayudyaha account/s. They charge me 19.50 Pounds for the service.

Never have I had a phone call or had to query where the money might be.

I have also transferred the same way to TMB in Thailand and banks in Australia and France with no problems.

Kinda simple really....

Oh by the way - it is a bank that has its call centre in the UK .........:blink:

p.s. Call me old fashioned but I do not consider Santandar a "British" bank.... but not so old as to talk about "Telegraph Transfers".....eh ? Do they use morse code ? dah dit dah dit.....dah dah dit dah......C Q or "over" if you want to know......

Edited by lonewolf99

Bank of Ayudhya will not credit the transfer to the account until the account holder has accepted the exchange rate. If the exchange rate isn't accepted the bank will hold the money for up to a year until the account holder accepts the rate. After a year without acceptance it will send the money back. It's therefore important that the bank has an up to date contact 'phone number for the account holder.

When I was banking with Ayudhya (not sure if this is the same bank you are referring to) I would telephone my bank in New Zealand at 7:00am requesting a telegraphic transfer and by 9:30am I would receive a call from head office in Bangkok asking if I would accept the exchange rate. It is probably the best service we have received in Thailand. The rest of their banking procedures left a lot to be desired though and eventually we changed banks.

What a bureaucratic process. I expect Bank of Ayudhya provides its TT Buying Rate just like other Thai banks do for TeleTransfer/Wire/SWIFT/etc transfers which is about the best rate the common man can get in Thailand. Bank of Ayudhya may have had some bad experiences in some transfers (i.e., customer complaints) and throws in the extra step to help prevent the complaint. Or, you have some kind of account that different/coded differently from a regular savings account.

Santander Bank are awful, I got swallowed up from Alliance and Leicester, after over a year with no access allowed online ( they kept sending me pins that did not work ) I gave them the boot and it was hard work doing that too. Would not advise anyone to deal with them.