Twinkies

maxme

I was watching tv the other day, and the police characters were opening up a child's knapsack which had been buried for 20 or 30 years. As a quick aside, one detective mentioned that the Twinkies in the pack still looked fresh enough to eat!

I laughed, and while this was fiction, there is probably a bit of truth to it.

I was watching tv the other day, and the police characters were opening up a child's knapsack which had been buried for 20 or 30 years. As a quick aside, one detective mentioned that the Twinkies in the pack still looked fresh enough to eat!

There was a show on the history channel about the twinkie factory that dispelled that myth. Makes for a great urban legend though, right up there with pop rocks and coke :lol:

There was a show on the history channel about the twinkie factory that dispelled that myth. Makes for a great urban legend though, right up there with pop rocks and coke :lol:

Oh, this was done for a bit of humor, sure. However, any baked cake product which will last on the shelf for two weeks or more is going to attract humorous attention.

Never liked Hostess faux-food.

My faux-food of choice when I lived State-side was "Little Deadly" (Little Debbie). Especially those chocolate-covered peanut butter wafers ("Nutty Bars") and the cream-filled soft oatmeal cookies ("Oatmeal Cream Pies").

cookies.jpg

Not sure if its lil Debbie, but don't forget Moon Pies :)

Gee, thanx for all the help. Nobody knows? Come on, if you've been living here long enough, you can´t say you crave for somethiing odd from your own country?

A korean friend of mine gave me a gift today; a Thai bakers specialty from a company called "bake@home"

Labeled in thai the box says kanom kai sod sai cream. Not exactly a twinkie but similar and tasty, might satisfy your craving. Not sure where she got them though, perhaps other posters may have heard of them and know.

Edited by Kilgore Trout

Twinkies and all the other junk, literally, mentioned above aren't for me...

But if you guys want them so bad, why don't you stop whining and just order some in....and have them shipped from the USA to here....

It's not like they'd be held in quarantine or anything... as "fresh" food... :lol:

Its not like its an simple task such as ordering! Cost on a twinkie, shipped from USA would be like $3-$5 each!!!!!! Shipping is outragious, and a lot of companies will not ship outside of USA! I am willing to pay extra for a lot of items, and do quite often, but shipping will usually make the price3-5 times the original cost, if not more! If I make another trip to USA, I'm gonna dump all my clothing and fill up suitcases with candy and junkfood, as clothing can be had cheap here! Every trip I make to the Villa Market cost me over 5000 baht and I make that trip as a normal 3 times a month. I gave up alcohol and cigarettes, but my junk food stays as long as I can get some of it!

My last order through Amazon for US style pepperoni cost a fortune, and Twizzler red licorice is a must also! I am trying to find an Importer to give a list to and have the stuff ordered for me by the case.

There are some alternatives for those on the junk food jag...

1. I've never tried this... but the manager of my local Villa market has often told me they're willing to order stuff by the case via special request.... assuming it's something they can access via their suppliers.... You might mention some of your desired items with your local Villa manager and see what they say... Or better yet, since they may not be familiar with your items, print out the product page from a place like Amazon and show it to them.

2. There are more economical ways to handle shipping from the U.S. The best I've found is Shipito.com, which is mentioned in various TV threads... Bottom line... as long as the package isn't over certain size dimensions... meaning a modest sized box, they can ship via parcel post for about $20 to $30 per package total, amount varying based on the weight ($8.50 handling fee plus postage, usually in the $12 to $20 range).

Some junk food stuff, for example, are relatively small and light weight... So you probably could order a case and not pay much more than $25 in total shipping via Shipito.... Order via Amazon, and have free shipping to Shipito, and on from there... The service is what Shipiito calls their "Shipito Airmail" service, usuallly about half price compared to USPS Global Priority or Express services. Typically arrives in a couple of weeks... Never had a missed or problem delivery as yet.

http://www.amazon.co...z/dp/B0005ZIC1O

I'm seeing a 20 pack for $12... plus about $6 domestic shipping... and a weight of about 4 pounds, which Shipito should handle via their airmail... So figure... total all in about $40 for a 20 pack.. ie... $2 apiece. 60 baht....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I always wondered how they could get 50% sugar and 50% oil/shortening to look like those things.... Amazing manufacturing... :bah:

Never liked Hostess faux-food.

My faux-food of choice when I lived State-side was "Little Deadly" (Little Debbie). Especially those chocolate-covered peanut butter wafers ("Nutty Bars") and the cream-filled soft oatmeal cookies ("Oatmeal Cream Pies").

cookies.jpg

BTW, once you have a reasonable solution for U.S. to Thailand shipping, I've found that Walgreens drug store and their online site is a good option for ordering both personal care type stuff and junk food/snacks things.... Walmart too, though their online selection is more limited.

Walgreen's has a standard offer of free domestic shipping on any order $25 or above... They don't sell in bulk like Amazon, but rather individual packages... But you can assemble a care package of various things you might want/need...and have them ship it for free to Shipito.com... One tip a CSR told me originally that I've always followed...after placing an online order, you call Walgreen's online customer service and ask them to pass along a message to their warehouse to ship the items in as small a box as possible...to save you on the eventual shipping.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/store/category/productlist.jsp?ShopAll=360665&ap=y&Erp=96&N=360665&Eon=360665

Walmart also has free or 99 cent domestic shipping on a lot of their grocery items available online.... but unfortunately, every time I look there, most of their food stuff that I'm interested in is listed as in-store only, as opposed to available online.

I'd try Villa for the Twinkies. Seriously, though, I don't know how Americans survive in Thailand if they love junk food. I used to buy Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Hershley's in Carrefour but almost every American food outlet in Thailand is just a pale shade of the original. In the US you can get a foot-long Subway for just five bucks, or a double quarter-pounder from McDs, and US Dairy Queen sells completely wonderful flavors such as Butterfingers, Reese's Cookie Dough and Snickers. We should petition DQ Thailand to get it's act together.

Edited by aussiebebe

• 3 weeks later...

I'd try Villa for the Twinkies. Seriously, though, I don't know how Americans survive in Thailand if they love junk food. I used to buy Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Hershley's in Carrefour but almost every American food outlet in Thailand is just a pale shade of the original. In the US you can get a foot-long Subway for just five bucks, or a double quarter-pounder from McDs, and US Dairy Queen sells completely wonderful flavors such as Butterfingers, Reese's Cookie Dough and Snickers. We should petition DQ Thailand to get it's act together.

I have ask several times for Hostess products by the case, (twinkie and cupcakes) to no avail. I have several items I have ask to order and even printed out product pics for them. Same with cans of American drinks, like Squirt. I have bought lots of stuff from several shipping companies acting as inbetween and hidden costs are ignorant! I have had lots of things shipped directly from company, but cost a fortune, and most won't do it, even by caseload

I do buy Reeses Peanut butter cups at villa, mac'n cheese, and cheese puffs, but not always on shelf when you make a trip there!

the last time I was in the US near downtown Philadelphia there was a 7-11 near my accommodation with an entire array of Hostess products as well as fresh bakery like buttermilk glazed donuts, enormous fresh brownies and etc..I went mad, I especially like Hostess berry pies after a package of cupcakes and couldn't resist the glazed buttermilk donuts and brownies all in one go...I stumbled out into the parking lot where two large men appeared to be squaring off for physical violence and said: 'stop!...you can't do this!' and they both turned and glared at me but could see that I was in a crazed condition so that I was not attacked simultaneously by both of them and managed to stumble home...

then there was a crazy guy that gave me a ride outside of San Jose, CA and there was a box of Ding Dongs on the seat between us and he said 'wanna Ding Dong?' while driving at high speed...I could see that he was quite mad and then he went on to describe how he had broken out of the local county jail the night before...I'm not a big fan of Ding Dongs compared to other Hostess products but I had one anyway, to be sociable...