Can All PM's Men Protect Yingluck?

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

Can all PM's men protect Yingluck?

By Piyanart Srivalo

For a political novice, winning an election is hard and becoming the country's first female prime minister is even harder. But, surviving in politics is the hardest.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who appears to be such a delicate lady for the rough and tumble of politics, is going to face some serious difficulties in her job.

Apart from facing the challenge of successfully delivering her party's promises, the premier also has to face a very tough rival - the opposition Democrat Party. Her team of advisers doesn't appear to be doing much to help her.

Although she is surrounded by big names like General Panlop Pinmanee, Olarn Chaipravat, Suchon Chaleekrua, General Chaisit Shinawatra and Suchon Charmpoonod, it is believed that they were not picked by the prime minister herself. Instead, they were given these posts as a political reward.

Also, Yingluck's secretary-general Bandhoon Supakavanich is as much of a novice in politics as his boss, because he has only ever been a civil servant. So, her brother fugitive ex-premier Thaksin decided to put together another team of advisers to help his sister last as long as she can in the field of politics.

This so-called team of advisers, nicknamed "Baan Pitsanulok" because they will be working out of the prime minister's official residence, has emerged recently and seems to be comprised of banned politicians from the now defunct Thai Rak Thai and People Power Party. These advisers, who are veterans in politics, are expected to protect Yingluck from any and all threats.

This team, which will provide her with advice on all political issues, would be led by her brother-in-law and former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat and include other big names such as Chaturon Chaisang, Noppadon Pattama, Phumtham Wechayachai, Warathep Rattanakorn, Pongthep Thepkanjana and Chusak Sirinil.

This team cannot be made official because appointing banned politicians as advisers might violate laws. However, it still plans to meet once a week at Baan Pitsanulok. Yingluck has been seen visiting this place quite often.

Baan Pitsanulok became infamous when late prime minister Chartchai Choonhavan set up a think-tank, led by former journalist Pansak Vinyaratn, which worked out of this residence. However, Chartchai was toppled in a coup in 1991 because these very advisers had adopted an aggressive stance against the military.

Moreover, the ruling Pheu Thai Party's strategic committee has recently set up a war room to protect Yingluck from being discredited by their rivals.

This war room will use information as its main weapon and will publicise the government's performance while at the same time attacking the opposition Democrat Party's moves against this administration as well as exposing its shortcomings.

Pheu Thai spokesperson Prompong Nopparit said his party would change its tactics from defence to attack. They will also place special emphasis on explaining facts, especially in relation to accusations from the Democrats, as well as tell the public what the party is planning to do. Party MPs will be responsible for providing information in the provinces, while staff at the party headquarters in Bangkok will cooperate with key party members and ministers to explain matters.

"Our rivals have tried to discredit us by flinging accusations at us repeatedly. We have been smeared by them. From now on we will strike back immediately. No more defensive mode," Prompong said.

The war room will also set up a schedule to promote the party's populist policies. For instance, they will report on the progress made in increasing the minimum daily wage to Bt300 this month and Bt15,000 salary for new graduates next month.

Apparently, everything is being done to protect Yingluck, though whether she survives in the end really depends on her and not all the prime minister's men.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-08

This so-called team of advisers, nicknamed "Baan Pitsanulok" because they will be working out of the prime minister's official residence

This team cannot be made official because appointing banned politicians as advisers might violate laws. However, it still plans to meet once a week at Baan Pitsanulok. Yingluck has been seen visiting this place quite often.

<deleted>!!! :blink:

The vultures are gathering ready to suck the financial blood out of Thailand and its people, led of course by ,Thaksin and his family and all their little brown nosed acolytes.

Indeed the Thai people have offered their country and themselves up into debt bondage and as vassals to the corrupt few who preached equality yet are in fact the biggest group of a so called elite intent only on preserving and protecting all they have pilfered so far.

That group is now setting their sights on yet more pillaging of the country and its peoples, indeed a sad state of affairs, which is going to end in trouble with many innocent deaths along with the ruination of Thailand and its finances and its people.

Pigs%20trough2.jpg

the premier also has to face a very tough rival - the opposition Democrat Party

Tough as in a party that couldn't win an election against a party led by a complete political virgin whose brother is a convicted felon frequently accused of lese majeste who fled to evade a prison sentence and some of whose supporters took over and set fire to parts of the capital city causing grief to thousands of people and millions of baht in damage.

Yep. Hard as nails those Dems.

Tough as in a party that couldn't win an election against a party led by a complete political virgin whose brother is a convicted felon frequently accused of lese majeste who fled to evade a prison sentence and some of whose supporters took over and set fire to parts of the capital city causing grief to thousands of people and millions of baht in damage.

I would agree that the dems flunked in terms of building an election platform to win. A shame because I believe the main dem leaders are capable, sincere and have good inenttions to move Thailand forward and create a platform where all Thais would have a better quality of life generated by their own productivity.

The dems also have the daunting task of gaining enough seats so that they don't have to get into bed with unsavory coalition partners.

In the meantime, Khun Korn has been tasked, with Abhsisit and some other capable members to attack. I believe they will do it well, and for many reasons, one being that they realize this is a win or lose opportunity to display their credibility through their insights.

This team, which will provide her with advice on all political issues, would be led by her brother-in-law and former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat and include other big names such as Chaturon Chaisang, Noppadon Pattama, Phumtham Wechayachai, Warathep Rattanakorn, Pongthep Thepkanjana and Chusak Sirinil.

Quite impressive... :bah:

Somchai Wongsawat, # 5 on People Power Party executive board member banned from politics for 5 years for participating in electoral fraud.

Chaturon Chaisang, # 2 on Thai Rak Thai Party executive board member banned from politics for 5 years for participating in electoral fraud.

Noppadon Pattama, # 14 on People Power Party executive board member banned from politics for 5 years for participating in electoral fraud.

Phumtham Wechayachai, # 28 on Thai Rak Thai Party executive board member banned from politics for 5 years for participating in electoral fraud.

Warathep Rattanakorn, # 44 on Thai Rak Thai Party executive board member banned from politics for 5 years for participating in electoral fraud.

Pongthep Thepkanjana, # 10 on Thai Rak Thai Party executive board member banned from politics for 5 years for participating in electoral fraud.

Chusak Sirinil, # 15 on People Power Party executive board member banned from politics for 5 years for participating in electoral fraud.

I would agree that the dems flunked in terms of building an election platform to win.

I wholeheartedly agree. Perhaps they were confident enough to believe they were a shoe-in to win because of the shit storm that's occurred in recent times in Thailand in anything remotely connected to Thaksin and thinking that the electorate had had enough.

True, but the Dems are very competent as opposition. They will have no problem making this ragtag government look foolish

True, but the Dems are very competent as opposition. They will have no problem making this ragtag government look foolish

The Dems will have nothing to do with this government looking foolish. This government will do that all by themselves.

:blink:

Well, I said it before, so I'll say it again... I don't have much use for Yingluck or her "friends" but I think they have made a big mistake if they imagined she would be a pushover and simply a "clone" for her brother.

I imagine there were those in the U.K. who figured Maggie Thatcher to be a lightwieght and a woman when they first thought of her as party leader. Didn't turn out that way, did it?

I'm not saying Yingluck will turn out to be the same... but those "professional politicians" better be careful. They shouldn't underestimate Yingluck.

Maybe, as Maggie famouly said, "This lady is not for turning".

:whistling:

:blink:

Well, I said it before, so I'll say it again... I don't have much use for Yingluck or her "friends" but I think they have made a big mistake if they imagined she would be a pushover and simply a "clone" for her brother.

I imagine there were those in the U.K. who figured Maggie Thatcher to be a lightwieght and a woman when they first thought of her as party leader. Didn't turn out that way, did it?

I'm not saying Yingluck will turn out to be the same... but those "professional politicians" better be careful. They shouldn't underestimate Yingluck.

Maybe, as Maggie famouly said, "This lady is not for turning".

:whistling:

Well I hope you are correct .... but so far she hasn't really done anything to show that she thinks for herself and everyday we see the deck being increasingly stacked against her (being "independent") as "All the Thaksin's Men" continue to be placed in powerful positions. All these men banned from politics by Thai courts seem to be involved in ... well .... politics.

In respect to the gender issue, I'll give her a few more months to show us if there is anything more to her (politically) than simply being Thaksin's younger sister, clone or drone or whatever. At the moment I don't see any indication that she will be anything other than a big disappointment.

I suppose we will also see if "All the THaksin's Horses and all the Thaksin's Men" can "put Humpty Dumpty back together again".

And then promptly losing the next election and not understanding that it is the eyes of the rural poor that have to be turned form PTP in order to win an election and making some sharp comments that are cheered by a small educated elite and a bunch of state employed academics is just as likely to harden rural support for PTP as to turn them from it. The Dems need to reach out to these people and not just be the darlings of the few. To do that they need to reform their entire party, change their leader, learn to speak in a less intellectual elitist way and realise it will take time and probably a lot of it

The vultures are gathering ready to suck the financial blood out of Thailand and its people, led of course by ,Thaksin and his family and all their little brown nosed acolytes.

Indeed the Thai people have offered their country and themselves up into debt bondage and as vassals to the corrupt few who preached equality yet are in fact the biggest group of a so called elite intent only on preserving and protecting all they have pilfered so far.

That group is now setting their sights on yet more pillaging of the country and its peoples, indeed a sad state of affairs, which is going to end in trouble with many innocent deaths along with the ruination of Thailand and its finances and its people.

Pigs%20trough2.jpg

"As you sow so shall your reap" yeah the electorate are going to reap a bitter harvest no doubt about it. :realangry:

Attacking Yingluck gives her the opportunity to accrue sympathy and also leads to some people cheering anyone who comes to her rescue. When attacking her it needs to be done carefully and in a mild way or it can easuilt backfire. Her elusiveness will also likely encourage someone to lose their temper when refering or talking to her. It will be interesting to see how the Dems handle this.

Apart from facing the challenge of successfully delivering her party's promises, the premier also has to face a very tough rival - the opposition Democrat Party.

These guys at The Nation are a laugh a minute...

But they DO stick to their script.

:D

Any one with half a brain should be able to drive a coach a horses through the PTP's crazy un costed pre election promise's and insane spending plans such as the tablet computers ,the 300baht MW ,and the one that is primed to explode quite soon ,the rice pledging scheme!!! which will undoubtedly come back to haunt them in the coming months . :lol: :lol: :lol:

I suppose we will also see if "All the THaksin's Horses and all the Thaksin's Men" can "put Humpty Dumpty back together again".

I don't think they intend on attempting to put things back together. They seem more keen on crowbar'ing things apart....

Somchai Wongsawat, # 5 on People Power Party executive board member banned from politics for 5 years for participating in electoral fraud.

Chaturon Chaisang, # 2 on Thai Rak Thai Party executive board member banned from politics for 5 years for participating in electoral fraud.

Noppadon Pattama, # 14 on People Power Party executive board member banned from politics for 5 years for participating in electoral fraud.

Phumtham Wechayachai, # 28 on Thai Rak Thai Party executive board member banned from politics for 5 years for participating in electoral fraud.

Warathep Rattanakorn, # 44 on Thai Rak Thai Party executive board member banned from politics for 5 years for participating in electoral fraud.

Pongthep Thepkanjana, # 10 on Thai Rak Thai Party executive board member banned from politics for 5 years for participating in electoral fraud.

Chusak Sirinil, # 15 on People Power Party executive board member banned from politics for 5 years for participating in electoral fraud.

The amazing thing is there's no evidence any of them were involved in any election fraud at all.

Attacking Yingluck gives her the opportunity to accrue sympathy and also leads to some people cheering anyone who comes to her rescue. When attacking her it needs to be done carefully and in a mild way or it can easuilt backfire. Her elusiveness will also likely encourage someone to lose their temper when refering or talking to her. It will be interesting to see how the Dems handle this.

If I were the Dems I'd focus on her advisers and ministers, not her. Bypassing her shows her to be a puppet, painting her into a figurehead role rather than someone who actually has any power.

The amazing thing is there's no evidence any of them were involved in any election fraud at all.

Did you miss the day-long reading by the judges in the cases when they handed down their verdicts explicitly detailing the wrong doings and the evidence presented?

If they are on the Executive Board, they are guilty of the duplicity of the illegal acts as they are presumed to have had knowledge of the conspiracy.

It's a good constitutional rule that works well with, for example, Mafia family convictions in other countries.

Edited by Buchholz

If I were the Dems I'd focus on her advisers and ministers, not her. Bypassing her shows her to be a puppet, painting her into a figurehead role rather than someone who actually has any power.

That's likely to occur anyway as she always seems to be deferring to others to answer questions or be responsible for governmental actions. Thus far, she's done pretty much squat on her own and the mouthpieces like Chalerm and Jatuporn are the ones making all the statements.

Posts using derogatory nicknames or intentional misspelling of people’s names will be deleted. If you don’t want your post to be deleted, spell people’s names correctly.

Empty posts (posts in which a member posts a quoted post but does not add any text) have been removed. Subsequent posts replying to the empty posts have been removed as well. Reconsider this method and make your reply when you post the quoted post.

Did you miss the day-long reading by the judges in the cases when they handed down their verdicts explicitly detailing the wrong doings and the evidence presented?

If they are on the Executive Board, they are guilty of the duplicity of the illegal acts as they are presumed to have had knowledge of the conspiracy.

It's a good constitutional rule that works well with, for example, Mafia family convictions in other countries.

Yeah, certainly there was good even in the 2007 case to show how Pongsak and Thammarak had bribed smaller parties (with the caveat that witnesses switched back & fourth, almost certainly they were subjected to bribery and/or intimidation). I believe the right thing to do is to punish those directly responsible, even jail them. I think this collective punishment is absurd, they are 'presumed' to have had knowledge, yes, but presumed shouldn't be good enough, it should be that they're either proven to be involved in a conspiracy to commit election fraud, or they're innocent. Of course, it's clear enough that Pongsak and Thammarak didn't act alone and at the very least Thaksin or other high ranking TRT people would've known of it and sanctioned it. But why assume all 111 executives were involved?

Clearly it's bad for Thai democracy to keep banning parties and MPs who may not have been involved in fraud. Then you have parties where the top post go to obvious third raters like PPP or PT now, whilst the real power is still with many of those who're banned anyway. So how is it in any way constructive? I just don't see it. The Yongyuth 08 case is even more clearly absurd since he was obviously an individual acting alone, nothing to suggest there was any conspiracy involving the PPP executive at all.

Yeah, certainly there was good even in the 2007 case to show how Pongsak and Thammarak had bribed smaller parties (with the caveat that witnesses switched back & fourth, almost certainly they were subjected to bribery and/or intimidation). I believe the right thing to do is to punish those directly responsible, even jail them. I think this collective punishment is absurd, they are 'presumed' to have had knowledge, yes, but presumed shouldn't be good enough, it should be that they're either proven to be involved in a conspiracy to commit election fraud, or they're innocent. Of course, it's clear enough that Pongsak and Thammarak didn't act alone and at the very least Thaksin or other high ranking TRT people would've known of it and sanctioned it. But why assume all 111 executives were involved?

Clearly it's bad for Thai democracy to keep banning parties and MPs who may not have been involved in fraud. Then you have parties where the top post go to obvious third raters like PPP or PT now, whilst the real power is still with many of those who're banned anyway. So how is it in any way constructive? I just don't see it. The Yongyuth 08 case is even more clearly absurd since he was obviously an individual acting alone, nothing to suggest there was any conspiracy involving the PPP executive at all.

We obviously have a difference of opinion as I would say it's clearly good for Thai democracy by holding their feet to the fire. It works well in combating organized crime elsewhere. By holding all those attending the smoke-filled room discussions for what occurs there, it's at least some small token of accountability.

The shortcoming is that convictions aren't enforced stringently enough, as evidenced by the parade of characters quoted above who are clearly still involving themselves in politics. Strengthen the law, not weaken it.

The clearly absurd notion is one that thinks Yongyuth kept all "his" conspiracy to himself alone and that everyone else on Executive Board knew absolutely nothing about it. :ermm: .... yeah, right.

Edited by Buchholz

The clearly absurd notion is one that thinks Yongyuth kept all "his" conspiracy to himself alone and that everyone else on Executive Board knew absolutely nothing about it. :ermm: .... yeah, right.

Where's the evidence of a conspiracy at all? Do you mean your presumed conspiracy between Yongyuth and the PP executive (of which there's no evidence) or the conspiracy between Yongyuth and the headmen to commit election fraud - if you can call that a conspiracy because surely wooing people is fine if there's no money involved. That's what politicians do, after all. Why should he tell the executive board that he was courting village headmen and giving them pocket money? Hardly a massive thing that they'd need to know about. I mean I imagine this stuff is fairly common (doesn't make it right of course) but if Yonguth wasn't a member of the PPP executive then the party wouldn't be dissolved. And what difference does it make in this case that he was a member of the executive? Surely following this logic any MP commiting election fraud, even if acting as an individual, should result in the party being banned. And that would likely mean that all parties would be banned, all the time... because every disqualification would result in a party ban. Would that be a good thing?

Where's the evidence of a conspiracy at all? Do you mean your presumed conspiracy between Yongyuth and the PP executive (of which there's no evidence) or the conspiracy between Yongyuth and the headmen to commit election fraud - if you can call that a conspiracy because surely wooing people is fine if there's no money involved. That's what politicians do, after all. Why should he tell the executive board that he was courting village headmen and giving them pocket money? Hardly a massive thing that they'd need to know about. I mean I imagine this stuff is fairly common (doesn't make it right of course) but if Yonguth wasn't a member of the PPP executive then the party wouldn't be dissolved. And what difference does it make in this case that he was a member of the executive? Surely following this logic any MP commiting election fraud, even if acting as an individual, should result in the party being banned. And that would likely mean that all parties would be banned, all the time... because every disqualification would result in a party ban. Would that be a good thing?

Normal MP's aren't on the Executive Board.

Party members that are are granted special privileges and with that comes extra responsibilities. No one is saying ban the Party because of a lone, non-Executive Board MP, but the Executive Board is where all the business of the Party is decided upon. It's the place where the sort of shenanigans Mr. Refrigerator committed are discussed. There are no lone wolves operating independently in any Thaksin organization like the PPP.

If politicians were banned from politics in the truest sense, it might actually go a long way in reducing the temptation to break the law. Without some more teeth in the punishment, there's no great urgency to comply with election regulations.

Reply from rametindallas:

I think the penalty is so strong so as to cause the party leadership to 'police' themselves otherwise they will always find a few 'scapegoats' handy to do their dirty work. It is sad for democracy in general to have to resort to such strong (draconian) measures to prevent corruption of the election process but it does, IMO, seem necessary.

Edited by rametindallas