Samsung Galaxy S2 Root

Thaifever

I recently bought the S2 and I'd like to change the firmware to 2.3.4 but I can't connect because of the "gadget serial" driver issue. Apparently Gingerbreak won't work with the newer S2 releases. Did anyone find a way to root their newer S2? I can't connect to Odin in download mode. And yes, I installed the drivers from kies/pc suite etc. Thx in advance.

P.S. is the new firmware update (2.3.4) due out this month for the True version?

What problem or issue are you experiencing which requires a firmware change? Or what feature do you need in the new firmware release?

Samsung's USB drivers can be finicky. I've had to de-install them more than once, and delete the remaining directory, and re-install them.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1103399

I like Josh's (mobiletechvideos) videos...

Edited by lomatopo

The main reason is battery life. Also the 3g bounces around a lot from H to 3G which slows it down. Also sometimes the phone signal goes to zero and i miss calls, which requires a reboot. There are some other improvements as well which can be googled, 2.3.3 acts as a beta it seems.

Edited by Thaifever

The main reason is battery life. Also the 3g bounces around a lot from H to 3G which slows it down. Also sometimes the phone signal goes to zero and i miss calls, which requires a reboot. There are some other improvements as well which can be googled, 2.3.3 acts as a beta it seems.

I think some others with the i9100T experienced some of these issues, although it is hard to keep track. I think some might have gone to Samsung/True to get a firmware upgrade which addressed some/all of their issues?

Maybe read through some of the (perhaps too many?) SGS2 threads for more info.?

The changing of the network indicator is normal, "3G" on idle, then changing to "H" when utilizing data channel(s).

I would recommend an official firmware upgrade if possible. Once you start flashing new ROMs you may find you introduce new, bigger issues. Try to source an official Samsung release, with a proven modem. samsungfirmware dot com has official and leaked versions.

There may be several other solutions to your "battery life" issue? Maybe have a read through the SGS2 forum on XDA?

I think some others with the i9100T experienced some of these issues, although it is hard to keep track. I think some might have gone to Samsung/True to get a firmware upgrade which addressed some/all of their issues?

Maybe read through some of the (perhaps too many?) SGS2 threads for more info.?

The changing of the network indicator is normal, "3G" on idle, then changing to "H" when utilizing data channel(s).

I would recommend an official firmware upgrade if possible. Once you start flashing new ROMs you may find you introduce new, bigger issues. Try to source an official Samsung release, with a proven modem. samsungfirmware dot com has official and leaked versions.

There may be several other solutions to your "battery life" issue? Maybe have a read through the SGS2 forum on XDA?

if you need gingerbread 2.3.4 and it is not available via kies then just flash the FW with ODIN

how to do it :

check out

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1075278

a couple days i just flashed my original I9100T with

XXKG5

Firmware info

PDA:XXKG5

PHONE: XXKG5

Date: 27/07/2011

Android 2.3.4

and a german CSC

starts now with I9100 and not I9100T

battery live looks better

also looks more stable then the 2.3.3 stock version

at the moment using AIS 3G prepaid data plan (but for me the 3G speed (DL 7013KBPS // UPL 1288kbps) only satisfied near the AIS store in siam paragon)

if you not satisfied just flash it back to the stock rom GT-I9100T_THL_I9100TDCKF4_I9100TDCKF1_I9100TTHLKF1

post-41457-0-92761000-1315908742_thumb.p

Had this same phone signal issue problem until I switched modems on the phone, use ODIN to flash it. I suggest XXKH3 it provides the best service so far.

Had this same phone signal issue problem until I switched modems on the phone, use ODIN to flash it. I suggest XXKH3 it provides the best service so far.

Which service provider do you use? What is your upload speed with KH3?

I have an SGScap, running a KH3/2.3.4 leak, on DTAC and upload speed is on ~ 600 Kbps, previously on JV6 was seeing ~ 2 Mbps UL. Not a huge deal, but...

Thanks Jolos for the information and the link. I have no problem with flashing the firmware or finding in via google. My problem is having my computer recognize my phone while in download mode. I'm running a virtual machine on a mac, maybe thats the issue? But it seems several others are having the same issues. I don't think they're all running virtual machines either. Where did you get the drivers for your phone. I've installed, latest versions of kies, new pc suite, samsung drivers for mobile phones etc etc. I got bored of the nuisance and decided to wait for an official release.

Are there special drivers for the I1900t? All I got from samsung in my box was a disc in thai for gps navigation and the accessory cables.

There is kies available for osx, no need for a virtual machine. http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobilesoftwaremanual/mobilesoftwaremanual.do?page=MOBILE.SOFTWARE.MANUAL

Thanks Jolos for the information and the link. I have no problem with flashing the firmware or finding in via google. My problem is having my computer recognize my phone while in download mode. I'm running a virtual machine on a mac, maybe thats the issue? But it seems several others are having the same issues. I don't think they're all running virtual machines either. Where did you get the drivers for your phone. I've installed, latest versions of kies, new pc suite, samsung drivers for mobile phones etc etc. I got bored of the nuisance and decided to wait for an official release.

Are there special drivers for the I1900t? All I got from samsung in my box was a disc in thai for gps navigation and the accessory cables.

Edited by justsumhelp

There is kies available for osx, no need for a virtual machine. http://www.samsung.c...SOFTWARE.MANUAL

Already I downloaded it, installed it, and it pops up a message saying "unsupported device". There are different versions of the 2.3.3 OS, and mine, as well as some others, don't seem to connect.

I have no trouble connecting to kies via virtual machine, it's when I put it into download mode it won't recognize the phone.

Edited by Thaifever

You can try Heimdall http://www.glassechi...ducts/heimdall/ and then flash a root kernel. If you dont want to use the front-end, just download and install it then open up the terminal and try this guide

http://winterland.no...mdall-on-linux/

Heimdall on XDA http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=755265

There is kies available for osx, no need for a virtual machine. http://www.samsung.c...SOFTWARE.MANUAL

Already I downloaded it, installed it, and it pops up a message saying "unsupported device". There are different versions of the 2.3.3 OS, and mine, as well as some others, don't seem to connect.

I have no trouble connecting to kies via virtual machine, it's when I put it into download mode it won't recognize the phone.

Edited by justsumhelp

Be advised that the Heimdall USB drivers conflict with the Samsung USB drivers. I was stuck on this for a few hours, could see phone via adb devices or ODIN, but once in download mode could not. I had to remove the Heimdall drivers, the re-install the Samsung drivers.

From the Heimdall README.... FWIW I use a Jig to enter DL mode; I have a Galalxy S variant, but I think the same Jig works on the SGS2

Driver Uninstallation Instructions:

1. Put your Samsung Galaxy S into download mode by holding Volume Down + Home + Power.

2. Plug your phone into your PC.

3. Open up Device Manager on your PC (Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager).

4. Under "Libusb (WinUSB) devices" right click on "Samsung USB Composite Device" and chose Properties.

5. Go to the Driver tab and select Update Driver.

6. Chose to browse your computer for the driver.

7. Chose to pick from a list of devices drivers on your computer.

8. Pick the original Samsung Composite driver, press next and then follow the prompts.

9. Done

Edited by lomatopo

Be advised that the Heimdall USB drivers conflict with the Samsung USB drivers. I was stuck on this for a few hours, could see phone via adb devices or ODIN, but once in download mode could not. I had to remove the Heimdall drivers, the re-install the Samsung drivers.

From the Heimdall README.... FWIW I use a Jig to enter DL mode; I have a Galalxy S variant, but I think the same Jig works on the SGS2

1. Put your Samsung Galaxy S into download mode by holding Volume Down + Home + Power.

3. Open up Device Manager on your PC (Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager).

4. Under "Libusb (WinUSB) devices" right click on "Samsung USB Composite Device" and chose Properties.

8. Pick the original Samsung Composite driver, press next and then follow the prompts.

9. Done

Thanks for your help, I get stuck at step 4. Samsung USB device doesn't come up from the drop down menu. I've since installed bootcamp on another hard drive with windows 7 and odin now acknowledges my phone while in download mode. However I'm a bit bored of looking at all the ROMS available in 2.3.4 right now. Seems the latest one is a beta and there aren't enough benefits to go through the hassle of changing. I want a stock rom with English as the base language that's not going to put a yellow triangle on the phone. I'll wait a couple more weeks for a rom that's worth the bother.

Edited by Thaifever

Is there a stock 2.3.4 release for the localized AIS/i9100, a official release that is?

Is there any official (KiES?) modem upgrade for the localized AIS/i9100? I am currently on KH1, and performance (3G/2G) on AIS is dreadful. On DTAC the same phone works great (~ 9 Mbps/3 Mbps !!!). Not sure if this is an AIS issue solely, or related to an interaction with the KH1 modem?

http://www.galaxys2roms.com/ is a good place to start looking.

Anything you flash will put the yellow triangle but is easy to remove via jig or flashing a stock kernel back over

9. Done

Thanks for your help, I get stuck at step 4. Samsung USB device doesn't come up from the drop down menu. I've since installed bootcamp on another hard drive with windows 7 and odin now acknowledges my phone while in download mode. However I'm a bit bored of looking at all the ROMS available in 2.3.4 right now. Seems the latest one is a beta and there aren't enough benefits to go through the hassle of changing. I want a stock rom with English as the base language that's not going to put a yellow triangle on the phone. I'll wait a couple more weeks for a rom that's worth the bother.

Anything you flash will put the yellow triangle but is easy to remove via jig or flashing a stock kernel back over

That's not true. Anything flashed which is "unofficial" will create a yellow triangle. I have flashed an official 2.3.4 (XXKH3) rom on my phone and no yellow triangle nor toll on the counter. However it may have been a wasted effort as any differences, other than model and version numbers, are yet to be seen. Curiosity killed the cat. There are supposed to be some improvements in 2.3.4 but I think the Thai DCFK4 (2.3.3) stock rom is ok including the battery life. I had trouble connecting to true 3g with the thai rom and I still do with this new rom (XXKH3). I didn't upgrade to the DCFK2 rom (2.3.3) available now through kies as I had already switched to DTAC. I suppose I'll just wait for 2.3.5 and flash a stock rom from the first country which comes out with an official release, unless this rom gets an update first as it is upgradeable through kies. G-talk video is not supported on this rom but I use skype anyway.

If anyone is interested in this rom, this is the link to the files and procedure:

files are in a zip here:

http://androidadvice...ead-firmware/3/

*password* - androidfirmwares.com

follow this procedure:

http://droidangel.bl...ll-upgrade.html

I was referring to anything flashed from http://www.galaxys2roms.com/ will create a yellow triangle.

That's not true. Anything flashed which is "unofficial" will create a yellow triangle. I have flashed an official 2.3.4 (XXKH3) rom on my phone and no yellow triangle nor toll on the counter. However it may have been a wasted effort as any differences, other than model and version numbers, are yet to be seen. Curiosity killed the cat. There are supposed to be some improvements in 2.3.4 but I think the Thai DCFK4 (2.3.3) stock rom is ok including the battery life. I had trouble connecting to true 3g with the thai rom and I still do with this new rom (XXKH3). I didn't upgrade to the DCFK2 rom (2.3.3) available now through kies as I had already switched to DTAC. I suppose I'll just wait for 2.3.5 and flash a stock rom from the first country which comes out with an official release, unless this rom gets an update first as it is upgradeable through kies. G-talk video is not supported on this rom but I use skype anyway.

If anyone is interested in this rom, this is the link to the files and procedure:

files are in a zip here:

http://androidadvice...ead-firmware/3/

*password* - androidfirmwares.com

follow this procedure:

http://droidangel.bl...ll-upgrade.html

I have extras I will bring to the linux meeting if you want.

I was referring to anything flashed from http://www.galaxys2roms.com/ will create a yellow triangle.

My apologies. And thanks for the link by the way. I might flash one or two of them despite the triangle and pay a visit soon to pantip to get a pack of 100 ohm resistors etc., and make a jig.

I have extras I will bring to the linux meeting if you want.

My apologies. And thanks for the link by the way. I might flash one or two of them despite the triangle and pay a visit soon to pantip to get a pack of 100 ohm resistors etc., and make a jig.

Ya, that'd be great if I know where and when your meeting is. I have mac OS not linux (although I do have a VM of Backtrack 5 kicking around someplace on my HD...haha). :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Samsung has released some official version of 2.3.4, and perhaps even 2.3.5, via KiES, for specific geographies and regions. However, if you purchased a localized SGS2 you will have to wait for the Thai Samsung subsidiary to localize a version. Until that is done you would not see any update via KiES.

Obviously there are less than official ways to update your phone but this may not be necessary? Are you having problems which you feel might be addressed in 2.3.4? I've been using a SGS2/i9100 (AIS) on 2.3.3 and it works well so not sure I want to introduce new software which invariably seems to cause problems?

Edited by lomatopo

I think I have the attraction of Android phones figured out. People who want a new hobby buy an Android phone for something to do. You can spend weeks and probably months fiddling with these high tech toys.

My question is what phone do you actually use when fiddling with these amazing devices? :blink:

I think I have the attraction of Android phones figured out. People who want a new hobby buy an Android phone for something to do. You can spend weeks and probably months fiddling with these high tech toys.

My question is what phone do you actually use when fiddling with these amazing devices? :blink:

I find the Galaxy S2 to run just fine straight out of the box.

Hello Gary, you like your toys, surprised you aint gone android yourself, wheres the watering hole now ? I have been to the place next to SCB a few times, never seen a farang though. Hows Roger?

I find the Galaxy S2 to run just fine straight out of the box.

Hello Gary, you like your toys, surprised you aint gone android yourself, wheres the watering hole now ? I have been to the place next to SCB a few times, never seen a farang though. Hows Roger?

My Nokia E 52 will do everything I want to do and much more. I dropped it a couple of times and had to replace the display. That cost a total of 500 baht and it works great again.

I had a touch screen phone and hated it. After Roger's laptop computer died I gave him my hated touchscreen phone because he can't afford to get another computer. He thinks that phone is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Call me when you get up this way and we'll tip a few.