American Guy Found Dead On Toilet

hiso1956

Found this on a local blog an American guy committed suicide in his Chiang Mai hotel room http://www.livingthai.org/american-man-dies-on-toilet-in-chiang-mai-thailand-hotel.html

I don't know what it is about Chiang Mai but from the news I hear all the time it's pretty common for people to come here to commit suicide.

Is Chiang Mai really that bad?

What makes you think it's just limited to Chang Mai? There are similar suicides almost daily in many parts of Thailand and some of them even happen with people who've managed to tape a plastic bag over their own head with their hands tied behind their back :rolleyes: . Not saying that happened in this case mind you but still it happens quite often :whistling: ..

I have lived here over 5 years now. Not sure where you hear all your news but for myself seldom hear about it.

Suicide is a world wide event. Most people think it only happens if they have read about it in their newspaper. In the western world it is not printed because it is not news it is just a common every day occurrence.

Of course there is always the Thai bashers looking for a platform to launch their bigotry on.

Why should it be any different here in Chiang Mai?

I have lived here over 5 years now. Not sure where you hear all your news but for myself seldom hear about it.

Suicide is a world wide event. Most people think it only happens if they have read about it in their newspaper. In the western world it is not printed because it is not news it is just a common every day occurrence.

Of course there is always the Thai bashers looking for a platform to launch their bigotry on.

Why should it be any different here in Chiang Mai?

Thai bashers or realists??

I've lived here years, and no, this doesn't seem to be a destination for people who want to commit suicide.

Don't worry, be happy..........:header:

Yeah right, wasn't there a thread here some time ago about Chiang Mai being paradise.

It's probably not Chiang Mai related as such, but could be other problems, money, marital or illness and wants out.

My guess is that most of the suicides are by people who have spent all their money and have to return to the West. It would be a terrible dilemma indeed.

Yes, but on a toilet? Not my choice for sure :)

I'm assuming no one who's posted here actually knew this guy. Sometimes the hypocrisy of posters is amazing, if some well know local farang is sick or dies, there is pages of respectful grief and sympathy posts citing how marvelous the person was, but when some unknown person dies in sad circumstances the usual bickering and smart arsed comments continue unabated.

Surely the deceased deserves some respect?

RIP and sympathy to his family and friends.

Many foreigners who come to Thailand are lonely and depressed, and for those who stay long term, there is a learning curve/culture shock to deal with. Some are substance abusers.

I don't find it strange that this shows up in the suicide statistics. Then, as mentioned, there are cases where expats are killed by their partner or business contacts/rivals, and the hit is made so as to look like it could have been suicide, at least if you don't look too closely.

lots of unreported events also.

A dutch guy who owned a bar on Loy Kroh recently was accidentally electrocuted in his own shower.

Hear say from a reliable friend but didn't see anything in the press or internet about it..

Be careful out there

Thats strange because i heard that he a blood clot that went to his heart and died in his sleep :o

lots of unreported events also.

A dutch guy who owned a bar on Loy Kroh recently was accidentally electrocuted in his own shower.

Hear say from a reliable friend but didn't see anything in the press or internet about it..

Be careful out there

Thats strange because i heard that he a blood clot that went to his heart and died in his sleep :o

beats me. probably my source heard it on the grapevine. She does work right near his old bar. This is the dutch bar near the Traveler hotel about midway down Loh Kroh?

Anyway another expat bites the dust. RIP

Thailand in general is an end of the road destination for people who move here. Similar to San Francisco in the US. People imagine geographical cures will change who they have always been inside. They ignore the warts on a holiday but when living here the warts fester. Its just as real a place as anywhere, arguably more so, certainly no paradise. So higher suicide rates for such destinations are part of the predictable package.

Edited by Jingthing

One derogatory post and its response has been deleted. Keep your issues to yourself to the poster who felt the need to slur someone else, no one wants to hear them, thanks.

The man has family somewhere, show some decency, cheers.

Thailand in general is an end of the road destination for people who move here. Similar to San Francisco in the US. People imagine geographical cures will change who they have always been inside. They ignore the warts on a holiday but when living here the warts fester. Its just as real a place as anywhere, arguably more so, certainly no paradise. So higher suicide rates for such destinations are part of the predictable package.

Very well put. So true...

It's so unfortunate that the Thai media make a big deal about this sort of thing, showing photos, etc. As noted before, suicides happen every day in the west and the media doesn't report it and they definitely don't show photos that could distress the family. We just think that Chiang Mai has "more than their share" of suicides because they're reported rather than being kept private as is done in the west.

And to those who didn't read the artcile closely enough to understand that this poor man seemed to have planned his death, let me inform you of how it's possible to die "while in the loo". It was ultimately ruled as the cause of Elvis Presley's death:

http://en.wikipedia....l_septal_defect

It entirely changed my dear mother's view of Elvis. She thought he was in the bathroom brushing his teeth when he had a heart attack.