Chalerm Vows To Help Get Fugitive Ex-PM Thaksin Pardoned

webfact

Like who? The whole Red Shirt movement is dedicated to Thaksin. Unless you can provide some specifics I can only regard your statement as completely delusional.

Well Khun Thida for one, she has been acting-leader of the UDD for perhaps a year-or-so, has stated that she isn't herself a Thaksin-supporter, which perhaps explains why she gets relatively-little support from within the movement, and wasn't nominated as a PTP party-list MP. B)

My point is, and I probably overstated it a little, is that clearly a large majority of the red-shirts are Thaksin supporters, and that most of its leaders, if not all of them, are more or less his puppets. Statements I sometimes see about how the red shirt movement is no longer about Thaksin just fly in the face of any objective observation of their activities. I believe that the return of Thaksin is still a main goal of most of the red-shirt movement and that is the main reason I have no respect for them.

I would agree absolutely with everything you say.

Khun Thida is one of the few Red-Shirts who don't support Thaksin, hence a sign that just-maybe, there may eventually emerge a political-movement of/for the poor, if only they can work past the current leadership & party-owner. But the lack-of-support she gets suggests that this may be a long time coming.

Hopefully the cynical way in which PTP & PM-Yingluck are betraying the poor, and rushing to cancel or water-down most of the pre-election promises which got them a 48.4% share of the 75% who bothered to vote, might persuade some of their grass-roots supporters of the need to dump their current leadership. One can only hope so. B)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Khun Thida is one of the few Red-Shirts who don't support Thaksin, hence a sign that just-maybe, there may eventually emerge a political-movement of/for the poor, if only they can work past the current leadership & party-owner. But the lack-of-support she gets suggests that this may be a long time coming.

Hopefully the cynical way in which PTP & PM-Yingluck are betraying the poor, and rushing to cancel or water-down most of the pre-election promises which got them a 48.4% share of the 75% who bothered to vote, might persuade some of their grass-roots supporters of the need to dump their current leadership. One can only hope so. B)

But then again, Khun Thida just happens to have gained the position of leader by virtue of being married to Weng Tojirikarn. The same Weng who was one of the three men that could have prevented last year's violence from ever occurring, if not for an SMS by an unknown hand. (More than likely the same hand who's brother said "allow him back and the protest will be ended", again long before the killing started). The same Weng who is now a PTP party list MP. It's a bit of a joke to have a pro democracy movement that is closely aligned, if not inextricably entwined, with a political party.

I think Thaksin's plan for the majority of the red shirts, ie/ the non leadership, unimportant, "common" members fits that of the Wikipedia definition::

"Redshirt" is a term for a stock character in fiction who dies soon after being introduced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirt_(character)

I'm sure you meant --- BUY THEM SO COMFORTABLY!

If he comes back a free man, mark my words, Thailand will not have free and fair elections again.

Why should Thaksin have a problem with free and fair elections since the parties he's associated with are able to win them so comfortably?

If he can win them so comfortably why does PTP persist in rampant vote buying?

But then again, Khun Thida just happens to have gained the position of leader by virtue of being married to Weng Tojirikarn. The same Weng who was one of the three men that could have prevented last year's violence from ever occurring, if not for an SMS by an unknown hand. (More than likely the same hand who's brother said "allow him back and the protest will be ended", again long before the killing started). The same Weng who is now a PTP party list MP. It's a bit of a joke to have a pro democracy movement that is closely aligned, if not inextricably entwined, with a political party.

I think Thaksin's plan for the majority of the red shirts, ie/ the non leadership, unimportant, "common" members fits that of the Wikipedia definition::

"Redshirt" is a term for a stock character in fiction who dies soon after being introduced.

http://en.wikipedia....hirt_(character)

Also with regards to Thida and her alleged/supposed lack of support for Thaksin, wasn't she one of the ones who turned up and gave her time, a week or two back, at the court house, to give moral support to Pojaman?

Why should Thaksin have a problem with free and fair elections since the parties he's associated with are able to win them so comfortably?

As i have already said, jayboy's rationale is exactly the same sort of rationale we heard before Thaksin became PM, concerning why he would be less corrupt (or perhaps even not corrupt at all) - because he didn't need to be - he was already rich.

Just as already rich people still cheat to get more money, already popular people still cheat to get more votes. At least they do when they are of Thaksin's moral fibre.

If he comes back a free man, mark my words, Thailand will not have free and fair elections again.

But according to Dem Korn the Thaksin party spend a lot less than other parties. Basically anyone involved in Thai politics know the Thaksin party has a lot less need to spend on vote buying as it has the biggest base of loyal voters who will vote for them with or without it.

A true mystery. Both Party dissoultions of his resulted from elections wherein wins were practical certainties.

People Power Party's dissolution from Yongyuth's openly brazen and documented vote buying when they were already assured of a win without it could be attributed to the sort of unmitigated gall and megalomaniac tendencies Thaksin is renowned for.

Enough is never enough for these types.

Edited by Buchholz

A true mystery. Both Party dissoultions of his resulted from elections wherein wins were practical certainties.

People Power Party's dissolution from Yongyuth's openly brazen and documented vote buying when they were already assured of a win without it could be attributed to the sort of unmitigated gall and megalomaniac tendencies Thaksin is renowned for.

So what is your view of the recent PTP electoral outcome. Was that a result of vote buying too? If no allegations have been proved by the EC to date and no red cards have been issued to PTP candidates, it would follow that the PTP are not persisting in rampant vote buying as alleged.

So what is your view of the recent PTP electoral outcome. Was that a result of vote buying too? If no allegations have been proved by the EC to date and no red cards have been issued to PTP candidates, it would follow that the PTP are not persisting in rampant vote buying as alleged.

If you have any Thai friends you will quickly be able to find some that have received payments. So let's not waste people's time with this word "alleged". It's a fact.

You believe that? Suggest you ask around, it was rampant, Udon Thai, Ubon, Roiet some quick examples, and there are many more areas where families were given 500 or 1,000 baht for every person in the family old enough to vote.

The EC never seem to really get their act together to fully investigate all of this, plus they say there are so many schemes that they can't check it all.

The Thai lady who works with me comes from Udon Thai. PT canvassers went to every house in that district and demanded to know the name, ID card number etc etc., of every person in the house old enough to vote. The family head was told 'check your letter box tomorrow morning'. Sure enough a plain envelopes with 1,000 X the number of people in that house eligible to vote and the people who were seem making the delivery not wearing red!

Edited by scorecard

That's the point regarding their first 2 dissolutions. They already knew the "electoral outcome" and there was no need for them to participate in any electoral fraud with their vote buying.... and yet, they did. The height of arrogance (and some would say, stupidity).

In regards to the EC and PTP's compliance with electoral law, the election was just recently done and many of their investigations run into a year after the fact. It's too soon to reliably know.

One would hope that they may improve on their slow-learner-special-education-like behavior that blatant vote-buying can result in your party being dissolved. Apparently they didn't comprehend that after the first dissolution and repeated the same error.

As i have already said, jayboy's rationale is exactly the same sort of rationale we heard before Thaksin became PM, concerning why he would be less corrupt (or perhaps even not corrupt at all) - because he didn't need to be - he was already rich.

Just as already rich people still cheat to get more money, already popular people still cheat to get more votes. At least they do when they are of Thaksin's moral fibre.

I was,nt aware that Thaksin had any morals, fibre or otherwise , :lol: :lol: :lol: Edited by Colin Yai

Considering Yingluck's promise that bringing home her brother Thaksin is not a priority, I wonder how fast the priority promises will be implemented.

Or maybe I just misunderstood the term "priority" .

Bringing home Thaksin not being a priority probably meant Bringing home Thaksin is the real and only goal of the government. Then step down and let him run he show.

here we go again, TIT :whistling: :whistling: :jap:

Meanwhile, the 10-member committee appointed by Justice Minister Pracha Promnok to look into the red shirts' petition for Thaksin's royal pardon will meet this afternoon to set the framework of its mission

Today, Pracha said the committee needs more time to evaluate the situation.

No timeline for completion was given.

Justice Ministry Spokesman Theerachai Wutthitham countered the remarks of Democrat MP for Songkhla Thaworn Senniam on the red-shirt group's signature campaign to seek a royal pardon for ousted former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The first option is, according to Article 259 of Criminal Procedure Act, the convicted submits a request to the Justice Minister himself, as he or she may or may not be serving the sentence at the time of the request.

Everything written after the 2nd comma above, ("as he or she may or may not be serving the sentence at the time of the request"), is pure fabrication.

The Article doesn't say that all.

It states only what was written before the 2nd comma above.

So who is right here, a thaivisa member or the Thailand Justice spokesman.... :blink:

hmmmmmmmmm personally Id go for the former rather than the latter

The other option as offered in numerous sources is that the PTP have gotten very good at hiding their vote buying antics.

According to the other paper, Peau Thai are planning a mass pardon of prisoners for HM's 84th birthday.

They say this is because that there are 90,000 more inmates than the jails can accommodate.

I'm not sure this is so they can find room for Thaksin, or so that they can slip his name on to the list, but either way, look forward to 90,000 crims back on the streets.

According to the other paper, Peau Thai are planning a mass pardon of prisoners for HM's 84th birthday.

They say this is because that there are 90,000 more inmates than the jails can accommodate.

I'm not sure this is so they can find room for Thaksin, or so that they can slip his name on to the list, but either way, look forward to 90,000 crims back on the streets.

As a side benefit a clever way to buy future votes?

The other option as offered in numerous sources is that the PTP have gotten very good at hiding their vote buying antics.

Yes, there was vote buying, and yes they are better at hiding it.

The EC has become a lame dog, they had numerous complaints submitted but no results.

In terms of their credibility look no further then the incident about 14 days just before the last election date, 4 out of the 5 election commissioners went overseas for 7 or 8 days to inspect the election set-up in a small European country, and when questioned about it, they gave no real explanation and displayed no conscience. They fight amongst themselves trying to be more important than each other, all destroying focus on what they should be doing. Proof for all to see, zero professionalism and zero credibility.

In fact they should have been charged with dereliction of duty.

Edited by scorecard

2 types of crime prevent an application for a pardon, a conviction for drugs or corruption. Thaksin's conviction is in the latter category, no doubt one reason why Chalerm is trying to overthrow the conviction.

Justice Ministry Spokesman Theerachai Wutthitham countered the remarks of Democrat MP for Songkhla Thaworn Senniam on the red-shirt group's signature campaign to seek a royal pardon for ousted former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The first option is, according to Article 259 of Criminal Procedure Act, the convicted submits a request to the Justice Minister himself, as he or she may or may not be serving the sentence at the time of the request.

Everything written after the 2nd comma above, ("as he or she may or may not be serving the sentence at the time of the request"), is pure fabrication.

The Article doesn't say that all.

It states only what was written before the 2nd comma above.

So who is right here, a thaivisa member or the Thailand Justice spokesman.... :blink:

hmmmmmmmmm personally Id go for the former rather than the latter

Who exactly is 'webfact'?

[

But according to Dem Korn the Thaksin party spend a lot less than other parties. Basically anyone involved in Thai politics know the Thaksin party has a lot less need to spend on vote buying as it has the biggest base of loyal voters who will vote for them with or without it.

1. When did Khun Korn say this, please share.

2, Big numbers of loyal voters really means they have been very successful at manipulating very large numbers of unaware poor rural folks.