Pillion Riders... Fun Or Problematic?

snowflake

So, come sunday I will pick up a girl with my ninja (no need for skinny tires) but my problem now is at what speed is it good to ride...

Normally I would not too fast due to the lack of engine (150cc 250cc) or 1200cc (she knew what was going to happen)... This girl does not, and I have tried to tell her, now, what is a decent but not too fast speed?

She has a helmet and some safety gear, but we have to ride 140 km for lunch, and then go back... I would do the run in less than 1 hour myself, but with her, how long would you guys recomend...

also, any tips on how to make her a better pillion rider?

Ihad the problem with my pillon rider.... she was scared first and dindt really trusted me. After we settled those issues she enjoyed even going faster :D So i think first of all if she is scared about driving not drive with her and then she has to trust you 100%.

I would say if she is used to bikes then she knows your going to go relatively fast.

start of slower and build up.. Only you can tell what is safe.

personally i would keep it below 150kmh just because your never sure what the pillion is going to do..rolleyes.gif

Also be aware if she's Thai. She may well fall asleepbiggrin.gif

She is not Thai, if that was the case I would be fairly on the spot to let her sleep with elastic bands holding us together...

She is not used to bikes, but she seemed to like it alot the other day (just a very very short trip in town)... but this is a bit longer...

Claws I agree with..

I was driving with a girl yesterday on the highway. When I approached 120 km/h she would feel uncomfortable.

This was mainly due to engine noise and the wind in her face, because her helmet didnt have one of those faceshields. Think with a proper helmet, she would prolly have felt better/safer.

:huh: I think your bike will decide, 150kmh is pushing it with 2up on your current ride, also consider other things like brakes etc with the extra weight, you will take longer to get up to speed and much longer to slow down again

he has a ninja650... surely capable of 2 up 150kmh... if not i would want my money back from Kawasaki B)

Wherever your helmet moves when you're riding, make sure she stays glued to the back of it when you going fast or relatively fast. That way her body will be in the general zone for optimum balance with you as the rider.

I have a lot of Thai's ask me whay my bike only seats one person, you can't take a passenger? My answer: 'exactly the reason why I bought it' :)

Edited by Garry

If she's not used to being a pillion I'd stick to around 120ish. If she gets too scared and tenses up she'll find it harder to balance and start to panic. That won't be any fun for her at all.

I don't think most Thai girls are bothered though. I took my ex-girlfriend quite a bit quicker than that and when we stopped she just said how much fun it was seeing the trees go past so quickly and I should have bought a 1000cc bike instead :lol:.

I ride with a passenger a lot, if they're average Thai girl size and very relaxed on the bike (going with your flow) then I don't notice it too much.

I ride with a passenger a lot, if they're average Thai girl size and very relaxed on the bike (going with your flow) then I don't notice it too much.

That might be an indication that she use to be a Sgoi. :crazy:

I would try wide open until she starts punching you in the kidneys. At that point back off 15 km/hr. If she bitches too much, leave her at the restaurant and she can thumb her way home.

Ok the above was a joke, my advice is speed is not as scary as being jerky and having rapid changes to speed or your line. Try not to accelerate or brake too quickly and slowly add speed, she will be more comfortable that way and won't really notice the pace. Set up a signal where she can let you know if she is getting nervous.

Is she able to speak? You might try asking her after a test run.

If 140 scares her senseless then you'll be a jerk for putting her through it. I knew a girl who was nervous about bikes so I kept it below 100. When we got where we were going she said she had never been on a bike going that fast before and she was scared the whole time.

lucky girl... It was raining so i arrived in the accord- now that put a smile on her face, and she put one on me...

She confessed to liking bikes but more excited in towns and short distances... She will get used to higher speeds, but not in the rain...

My wife is a true back-seat driver. She pokes, hits, pushes, hugs, and yells in my ear to let me know how she thinks I should be riding. I ignore her for the most part. laugh.gif

haha, this reminds me of my exGF. When we first came to Thailand we went to a local shop to rent a scooter. An automatic. I'd never driven one before. She claimed to have tried it before so she was the first one driving.

I kept encouraging her and telling her she was doing fine while sitting behind her, even when she made mistakes and what not.

Then it was my turn...

Oh my god, the stuff that I had to listen to. " Youre going too fast! Watch out for that truck! Watch out for that pothole! Watch out for that XX!!" Literally felt like knocking her off the bike as she was doing more harm than good :P

I had a girl on the back of my big ZX12R a long time ago, she was cool sitting there until I reached 260kmph... then a tap on my shoulder and she yelled "can you slow down please?" haha she said afterwards that it was scary but funny...

You could hear your pillion at 260kph...I'm impressed :huh: