What Golf Ball Do You Use?

kenny999

I use Top flight and Dunlop DDH,good balls and the price is reasonable, what are the real advantages of playing the more expensive balls like Titleist Pro V1 here in Phuket over 1800 bht for I think 12 balls!! obviously the information available says some balls spin more than other's providing you hit the ball correctly so is it worth spending more on a good ball if you are not hitting the ball correctly? what is the best ball for the least price?

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use Wilson Staff - Smart Core, mainly because I have about 30 dozen of them . . . however I do like them as they give you distance and spin . . . (if hit properly).

lol just bought some Dunlop power 12 balls for 395 bht, on box it says for advanced players, thats me!!! lol I think unless you are a very very low handicap or pro most of the balls available at a reasonable price are fine, spinning the ball is something most players are unable to do because of incorrect ball striking, I do spin the ball but not on every shot and if it does spin it only comes back maybe a foot or so...

Hi<br><br><br><br>Wow Kenny999 If I can buy prov or proV1X for that price I will be stocking up when we arrive in 35 days . they are 80 Aus $ here at the moment . In my oppinion (2 h/cap)alot of golfers use a ball that is not suitable for there game , alot of golfers also use a ball that is not suitable for the type of course they are playing either .. If your playing a course that has water on every hole unless your very wealthy I wouldn't be playing a proV1x thats for sure . <br><br>As for ball control there is a lot of technology in the balls these days .One that I recommend to higher handicappers that I play with is the Bridgestone range. Last years model of there top ball B330 (titleist proV1X )equivellent sell for 30 $ here in Australia 3100THB .. but the best thing about these balls is the reduced spin balls E5 E6 etc they are ideal for those who spray them a bit especially off the driver ..I know this sounds like an add for Bridgestone products but I am a TItleist man .. Although I did use the B330 on a recent golf trip for 4 days and was still impressed with them . They just dont spin quite as much (read that as stop as quick) of the good old prov's . <br><br><br>But really either just buy what you can afford or find something you like and stick with it ..<br><br><br>Looking forward to loosing a few ProV's in Phuket in 35 days <br>If anyone wants to recommend were to play (staying in Karon) would be gregtly appreciated<br>

Hi<br><br><br><br>Wow Kenny999 If I can buy prov or proV1X for that price I will be stocking up when we arrive in 35 days . they are 80 Aus $ here at the moment . In my oppinion (2 h/cap)alot of golfers use a ball that is not suitable for there game , alot of golfers also use a ball that is not suitable for the type of course they are playing either .. If your playing a course that has water on every hole unless your very wealthy I wouldn't be playing a proV1x thats for sure . <br><br>As for ball control there is a lot of technology in the balls these days .One that I recommend to higher handicappers that I play with is the Bridgestone range. Last years model of there top ball B330 (titleist proV1X )equivellent sell for 30 $ here in Australia 3100THB .. but the best thing about these balls is the reduced spin balls E5 E6 etc they are ideal for those who spray them a bit especially off the driver ..I know this sounds like an add for Bridgestone products but I am a TItleist man .. Although I did use the B330 on a recent golf trip for 4 days and was still impressed with them . They just dont spin quite as much (read that as stop as quick) of the good old prov's . <br><br><br>But really either just buy what you can afford or find something you like and stick with it ..<br><br><br>Looking forward to loosing a few ProV's in Phuket in 35 days <br>If anyone wants to recommend were to play (staying in Karon) would be gregtly appreciated<br>

Hi mate, yes I have seen the Titleist(not sure now if it was the Pro V1, the ones I saw were 1800 bht for might be 9 balls, will check again next time I am in Central, yes I play what I can afford, Dunlop Power, DDH and Top flight balls are all at a reasonable price and play well(6 handicap, as for playing here on Phuket: are you sitting down!! the cheapest good course will set you back minimum 4000 bht and goes up to over 6000 bht for 18 holes, Loch Palm, Blue Canyon, Laguna, Red Mountain, Phuket country park etc all over 4000 bht, the only course on Phuket that is reasonable is Phunaka in Chalong, this is a short 9 hole course with 6 par 3's 2 par 4's and 1 par 5, this will be I think 2000 bht starting 1st October, I like it there as it is the only course I can afford to play, I will not be playing it at 2000 bht as I do not think it is worth this price and the game is over quickly, so in the future I will be making the journey to Surat Thani about 100 kms from Phuket, Rajjabami Dam course, Mon to Fri 600 bht, I have been told this course is every bit as good as Blue Canyon!!1

I will find out exactly how much the Pro V1 balls are and let you know..

Hi mate, yes I have seen the Titleist(not sure now if it was the Pro V1, the ones I saw were 1800 bht for might be 9 balls, will check again next time I am in Central, yes I play what I can afford, Dunlop Power, DDH and Top flight balls are all at a reasonable price and play well(6 handicap,not an official handicap, I adjust what I think I am depending on my rounds, as for playing here on Phuket: are you sitting down!! the cheapest good course will set you back minimum 4000 bht and goes up to over 6000 bht for 18 holes, Loch Palm, Blue Canyon, Laguna, Red Mountain, Phuket country park etc all over 4000 bht, the only course on Phuket that is reasonable is Phunaka in Chalong, this is a short 9 hole course with 6 par 3's 2 par 4's and 1 par 5, this will be I think 2000 bht starting 1st October, I like it there as it is the only course I can afford to play, I will not be playing it at 2000 bht as I do not think it is worth this price and the game is over quickly, so in the future I will be making the journey to Surat Thani about 100 kms from Phuket, Rajjabami Dam course, Mon to Fri 600 bht, I have been told this course is every bit as good as Blue Canyon!!1

Forgot to mention Phuket country club have 2 courses, 18 hole and 9 hole I think the 9 hole course is approx 2500 bht for 18 but can not confirm this..

Edited by kenny999

I usually use the mixed bag of balls often sold outside the courses 10-15 for 100 baht.

Most of them are balls are I had bought before.

That is certainly the best option as most of the balls are of a good make!! and as you say some of them you owned before!!

Hi mate, yes I have seen the Titleist(not sure now if it was the Pro V1, the ones I saw were 1800 bht for might be 9 balls, will check again next time I am in Central, yes I play what I can afford, Dunlop Power, DDH and Top flight balls are all at a reasonable price and play well(6 handicap, as for playing here on Phuket: are you sitting down!! the cheapest good course will set you back minimum 4000 bht and goes up to over 6000 bht for 18 holes, Loch Palm, Blue Canyon, Laguna, Red Mountain, Phuket country park etc all over 4000 bht, the only course on Phuket that is reasonable is Phunaka in Chalong, this is a short 9 hole course with 6 par 3's 2 par 4's and 1 par 5, this will be I think 2000 bht starting 1st October, I like it there as it is the only course I can afford to play, I will not be playing it at 2000 bht as I do not think it is worth this price and the game is over quickly, so in the future I will be making the journey to Surat Thani about 100 kms from Phuket, Rajjabami Dam course, Mon to Fri 600 bht, I have been told this course is every bit as good as Blue Canyon!!1

Hi

Yes I've seen the prices but hey I will be on holidays so i'm going to treat myself to a couple of days out .. Really want to play Red mountain and Blue canyon and maybe one more if Wifey lets me (LOL) but I really would like to go with an organised group . I dont want to just turn up and play solo , I can do that at home ....What info can you give me about Thaniya plaza in Bangkok. We have 4 nights in Bangkok prior to our 10 in Phuket ..I have had a look online about Thaniya , not interested in buying clubs(only support our local pro ) but keen for plenty off accessories (clothes , hats , shirts,etc)

Hi

Yes I've seen the prices but hey I will be on holidays so i'm going to treat myself to a couple of days out .. Really want to play Red mountain and Blue canyon and maybe one more if Wifey lets me (LOL) but I really would like to go with an organised group . I dont want to just turn up and play solo , I can do that at home ....What info can you give me about Thaniya plaza in Bangkok. We have 4 nights in Bangkok prior to our 10 in Phuket ..I have had a look online about Thaniya , not interested in buying clubs(only support our local pro ) but keen for plenty off accessories (clothes , hats , shirts,etc)

Sorry have no idea about Thania and only been to Bangkok one time, every thing here in Phuket is the same price as the UK so you can not make any savings.

I once played in a company event where one of the invitees in my group played with nothing but a 5-iron and a 20 year old Top Flite XL in fluorescent orange. He shot 72. I played with 14 clubs in the bag and a PRO V1. I shot 73, so clearly he played the better ball.

I once played in a company event where one of the invitees in my group played with nothing but a 5-iron and a 20 year old Top Flite XL in fluorescent orange. He shot 72. I played with 14 clubs in the bag and a PRO V1. I shot 73, so clearly he played the better ball.

I have played Top flight balls and Dunlop DDH ever since I was 14 yrs old I am now 55 so there can not be a lot wrong with them as your example also proves, some of these balls i:e Titleist PRO V1 are so expensive, to use them and lose them is a scary thought!

Edited by kenny999

I usually use the mixed bag of balls often sold outside the courses 10-15 for 100 baht.

I use the white ones, they're good enough for me.

I would not have bothered starting this thread if it is just about using a certain color, so do the white balls spin more than the yellow ones??? are the white ones more expensive than the orange ones? do the white ones go further than the afore mentioned colors? manufactures just don't let you know it's all about the color!!

This is an concept practiced all over the world. In Spain, for instance, you buy the balls before you tee of and the next day there's a suspicious character who appears out if the bushes on the course and sells the same ball to you again. I sometimes claim that you never buy a golf ball, you only lease it.

I have played Top flight balls and Dunlop DDH ever since I was 14 yrs old I am now 55 so there can not be a lot wrong with them as your example also proves,

I was thinking more in terms of "it might not be the ball, it could be the player" ...

The player yes but it also proves that the ball is not as important as the manufactures would have you believe!!

The choice of ball is there for every one to see and buy, if you are very wealthy and a player that never loses balls then the Titleist PRO V1 or similar expensive ball will be your choice, for me it is the ball I can afford, I will treat myself to maybe 3 PRO V1's and just use them on very open holes lol

Edited by kenny999

The ball I use is brilliant.

Hit it in the rough and it gives out little puffs of smoke so you can locate it.

Hit it in the water and it floats to the surface so you can get it.

Hit it in the trees and it gives out a beeping noise so you can find it.

Don't know where you get them from because I found mine. :lol:

The ball I use is brilliant.

Hit it in the rough and it gives out little puffs of smoke so you can locate it.

Hit it in the water and it floats to the surface so you can get it.

Hit it in the trees and it gives out a beeping noise so you can find it.

Don't know where you get them from because I found mine. :lol:

Technology now days is wonderful, in a ball which is so small it can contain a smoke generator, Polly balls, and a device to create a bleep, where will it all end!!

The player yes but it also proves that the ball is not as important as the manufactures would have you believe!!

I disagree. I think the ball is VERY important, probably even more important to a hacker than a PRO.

Feel free to enlighten us all with your knowledge!!

It would also be interesting to know your definition of the word hacker!! if you mean some one that can not hit the ball correctly then how will he benefit from a good ball, at the end of the day the ball has to be struck with a square club face and a down ward strike to impart that spin, if the hacker can not do this then I can not see how a good ball will help him!!

Edited by kenny999

I disagree. I think the ball is VERY important, probably even more important to a hacker than a PRO.

It would also be interesting to know your definition of the word hacker!! if you mean some one that can not hit the ball correctly then how will he benefit from a good ball, at the end of the day the ball has to be struck with a square club face and a down ward strike to impart that spin, if the hacker can not do this then I can not see how a good ball will help him!!

I would say there are two definitions of a hacker. One is my own definition of someone who isn't a professional golfer, or at least not good enough to shoot under par regularly at the home course.

Then there's the "bullshit walks"- hacker who claims to have a degree of knowledge, but in reality doesn't have a freakin' clue what he's talking about - you usually finds these hackers at the driving range giving advice to others.

There's always been a degree of development in the sport of golf, but nothing like we've seen the past 10 years. The golf ball, in particular, has been revolutionized. A lot of people tend to believe that the reason for their 240 yard drives (trust me, not many players hit as far as they think they do) is their new titanium driver, when the biggest reason is the ball. It's the ball that's been developed.

The good thing with golf ball development is that you are no longer bound to play the same type of golf ball, but can choose the ball that fits your game. There are golf balls that will fit pretty much every type of player; those who hit it low, those who hit it high and so on. If you slice like crazy perhaps you'd want to try a low spinning ball to minimize the impact of the slice. If you dont hit it very far you may go for a ball that gets airborne easier. Golf balls are designed for specific aerodynamic properties, and with PRO V1x, for instance, you are required to give the ball enough speed in order to take advantage of those abilities. I sometimes play with hackers who use that ball, and I always wonder if they are aware that they play a ball that actually makes them hit it SHORTER than if they would use a softer golf ball...?

Personally, I play PRO V1. I have enough swing speed to take advantage of the PRO V1x, but I prefer the softer version for more feel around the greens. I also like to work the ball either way, and I find it much easier with the PRO V1 rather than the PRO V1x.

You appears to be of the opinion that a good golf ball is an expensive golf ball, which is, of course, not true. A good golf ball is a ball that fits your game, your swing, your feeling and makes you shoot lower scores.

Edited by Forethat

As a hacker, I sometimes lose a ball into the water or somewhere else, but the biggest reason for dismissing a golf ball is the wedges. If I play a normal golf course with friends and dont play from the tips I hit a sand wedge or gap wedge to the green on pretty much every other hole. That means I will literary rip the ball to pieces. Here's what it looks like when you hit a sand wedge 120 yards and strike the ball properly.

post-98752-0-55968600-1315814752_thumb.j

I would say there are two definitions of a hacker. One is my own definition of someone who isn't a professional golfer, or at least not good enough to shoot under par regularly at the home course.

Then there's the "bullshit walks"- hacker who claims to have a degree of knowledge, but in reality doesn't have a freakin' clue what he's talking about - you usually finds these hackers at the driving range giving advice to others.

There's always been a degree of development in the sport of golf, but nothing like we've seen the past 10 years. The golf ball, in particular, has been revolutionized. A lot of people tend to believe that the reason for their 240 yard drives (trust me, not many players hit as far as they think they do) i the new titanium driver, when the biggest reason is the ball. It's ball that's been developed.

The good thing with golf ball development is that you are no longer bound to play the same type of golf ball, but can choose the ball that fits your game. There are golf balls that will fit pretty much every type of player; those who hit it low, those who hit it high and so on. If you slice like crazy perhaps you'd want to try a low spinning ball to minimize the impact of the slice. Golf balls are designed for specific aerodynamic properties, and with PRO V1x, for instance, you are required to give the ball enough speed in order to take advantage of those abilities. I sometimes play with hackers who use that ball, and I always wonder if they are aware that they play a ball that actually makes them hot SHORTER...?

Personally, I play PRO V1. I have enough swing speed to take advantage of the PRO V1x, but I prefer the softer version for more feel around the greens. I also like to work the ball either way, and I find it much easier with the PRO V1 rather than the PRO V1x.

You appears to be of the opinion that a good golf ball is an expensive golf ball, which is, of course, not true. A good golf ball is a ball that fits your game, your swing, your feeling and makes you shoot lower scores.

Nice one mate with the section on bullshit walks thingy, directed at me of course(you will come back and say not directed at you of course, so lets analyze it, the only knowledge I have is my opinion, yes I know what I am talking about but obviously not in the same league as you being the great golfer, but none of us know that as you refuse to divulge any information regarding your golfing prowess, stating the reason being as personal information, what a load of tosh!! no I do not give any advice too any one at the driving range as I do not know them, my mates ask me because I am better than them and they do not want to waste money on a teacher, yes they are now better, really do not see the need to attack some one, maybe there is some thing you are not telling us, forums are for discussion and airing your opinions whether they be right or wrong, so one thing I always make clear to people is calm down take a chill pill Phil..

As for balls it is what you can afford after looking at all the different balls and what they can do, but most golfers will just buy a ball!!

As a hacker, I sometimes lose a ball into the water or somewhere else, but the biggest reason for dismissing a golf ball is the wedges. If I play a normal golf course with friends and dont play from the tips I hit a sand wedge or gap wedge to the green on pretty much every other hole. That means I will literary rip the ball to pieces. Here's what it looks like when you hit a sand wedge 120 yards and strike the ball properly.

Ha ha I can so show you a ball just as new as that, the picture is proving what exactly. it's a new never been used ball. lol

Nice one mate with the section on bullshit walks thingy, directed at me of course(you will come back and say not directed at you of course, so lets analyze it, the only knowledge I have is my opinion, yes I know what I am talking about but obviously not in the same league as you being the great golfer, but none of us know that as you refuse to divulge any information regarding your golfing prowess, stating the reason being as personal information, what a load of tosh!! no I do not give any advice too any one at the driving range as I do not know them, my mates ask me because I am better than them and they do not want to waste money on a teacher, yes they are now better, really do not see the need to attack some one, maybe there is some thing you are not telling us, forums are for discussion and airing your opinions whether they be right or wrong, so one thing I always make clear to people is calm down take a chill pill Phil..

As for balls it is what you can afford after looking at all the different balls and what they can do, but most golfers will just buy a ball!!

If you dont like to hear answers perhaps you should stop asking questions, then...?

It would also be interesting to know your definition of the word hacker!!

In case you missed it, here's the answer one more time:

Ha ha I can so show you a ball just as new as that, the picture is proving what exactly. it's a new never been used ball. lol

I certainly hope that your golf game is making more sense than your writing. I'd say this one was out of bounce, in the water amongst the trees all at the same time.

I'll give you a mulligan.

If you dont like to hear answers perhaps you should stop asking questions, then...?

It would also be interesting to know your definition of the word hacker!!

In case you missed it, here's the answer one more time:

Asking questions is how you learn or is that some thing you do not know? yes I do know your 2nd hacker definition is directed at me(I am really not that stupid, and it's not a problem mate it's just typed words on a computer to some one you don't know and will never meet, no need to back track, be honest I always am!!

Forgot to add lol

Edited by kenny999

[quote name='Forethat' timestamp='1315815784' post='4691831In case you missed it, here's the answer one more time:

That would make just about every one I know who plays golf up here in Chiang Mai a hacker!